Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2005, 07:57 PM
swchang's Avatar
swchang swchang is offline
Family Man User
Location: Baltimore/DC area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,287
Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
15k mile service

At ~10,000 miles, I brought my car in for service on some maintenance issues I had. Without asking me, the dealership to which I went did the annual oil change (or so they say) and then reset the service indicator. Now that I'm almost at 15k miles, I guess I should bring it in so they can do the full oil service, which IIRC, is as follows:

BMW Engine Oil Service
Change oil and oil filter while engine is at operating temperature. We recommend BMW High Performance 5W-30 Synthetic oil, p/n 07 51 0 017 866
Reset service interval indicator.
Replace microfilter.
Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads using special tool. If replacement is necessary: Examine brake disc surfaces. Clean brake pad contact points in calipers. Grease wheel centering hubs. Check thickness of parking brake linings only when replacing rear pads.
Check parking brake actuation. Adjust if necessary.
Note: Do not reset Service Indicator when additional oil changes (between the normal intervals) are requested by the customer.


Does this sound right? Will they give me a hard time because they already reset the SI? Should they do another oil change for me, even though it's been only 5k miles since my last service?

TIA.
__________________


2004 BMW 330i 6MT Orient Blue Metallic Sand Leather Black Cube Trim ZHP ZCW
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 05-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Double Vanos's Avatar
Double Vanos Double Vanos is offline
Former ZHP pilot
Location: Austin, Tx
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 884
Mein Auto: 2011 135i M Sport
They are probably going to tell you that its to early for service. My dealer does that too but only if you have 2-3k miles to service on the odo.
__________________
2011 135i M-sport ,6 speed, coral red, HK and ipod.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-20-2005, 08:38 PM
swchang's Avatar
swchang swchang is offline
Family Man User
Location: Baltimore/DC area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,287
Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Vanos
They are probably going to tell you that its to early for service. My dealer does that too but only if you have 2-3k miles to service on the odo.
Well, I'm like 10,000 miles too early for service then, since they reset my indicator... What should I do?
__________________


2004 BMW 330i 6MT Orient Blue Metallic Sand Leather Black Cube Trim ZHP ZCW
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Ace Ace is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 341
Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
Well, I'm like 10,000 miles too early for service then, since they reset my indicator... What should I do?
what did they show on your invoice as the work done? do they show that the oil service was done, and the microfilter replaced? if not take it in, explain what happened and have them perform the remaining items other than the oil change....you could also check the microfilter to see if it's a new one...that may tell you if they did the full service or just an oil change...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-20-2005, 09:17 PM
swchang's Avatar
swchang swchang is offline
Family Man User
Location: Baltimore/DC area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,287
Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
what did they show on your invoice as the work done? do they show that the oil service was done, and the microfilter replaced? if not take it in, explain what happened and have them perform the remaining items other than the oil change....you could also check the microfilter to see if it's a new one...that may tell you if they did the full service or just an oil change...
Oh, good call. My service invoice says 0000250 BMW engine oil service including 36 WPM 0.06, oil filter insert, oil 5w30 synthetic, wind wash single bot, microfilter, 10333 oil ser, due wp perform oil ser. Doesn't mention checking brake pads, parking brake, etc., though... I wonder if they did that part.
__________________


2004 BMW 330i 6MT Orient Blue Metallic Sand Leather Black Cube Trim ZHP ZCW
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-20-2005, 09:35 PM
LDV330i LDV330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 6,107
Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
Oh, good call. My service invoice says 0000250 BMW engine oil service including 36 WPM 0.06, oil filter insert, oil 5w30 synthetic, wind wash single bot, microfilter, 10333 oil ser, due wp perform oil ser. Doesn't mention checking brake pads, parking brake, etc., though... I wonder if they did that part.
My receipts have never listed all the individual checks. Only lists the individual consummables. Only once did I get a signed report from the tech checking off all the individual tests/checking. This is in the 6 years that I have had my BMW's serviced by the same dealer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Double Vanos's Avatar
Double Vanos Double Vanos is offline
Former ZHP pilot
Location: Austin, Tx
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 884
Mein Auto: 2011 135i M Sport
Seems like they performed an oil change only, so they SHOULD do the service.
__________________
2011 135i M-sport ,6 speed, coral red, HK and ipod.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-20-2005, 09:37 PM
swchang's Avatar
swchang swchang is offline
Family Man User
Location: Baltimore/DC area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,287
Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
My receipts have never listed all the individual checks. Only lists the individual consummables. Only once did I get a signed report from the tech checking off all the individual tests/checking. This is in the 6 years that I have had my BMW's serviced by the same dealer.
Hmm, if they checked the brake pads and parking brake and all that, I wonder if they'd have on file whether they were within spec and what the measurements actually were. I'm guessing not if it's not recorded on my invoice.
__________________


2004 BMW 330i 6MT Orient Blue Metallic Sand Leather Black Cube Trim ZHP ZCW
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-20-2005, 09:40 PM
swchang's Avatar
swchang swchang is offline
Family Man User
Location: Baltimore/DC area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,287
Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Vanos
Seems like they performed an oil change only, so they SHOULD do the service.
Isn't an annual oil change just oil and filter, though? I wouldn't think they'd have replaced the microfilter if it weren't the service. And if it were just annual oil change, they should not have reset the SI.

I'm not sure whether I'd prefer them to have done the oil service 5k miles early or to have just done the annual oil change. On the one hand, it gyps me out of another free oil change, but on the other hand, it's possible I can squeeze another maintenance service out of this (well, if they continue to do my 15k services at the year's mark instead of at the 15k mile mark).
__________________


2004 BMW 330i 6MT Orient Blue Metallic Sand Leather Black Cube Trim ZHP ZCW
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Double Vanos's Avatar
Double Vanos Double Vanos is offline
Former ZHP pilot
Location: Austin, Tx
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 884
Mein Auto: 2011 135i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
Isn't an annual oil change just oil and filter, though? I wouldn't think they'd have replaced the microfilter if it weren't the service. And if it were just annual oil change, they should not have reset the SI.

I'm not sure whether I'd prefer them to have done the oil service 5k miles early or to have just done the annual oil change. On the one hand, it gyps me out of another free oil change, but on the other hand, it's possible I can squeeze another maintenance service out of this (well, if they continue to do my 15k services at the year's mark instead of at the 15k mile mark).

I get my oil changed between services at my cost, but they dont reset the indicator.
__________________
2011 135i M-sport ,6 speed, coral red, HK and ipod.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-20-2005, 09:49 PM
swchang's Avatar
swchang swchang is offline
Family Man User
Location: Baltimore/DC area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,287
Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Vanos
I get my oil changed between services at my cost, but they dont reset the indicator.
Do you have a service invoice handy? If so, would you mind checking to see what they wrote?

I looked at an old one where I requested an oil change that I paid for at 6500 miles. Invoice says:

customer request oil and filter change
change oil and filter
(service lights do not get re-set)
(only for oil service and inspection services)
oil filter insert
oil 5w30 synthetic

Hmm, looks like evidence is mounting that they at least did part of the oil service, if not the full oil service...
__________________


2004 BMW 330i 6MT Orient Blue Metallic Sand Leather Black Cube Trim ZHP ZCW
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-20-2005, 10:00 PM
LDV330i LDV330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 6,107
Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
Isn't an annual oil change just oil and filter, though? I wouldn't think they'd have replaced the microfilter if it weren't the service. And if it were just annual oil change, they should not have reset the SI.

I'm not sure whether I'd prefer them to have done the oil service 5k miles early or to have just done the annual oil change. On the one hand, it gyps me out of another free oil change, but on the other hand, it's possible I can squeeze another maintenance service out of this (well, if they continue to do my 15k services at the year's mark instead of at the 15k mile mark).
You are correct about the difference about an Oil Change and Oil Service. The service includes the microfilter change.

I got my annual Oil Change done a 7,200 miles (SI not reset) and my Oil Service done at 12,500 miles per the SI. I would say you are really probably off (ahead of the game) by about 2,500-3,000 miles. The Inspection II normally happens in the low 50,000 miles. So it looks like you will be able get if free and save some bucks. I looks like I may be borderline to try to slide in under the 50,000 miles mark.

I am surprised that your SI was reset. Your invoice reflects the mileage correctly and if your dealer gets audited by BMWNA they will have some explanation to do.
__________________

Last edited by LDV330i; 05-20-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-20-2005, 10:06 PM
swchang's Avatar
swchang swchang is offline
Family Man User
Location: Baltimore/DC area
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,287
Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
You are correct about the difference about an Oil Change and Oil Service. The service includes the microfilter change.

I got my annual Oil Change done a 7,200 miles (SI not reset) and my Oil Service done at 12,500 miles per the SI. I would say you are really probably off (ahead of the game) by about 2,500-3,000 miles. The Inspection II normally happens in the low 50,000 miles. So it looks like you will be able get if free and save some bucks. I looks like I may be borderline to try to slide in under the 50,000 miles mark.

I am surprised that your SI was reset. Your invoice reflects the mileage correctly and if your dealer gets audited by BMWNA they will have some explanation to do.
It does seem strange...

Well, I don't mind losing out on a free oil change here and there if I can get a free Inspection II out of it. Even if I lose out on like 4 oil changes at $75 each = $300, isn't an Inspection II like $1000 or something ridiculous like that?
__________________


2004 BMW 330i 6MT Orient Blue Metallic Sand Leather Black Cube Trim ZHP ZCW
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VOB BMW of Maryland has the worst service cynicalwry Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems 68 09-29-2010 01:25 AM
1200 mile service. Is it ready to go? Lori M Series 36 02-28-2004 09:14 PM
to do 60K mile service on '99 328i or not to? and some other maintenance questions neesheeth General BMW 10 02-20-2004 12:02 PM
when should i get my oil changed? ///M3 Wes M Series 13 04-28-2003 09:59 PM
1200 mile service today! Imola Ed M Series 9 05-25-2002 05:46 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms