Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-19-2005, 07:12 PM
spektors spektors is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago, IL
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2003 M3 Convert SMG
Hands free phone integration

Guys,

I am trying to find a solution for using hands free phone option on my car. I have all the buttons on steering wheel.

What is the good (least expencive) way to use those buttons.

Bluetooth or hardwired.

Thank you
Stephen
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 05-20-2005, 03:33 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,768
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektors
Guys,

I am trying to find a solution for using hands free phone option on my car. I have all the buttons on steering wheel.

What is the good (least expencive) way to use those buttons.

Bluetooth or hardwired.

Thank you
Stephen
Bluetooth... http://www.bmwboard.com/forum/showpo...8&postcount=37
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-20-2005, 05:59 AM
LDV330i LDV330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 6,079
Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Bluetooth is the only way to go. You can upgrade/change phone handsets and do not have to worry about changing the car hardware or limited by what may be available.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-20-2005, 07:25 AM
dawgbone dawgbone is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North America
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 316
Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Technic, The link on the voice module is broke.. Just wondering if you have any insight on a voice module retrofit for e46, or if there is one..I hate flipping through 130'ish phonebook listings...TIA
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2005, 09:09 AM
blackM3 blackM3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Syracuse
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2005 M3
I bought a crappy motorola phone (always liked nokias better) just to work with the bluetooth in my car. I was very disappointed. The handsfree didnt work that good really. You had to shout for them to even hear you. Maybe because the M3 is so much louder than your standard BMW. To me, the bluetooth system in the M3 is a waste. I sold the phone and got one I liked.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2005, 12:45 PM
dawgbone dawgbone is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North America
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 316
Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackM3
I bought a crappy motorola phone (always liked nokias better) just to work with the bluetooth in my car. I was very disappointed. The handsfree didnt work that good really. You had to shout for them to even hear you. Maybe because the M3 is so much louder than your standard BMW. To me, the bluetooth system in the M3 is a waste. I sold the phone and got one I liked.

Wierd, I too always liked Nokia, But the Nokia phones do not use the same system(forget what it's called) as BMW BT and would not load the phonebook..I even consulted with BMWNA about it, trying to spare my Nokia, but with no joy...So I bought the Motorolla RAZR and although pricey, has been excellent with BT, as well as a well equipt phone..I even hate flip type phones..but very impressed by this one..
I have no problems with noice or it being hard to hear or having to yell...I could see that being an issue with a Cabrio..But I would only have to yell if I were to talk with the windows down..And even if I were, I just adjust the volume, and turn my voice more toward the mic...BT is definately worth it's every penny to me..being that I have manual tranny, it is even more worth it..My only complaint is the lack of voice commands...

http://www.motomodders.net/
I've been able to make my phone fit to my likings fairly well
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,768
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Technic, The link on the voice module is broke.. Just wondering if you have any insight on a voice module retrofit for e46, or if there is one..I hate flipping through 130'ish phonebook listings...TIA
This is the link: http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/BM...%20Control.pdf

So far there is no indication that the separate SES voice module is available for convertibles in the US (no part number, no installation instructions, no official references). I suppose that you have the new Assist/Blutooth TCU; my advice is to try to find the 26 pin connector somewhere in the trunk of your Convertible (should be close to the TCU), that is the SES plug. If you can find it then you can install the SES.

If there is none, I have read somewhere that there is a brand new version of the TCU (production date 01/05-on) that includes the SES within the Assist and Bluetooth sections. Probably you can replace your current TCU with it and then have the full phone feature set, keeping the Assist feature too.

Check with your part department for pricing and availability. A programming session will be required.

Last edited by Technic; 05-24-2005 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2005, 07:41 AM
dawgbone dawgbone is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North America
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 316
Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
This is the link: http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/BM...%20Control.pdf

So far there is no indication that the separate SES voice module is available for convertibles in the US (no part number, no installation instructions, no official references). I suppose that you have the new Assist/Blutooth TCU; my advice is to try to find the 26 pin connector somewhere in the trunk of your Convertible (should be close to the TCU), that is the SES plug. If you can find it then you can install the SES.
Thanks for the link and heads up on the programming required..But I own a coupe..so what you're saying is that I shouldn't have a problem, being that I have a coupe...right? Just find the SES connection, and plug in?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,768
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Thanks for the link and heads up on the programming required..But I own a coupe..so what you're saying is that I shouldn't have a problem, being that I have a coupe...right? Just find the SES connection, and plug in?
Yes, you are set then... I got it in my Coupe, plug 'n play.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell Phone Antenna Connectioner Question Zappo Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech 5 06-21-2012 01:20 PM
I have a Verizon bluetooth phone working with my BMW Dmitri Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech 2 02-10-2004 03:35 PM
E60 Phone question troutjohn 5 Series 4 11-20-2003 07:27 PM
Cell Phone Integration jpd330 Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech 3 11-17-2003 07:54 PM
BMW Hands Free Kit just4thethrill General BMW 5 02-04-2002 11:00 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms