Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-06-2005, 10:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to eston
Mein Auto: 2001 330xi
Well I think my clutch is pretty close to gone

Today I went out for a bit of a spirited drive.

Usually when I drive my 330 i'm driving like a grandma. I rarely shift above 3000rpm. Today I went out and played on the clutch, shifting around 5-6k every time, 80-85% throttle on some backcountry chicanes. It was fun.

Unfortunately, now my clutch is mad. I wasn't riding on the clutch at all. I've got 67k on the clock.

I was in first at 3000rpm today and not even above the 10mph mark. I was cruising down a street at 35 in 3rd and my revs were pretty high; I let off the gas for a sec and got back on it, and the clutch seemed to have finally caught. The car feels pretty much torqueless and the clutch pedal feels like sticking my foot into butter.

Time for a new clutch? Time for a new something. How much do you think this'll cost me?
Old 05-06-2005, 10:44 PM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
~$700 for a new clutch at a good independant mechanic

67K isn't bad. I made it 55K on my 325 when I sold it, and the clutch was still grabbing like new. When you downshift, do you rev match (aka heel-toe) or do you speed up the engine with the momentum of the car?

Old 05-06-2005, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63
~$700 for a new clutch at a good independant mechanic

67K isn't bad. I made it 55K on my 325 when I sold it, and the clutch was still grabbing like new. When you downshift, do you rev match (aka heel-toe) or do you speed up the engine with the momentum of the car?
I just speed up the engine with the momentum of the car.

Edit: Unless I'm driving aggressively.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 3x330,AMV8,996GT2
That's a good way to kill the clutch... The momentum method.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutme
That's a good way to kill the clutch... The momentum method.

Funny thing is just about everyone I know downshifts this way. I'm always rev-matching and blipping the throttle on downshifts, and some folks think I'm weird or don't know how to drive.

edit -

eston,

How many rpms do you give the car when you get going from a stop and about how long would you say you let the clutch slip and how much gas do you give it while doing so?

Also, when you upshift do you try to let the clutch out before the rpms fall too far, or do you shift slow and if the rpms fall to low do you let the momentum bring them back up?

Do you add alot of throttle when shifiting gears before your foot is off the clutch pedal?

What percentage of your everyday driving is stop and go traffic?

What about hills, do you have a lot of them which you must go up from a complete stop? Are you good at getting started on a hill?

Last edited by Moderato; 05-07-2005 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
Funny thing is just about everyone I know downshifts this way. I'm always rev-matching and blipping the throttle on downshifts, and some folks think I'm weird or don't know how to drive.

edit -

eston,

How many rpms do you give the car when you get going from a stop and about how long would you say you let the clutch slip and how much gas do you give it while doing so?
Enough to keep it from stalling. I don't let the clutch slip for very long, and I give it enough throttle to get it to move. I don't hammer on it.

Quote:
Also, when you upshift do you try to let the clutch out before the rpms fall too far, or do you shift slow and if the rpms fall to low do you let the momentum bring them back up?

Do you add alot of throttle when shifiting gears before your foot is off the clutch pedal?
I'll try to let the clutch out at a point where I don't feel any engine braking.

Quote:
What percentage of your everyday driving is stop and go traffic?
I live in a downtown area of a city. I'd say it's a 50/50 split.

Quote:
What about hills, do you have a lot of them which you must go up from a complete stop?
Are you good at getting started on a hill?
No, not a lot of hills, and yes, I can start quickly on a hill with no issues.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:51 AM

My suggestion is to learn how to rev match (downshifting when you don't need to brake) and heel-toe (downshifting when you DO need to brake to slow down).

Tons of threads on the subject, just click the search up top.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:53 AM

Quote:
My suggestion is to learn how to rev match (downshifting when you don't need to brake) and heel-toe (downshifting when you DO need to brake to slow down).

Tons of threads on the subject, just click the search up top.
I'll keep this in mind; I don't want to have to spend the money to buy a new clutch all the time.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eston
Enough to keep it from stalling. I don't let the clutch slip for very long, and I give it enough throttle to get it to move. I don't hammer on it.

I'll try to let the clutch out at a point where I don't feel any engine braking.

I live in a downtown area of a city. I'd say it's a 50/50 split.

No, not a lot of hills, and yes, I can start quickly on a hill with no issues.
Sounds like your driving is similar to mine. I always rev-match my downshifts as well. I hope my clutch lasts longer then 70K miles.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Sounds like your driving is similar to mine. I always rev-match my downshifts as well. I hope my clutch lasts longer then 70K miles.
With the CDV back in it won't

Old 05-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Praetorian

Quote:

Seriously though, I've been very careful with not getting on the gas until I feel the clutch is completely engaged, so I think it'll be OK.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:28 AM

Quote:
For the first month I had my car, dealing with that thing was hell.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 3x330,AMV8,996GT2
Quote:

Do you get looks from random people on the sidewalks when you're blipping and making ..say.. a 90 degree right hander? WTF is that guy doing?
Old 05-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutme
Do you get looks from random people on the sidewalks when you're blipping and making ..say.. a 90 degree right hander? WTF is that guy doing?
Yes.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:49 PM

Well, the issue continues. It's going to Nikolas Motorsport in Sylvan Lake, and I'll fix whatever I can on $1000.

I've now got driveline whine (transmission whine?) at roughly 2250 rpm in third through fifth. Car doesn't slip at all even at 80mph on the highway. I've got the clutch engaging now but the clutch pedal is still mushy, which is leading me to believe that this may be a slave cylinder/throw out bearing issue. Hopefully nothing nastier's broken in the front end.

Also, my left front wheel bearing is totally shot; it's loud as can be. That gets fixed regardless. I'll report back in the morning.