Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Stuck in Monday

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Software update for 4k rpm power drop and rough idle

I dropped off my car this week at the nearest dealer to get three problems fixed:

1. My driver's side door wouldn't open from the inside (first pull on the handle would unlock it; second pull wouldn't do anything)
2. Rough idle and occasional stalling issues
3. 4,000 rpm power lag

It seems like most of the dealer experiences posted here are negative ones, so I wanted to take the time to give major props to the service center at Advantage BMW here in Houston and in particular my SA, Dustin. Very friendly, very professional, very good communication, and patient with all my questions. I know some people have been getting a hard time from dealers about getting a software update, but they took care of everything without any fuss.

As for the fix on my rough idle and power lag issues, these were solved with reprogramming the DMA with Version 41.2 (I was surprised because I thought the latest was 41.0 ) and replacing the DISA adjustment unit (I thought the problems were with the actual valve ). I can scan and post a copy of my service invoice if anyone wants to see it...

If I thought the car ran great before, it now runs perfectly. Before the fix, the idle felt rough and fluctuated significantly, even when it did not feel like it was going to stall. Now the idle is rock solid and perfectly smooth. It is a HUGE difference.

The acceleration is vastly improved as well. As I explained in the main thread on this issue, my car's power lag at 4k was very significant and very frustrating. It is now completely gone, and the acceleration is now as smooth from bottom to top as the idle is. The car feels so much faster now that I don't feel the power drop right when the torque starts to peak. Downshifting is also so much better and satisfying. Before, I would downshift right into the middle of the rpm range where the power lag occurred. So, I found myself frequently downshifting into a gear lower than I really wanted, which would put unnecessary stress on the engine and clutch. Now, I can downshift right into 4k - 4.5k and feel the power I need.

The difference was significant enough for me that it almost feels like I have a new car. I'll update if I see a recurrence of any of my previous issues. In any event, I highly recommend that everyone check to see if their car has the latest DME software version.

Last edited by TLudwig; 05-13-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci
Sounds great...could you scan and post your service invoice..im getting ready for a trip to the dealer, armed with evidence (because they always shrug their shoulders and tell me its fine!)
Old 05-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Stuck in Monday

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Sure thing, here ya go (had my secretary redact the personal info).

Also, when I went in, I took a copy of this post in with me (although like I said earlier, I think the latest software version is actually 41.2). The power lag at 4k rpms is easily reproduced 100% of the time, so you shouldn't have any problems. As for the stalling/rough idle issue, make it clear to your SA that this is a serious safety issue, regardless of whether or not they can reproduce it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW Service Invoice.pdf (160.0 KB, 439 views)
Old 05-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
I am glad to hear you were able to the software update and get your idle and rpm lag issues resolved.

Dustin is also my SA and like you have great praise for my experience with that dealership's service department, nearly 6 years with the dealership and couple of years with Dustin. I had my car in for Oil Service a couple months ago and mentioned those 2 items, actually the rough idle had been mentioned previously. I was told that since they could find no fault codse and during the a test drive they could not notice the 4000 RPM lag they could not do anything.

Since then my rough idle and rpm lag have misteriously disappeared.