Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-10-2005, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci
Question DINAN work..?

I drive a 02' 330ci and I'm planning on getting some work done by Dinan... I wanted to get the cold air intake and the high flow throttle body. I'm also going to get stage 3 download.. This is basically my plan but i wanted some feedback. i wanted to know about the performance change and everything you thought about it. thanks for the help..

Last edited by r330ci; 05-10-2005 at 07:55 PM. Reason: no posts
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2005, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Arrow my Dinan review (long)

2002 BMW 330i: part 2
Dinan Performance Upgrades

Dr. Jekyll Gets a Makeover

By 330indy
Jan. 2004

After eighteen months of driving and two synthetic oil changes, I finally had the dealer install the paid-for Dinan performance upgrades. The difference is substantial.
But first a few words on initial quality of the 330i. I have noticed a few creaks and rattles, but they have been so intermittent I don’t pay them much attention. At first it really irked me considering this is a $40,000. car. Happily I have noticed that as the car has aged they have become less prevalent. Do BMWs “settle down” over time? Do the interior material joints interface better with the passage of time after a little wear and tear? Not sure what to conclude but it is interesting.

Before I go into the more subjective points about how the car feels with the Dinan modifications and my overall impressions, let me cover some developments on the BMW factory performance side of things that have occurred since I plunked down the coin for this car in 2002.

I was thrilled (sarcasm) to discover in the Fall of 2002 that a revised 330i sport was coming in 2003, referred to as the “Performance Package”. Since the current 3-series is in the middle of its 6 year life cycle, BMW felt the need to soup it up a bit especially since there is no available 4-door M3 on the horizon.
To reiterate, the stock 3-liter engine is a marvel of drivable performance in standard form, with linear throttle response from the famously flat torque curve. It responds at virtually any RPM level. The competition has been flaunting more rated HP in BMW’s face as of the past two years, such as Infiniti’s G35 sedan or coupe, or Volvo’s S60. To keep the 3-series appetizing and to help offset the competitors’ moves, BMW has offered up this 330i PP option keeping the 330i at the front of the pack. There is a catch however.

The 2003-04 330i Performance Package offers:
• M sport suspension II. Sport suspension is tuned more aggressively than standard sport suspension.
• Double spoke (Styling 135M) cast alloy wheels, 225/40R-18 front, 255/35R-18 rear performance tires. (The regular sport package wheels are 225/45/17 front and 245/40/17 rear)
• Space-saver spare replaces full-use spare and wheel. (The regular sport package includes an alloy wheel as well)
• Aerodynamic package. Front air dam is M-Technik, and trunk has a little flared lip
• Matte stainless steel, 35mm dual exhaust pipes; sportier exhaust note
• High-gloss shadowline trim (black instead of silver)
• Alcantara/cloth upholstery (no leather or ‘ette option)
• Anthracite interior headliner
• M 3-spoke Alcantara-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with fingertip cruise, audio and accessory phone controls (no leather option)
• Aluminum “black cube” interior trim
• Revised engine management
• New camshaft profile
• Tachometer with 300 rpm-higher redline and red needle
• Short, sport gearshift lever
• Lower rear differential ratio from 2.93 to 3.19 for torque multiplication at the wheels
• 6-speed shifter; 6th gear is overdrive to help compensate for the lower rear differential gearing, to preserve cruising mileage
Specs between the 330i PP and the stock 330i are a bit different too:
• 0-60 mph in 5.9 seconds (vs. 6.4 seconds for stock 330i)
• Top speed governor set to 155 mph (vs. 128 mph for stock 330i)
• RPM redline increased from 6500 to 6800 rpm
• 10 more horses (to 235 hp @5900 rpm)
• Torque increased to 222 lb./ft. @3500 rpm
• $3900 additional cost

The Dinan performance modifications are for “airflow enhancement” mainly. Many years ago, I recall a car enthusiast buddy telling me, “The key to horsepower is airflow. The more air you move through an engine, the more fuel you can throw in as well and that means torque + horsepower.”
After plenty of online research it was deemed that the most room for improvement existed with “deeper breathing” of the fine 3.0 liter engine. This is especially important at higher RPMs for improved punch with an extended redline to 6740 RPMs. This was one reason I prepaid for these modifications when I purchased the car, not to mention that a “stock-tuned” car is never quite enough for me.
The BMW factory package actually duplicates some of the Dinan tactics to improve performance with styling, transmission and suspension tweaks. And for a pretty penny.

The following modifications were installed to my 330i in one installation:
Dinan cold-air-intake with K&N air filter
Dinan high-flow throttle body
Dinan stage 3 performance software
Dinan strut tower brace up front

(Enter stage left: Mr. Hyde)

Here is an actual picture after installation.
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QQAdA...71660175874126

These text descriptions are from Dinan’s site:

Cold-Air-Intake
Dinan High Flow Cold Air Intake Systems develop horsepower and torque gains by improving the engine's intake air flow. The aggressive system design provides for a less restrictive intake air-flow than the stock system for greater engine efficiency and the lowest possible intake air temperatures.
The High Flow Cold Air Intake Systems replace the factory air box with a cylindrical performance filter and powder coated aluminum intake pipe. The filter is relocated to a separate compartment behind the front bumper and below the headlights in order to insulate it from engine compartment heat and maximize exposure to outside air. The filter to air-flow-meter pipe is designed to minimize air turbulence and maximize efficiency.

Dinan high-flow throttle body
Dinan's High Flow Throttle Body improves intake air flow for additional horsepower and torque gains. The internal diameter of the stock 330 throttle body is increased by 3 mm, for a 9% increase in air flow. The resulting increase in air flow provides more horsepower and torque throughout the rpm range, with noticeably quicker throttle response. Fully matched Stage 3 Engine Software and the Cold Air Intake System are required with the Throttle Body for the 330.

Dinan Stage 3 performance software.
The new 3 liter Engine Management Systems are fine examples of BMW's sophisticated engineering. BMW detonation control systems, high speed engine management computers and sophisticated "adaptations" have left no horsepower for we tuners to extract; as much as we hate to admit it!
However, this certainly doesn't mean that there isn't enhanced performance available for the 330. There is still plenty to be gained from Dinan Performance Engine Software, although the typical increases in horsepower and torque you have come to expect from Dinan are not achievable. For example, the software safely raises the rev-limit by 240 rpm, endowing your 330 with a broader power band and greater road speed in each gear. The software also removes the factory top speed governor, enabling the cars to attain their "natural" top speed.
Reprogramming the "drive by wire" throttle system speeds up throttle response, leaving the driver with the feeling of increased power output.

Dinan Strut Tower Brace
Dinan Strut and Shock Tower Braces help to maintain the structural integrity of the towers over the life of the vehicle, as well as providing sharper handling by reducing flex under hard cornering conditions. The braces can be installed in conjunction with Dinan Suspension Systems or with the stock components. Manufactured from 6061-T6 aluminum for lightweight and superior strength, featuring a brushed finish and carbon fiber inserts for an attractive addition to the engine compartment and trunk. The end brackets are machined for precise fitment over the existing strut tower reinforcements for a clean and solid installation.

Real results:

These modifications provided tangible improvements that I felt in my seat as soon as I pulled away from the dealer. I was curious about the inherent character of the car being altered away from “civilized” but it only gets aggressive when asked. The car still purrs with refinement. When I step on it though, Mr. Hyde comes out to play.

Observations & Benefits:
• Noticeably quicker throttle response. The car leaps to accelerate when prompted.
• Tighter body feel in turns, with less creaking in the cabin. The strut bar made this car even tighter, structurally. I was pleasantly surprised to notice this difference.
• A raised redline gives some psychological relief during higher revving, with a welcomed extended safety margin.
• Raised top speed governor so the car will also attain 155 mph
• Torque increase gives the car more kick off the line, with peaks of 224 lb./ft. and 222 lb./ft. at 3500 and 5000 rpms respectively. (essentially equal to the performance package)
• A legitimate power increase to 238 hp at 5900 rpms. (essentially equal to the performance package)
• My cost for all this: approx. $2000. installed with a warranty matching BMW’s.

As you can see, it may be a matter of taste or preference for the racier treatments, stiffer suspension and other tweaks in the performance package. On the other hand, I am pleased that the Dinan mods for half the price gave me most of what the PP provides from a performance and power standpoint. I prefer the color themes of my 2002, connoting the stealth look.
Not to mention it is almost paid for.

Questions/comments, send to: drumhabit@hotmail.com

Last edited by 330indy; 05-11-2005 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy
Observations & Benefits:
• Noticeably quicker throttle response. The car leaps to accelerate when prompted.
• Tighter body feel in turns, with less creaking in the cabin. The strut bar made this car even tighter, structurally. I was pleasantly surprised to notice this difference.
• A raised redline gives some psychological relief during higher revving, with a welcomed extended safety margin.
• Raised top speed governor so the car will also attain 155 mph
• Torque increase gives the car more kick off the line, with peaks of 224 lb./ft. and 222 lb./ft. at 3500 and 5000 rpms respectively. (essentially equal to the performance package)
• A legitimate power increase to 238 hp at 5900 rpms. (essentially equal to the performance package)
• My cost for all this: approx. $2000. installed with a warranty matching BMW’s.
Just curious if your torque and HP stats above are measured on a Dyno, or quoted from Dinan.

I have a ZHP equipped car on order, and although 10 extra ponies are nice, they were not the reason I ordered the package. I lease, so the ZHP package offered me the performance/handling improvements I would expect to obtain from aftermarket components, but in a factory tested and matched package right out of the box.

IMO, and it's just MHO, $2k can be better spent on suspension or lighter wheels/tires and your butt dyno would be super happy with the improvements.

As always, YMMV.

For the original poster, there are alternatives to Dinan CAI's that I think are as beneficial, if not better, for less money. I chose the Benfer Performance carbon fiber CAI and I believe they offer a considerable discount for Bimmerfest.com members.

I'd suggest upgrading in stages, you will notice increased throttle response by going with a CAI only, without software. I put one on my 530i and the fun factor of the go pedal increased quite noticably.

Good luck!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 05-11-2005, 02:33 PM

Arrow

read these four pages, and you tell me if Dinan seems credible. they sure do to me!

http://dinancars.com/whitepapersFile.asp?ID=9
Old 05-11-2005, 02:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
1) Dinan is far less credible than people think they are. Just look up what they did to all those "Signature" Z8s. (Apparently sawzalling the frame to make headers fit is OK with them.)
2) The Dinan intake, unlike most others means that moderately deep water will kill your engine. As in destroy it. And yes, this has happened.
3) Dinan modifications, as they are performed by a dealer, are often reported to BMW so that your warranty can be automatically voided. Dinan SUPPLEMENTS the factory warranty, it is not covered by it. As a result, there is no "going back to stock," and your ability to resell may be somewhat more limited.
4) Dinan modifications consistently do not produce as much power as others. They are essentially absent from race cars.

I could keep going, but I really don't feel like it. Dinan was ONCE a great BMW tuner. Now, they've gotten cozy with BMWNA and have traded on the false impression (and outright lies of vendors) to convince the uninformed that they're the only company that won't impact your warranty.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 05-11-2005, 05:40 PM

Wink whatever

1) They are a tuner, and headers are apparently worth that albeit extreme mod to 'some'
2) So what. Cold air is down low away from underhood heat. keep your bimmer on land.
3) BS. I deal with two excellent midwestern dealers and they never refer/inquire to Dinan mods to perform warranty work.
4) Again, so what> Dinan is about reliable mods that won't wear down the car prematurely. Race cars are constantly maintained and even rebuilt. Where do you have proof of this? What do you base this on, mass opinion?
I would like to see Bimmer or European Car do a mod package comparison, but until then keep a lid on your bashing. There are many happy Dinan customers out there.
If r330ci is looking let's provide constructive input based on experience, not speculation.
Most tuners bring something to the table> but no one offers so much for enhanced airflow as Dinan, without blowers mind you.
Dinan, I believe, is about quality and consistency. And perhaps they are equally conservative with their numbers as BMW. Both of my Dinan modded rides are glitch free and significantly better cars.
That is my experience.

Last edited by 330indy; 05-11-2005 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

I'll just say there is alot to be said for brand recognition. I was just curious if the numbers quoted by 330indy were actual dyno results of his particular car. I can read all I want from the tuners themselves, but the proof in the pudding is at the dyno with each vehicle the products are installed on. I see by looking at Dinan's website that they quote 238hp and 224 lb-ft of torque for their software + intake.

I have seen the Dinan CAI and I have a Benfer, and frankly, Benfer's is nicer. It's carbon fiber, and it's $100 less than Dinan at regular price, and with the Bimmerfest.com discount, it's a real bargain compared to Dinan. They both have a tube that puts the filter behind the bumper, and they both have the same K&N Filter element, Dinan's happens to be blue and comes with a logo whereas Benfer's is red and doesn't. BFD, you look at it when you install it and 50k miles later when you service it. Who needs a logo?

Dinan quotes 11hp gain from their CAI alone, and 9 lb-ft of torque. So, with 225 stock, 11 gained, you're at 236hp. Do some math and figure that your $499 worth of software basically removed two limitations that you will likely never see - 155mph max speed, and higher rev limit, and maybe gave you 2hp. A waste of money IMHO.

I'm not saying Dinan doesn't provide benefit, they do, but there are other brands out there that provide the same or better benefit for less money. Just because a BMW Dealer will install their stuff doesn't mean it's the best for every BMW.

r330ci proposes to install:

- Throttle Body: $499, labor 15 units
- CAI: $449, labor 25 units
- Stage Software: $499, labor 10 units

Total: $1447 plus 50 units of labor, whatever that costs, Figure 3 hours @ $125/hr = $375

Total cost $1822 and what did he get? 11-13 hp? That's $140.00 for each extra pony, quite pricey, don't you think?

Truth of the matter is, these cars are pretty much tweeked as much as possible from the factory. Adding a CAI, no matter which one, will improve throttle response. Changing your exhaust will lighten the load and give you a couple hp at best, nothing earth shattering here, but also give you a new tone if you desire it. I think the software is a waste and so is the throttle body. Looking at the CAI specs alone will show you that. You are NOT gonna notice 2hp, no way no how!

I say save your money, get a CAI of your choice and be done with it. Unless you're going with a blower, your butt dyno isn't gonna go off the charts by spending $1800 on Dinan stuff, or anyone elses for that matter.

My original advice stands - put your money into suspension, wheels/tires, or brakes instead. IMO you can spend that $1800 as follows:

Benfer CAI: $349 (much less with Bimmerfest discount)
UUC Sway Barbarians: $350
SSK of your choice: $300

Total: $999, they're all DIY installs. And that leaves you $801 left over for wheels or tires or 1.5 BMW CCA track schools!

Old 05-11-2005, 08:05 PM

thanks for the opinion but i'm looking into Dinan for not only performance but i also love the warrenty.. 4yrs/50,000... is there anything else like that??? and too all the people that thought Dinan was a CON... is it because of the price or what it gives you for your pleasure and performance? thanks
Old 05-11-2005, 08:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Quote:
1) They are a tuner, and headers are apparently worth that albeit extreme mod to 'some'
2) So what. Cold air is down low away from underhood heat. keep your bimmer on land.
3) BS. I deal with two excellent midwestern dealers and they never refer/inquire to Dinan mods to perform warranty work.
4) Again, so what> Dinan is about reliable mods that won't wear down the car prematurely. Race cars are constantly maintained and even rebuilt. Where do you have proof of this? What do you base this on, mass opinion?
I would like to see Bimmer or European Car do a mod package comparison, but until then keep a lid on your bashing. There are many happy Dinan customers out there.
If r330ci is looking let's provide constructive input based on experience, not speculation.
Most tuners bring something to the table> but no one offers so much for enhanced airflow as Dinan, without blowers mind you.
Dinan, I believe, is about quality and consistency. And perhaps they are equally conservative with their numbers as BMW. Both of my Dinan modded rides are glitch free and significantly better cars.
That is my experience.
1) Actually, BMW tried to total the first Z8 they found with that. Z8 owners didn't know about it until BMWNA found one. Then all the Signature Z8 owners discovered that they had frame damage inflicted by Dinan. They they didn't know about. There's still a lawsuit going on that one, I believe.
2) I could almost agree with you, except that just can't seem to find race cars that are running the Dinan intake. Besides, the airflow in the spot where Dinan sticks the intake sucks. Have you ever had a bumper apart? I have.
3) Would you like me to show you the Vehicle History Report on my 323?
4) The 'proof' is that people who are actually results oriented either don't get it, or get something else AFTER they get Dinan.

Old 05-12-2005, 06:52 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
I'd never drop the big money Dinan gets on a late model BMW.

A cheaper way to go would be...

A set of Pilot Sport PS2 tires set to the right air pressure, and a short shifter teamed with a shorter light weight clutch pedal.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r330ci
thanks for the opinion but i'm looking into Dinan for not only performance but i also love the warrenty.. 4yrs/50,000... is there anything else like that??? and too all the people that thought Dinan was a CON... is it because of the price or what it gives you for your pleasure and performance? thanks
No one said Dinain is a CON. The short version is: their CAI is expensive compared to others with similar results. Engine software for late-model BMWs is really nothing more than a rev limiter increase and top speed limiter move from 128 to 155 mph. A new exhaust will get you minimal performance benefit except for saving weight and changing the tone. There is no INEXPENSIVE way to get marked gains in HP on late-model BMWs. IMO, 11-13hp is not worth nearly $2000 in cost.

So you're interested in the warranty from Dinan. Lets evaluate that... looking at a CAI, what exactly do you think can go wrong with it that it is worth 2x the price of a similar product? Did you read the whole warranty text at Dinan's site?

http://www.dinancars.com/Warranty.asp

I don't see any language in there that states they'll cover any OEM BMW part that is affected by a Dinan installed part. Do you? All I see is language that your Dinan part will be covered for 4/50 if installed on a car with factory warranty, or 2yrs no limit on miles if it is out of warranty. And, it states it will not cover any Dinan part used in a competetive event.

I think we've probably exhausted the topic now, so it's up to you to make your decision. Ultimately, if you wanna drop $1800+ on the Dinan mods, you're gonna do it. BUT, I still suggest you do them in stages: CAI first, drive it for a couple of weeks and see what you think. Then do software, see what u think. Then the throttle body, see what you think.

I'd be interested in your thoughts after each upgrade is done and I'd be a dollar that you'll be most impressed with the changes you get with the CAI only.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:46 AM

This is a very likely consequence of a Dinan mod that you wouldn't have with another part. Keep in mind that cars with marks like this on their file are ineligible for CPO.

The Cehicle History Report for my 323i:

Quote:
26703 Vehicle History Report

Vehicle Information

VIN: [deleted]
Model Code: 9944 AM33
Model Desc: 323i
Engineering Series: E46
Motor Type: M52
Color Code: 300 (Alpine White)
Trim Code: K4SW (Black Leatherette)
Production Date: 1999/03

Customer Name:
Customer Address

Retail Dealer: 56665
Retail Date: 04/22/1999
Wholesale Dealer: 56665
Wholesale Date: 04/17/1999

NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY
Expiration Date: 04/22/2003
Expiration Miles: 50,000

Comments: DINAN COLD AIR INTAKE INST. BY MOTOR WORKS WEST @ 72,215. FAILURES RELATED TO, OR AS A CONSEQUENCE OF, THIS OR ANY OTHER MODS ARE NOT COVERED BY THE ORIGINAL 4/50,000 OR CPO WARRANTIES. SEE 06/02 NATL VEH FILE

SCHEDULE MAINTENANCE 0036000
Expiration Date: 04/22/2002
Expiration Miles: 36,000

Vehicle Options
Code Description
0662 in-dash CD player
0923 SPORT PACKAGE
0335 100% OPTIONS
0550 on-board computer

Repair History
RO # Claim Repair Date Entry Date Mileage Dealer Service Code Location
189822 15500 05/08/2002 05/13/2002 74,069 56665 0011660100 01
183794 14719 11/26/2001 11/28/2001 61,153 56665 0011610100 01
176186 13641 05/15/2001 05/16/2001 47,015 56665 3452051400 01
174803 13450 04/05/2001 04/19/2001 42,892 56665 3452037900 01
169666 12798 11/08/2000 11/27/2000 31,758 56665 0023030100 01
12797 0012360100
12796 85990092SP
159705 11788 02/08/2000 02/10/2000 16,665 56665 5171004100 01
159096 11778 01/21/2000 02/10/2000 15,214 56665 85990089SP 01
150074 11034 05/24/1999 06/10/1999 2,015 56665 36111075ER 01

Open Campaign Information

NO OPEN CAMPAIGNS

Old 05-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Out here in California, Dinan's back yard, a CarFax report is about equal to pulling the registration data out the DMV's history records. They state nothing of CAI or accidents... none of that stuff.

As for your comment regarding resale... again, Dinan is so well known out here that for most sellers and buyers, it adds to the value of the car, not the opposite.

Dinan is good at two things... making products that work and marketing them. You can't argue with his multimillion dollar business and the huge amount of marketshare that he currently dominates.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:20 AM

Sergio, that's straight out of BMW's database. That's not a CarFax.

Old 05-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Donkeybike?

Either way, it's a mute issue for me. My car has over 100k on the clock and all the Dinan engine goodies also have over 100k on them.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK
Either way, it's a mute issue for me. My car has over 100k on the clock and all the Dinan engine goodies also have over 100k on them.
Well, sure, I agree that it's a moot point for our 323s. But for the people who by Dinan because they think that it won't void their warranty, I think it's a VERY relevant point.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
I think the warrnty issue is a huge preception issue. I would bet that most casual buyers would assume that if they installed Dinnan parts on their cars that there would be no warranty impact. And Dinnan trades on this fact and their cozy relationship with BMW.

The biggest thing to me is to see what production based racers use. If it will make their cars faster production based racers will use it...and none of them, that I am aware of, use Dinnan.

Photobucket
Old 05-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Donkeybike?

Most club racers use a mix of products. I've never heard of a club racer using aftermarket parts from just one company.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Most club racers use a mix of products. I've never heard of a club racer using aftermarket parts from just one company.
...OK. We know damned well that Dinan suspension products aren't really suitable for the track. But I can't think of any racers that are using the intake/chip, etc., either.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Donkeybike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
...OK. We know damned well that Dinan suspension products aren't really suitable for the track.
What is that supposed to mean?

I tracked my car's stock (sport package) suspension for years, even made instructor rank with my car's bone stock suspension. I found the BMW stock suspension on my car to be more than adequate for what I needed it to do when I was learning how to drive. Simply put, the car was better than I was. It took me years to master it and only afterwards did I decided to tinker with it.

Now, I believe Dinan uses Koni shocks and Eibach springs and if you feel that BMW's suspension is better and Dinan's isn't even suitable for the track, then explain why. In my opinion, any aftermarket performance shock/spring combo will make the car handle better than the stock setup.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:30 PM

Quote:
What is that supposed to mean?

I tracked my car's stock (sport package) suspension for years, even made instructor rank with my car's bone stock suspension. I found the BMW stock suspension on my car to be more than adequate for what I needed it to do when I was learning how to drive. Simply put, the car was better than I was. It took me years to master it and only afterwards did I decided to tinker with it.

Now, I believe Dinan uses Koni shocks and Eibach springs and if you feel that BMW's suspension is better and Dinan's isn't even suitable for the track, then explain why. In my opinion, any aftermarket performance shock/spring combo will make the car handle better than the stock setup.
Of course it's better than stock. It was a response to your "racers never use parts exclusively from one shop" comment. People with any experience who are very serious about track performance are NOT using the Dinan suspension.

I also still haven't figured out how the Dinan intake gets better airflow than the stock ducted location.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
I also still haven't figured out how the Dinan intake gets better airflow than the stock ducted location.

Good point. I know on the E39 that the stock intake path is a cluster-futz of bends and diameter changes, but I haven't looked at the E46 intake in any detail yet. The "mouth" on the E39 intake actually faces the radiator, and draws it's air from directly in front of that, behind the bumper. So the air it gets is likely warm.

But, the E46, from what I can see, is kinda like a ram-air effect, it's wide and short mouth faces foward and scoups the air in. I think it will be an interesting experiment to install my Benfer and see if there is any difference noted. I could also see just exchanging the filter on the stock intake for an ITG or K&N.

What do you think Nick?

Old 05-12-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr530i
Good point. I know on the E39 that the stock intake path is a cluster-futz of bends and diameter changes, but I haven't looked at the E46 intake in any detail yet. The "mouth" on the E39 intake actually faces the radiator, and draws it's air from directly in front of that, behind the bumper. So the air it gets is likely warm.

But, the E46, from what I can see, is kinda like a ram-air effect, it's wide and short mouth faces foward and scoups the air in. I think it will be an interesting experiment to install my Benfer and see if there is any difference noted. I could also see just exchanging the filter on the stock intake for an ITG or K&N.

What do you think Nick?
I think you'd need to have a heat shield on a less constricted intake than stock to help in the stock location. I actually had a Benfer for my old 325xi, and I took it off. Zero noticable power gains, just an increase in noise.

I can't remember whether the standard E46es have the same ducting setup as my M3, but on the M3, you get air routed from the brake duct AND from the grille.

Old 05-13-2005, 02:37 AM

well if not Dinan then what other brand can i go with that would give me more speed. Basically i want to still do the same mods...
1. cold air intake
2. throttle body
3. download upgrade

what other brands would give me more performance??? thanks
Old 05-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Quote:
2002 BMW 330i: part 2
Dinan Performance Upgrades

Dr. Jekyll Gets a Makeover

By 330indy
Jan. 2004

After eighteen months of driving and two synthetic oil changes, I finally had the dealer install the paid-for Dinan performance upgrades. The difference is substantial.
blah blah blah........................

As the hair club guy says, "I'm not only the president, I'm also a client."

How much did you get paid for this shameless plug?