Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 05-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: skateboard
Stock market

I think many of you are great business people and are smart. With that said I really want to get involved in the stock market, I am young so I have a crappy minium wage job, any suggestions on what to invest in or what online stock service to use. I know people say the stock market is dead but I think its on its way back.

Also...... We should have a section on the forum where you can post stock tips and business news.
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Vietato

Mein Auto: 2009 Toyota Matrix
Buy high, sell low. Wait.... I think it's buy low, sell high. I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

- Cherokee Expression
Old 05-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: Powered by Honda
Whenever a friend gives you a stock tip, go out and short sell the stock.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Bo's ready for the Big 10

Mein Auto: A Murano and Civic Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt. Joker
Whenever a friend gives you a stock tip, go out and short sell the stock.
So true. Now if its a tip made as a first post on any board then you have to assume your the first to hear of it and immediatly buy.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:22 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by toplessbimmer
I am young so I have a crappy minium wage job, any suggestions on what to invest in or what online stock service to use.
The most important thing I learned was that knowledge of a company and the industry it is in is no predictor of its stock performance. Companies with the most incompetent, dishonest management and terrible products do well in the market, while some companies with excellent products and good management lose value.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:08 PM
O.G.

Mein Auto: 2011 MDX, 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
The most important thing I learned was that knowledge of a company and the industry it is in is no predictor of its stock performance. Companies with the most incompetent, dishonest management and terrible products do well in the market, while some companies with excellent products and good management lose value.
Warren Buffet got his $ Billions by doing exactly what you are saying not to do.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:00 PM
meh

Mein Auto: Z4
Don't invest a penny until you have paid off all of your other debts.

Only when you are debt free does it make sense to start playing the market.

--nw
Old 05-16-2005, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowonder

--nw
I learned that lesson the hard way, yes - good one.

I recommend mutual funds to make money, individual stocks just for fun.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:55 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
I think many of you are great business people and are smart. With that said I really want to get involved in the stock market, I am young so I have a crappy minium wage job, any suggestions on what to invest in or what online stock service to use. I know people say the stock market is dead but I think its on its way back.

Also...... We should have a section on the forum where you can post stock tips and business news.
I use Harrisdirect.

My stock tip of the day
GM
XOM
MSFT
WMT

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:29 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
Always bet on red.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 05-16-2005, 06:44 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
I really want to get involved in the stock market, I am young so I have a crappy minium wage job, any suggestions on what to invest in or what online stock service to use. I know people say the stock market is dead but I think its on its way back.
Two words: Index Fund.

Dont even think about trying to pick individual stocks. With your current income, you're not investing, you're gambling. Do you have any credit card debt? If so, pay it off first.

Read The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham; it's how Buffett and Charlie Munger made their fortune. You need to understand how Wall Street works if you have any hope of making a decent return.

Last edited by Scott ZHP; 05-16-2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
Start with a no-load mutual fund to get your feet wet. When you are ready to invest in individual stocks, pick stocks of products that you use. You can monitor quality and pricing, and learn to read their financial reports. Also be observant, it doesn't take a genius to figure out GM stock would tank when they offered 0 percent finance rates, On-Star giveaways and such.

Investing is discipline, long term profits, and diversity. IIRC if you put in $50 a week for 20 years and your annual rate of return is a modest 7% you'll have ~ $100K.

Last edited by ObD; 05-16-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:53 PM
We want the Lion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObD
Also be observant, it doesn't take a genius to figure out GM stock would tank when they offered 0 percent finance rates, On-Star giveaways and such.
Actually GMAC (their finance arm) is the most profitable part of GM.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP
Actually GMAC (their finance arm) is the most profitable part of GM.
True, but they do home mortgages too. IMHO if you have a hot product why do you need to subsidize it.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: '10 E92 M3, '97 332ti
$25 minimum blackjack table near the Texas Holdem area in the Flamingo. Dealer's name is Liu. Just invested some money there last week. Finally made more than spending, by a good bit.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:08 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Two words: Index Fund.
Why? In a good year (up stocks outnumber down stocks) you'll be capped at the index's overall gains. In a bad year, you'll follow the index down. If you are looking for security, look at one of the investment packages which guarantees a rate of return not less than a specified index and is guaranteed by a bank or other institution.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:57 PM
We want the Lion!

Quote:
Why? In a good year (up stocks outnumber down stocks) you'll be capped at the index's overall gains. In a bad year, you'll follow the index down. If you are looking for security, look at one of the investment packages which guarantees a rate of return not less than a specified index and is guaranteed by a bank or other institution.
Terry - I respect your opinion, but diversification is the path to prosperity in common stock investment. It is the only proven strategy over the long term.

At his/her (presumed) age and risk tolerance, an index fund is the only prudent choice. Unless you do this for a living, betting on single stock is a crap shoot. During the telco boom I made a small fortune on CSCO and prompty lost a significant portion of it on JDSU.

Please define an "investment package with a return not less than a specified index". That smells like an index fund or a unit investment trust to me.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:14 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Terry - I respect your opinion, but diversification is the path to prosperity in common stock investment. It is the only proven strategy over the long term.
I didn't say not to diversify, just that an index fund might not be the best vehicle.
Quote:
Unless you do this for a living, betting on single stock is a crap shoot. During the telco boom I made a small fortune on CSCO and prompty lost a significant portion of it on JDSU.
Indeed. The only reason to get into a single stock is if your employer gives shares as bonuses, matches stock purchases, or some similar package. Even then you have to be careful - just look at what happened to the Enron employees.
Quote:
Please define an "investment package with a return not less than a specified index". That smells like an index fund or a unit investment trust to me.
I just checked my [brief] notes from when my adviser mentioned it to me. It offered a guaranteed rate of return not less than 4% (minimum return) and the maximum return was the S&P less .5%.

A friend of mine was in a fund that tracked the S&P and rode it all the way down.

While we all need to remember "past performance is no guarantee of future results", there are a lot of funds that consistently outperform (for example) the S&P 500.

If you want a guarantee, get into a fixed account. Boring and low rate of return, but no need to manage it.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Family Man User

Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
I've heard that to really make a lot of money, you must take on a lot of risk. Diversifying will probably net you money, but investing everything in a single stock that makes it big, like MSFT back in the '80s or so...

Anyway, with risk comes reward (or suicide).

2004 BMW 330i • 6MT • Orient Blue Metallic • Sand Leather • Black Cube Trim • ZHP • ZCW
Old 05-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Ik hou van Holland...

Mein Auto: 530xiT
Stocks are funny... I had a lot of Cisco Systems stocks in 1998 and sold about half, made a lot of money. Still have a bunch left and they are worth about 10% of the original price.
If you would want to do something save up money to purchase a house much better..
My friends never listen to my advise about stocks, that's why I still have a lot of money and they were losing a lot of it by purchasing stocks like P6....
Old 05-17-2005, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 330/540/318is/MB190SL
Quote:
I just checked my [brief] notes from when my adviser mentioned it to me. It offered a guaranteed rate of return not less than 4% (minimum return) and the maximum return was the S&P less .5%.
Sounds like a variable annuity (insurance product).
Old 05-17-2005, 07:06 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
I dump as much money as I can into my 401k.

65% stock, 20% bonds and 15% cash.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:28 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Anyone have any experience with the index shares like QQQQ or SPY? Do they have any hidden costs, or are they just like trading any other stocks?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
I've heard that to really make a lot of money, you must take on a lot of risk. Diversifying will probably net you money, but investing everything in a single stock that makes it big, like MSFT back in the '80s or so...

Anyway, with risk comes reward (or suicide).
That's always the case. But unless you've got money to burn, can you afford to pour enough money into a tiny chance?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: Powered by Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowonder

--nw
excluding a mortgage of course.