Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 05-07-2005, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Wet Sanding your BMW

Has anyone wet sanded there bmw. I am thinking of doing this and would like some input. I want that orange peel of the car aswell and have that mirror finish.
Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 05-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
This technique is known as "color sanding", and is NOT a job for an amateur.... BMWs have a two-stage paint job, with a color coat, topped by a clear coat. You don`t know if the orange peel is in the bottom layer, top layer, or both. As they say on TV, "Don`t attempt this at home!". The most effective place to start is to get a can of white rubbing compound, and apply it with a piece of *wet* terry-cloth towel, rubbing it to a haze, then removing any residual compound with a clean towel. Don`t use too much pressure on the high spots, or you`ll rub right thru the paint....it`s the thinnest here. Wax immediately, or the unprotected paint will quickly begin to oxidize. A good compound & wax job will improve any paint job.

Regards,
Bob
Old 05-07-2005, 07:01 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
You want advice? Ok, DON'T do that.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:35 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
I would not recommend you try to color sand your BMW.

Unless you know exactly what you're doing, I can virtually guarantee you'll burn right through the clear coat - even with 2000 grit paper. Better to live with a bit of orange peel, it's a fact of life in the loc VOC water-based paint. Color sanding the clear will be useless if the peel is in the primer or the base coat.

To give you some idea of color-sanding and the gloss it produces, here is a picture of my MGB hood. It has about 6 coats of wet sanded PRIMER and 4 coats of color sanded Glasurit acrylic urethane topcoat (no clear). A paint job like this starts somewhere around $3000.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Stunning MGB!

Old 05-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP
I would not recommend you try to color sand your BMW.

Unless you know exactly what you're doing, I can virtually guarantee you'll burn right through the clear coat - even with 2000 grit paper. Better to live with a bit of orange peel, it's a fact of life in the loc VOC water-based paint. Color sanding the clear will be useless if the peel is in the primer or the base coat.

To give you some idea of color-sanding and the gloss it produces, here is a picture of my MGB hood. It has about 6 coats of wet sanded PRIMER and 4 coats of color sanded Glasurit acrylic urethane topcoat (no clear). A paint job like this starts somewhere around $3000.

Beautiful job, Scott....that`s a real labor of love. You`re absolutely right....a first-class paint job starts with carefully prepping the bare metal, and working your way up....there`s no quick & easy way....just a *lot* of hours.
P.S.: I`ll bet you know a thing or three about Lucas electrics.... :-)

Regards,
Bob
Old 05-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 X5 35i
Color sanding should only be done by someone who knows what they are doing.
Its not very hard, but you have to know exactly when to stop. My advice would be to watch someone who knows how and have them supervise while you try it out.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Master Lurker

Mein Auto: 73/2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisces328i
Has anyone wet sanded there bmw. I am thinking of doing this and would like some input. I want that orange peel of the car aswell and have that mirror finish.
Thanks
Bad idea.

1973 Verona 2002
Old 05-08-2005, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: '09 E92 M3, '03 330i ZSP
There is probably not enough material everywhere to take from to get the desired results. Definitely not for the novice or faint of heart.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
might be a good preparation and motivation for a full respray though
Old 05-08-2005, 12:17 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
I did it in spots but would never attempt it on entire car. You need knowledge, paint thickness gauge (few hundred bucks for a good one), rotary buffer and lot's of compound and polish. DON'T DO IT!
Old 05-08-2005, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330xi
I tried and failed!

I tried to "fix up" a small spot on the rear bumper of my car (2002 330xi). The spot was about the size of a quarter. After about three days of wet sanding, compounding, polishing and using clear coat....the spot is just as bad and is about 2 inches by 3 inches. Needless to say, it's going to the body shop tomorrow!

That was a $400.00 lesson I'll never forget!!
Old 05-08-2005, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330 Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Stunning MGB!

Tell us more about it!
Old 05-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Ich bin ein Bimmerer

Mein Auto: 04 ZHP/4
Just a wild stab, but me thinks the safest way to do this (with professional assistance or not) would be to apply an additional clear coat, and then begin the color sanding, just to make sure there is enough material to level out before getting to the paint. This, to me, seems prohibitively expensive for the gains attained, unless the car is to become a professional show car.

As others have said, you don't know what level the texture is in, so making all the higher spots level may remove all the clearcoat, leaving you with clearcoat only in the untouched valleys.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSPDiver
Just a wild stab, but me thinks the safest way to do this (with professional assistance or not) would be to apply an additional clear coat, and then begin the color sanding, just to make sure there is enough material to level out before getting to the paint. This, to me, seems prohibitively expensive for the gains attained, unless the car is to become a professional show car.

As others have said, you don't know what level the texture is in, so making all the higher spots level may remove all the clearcoat, leaving you with clearcoat only in the untouched valleys.
Nice thought, but it would only serve to showcase every bit of orange peel that remains below that smooth new clear coat.

Regards,
Bob
Old 05-09-2005, 03:13 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fester

Tell us more about it!
I bought it in 1992 to play around with for the summer - it was pretty much a basket case. I got a bit carried away and spent the next 8 years restoring it - nut/bolt restoration. Everything was rebuilt, replated, repainted, reupholstered, etc. I did all of the mechanical and trim and body work - except the final prep/respray/finishing.

These are not for the faint of heart... here are some before photos and an after of the enginebay:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sillold.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	49927   Click image for larger version

Name:	doorsill.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	49928   Click image for larger version

Name:	enginebay2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	49929  
Old 05-09-2005, 03:28 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Quote:
I bought it in 1992 to play around with for the summer - it was pretty much a basket case. I got a bit carried away and spent the next 8 years restoring it - nut/bolt restoration. Everything was rebuilt, replated, repainted, reupholstered, etc. I did all of the mechanical and trim and body work - except the final prep/respray/finishing.

These are not for the faint of heart... here are some before photos and an after of the enginebay:
Thank you for sharing. Really.

I love old cars. Not for driving, not for fiddling around with, just for looking. I owe a debt of gratitude to fanatics like you for providing me with free eye candy...
Old 05-09-2005, 05:46 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:

Impressive restoration and one beautiful car.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 1957 Chevy or 1964 Buick
Can be done and is done.

I have color/wet sanded many factory finishes. It can be done safely if you know what you’re doing.

I won't recommend it for a vehicle that will be used for a daily driver because if you get a defect in the paint you will not have any clear left to "play” with. But doing it for a show car or a vehicle that will be used for demos it is fine.

You will be better off having a pro do it. Expect to pay for 12 to 14 hours of labor for the average size car.