Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2002, 06:10 PM
Steveww Steveww is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 14
Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Need help with V1 DIY Install

I have a2002 325xi (built 5/02). I'm doing the V1 install described at:
http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_V1.htm

When I removed the center panel, I found two wiring harnesses but they do not match up with the instructions: I found a 3-wire harness with a black (not white) connector, and the wire colors are not the same as those in the instructions. I also found a 5-wire harness which has a white (not black) connector; this harness did have a green-with-blue-stripe wire, which I tried, but it did not work. (I've previously wired my V1 into another vehicle, so I know how to use the connector tap.)

Is it possible I found the wrong harnesses? (How many unused harnesses can be up there?) The ones I found were easy to find-- I did not have to reach far to the right side of the car. Any suggestions at this point?

Btw, what are these two connectors used for?
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 07-21-2002, 09:33 PM
The HACK's Avatar
The HACK The HACK is offline
Rest in peace, Coach
Location: People's Republic of United States
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,106
Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Re: Need help with V1 DIY Install

Quote:
Originally posted by Steveww
I have a2002 325xi (built 5/02). I'm doing the V1 install described at:
http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_V1.htm

When I removed the center panel, I found two wiring harnesses but they do not match up with the instructions: I found a 3-wire harness with a black (not white) connector, and the wire colors are not the same as those in the instructions. I also found a 5-wire harness which has a white (not black) connector; this harness did have a green-with-blue-stripe wire, which I tried, but it did not work. (I've previously wired my V1 into another vehicle, so I know how to use the connector tap.)

Is it possible I found the wrong harnesses? (How many unused harnesses can be up there?) The ones I found were easy to find-- I did not have to reach far to the right side of the car. Any suggestions at this point?

Btw, what are these two connectors used for?
The black harness is for the phone microphone. Keep digging in that general direction and you'll find the harness with the white plugs.

It sounds funny how the other harness isn't working. The wires in our cars are color coded.
__________________
Quote:
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
  #3  
Old 07-22-2002, 08:26 AM
FireFly FireFly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Granite State
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,620
Mein Auto: 330xi
Keep digging up on the passenger side and you'll find it. I also found the wrong harness but after looking and looking for the right one, finally found it and it works great.
__________________
330xi (sold)
1965 C2 Roadster
2005 X3 3.0
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara
  #4  
Old 09-08-2003, 01:25 PM
operknockity's Avatar
operknockity operknockity is offline
My TARDIS is a BMW
Location: On the bleeding edge of last week
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,353
Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
Keep digging up on the passenger side and you'll find it. I also found the wrong harness but after looking and looking for the right one, finally found it and it works great.
Mine was nicely burried on the passenger side of the mirror. You might have to dig for it. Ignore any of the other harnesses (all the ones on the left side).
__________________
How many posts could a repost post if a repost could post posts?

  #5  
Old 09-08-2003, 05:16 PM
remington's Avatar
remington remington is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California Sunshine
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 159
Mein Auto: 05 545i
I also noted that the striping color in mine was slightly different than the description in the DIY instructions, I can't remember the details but it said green stripe and it was blue on mine or something like that. I just picked the wire that best fit the DIY description and it worked fine.
__________________
2006 E46 M3
  #6  
Old 09-08-2003, 06:55 PM
operknockity's Avatar
operknockity operknockity is offline
My TARDIS is a BMW
Location: On the bleeding edge of last week
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,353
Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by remington
I also noted that the striping color in mine was slightly different than the description in the DIY instructions, I can't remember the details but it said green stripe and it was blue on mine or something like that. I just picked the wire that best fit the DIY description and it worked fine.
As long as it works and the power is switched on/off with the ignition switch you'll be fine. On mine the wires matched the described color scheme exactly. Though I believe the brown wire is actually ground (0 volts) rather than -12.
__________________
How many posts could a repost post if a repost could post posts?

  #7  
Old 09-16-2003, 05:39 PM
Scooter086 Scooter086 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 325i
will this install be similar to a '95 325i? Is there a DIY article anyone knows aobut for older bimmers? Thanks.
 

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V1 install justcor E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) 10 04-30-2003 07:46 AM
DIY alarm install on wagon tenorGJ 3 Series / 4 Series 4 04-15-2003 04:20 PM
Xenon and V1 install today bmargolis E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) 3 03-28-2003 08:41 AM
where'd you install your v1? (..want pics) palooka666 3 Series / 4 Series 15 12-14-2002 01:25 PM
Just ordered my V1, how do I install it? Cowboy 3 Series / 4 Series 3 02-04-2002 09:08 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms