Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-19-2005, 01:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Shut the air conditioner off with a single click

Can the a/c be shut off with a single click on the E39?

The only way I know how to shut the air conditioner off is to press the down button (-) as many times as needed until there is only one LED lit on the orange electronic ramp - and then one more click of the (-) button finally shuts off the ac.

That could be as much as a dozen clicks.

I can use the one-click "MAX" button to turn ON the ac - but is there a way to turn the ac off with a single click that I missed?
Ads by Google
Old 05-19-2005, 06:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahem
Can the a/c be shut off with a single click on the E39?

The only way I know how to shut the air conditioner off is to press the down button (-) as many times as needed until there is only one LED lit on the orange electronic ramp - and then one more click of the (-) button finally shuts off the ac.

That could be as much as a dozen clicks.

I can use the one-click "MAX" button to turn ON the ac - but is there a way to turn the ac off with a single click that I missed?
The "snowflake" button is the AC on/off swtich. Why aren't you using that? The -/+ button is used to control fan speed aqnd the MAX button just sets the fan speed to the highest level when activated.

Hope this helps....JL
Old 05-19-2005, 08:28 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Well, as pointed out above, you are talking about two separate functions:

(1) A/C
(2) Fan speed

I'm going to assume you'd like to shut down the fan speed with one click (because, if fan speed is zero, essentially you've shut off the A/C/heater). Well, you can't. However, if you hold the - button down on the fan speed, it will go a bit faster I think.

One thing that has always annoyed me about the climate control in the car is that it won't remember that you've shut the fan speed down to zero. When you re-start the car, the fan speed comes on at the lowest speed setting. Well, at least *I* could never get it to come on with zero fan speed.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Senior Slacker

Mein Auto: 9A1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99
Well, as pointed out above, you are talking about two separate functions:

(1) A/C
(2) Fan speed

I'm going to assume you'd like to shut down the fan speed with one click (because, if fan speed is zero, essentially you've shut off the A/C/heater). Well, you can't. However, if you hold the - button down on the fan speed, it will go a bit faster I think.

One thing that has always annoyed me about the climate control in the car is that it won't remember that you've shut the fan speed down to zero. When you re-start the car, the fan speed comes on at the lowest speed setting. Well, at least *I* could never get it to come on with zero fan speed.
I have noticed that if I shut the fun off before shutting off the car and then restart it within a certain time frame (and don't ask me what it is ) the fan remains at 0. Otherwise I usually push the - once before I crank the engine so the a/c does not come on. It is an annoyance but better than I-drive.

Old 05-19-2005, 04:24 PM
round -n- shiney

Send a message via ICQ to rost12 Send a message via MSN to rost12
Mein Auto: m5, 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexed
It is an annoyance but better than I-drive.
On i-Drive'd 7 there's a simple "OFF" button for all of the HVAC system
Old 05-19-2005, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFast
The "snowflake" button is the AC on/off swtich. Why aren't you using that? The -/+ button is used to control fan speed and the MAX button just sets the fan speed to the highest level when activated.
Ughh. I did not realize that. I went back to the owners manual today and reaffirmed that you are correct. So is Agent99 in that I had confused the fan operation with the ac operation. They are separate entities when it comes to a cabin comfort strategy.

... The snowflake button turns the AC on or off (whether or not the fan is turning)
... The -/+ button sets the fan speed (whether or not the AC is running)

I guess that leaves open the question of what happens if I do one but not the other. That is, if I turn on the fan without the AC obviously it just blows ambient air but if I turn on the AC without the fan ... what happens?

Last edited by Ahem; 05-19-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:52 AM
round -n- shiney

Send a message via ICQ to rost12 Send a message via MSN to rost12
Mein Auto: m5, 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahem
but if I turn on the AC without the fan ... what happens?
When the fan is off, everything HVVAC related is off.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i E39
If you leave the a/c on and put the system in 'auto' mode with the temp set to 18.0 I find it keeps the car cool and comfy. Only time I need to press a button is if the window mists up, and the a/c is a definate bonus for clearing the windscreen.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastednuts
If you leave the a/c on and put the system in 'auto' mode with the temp set to 18.0 I find it keeps the car cool and comfy. Only time I need to press a button is if the window mists up, and the a/c is a definate bonus for clearing the windscreen.
Yes, the A/C button will cool and DRY the air so it works great for clearing up fogging windows.