Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-18-2005, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Mini Cooper S
2005 leftover vs 2006 X3

Does anyone know if the 2006 X3 will be significantly different from the 2005 X3 3.0? Anyone have info on confidential wholesale price for 2005/06 X3?
Thanks.
d
Ads by Google
Old 05-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvbear
Does anyone know if the 2006 X3 will be significantly different from the 2005 X3 3.0? Anyone have info on confidential wholesale price for 2005/06 X3?
Thanks.
d
There's a lot of speculation on the 2006, but I haven't heard anything concrete yet. A couple of magazines claim to have the "inside scoop" and that the 2006 will have a more powerful engine (250 hp?), but I'm not sure I'd believe anything yet. Besides, if you _really_ want more power, go for the Hamann 3.3 liter upgrade. 286 hp!
Old 05-19-2005, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: Audi
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/56..._x_appeal.html

I am waiting for 2006.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
That article makes it pretty clear that BMW will upgrade pretty much all of the most important aspects of the X3. The exterior styling, the materials and of course the engine. But what will that do to the cost? I personlallly like the interior as it is. I would be more reluctant to use the X3 in situations where it would get pretty dirty inside and out if it had all the nice plush soft-touch materials. Sure, most people won't ever put their BMW in that situation but I know I will.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
I'm a bit skeptical about the accuracy of the article -- I really think it's all just conjecture at this point. Same goes for any pictures of the new body style. But if you don't mind waiting until the fall, you can check out the real 2006 when it comes out. Then you can decide to either buy it, or pick up a 2005 for a pretty good deal. Best of both worlds if you can wait!
Old 05-20-2005, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
There has been a lot of press about the new engines finding their way into the 2006 X3s, and it makes sense, because BMW has in the past rolled out new engines and gradually incorporated them across the model line. The new engines are more powerful and more efficient (and currently offered in the 325 and 330).

I drive a 2.5 with a stick, and it has more than enough power to allow for very spirited driving. More power is always nice, especially when you're talking about the new BMW engines, which have been universally praised, but I am more than happy with the current 2.5.

The Autoexpress article makes statements that sound realistic, but it's difficult to know whether the source is reliable. I personally like the current model's black bumpers; they give the X3 a rugged, less precious appearance, but of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If they change the bumpers for something that looks more like the currently available aerodynamic kit, I wouldn't like it.

As far as interior materials are concerned, an interior upgrade could be a good thing, depending on the execution. I like the lines, curved surfaces and interplay of the materials in the current model. Softer touch plastics would be an improvement, as would higher quality leather and upgraded seats. But I would NOT want an X5 interior in the X3. Again, I like the modernist/minimalist/utilitarian interior of the current model.

I agree with climrgrl: if you're willing to wait, take a look at the 2006s and compare them to the 2005s. The only issue will be how many 2005s will be left on the lots at that point, because BMW will start incentivizing the soon to be old models well before the 2006s are delivered to dealers. If you're eager to get your X3 now, don't hesitate, go for it. Then you can spec it exactly as you want it and get a great price.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Quote:
Originally Posted by climrgrl
I'm a bit skeptical about the accuracy of the article -- I really think it's all just conjecture at this point. Same goes for any pictures of the new body style. But if you don't mind waiting until the fall, you can check out the real 2006 when it comes out. Then you can decide to either buy it, or pick up a 2005 for a pretty good deal. Best of both worlds if you can wait!
It's highly unlikely that the X3 will continue to sell for long with the out of date 3.0. Either it will get the new engine for the fall, or for march production. And the fall is FAR more likely.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 05-20-2005, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: E91 328 Touring (SPP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipo
I agree with climrgrl: if you're willing to wait, take a look at the 2006s and compare them to the 2005s. The only issue will be how many 2005s will be left on the lots at that point, because BMW will start incentivizing the soon to be old models well before the 2006s are delivered to dealers. If you're eager to get your X3 now, don't hesitate, go for it. Then you can spec it exactly as you want it and get a great price.

