Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Josephbmw Josephbmw is offline
Registered User
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528i
Angry 1999 528i Auto transmission trouble

Bought my first new BMW in 1999 and now it has 54,000 miles on it, just broken in. It's been serviced by the BMW dealer where I got it and since I got it. Problems with the transmission just happened and I'm told I've got to have a new transmission put in for mega bucks! I'm not a stupid crazy driver who abuses a car. I've never had any transmission problems with any other car I ever owned and I'm a senior citizen. Saw one recommendation on the internet that BMW transmission filter be replaced every 15,000 miles to extend the life of the transmission. I cannot find anything on any service sheet that says my dealer ever changed my transmission filter. Do I have a case? What is the recommendation? Are there others with transmission problems after so few miles? This is totally unacceptable in this day and age. I am a mechanical engineer and know a bit about cars and engines. This is outrageous for what is supposed to be a premier car. Right now I don't drive a Beemer, it's a Bummer and I'm just getting started.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Ågent99's Avatar
Ågent99 Ågent99 is offline
Moderator, 5-Series
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,930
Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
The automatic transmission on your BMW is supposedly a "lifetime fluid" tranny fluid. It gives the impression that one doesn't need to change the tranny oil.

Before going the route of getting a new transmission, spend the money to have the fluid and filter changed.

What is the transmission doing?
__________________
2001 530i/5 (E39), Topaz Blue/Stone Green/Black (118k miles) *very rare interior/exterior color combo*
2005 545i/SMG (E60), ED Order, Titanium Grey/Grey (lease over)
2015 335i, ED Order Summer 2015
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-14-2009, 02:45 PM
martin heinesen martin heinesen is offline
Registered User
Location: faroe island
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 520i/e39 and 316i/e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephbmw View Post
Bought my first new BMW in 1999 and now it has 54,000 miles on it, just broken in. It's been serviced by the BMW dealer where I got it and since I got it. Problems with the transmission just happened and I'm told I've got to have a new transmission put in for mega bucks! I'm not a stupid crazy driver who abuses a car. I've never had any transmission problems with any other car I ever owned and I'm a senior citizen. Saw one recommendation on the internet that BMW transmission filter be replaced every 15,000 miles to extend the life of the transmission. I cannot find anything on any service sheet that says my dealer ever changed my transmission filter. Do I have a case? What is the recommendation? Are there others with transmission problems after so few miles? This is totally unacceptable in this day and age. I am a mechanical engineer and know a bit about cars and engines. This is outrageous for what is supposed to be a premier car. Right now I don't drive a Beemer, it's a Bummer and I'm just getting started.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Jason5driver's Avatar
Jason5driver Jason5driver is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Middle of a corn field
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,465
Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1267367
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-14-2009, 04:28 PM
bmw_n00b13's Avatar
bmw_n00b13 bmw_n00b13 is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: Cambridge, ON
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,372
Mein Auto: 99 528iA
According to Bimmer Magazine we can expect automatic transmission failures between 80,000 and 120,000 on all BMWs with the lifetime fill, unless it's dealt with early enough. Appparently BMW sees lifetime as 100,000 miles, i.e. CPO warranty.
__________________
'99 528i ('98/12 build). 174,000km BY29428/Royalrot
Breaking My Wallet since 2009
Mods: Stoptech SS brake hose, 280piece toolkit resting on trunk floor, Beisan VANOS seals
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Jason5driver's Avatar
Jason5driver Jason5driver is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Middle of a corn field
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,465
Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
According to Bimmer Magazine we can expect automatic transmission failures between 80,000 and 120,000 on all BMWs with the lifetime fill, unless it's dealt with early enough. Appparently BMW sees lifetime as 100,000 miles, i.e. CPO warranty.
Right.
This, IMO, is unexceptable.
Thus, the reason why I replaced my ATF and filter.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 PM
LBCD LBCD is offline
Registered User
Location: Long Beach
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: 1998 528i
I replaced mine a few months back...at least try it first.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-15-2009, 04:59 AM
bmw_n00b13's Avatar
bmw_n00b13 bmw_n00b13 is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: Cambridge, ON
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,372
Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Take it to a transmission shop; someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think your car got a GM transmission, so it's common enough that anyone should be able to work on it.

BMW doesn't make their own transmissions, so they don't work on them….somewhat illogical but think of the added training involved.
__________________
'99 528i ('98/12 build). 174,000km BY29428/Royalrot
Breaking My Wallet since 2009
Mods: Stoptech SS brake hose, 280piece toolkit resting on trunk floor, Beisan VANOS seals
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-15-2009, 12:54 PM
lpotter lpotter is offline
Registered User
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2002 530i
There ar so many posts in here about BMW transmission issues, but very few people ever come back to say what the issue was. Leads me to believe they gave up and put the car out of its misery. I am considering doing the same thing. I have a 2002 530i with a mystery shudder between second and third gear. It only happens from a dead stop. Otherwise the transmission shifts fine and there are no faults. I have read this exact same issue in many threads, but no one EVER says what the issue was. Does anyone have any ideas? Its not fluid level. Again, there are no faults, no check engine light. A few people have said drive and drive and drive until it faults. I have driven a year, and there are no faults. Any thoughts out there?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-15-2009, 01:04 PM
doru's Avatar
doru doru is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calgary
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,493
Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
This is an older thread - OP posted in May and never came back. He just vented his anger.
OP should have posted what the symptoms of his tranny were? His is a GM tranny. It prolly could be fixed for less $$$ than replacing. Lots of tranny shops that know the GM tranny very well.
But OP should post what the concern with his tranny is. Also, it's the first time I hear about replacing the filter at 15,000 miles, but lifetime fluid? Something is not right.

0.02
__________________
Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-15-2009, 01:16 PM
PharoE39's Avatar
PharoE39 PharoE39 is offline
SPIRIT-FILLED DRIVER!
Location: Tulsa OK (Pomona CA)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 499
Mein Auto: 1997 528i,2005 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
This is an older thread - OP posted in May and never came back....
0.02
lol. yep in may of 2005
__________________
06/97 AlpinWeiß III 528iA
///M Bronze Double Spoke 65///'01 Hella AE's///Remus muffler///Mstyle Front & Rear///ACstyle CF Spoiler & Front Splitters///Black Wide Kidney Grill///Sliding/Opening Leather Center Armrest
09/04 TitanGrau II Metalic 530i
Sport Pkg.///ColdWeather Pkg.///Green LED Angel Eyes
EntwurfsDriftenFahren/DraftDriftDrive
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Jason5driver's Avatar
Jason5driver Jason5driver is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Middle of a corn field
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,465
Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpotter View Post
There ar so many posts in here about BMW transmission issues, but very few people ever come back to say what the issue was. Leads me to believe they gave up and put the car out of its misery. I am considering doing the same thing. I have a 2002 530i with a mystery shudder between second and third gear. It only happens from a dead stop. Otherwise the transmission shifts fine and there are no faults. I have read this exact same issue in many threads, but no one EVER says what the issue was. Does anyone have any ideas? Its not fluid level. Again, there are no faults, no check engine light. A few people have said drive and drive and drive until it faults. I have driven a year, and there are no faults. Any thoughts out there?

Has your car been read by the BMW GT-1 computer?
Look here for a good mechanic:
www.Bimrs.org
Or look in phone book, or ask around.

How many miles do you have?
If your car is a 2002, I would think that you have approx. 80k miles.
I would replace the old ATF and filter and see what happens.
I can't hurt IMO.
But, first, get the codes read.

Contact Jared at www.EACtuning.com for information about which fluids, parts, and if you would like to know more about Amsoil.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-15-2009, 01:37 PM
bmw_n00b13's Avatar
bmw_n00b13 bmw_n00b13 is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: Cambridge, ON
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,372
Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharoE39 View Post
lol. yep in may of 2005
I seldom look at post dates…
__________________
'99 528i ('98/12 build). 174,000km BY29428/Royalrot
Breaking My Wallet since 2009
Mods: Stoptech SS brake hose, 280piece toolkit resting on trunk floor, Beisan VANOS seals
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
auto folding mirror trouble suzer X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) 6 10-15-2004 08:39 PM
TSB: Trouble engaging gears (lots of models covered) webguy330i 3 Series / 4 Series 49 01-28-2004 12:17 PM
Auto Transmission Fluid replacement WAM 5 Series DIY 3 11-05-2003 01:32 PM
Manual And Auto Transmission Fluid FYI WAM Do-It-Yourself H.Q. 4 07-03-2003 04:40 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms