Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 07-21-2002, 06:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Need help with V1 DIY Install

I have a2002 325xi (built 5/02). I'm doing the V1 install described at:
http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_V1.htm

When I removed the center panel, I found two wiring harnesses but they do not match up with the instructions: I found a 3-wire harness with a black (not white) connector, and the wire colors are not the same as those in the instructions. I also found a 5-wire harness which has a white (not black) connector; this harness did have a green-with-blue-stripe wire, which I tried, but it did not work. (I've previously wired my V1 into another vehicle, so I know how to use the connector tap.)

Is it possible I found the wrong harnesses? (How many unused harnesses can be up there?) The ones I found were easy to find-- I did not have to reach far to the right side of the car. Any suggestions at this point?

Btw, what are these two connectors used for?
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2002, 09:33 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Re: Need help with V1 DIY Install

Quote:
Originally posted by Steveww
I have a2002 325xi (built 5/02). I'm doing the V1 install described at:
http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_V1.htm

When I removed the center panel, I found two wiring harnesses but they do not match up with the instructions: I found a 3-wire harness with a black (not white) connector, and the wire colors are not the same as those in the instructions. I also found a 5-wire harness which has a white (not black) connector; this harness did have a green-with-blue-stripe wire, which I tried, but it did not work. (I've previously wired my V1 into another vehicle, so I know how to use the connector tap.)

Is it possible I found the wrong harnesses? (How many unused harnesses can be up there?) The ones I found were easy to find-- I did not have to reach far to the right side of the car. Any suggestions at this point?

Btw, what are these two connectors used for?
The black harness is for the phone microphone. Keep digging in that general direction and you'll find the harness with the white plugs.

It sounds funny how the other harness isn't working. The wires in our cars are color coded.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 330xi
Keep digging up on the passenger side and you'll find it. I also found the wrong harness but after looking and looking for the right one, finally found it and it works great.
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara
Old 09-08-2003, 01:25 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
Keep digging up on the passenger side and you'll find it. I also found the wrong harness but after looking and looking for the right one, finally found it and it works great.
Mine was nicely burried on the passenger side of the mirror. You might have to dig for it. Ignore any of the other harnesses (all the ones on the left side).

Old 09-08-2003, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 05 545i
I also noted that the striping color in mine was slightly different than the description in the DIY instructions, I can't remember the details but it said green stripe and it was blue on mine or something like that. I just picked the wire that best fit the DIY description and it worked fine.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:55 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by remington
I also noted that the striping color in mine was slightly different than the description in the DIY instructions, I can't remember the details but it said green stripe and it was blue on mine or something like that. I just picked the wire that best fit the DIY description and it worked fine.
As long as it works and the power is switched on/off with the ignition switch you'll be fine. On mine the wires matched the described color scheme exactly. Though I believe the brown wire is actually ground (0 volts) rather than -12.

Old 09-16-2003, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 325i
will this install be similar to a '95 325i? Is there a DIY article anyone knows aobut for older bimmers? Thanks.