Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 05-19-2005, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3
Question Wheel/Tire size delima

Help! I have a 2005 M3 daily driver that sees just about as many track miles as it does commuter miles. I've decided it would be a good idea to obtain a set of wheels and tires to be used strictly at the track. I've been told (by reputable sources) that putting the same size tire and wheel at all four corners can dramatically reduce cornering push and provide a better overall dynamic balance. Unfortunately, those sources are not E46 M3 drivers and they could not recommend a specific wheel/tire size applicable to my vehicle. My question is, what is the optimum track tire/wheel size for an E46 M3 shod identically at all four corners? Does anybody know where that E46 M3 sweet spot is? Opinions? Experiences? All response are appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3
I would recommend 265 all round on 18's (or 17's) as track wheels.
Volk LE37 or RAC RS110 would be excelent wheels to go with.

Life is like a B Movie, you wouldn't want to sit through it twice, but you'd hate to leave it in the middle!
Old 05-19-2005, 09:42 PM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
This is may be a bit off this thread, but insofar as wheels/tires sizes go for the M3....

I drove it with 19's and think its just too much for a daily driver. Anyone have 18's having driven it with 19's? How mush difference is there?

I can't even FIND one anywhere to drive without 19's on it..... my local guy's brought allhis in with them preordered with the bigger wheels.

I'm gonna call around tomorrow, but I wanted to know what you all thought.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the input Cowboy. I called Tire Rack, and after some encouragement on my part ("Gee, most people just go with the staggered sizes" - but most people don't track their car do they?) they finally said that 265/35-18 tires on 18x9.5 rims w/ 35mm offsets were the way to go. Since the stockers are 225/45 on 18x8 in front and 255/40 on 18x9 in the rear, I thought 265's sounded a bit large for the front. Will I have any clearance problems with that tire size in front through the full range of suspension travel? I guess the 35 series saves me a half inch in diameter, but it's almost three quarters of an inch wider which makes me a bit neverous about clearance. I'm not anxious to bruise my new baby by squatting the fender on the tire because I got too friendly with the FIA curbing.

Last edited by youngdc; 05-21-2005 at 08:20 AM. Reason: misquote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
285/30-18 all around.

1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 05-20-2005, 08:31 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Do you have camber plates?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:52 PM

No camber plates (yet) as it's still all stock. It's not even two months old, but I've already shredded the fronts with just three trips to the track (Are ContiSportContacts know to chunk easily?).
Old 05-20-2005, 04:16 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Conti's are terrible.

You'll want camber plates or you're still going to only be running on the edges of whatever size tires you put up front.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:11 PM

you didn't mention or failed to infer in your post if you have a ZCP or just the regular M3?
if just the regular, then you are definitely going to want to sawp out the suspension and add some camber plates if you plan on tracking the car at the rate you are already.

if you do that, you will not have any trouble with the 265 square set-up.
HTH

Life is like a B Movie, you wouldn't want to sit through it twice, but you'd hate to leave it in the middle!
Old 05-21-2005, 08:16 AM

Displaying my ignorance, I'm going to guess that ZCP is the designator for the competition package. Mine's just a regular M3 (is "regular M3" an oxymoron?). From this and other threads, I'm getting the impression that you're correct about the camber plates being in my future Cowboy. I'm trying to be patient about mods since it doesn't even have 3K miles on it yet, but I'll probably be quicker on the trigger after I eat up another couple sets of rubber. Do I have to rebuild the entire front suspension when I go to camber plates, or is that something that I can do piecemeal by starting with adjustable plates and adding more later when I'm ready?
Old 05-21-2005, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngdc
Displaying my ignorance, I'm going to guess that ZCP is the designator for the competition package. Mine's just a regular M3 (is "regular M3" an oxymoron?). From this and other threads, I'm getting the impression that you're correct about the camber plates being in my future Cowboy. I'm trying to be patient about mods since it doesn't even have 3K miles on it yet, but I'll probably be quicker on the trigger after I eat up another couple sets of rubber. Do I have to rebuild the entire front suspension when I go to camber plates, or is that something that I can do piecemeal by starting with adjustable plates and adding more later when I'm ready?
"Z" = Option in BMW speak...more or less, and CP is indeed the Comp Package.

As to the rest of your question... there is no har or fast rule about how you go about doing the susp upgrade, It is no biggie either way.
that is except that you are going to have to remove the struts to add the plates nyway so many of us just bite the bullit and do it all in one go.
FYI, I had fewer miles they you currently have when I swappedthe whole susp out.

of course you don't "Need" to go with a suspension upgrade, but if you are serious about the car, and the track you are really going to want to swap the thing out.
that is just my opinion, but I think you will find it pretty much universally supported by other track dogs.