Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-09-2005, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: '05 325i
'05 325i trunk release and cruise control

I recently bought a 2005 325i and am having two potential problems:

1. The remote trunk release is difficult to work. Pressing the button once does not open the trunk. I took it back to my dealer and they told me it was an operator problem and showed me that I must hold down the trunk button for about 5-6 seconds (they told me 8-10, but it doesn't seem to take THAT long) for it to work. I didn't see anything in the book about holding down the button. Is this normal?

2. When I press the cruise control on/off button it only changes state about 50% of the time. My dealer again told me there was nothing wrong. I pushed the button a few times for them myself and showed them the problem. Again, they told me this was a user problem and that I needed to hold down the button until the light changed state. This works, but seems odd. If I'm driving down the highway and I want to turn off cruise control I have to hold down the button for a couple seconds for it to go off? I hope the same delay isn't part of the shutdown on braking algorithm. Is this normal or is my dealer trying to avoid making a repair?

Last edited by mikelibes; 05-09-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2005, 06:08 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
1) Normal. A really quick press will more often than not have no effect. It also depends to some extent on how close you are to the car and what the environment is in which it is parked (steel reinforced concrete parking structure vs out in the open).

2) Haven't a clue. I think I've used my cruise control 3 times during the first year but haven't used it at all in the last 2 years.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330ci ZHP, 1998 986
This all sounds normal. Our '02 325ci had much "quicker" responding trunk release and cruise than our '05 330ci.

The trunk release delay is really nice - many times our 325 would open the trunk as you crammed the keys into your pocket. The delay makes those "accidents" MUCH less frequent on our 330.

As for cruise, I'm not sure why they did that. Probably the same reason - people accidentally hitting it when they didn't mean to, and not realizing it until they let up on the accelerator to coast and they keep cruising forward!!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:32 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I've noticed that the cruise button needs to be held "briefly" before it turns on or off -- I've gotten used to it. I think it's designed that way to avoid accidental engage/disengage. I wish the cruise would stay in the "ready" state when restarting. In most cars I've owned I just leave the master switch on and engage whenever I feel like it.

As for the trunk release, I never use it -- I always just use the handle over the license plate. I love the way German cars (Passat, MB, BMW) treat the trunk as just another door -- when the car is unlocked you can just open it without another mechanism (key, etc). But, it is normal to have to hold the button -- again, it's designed so you don't accidentally open the trunk without meaning to.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 05-09-2005, 07:44 PM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
interesting... I have an '02 (pre facelift) CI, and have neither of those issues...

My girlfriend's brand spakin new CI (ZHP) has both of those issues. The remote trunk thingy is seriously annoying, and I thought the cruise control on/off (which only I noticed, since she doesn't use it) was just me...

Not sure if anything RF wise has changed with this car but for bluetooth???

as for the cruise button? the only thing that is different between our cars is the performance pckg steering wheel...

Old 05-09-2005, 07:46 PM
only one screen name

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53
again, it's designed so you don't accidentally open the trunk without meaning to.

now that you mention it, I do routinely pop my trunk by accident... a delay would prevent this....
Old 05-09-2005, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci
Ironically I just had a 05 325i loaner because my car was in for repairs. I noticed BOTH of the issues you are speaking of. It had the standard steering wheel and I normally had to press the cruise on/off button more than once to engage it. I also hated the trunk release button because it too was very iffy. I had to play with it to get it to release the trunk. I have an 02 330Ci and never have either problem.

As for the cruise I have no clue but I do know that the remote fob has been updated from the version I have so that could be an issue. My fob has the icons for the functions "painted" onto the buttons where the 05 fob has them in raised plastic.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:17 PM
only one screen name

Quote:
Originally Posted by igozmzm
My fob has the icons for the functions "painted" onto the buttons where the 05 fob has them in raised plastic.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

Mein Auto: is way too fast
I also have the issue with the trunk. The behavior seems inconsistant at best. I haven't figured out if you have to double tap the trunk release, or simply hold the button for a while.

Can anyone veryify the proper way to open the trunk with the key?

Also the range for the key is terribly short (I know this has been posted before - but it seems relevent to the conversation). The car has the remote window open feature which would be great here in Texas. Ideally I could open the windows while walking to the car. However it seems I have to wait until I'm practically touching the car before I can get the windows to open. Not so practical.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
I have an '05 with the same issues. I'm actually glad there's a little delay in both systems...I think it protects me from my own stupidity. As for whether this can be fixed, I would say it's a long shot. These delays are probably hardcoded in firmware. While it would certainly not be impossible to change, I would be surprised if the dealer had that level of control. It would be as simple as flashing the logic chip **IF** BMW released an updated firmware package with fixes for these issues. My point anyway, is that I wouldn't hold my breadth for the update.

"It's all ball bearings now-a-days." --Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher
Old 05-10-2005, 01:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
In engineering terms with user interfaces, which I work on. These are called LONG PRESS features, aka, you must hold the related buttons down for a short time to activate the feature. This tries to eliminate accidental presses. There is nothing wrong, this is normal. Think digi cam power buttons, or cell phone power buttons. Most of them, will require a LONG PRESS for accidental reasons. As for why bmw chose long press for trunk, and short press for doors, im still trying to figure that out. Germans were never good at making software/electronic devices anyways.

If you are complaining about that stuff, you should try a 2003+ Accord remote. Nothing makes sense, two button presses consecutively does not always open up all the doors, at least bmw got that right. On the accord, long press is required for the trunk, but not for the doors as well =).

Last edited by bluskye; 05-10-2005 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330CiC
Not normal. NOthing in the manual states to do this. On my '04 i simply push it once quickly just like the door unlock and it opens.