Regarding how many 05 X3s are left, there's still tons.

I work in a building in Glendale, CA. Across the street is a parking structure for a shopping center. The top two floors of the structure are filled with spank'n new BMWs. Looking out the window, I can count at least 20-25 X3's just sit'n there. Of course cannot distiguish between 2.5 or 3.0.

I imagine that the lot is used by Pacific BMW of Glendale just down the street. It is certainly possible that another BMW dealer also uses that lot to store new cars. However it is not very likely.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
There was a 2005 X3 3.0 with exactly the options I want sitting on the lot in Schwienfurt Germany (US SPEC'D BMWs are hard to comeby here in Germany, there are only a few in each military community) the reason I stopped to have a look was the "Y" spoked 18 inched wheels (sport, premium, even had the nav) but I think the 255 hp engine alone is worth the wait for a 2006. I was chatting with the dealer and he even said the 2006 was well worth the wait. I told him the reason I wanted the blue 2005 he had on hand was that the 18 inch "Y" spoked wheels raised the top speed to 137 mph (up from 130 for the regular 3.0 X3), he was like so, the 2006 will be capable of 250 km/h+ (152 mph).

I can't wait to order one.

oh well August will get here soon.

JP
Old 05-22-2005, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Remember that BMW updated the interior on the 2005 models, they incoporated:

•Soft touch plastics on the inside around the center radio surround.
•Interior door handles are pearl gloss.
•Doorsill inserts with the BMW logo.
•Door pockets match the interior color.
•Carpet that matches the interior color.
•Carpet in trunk matches interior color.
•Black in place of the Basalt Gray Dash.
•Power door button surrounds match the interior color.

What else could they do?
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 05-25-2005, 08:26 AM

I have talked to another dealer who hasn't heard whats new for 2006 yet. Anyway, he doesn't think the X3 will get the new engines until the facelift year. I guess we will see.

JP
Old 06-02-2005, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: R1150GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by szuszu
Here's a quote from that article:
Facelifted models will go on sale in Germany in September next year, with right-hand-drive cars due before the end of 2006.

Assuming the article is accurate, that makes it sound like 2007 model year. You're willing to wait another year and a half for these upgrades?
Old 06-04-2005, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
Hopefully we will find out soon enough. The article is from a british magazine and the right hand drive they are refering too is X3s with wheels mounted on right hand side for british left sided traffic. If they put new engines and upgrade interior + paint the bumpers for the fall (2006) productions I am sure we will get them at the same time. Would not make sense to have the factory manufacture two different versions at the same time.... my $$$ is on the new engines for this fall....
Old 06-27-2005, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E60
Look here: www.heimhof.de/x3/x3.htm
X3 was seen end of June in Bavaria - Germany.

The acelift for 2006 ?
Old 06-27-2005, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: X
This is for sure the '06 facelift.

Nice That looks much better at the front. Meaner, but more integrated looking, more like a sporting BMW....I won't go as far a saying M3-like...

Now we just need interior shots, and some dates
Old 06-27-2005, 04:48 AM

The theme "facelift 2006" is discussed also in German forums. I've got the photos from there. The photographer told us, that the photos from the inside are too bad to publish.

Here in Germany we don't think that the pictures show the facelift for 2006. Usually the front spots are changed too, when facelifting. We think that they show an additional feature for the sport package. But on 4th of July BMW will publish the official new price list for autum 2005. We will be smarter then.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d ZMP
Thats very nice...it's killing me to buy a 2005 but the money factor rate alone is going to make a 2006 $100 more a month, so thats already $3600 over the lease term..if theres a new engine or upgrade it might raise the price as well.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Mini Cooper S
Gang
Thanks for the many responses.
I decided not to wait.
I leased a 2005 X3 3.0 from my favorite dealer; silver grey, black interior, iPod, privacy glass, xenons.
I had difficulty ignoring with the massive content upgrade from 2004, the 1.55% lease factor, 60% residual, and an extra couple of thou off the price.
I have had it for a week - outstanding vehicle.
Duvbear
Old 06-28-2005, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Did anyone notice that in the up-close shot of the rim there is a small "///M" logo? Is it possible that this is actually a "M" version of the X3? Or has this rim been around for a while and they are just using it for testing?

