Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: z3
z3 tyre wear

my 1998 z3 offside rear tyre is wearing on the inside....any ideas?thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2016, 01:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 3.0i
It sounds like you have an alignment problem.

When was the last time the car had a wheel alignment done? While there is little to no adjustment on the rear end, the numbers will tell you if you have a problem.

Is the car lowered? On non-M Z3's, this increases the camber outside of spec very quickly and can lead to this type of wear. If this is the case, you should be seeing similar wear on both sides.

The rear trailing arm can bend, especially if you hit curbs or other objects at speed and the off side seem to be the one that suffers from this due to lack of vision. This would give you wear on one side only.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:03 PM

tyre wear

the offside is slightly lower than the near side....i can get 3 fingers between the tyre and the wheel arch on offside....and 4 fingers on the near side.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
You probably have a weak or broken spring.
The rear suspension is made such that, as the tire (tyre) is forced upward, such as the outside tire while turning, it is made to toe out and camber in. That reduces understeer in a turn. If your tire is always in that position, such as due to a bad spring or intentional lowering, it will have the same effect, which causes excessive tire wear on the inside edge.
Luckily, they are quite easy to replace. Just detach the shock absorber (dampener) and sway bar, and the spring comes right out. A better fix is to install weld-in camber and toe adjusters from Ireland Engineering.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:24 AM

thanks for the info guys
Old 10-25-2016, 08:18 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklane View Post
You probably have a weak or broken spring... Luckily, they are quite easy to replace... A better fix is to install weld-in camber and toe adjusters from Ireland Engineering.
The adjusters still need good springs. Used or new OE springs can be hard to order. I was confused when I looked into it. New OE springs must be ordered knowing what stiffness came on the car, and I don't know how to tell that. Used springs from salvage companies must be ordered knowing what what kind of Z3 suspension they came from, and that is not always known.

Last edited by vintage42; 10-25-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 roadster 1998
Tell me the size off wheel and tire cause with my 1998 2.8 i install 18'' stagged wheel and tire i tink is 235 in the back and i have the same problem as you and at the tire shop they told me it was about the wheel and tire size after 2 years i switch the back tire from left to right and if i can drive another 2 years its ok with me

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search