Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
E90 tidbits from my delivery today

CA just got back from E90 training. Said they drove the E90 and "the competition". (I knew which cars were the competition ... from the PIB that was posted on the 'Fest ) Then they also got a ride along with professional race car drivers in each of the cars. The E90 was the winner by all accounts. Next closest was the G35. Another CA came by and said we all need to take a professional racing course with the E90, the car is that good. FWIW.

CA said a software upgrade is in the near future for the E90 Advanced Vehicle & Key Memory functions. Key memory doesn't work. The car will have to go back in to get reprogrammed ala a Microsoft beta.

CA stated I am probably the first one to take delivery of an E90 in MA.

The E90 smokes the E46. Handling is superb. Especially after turning in my E46 with the Conti's.

Power is there and it's not any slower than the E46. Still minding my P's & Q's but did manage some time near 4500 rpm on the short drive home.

6sp transmission is sweet. Though I'm a bit rusty starting out.

Tomorrows goal is more practice on take off. Install the Sirius receiver. Pair my blue-tooth phone.

Pics tomorrow. I'm drained.

Last edited by ObD; 05-13-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2005, 02:54 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Congrats on picking up your car. I still have about 7 weeks to wait
Old 05-14-2005, 04:31 AM

Should also add that I was informed the key fob records data ... such as top speed, max rpm, and other operating conditions, etc. Eventually this data could be provided real time via BMW Assist to schedule maintenance and inform of impending problems. Sort of a simple form of onboard telemetry.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:31 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObD
Should also add that I was informed the key fob records data ... such as top speed, max rpm, and other operating conditions, etc. Eventually this data could be provided real time via BMW Assist to schedule maintenance and inform of impending problems. Sort of a simple form of onboard telemetry.

Sounds like big brother to me, I guess that rules out autocrossing or track events during the warranty period

Ed
Old 05-14-2005, 08:40 AM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT
Sounds like big brother to me,
I agree.

Quote:
I guess that rules out autocrossing or track events during the warranty period
Why would it rule out autocrossing during the warranty period? The only thing that you might be doing differently on an autocross course compared to the street is turn a little faster. Other than that, what is there? A few brief applications of WOT? A few brief applications of maximum brake effort?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 05-14-2005, 08:49 AM
mmm... carbs!

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ·clyde·
Why would it rule out autocrossing during the warranty period? The only thing that you might be doing differently on an autocross course compared to the street is turn a little faster. Other than that, what is there? A few brief applications of WOT? A few brief applications of maximum brake effort?
Many warranties specifically state that the participation in any timed track type events is against the rules. It can lead to refusal of a warranty claim if the event can be proven to have resulted in the damage.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:09 AM

My CA kind of hinted that saved data would only be used in cases of clear abuse, but as always it depends on how difficult BMWNA wants to make life. I have nothing to hide so the big brother aspect of it doesn't bother me.

BTW, my insurance co. won't cover events anyhow so the point is moot.

Last edited by ObD; 05-14-2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:16 AM
zeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ·clyde·
I agree.

Clyde,

I was thinking of the constant spooling up and down of the throttle, especially with a step

Ed
Old 05-14-2005, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: '10 E92 M3, '97 332ti
My CA knows I autox my current car, and plan to autox the e90 as well. The local dealerships sponsored our CCA autoxes up until this past summer, when Club Motorsport took over. I wouldn't think they'd sponsoer the CCA autocrosses, and give you a hard time for attending.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:35 AM
zeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryN
My CA knows I autox my current car, and plan to autox the e90 as well. The local dealerships sponsored our CCA autoxes up until this past summer, when Club Motorsport took over. I wouldn't think they'd sponsoer the CCA autocrosses, and give you a hard time for attending.
Larry,

Are your autox's run in conjunction with other autox's at Ayers?

I did a little web research, looks like you guys have quite a nice operation going up there through the local BMW club; I'd love to run with other bimmers.

If I were to attend an event, it'd be about a 2 to 3 hour hike; might have to do an overnight the night before.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of autoxing an E90!! Which model? Will you run the run-flats?
Ed
Old 05-14-2005, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: '10 E92 M3, '97 332ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT
Larry,

Are your autox's run in conjunction with other autox's at Ayers?

I did a little web research, looks like you guys have quite a nice operation going up there through the local BMW club; I'd love to run with other bimmers.

If I were to attend an event, it'd be about a 2 to 3 hour hike; might have to do an overnight the night before.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of autoxing an E90!! Which model? Will you run the run-flats?
Ed
Hi Ed,

We allow non-BMW's to run with us, as long as they are members of the BMWCCA. All drivers must show their membership card when entering the venue. It's about a 60-40% split of bimmers to non's, with bmw's being predominant.

My drive is about 1:45 to get to Ayer, so we're not that dissimilar in distance. In the morning, I leave around 5am, to make sure I'm there at 7am. There's so much cameraderie there, and hardly anybody keeps to themselves. Great environment.

I'll likely run mt first event with the stock wheels and tires to see how they do, but I'd like to get Kosei K1's or Superleggaras and some variation of Azenis for the second event in that car. Let me know if you're coming up. If we do fun runs, I'd certainly let you drive it, but if not, you're a welcome passenger. If yopu're new to autocrossing, or rusty, I'm an instructor, and could give you a few pointers, if you care to have them.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:08 AM
zeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryN
Hi Ed,

We allow non-BMW's to run with us, as long as they are members of the BMWCCA. All drivers must show their membership card when entering the venue. It's about a 60-40% split of bimmers to non's, with bmw's being predominant.

My drive is about 1:45 to get to Ayer, so we're not that dissimilar in distance. In the morning, I leave around 5am, to make sure I'm there at 7am. There's so much cameraderie there, and hardly anybody keeps to themselves. Great environment.

I'll likely run mt first event with the stock wheels and tires to see how they do, but I'd like to get Kosei K1's or Superleggaras and some variation of Azenis for the second event in that car. Let me know if you're coming up. If we do fun runs, I'd certainly let you drive it, but if not, you're a welcome passenger. If yopu're new to autocrossing, or rusty, I'm an instructor, and could give you a few pointers, if you care to have them.
That's very generous of you Larry, and yes, I could always use instruction

I'm going to see if I can extend my national BMWCC membership to include your chapter, my chapter, the CT Valley chapter, is too inactive for my tastes.

Now, about that drive at 5 am.........

Ed
Old 05-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Congratulations on the new car !

Drive it in good health, it's a beauty