Old 06-28-2005, 02:14 PM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3drive
This is for sure the '06 facelift.

Nice That looks much better at the front. Meaner, but more integrated looking, more like a sporting BMW....I won't go as far a saying M3-like...

Now we just need interior shots, and some dates
The black bumper treatment has always looked odd to my eyes on the lighter coloured vehicles, and better looking on the darker vehicles (one of the reasons I chose black).

The body colour panels are an improvement for the lighter colour vehicles from the side view.

However the front bumpers look like a step backward to me - fat and boat like on the corners. Not good proportions. The front view looks like a happy face or some kind of demented rabit face. Actually the effect is a bit Audi like in the front view. The rears are OK.

Why bother with the two tones on the front?
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Old 06-28-2005, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d ZMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvbear
Gang
Thanks for the many responses.
I decided not to wait.
I leased a 2005 X3 3.0 from my favorite dealer; silver grey, black interior, iPod, privacy glass, xenons.
I had difficulty ignoring with the massive content upgrade from 2004, the 1.55% lease factor, 60% residual, and an extra couple of thou off the price.
I have had it for a week - outstanding vehicle.
Duvbear
Where are you getting 1.55% lease factor from? June buy rates are .00010 or 2.4% effective, I don't see how its possible you are getting 1.55% even with 5 MSD's would be 1.8%
Old 06-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Leftover Hippie

Mein Auto: 2010 328xiT
Quote:
The body colour panels are an improvement for the lighter colour vehicles from the side view.

However the front bumpers look like a step backward to me - fat and boat like on the corners. Not good proportions. The front view looks like a happy face or some kind of demented rabit face. Actually the effect is a bit Audi like in the front view. The rears are OK.

The black in both the front and the back in these shots is a black mask just like the stuff covering the engine size logo. If you look carefully you can see the surface irregularities of the tape material. This is a common treatment given to "test mule" cars that are out on the streets in advance of a new model's release.

To be honest however, I like and wanted the plastic on the parts of the body that are going to get abused. The rocker panels under the doors gets trashed from road debris, the front end will get rock chips galore, and the rear valence right behind the rear wheels will get chipped by road debris as well. My X3 gets gravel road use and I have no use for fancy painted surfaces I will feel guilty about abusing.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
The black bumper treatment has always looked odd to my eyes on the lighter coloured vehicles, and better looking on the darker vehicles (one of the reasons I chose black).

Its not "two toned." If you look close there is a black tape of some kind covering parts of the bumpers. This is done to prevent a good look at the new lines of the car (its a test mule thing). The bumpers ARE only one color, the tape comes off, if you look you will see that it isn't even on there straight, there are rolls and air pockets in the tape.

JP
Old 06-28-2005, 11:00 PM

What see on the pictures is definetly the M-Sport package. I guess it will be sold by the end of this year.

If you take a look at the following link: http://www.autobild.de/erlkoenige/n...artikel_id=9016 you have to click on "24 Bilder" .
The pictures 11 - 14 show the facelift for 2007.

By the way with the facelift the 2.5i will have 218 and the 3.0i 258 horses !
Old 06-29-2005, 04:13 AM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreXray
Its not "two toned." If you look close there is a black tape of some kind covering parts of the bumpers. This is done to prevent a good look at the new lines of the car (its a test mule thing). The bumpers ARE only one color, the tape comes off, if you look you will see that it isn't even on there straight, there are rolls and air pockets in the tape.

JP
Looking more closely it is tape.

What a lame a coverup job if that is the intent. It looks like the rear lights of the two vehicles together are different in the center (clear on the grey).

I agree with you Tasmanian - it looks like an M body package.............

Like on the new 5x wagon.....
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired