Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-19-2005, 01:02 AM
Ahem Ahem is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: BMW
Shut the air conditioner off with a single click

Can the a/c be shut off with a single click on the E39?

The only way I know how to shut the air conditioner off is to press the down button (-) as many times as needed until there is only one LED lit on the orange electronic ramp - and then one more click of the (-) button finally shuts off the ac.

That could be as much as a dozen clicks.

I can use the one-click "MAX" button to turn ON the ac - but is there a way to turn the ac off with a single click that I missed?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 05-19-2005, 06:55 AM
SRFast's Avatar
SRFast SRFast is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York City
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 789
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahem
Can the a/c be shut off with a single click on the E39?

The only way I know how to shut the air conditioner off is to press the down button (-) as many times as needed until there is only one LED lit on the orange electronic ramp - and then one more click of the (-) button finally shuts off the ac.

That could be as much as a dozen clicks.

I can use the one-click "MAX" button to turn ON the ac - but is there a way to turn the ac off with a single click that I missed?
The "snowflake" button is the AC on/off swtich. Why aren't you using that? The -/+ button is used to control fan speed aqnd the MAX button just sets the fan speed to the highest level when activated.

Hope this helps....JL
__________________
2003 530i 5spd/SP/PP/CWP/PDC/RSAB/Xenons
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2005, 08:28 AM
Ågent99's Avatar
Ågent99 Ågent99 is offline
Moderator, 5-Series
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,931
Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Well, as pointed out above, you are talking about two separate functions:

(1) A/C
(2) Fan speed

I'm going to assume you'd like to shut down the fan speed with one click (because, if fan speed is zero, essentially you've shut off the A/C/heater). Well, you can't. However, if you hold the - button down on the fan speed, it will go a bit faster I think.

One thing that has always annoyed me about the climate control in the car is that it won't remember that you've shut the fan speed down to zero. When you re-start the car, the fan speed comes on at the lowest speed setting. Well, at least *I* could never get it to come on with zero fan speed.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2005, 10:50 AM
vexed's Avatar
vexed vexed is offline
Senior Slacker
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,602
Mein Auto: 9A1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99
Well, as pointed out above, you are talking about two separate functions:

(1) A/C
(2) Fan speed

I'm going to assume you'd like to shut down the fan speed with one click (because, if fan speed is zero, essentially you've shut off the A/C/heater). Well, you can't. However, if you hold the - button down on the fan speed, it will go a bit faster I think.

One thing that has always annoyed me about the climate control in the car is that it won't remember that you've shut the fan speed down to zero. When you re-start the car, the fan speed comes on at the lowest speed setting. Well, at least *I* could never get it to come on with zero fan speed.
I have noticed that if I shut the fun off before shutting off the car and then restart it within a certain time frame (and don't ask me what it is ) the fan remains at 0. Otherwise I usually push the - once before I crank the engine so the a/c does not come on. It is an annoyance but better than I-drive.
__________________
vexed

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2005, 04:24 PM
rost12's Avatar
rost12 rost12 is offline
round -n- shiney
Location: Toronto, ON
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,617
Send a message via ICQ to rost12 Send a message via MSN to rost12
Mein Auto: m5, 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexed
It is an annoyance but better than I-drive.
On i-Drive'd 7 there's a simple "OFF" button for all of the HVAC system
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Ahem Ahem is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFast
The "snowflake" button is the AC on/off swtich. Why aren't you using that? The -/+ button is used to control fan speed and the MAX button just sets the fan speed to the highest level when activated.
Ughh. I did not realize that. I went back to the owners manual today and reaffirmed that you are correct. So is Agent99 in that I had confused the fan operation with the ac operation. They are separate entities when it comes to a cabin comfort strategy.

... The snowflake button turns the AC on or off (whether or not the fan is turning)
... The -/+ button sets the fan speed (whether or not the AC is running)

I guess that leaves open the question of what happens if I do one but not the other. That is, if I turn on the fan without the AC obviously it just blows ambient air but if I turn on the AC without the fan ... what happens?

Last edited by Ahem; 05-19-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-20-2005, 03:52 AM
rost12's Avatar
rost12 rost12 is offline
round -n- shiney
Location: Toronto, ON
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,617
Send a message via ICQ to rost12 Send a message via MSN to rost12
Mein Auto: m5, 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahem
but if I turn on the AC without the fan ... what happens?
When the fan is off, everything HVVAC related is off.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-20-2005, 05:08 AM
toastednuts toastednuts is offline
Registered User
Location: Reading, UK
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: BMW 528i E39
If you leave the a/c on and put the system in 'auto' mode with the temp set to 18.0 I find it keeps the car cool and comfy. Only time I need to press a button is if the window mists up, and the a/c is a definate bonus for clearing the windscreen.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Ågent99's Avatar
Ågent99 Ågent99 is offline
Moderator, 5-Series
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,931
Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastednuts
If you leave the a/c on and put the system in 'auto' mode with the temp set to 18.0 I find it keeps the car cool and comfy. Only time I need to press a button is if the window mists up, and the a/c is a definate bonus for clearing the windscreen.
Yes, the A/C button will cool and DRY the air so it works great for clearing up fogging windows.
__________________
2001 530i/5 (E39), Topaz Blue/Stone Green/Black (118k miles) *very rare interior/exterior color combo*
2005 545i/SMG (E60), ED Order, Titanium Grey/Grey (lease over)
2015 335i, ED Order Summer 2015
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Conditioner Odor Radfahrer Do-It-Yourself H.Q. 7 10-31-2008 03:41 AM
air conditioner condensation sarastro 3 Series / 4 Series 1 06-19-2003 02:20 PM
ESIS (modified stock air box) mini update 31st330i 3 Series / 4 Series 6 05-16-2002 11:55 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms