Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Family Man User

Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
15k mile service

At ~10,000 miles, I brought my car in for service on some maintenance issues I had. Without asking me, the dealership to which I went did the annual oil change (or so they say) and then reset the service indicator. Now that I'm almost at 15k miles, I guess I should bring it in so they can do the full oil service, which IIRC, is as follows:

BMW Engine Oil Service
Change oil and oil filter while engine is at operating temperature. We recommend BMW High Performance 5W-30 Synthetic oil, p/n 07 51 0 017 866
Reset service interval indicator.
Replace microfilter.
Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads using special tool. If replacement is necessary: Examine brake disc surfaces. Clean brake pad contact points in calipers. Grease wheel centering hubs. Check thickness of parking brake linings only when replacing rear pads.
Check parking brake actuation. Adjust if necessary.
Note: Do not reset Service Indicator when additional oil changes (between the normal intervals) are requested by the customer.

Does this sound right? Will they give me a hard time because they already reset the SI? Should they do another oil change for me, even though it's been only 5k miles since my last service?

TIA.

2004 BMW 330i 6MT Orient Blue Metallic Sand Leather Black Cube Trim ZHP ZCW
Ads by Google
Old 05-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Former ZHP pilot

Mein Auto: 2011 135i M Sport
They are probably going to tell you that its to early for service. My dealer does that too but only if you have 2-3k miles to service on the odo.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Vanos
They are probably going to tell you that its to early for service. My dealer does that too but only if you have 2-3k miles to service on the odo.
Well, I'm like 10,000 miles too early for service then, since they reset my indicator... What should I do?

Old 05-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
Well, I'm like 10,000 miles too early for service then, since they reset my indicator... What should I do?
what did they show on your invoice as the work done? do they show that the oil service was done, and the microfilter replaced? if not take it in, explain what happened and have them perform the remaining items other than the oil change....you could also check the microfilter to see if it's a new one...that may tell you if they did the full service or just an oil change...
Old 05-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
what did they show on your invoice as the work done? do they show that the oil service was done, and the microfilter replaced? if not take it in, explain what happened and have them perform the remaining items other than the oil change....you could also check the microfilter to see if it's a new one...that may tell you if they did the full service or just an oil change...
Oh, good call. My service invoice says 0000250 BMW engine oil service including 36 WPM 0.06, oil filter insert, oil 5w30 synthetic, wind wash single bot, microfilter, 10333 oil ser, due wp perform oil ser. Doesn't mention checking brake pads, parking brake, etc., though... I wonder if they did that part.

Old 05-20-2005, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Oh, good call. My service invoice says 0000250 BMW engine oil service including 36 WPM 0.06, oil filter insert, oil 5w30 synthetic, wind wash single bot, microfilter, 10333 oil ser, due wp perform oil ser. Doesn't mention checking brake pads, parking brake, etc., though... I wonder if they did that part.
My receipts have never listed all the individual checks. Only lists the individual consummables. Only once did I get a signed report from the tech checking off all the individual tests/checking. This is in the 6 years that I have had my BMW's serviced by the same dealer.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Former ZHP pilot

Seems like they performed an oil change only, so they SHOULD do the service.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
My receipts have never listed all the individual checks. Only lists the individual consummables. Only once did I get a signed report from the tech checking off all the individual tests/checking. This is in the 6 years that I have had my BMW's serviced by the same dealer.
Hmm, if they checked the brake pads and parking brake and all that, I wonder if they'd have on file whether they were within spec and what the measurements actually were. I'm guessing not if it's not recorded on my invoice.

Old 05-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Seems like they performed an oil change only, so they SHOULD do the service.
Isn't an annual oil change just oil and filter, though? I wouldn't think they'd have replaced the microfilter if it weren't the service. And if it were just annual oil change, they should not have reset the SI.

I'm not sure whether I'd prefer them to have done the oil service 5k miles early or to have just done the annual oil change. On the one hand, it gyps me out of another free oil change, but on the other hand, it's possible I can squeeze another maintenance service out of this (well, if they continue to do my 15k services at the year's mark instead of at the 15k mile mark).

Old 05-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Former ZHP pilot

Quote:
Isn't an annual oil change just oil and filter, though? I wouldn't think they'd have replaced the microfilter if it weren't the service. And if it were just annual oil change, they should not have reset the SI.

I'm not sure whether I'd prefer them to have done the oil service 5k miles early or to have just done the annual oil change. On the one hand, it gyps me out of another free oil change, but on the other hand, it's possible I can squeeze another maintenance service out of this (well, if they continue to do my 15k services at the year's mark instead of at the 15k mile mark).

I get my oil changed between services at my cost, but they dont reset the indicator.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
I get my oil changed between services at my cost, but they dont reset the indicator.
Do you have a service invoice handy? If so, would you mind checking to see what they wrote?

I looked at an old one where I requested an oil change that I paid for at 6500 miles. Invoice says:

customer request oil and filter change
change oil and filter
(service lights do not get re-set)
(only for oil service and inspection services)
oil filter insert
oil 5w30 synthetic

Hmm, looks like evidence is mounting that they at least did part of the oil service, if not the full oil service...

Old 05-20-2005, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:

You are correct about the difference about an Oil Change and Oil Service. The service includes the microfilter change.

I got my annual Oil Change done a 7,200 miles (SI not reset) and my Oil Service done at 12,500 miles per the SI. I would say you are really probably off (ahead of the game) by about 2,500-3,000 miles. The Inspection II normally happens in the low 50,000 miles. So it looks like you will be able get if free and save some bucks. I looks like I may be borderline to try to slide in under the 50,000 miles mark.

I am surprised that your SI was reset. Your invoice reflects the mileage correctly and if your dealer gets audited by BMWNA they will have some explanation to do.

Last edited by LDV330i; 05-20-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
You are correct about the difference about an Oil Change and Oil Service. The service includes the microfilter change.

I got my annual Oil Change done a 7,200 miles (SI not reset) and my Oil Service done at 12,500 miles per the SI. I would say you are really probably off (ahead of the game) by about 2,500-3,000 miles. The Inspection II normally happens in the low 50,000 miles. So it looks like you will be able get if free and save some bucks. I looks like I may be borderline to try to slide in under the 50,000 miles mark.

I am surprised that your SI was reset. Your invoice reflects the mileage correctly and if your dealer gets audited by BMWNA they will have some explanation to do.
It does seem strange...

Well, I don't mind losing out on a free oil change here and there if I can get a free Inspection II out of it. Even if I lose out on like 4 oil changes at $75 each = $300, isn't an Inspection II like $1000 or something ridiculous like that?