Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

Old 05-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmr
Stuka, say it ain't so. YOU bought an E36 M3 slushie?
97 M3 slushie with 8 months ownership.

98 M3 5 speed from 98 to 2001

02 M3 SMG from 2002 to 2003

03 Turbo 6 speed now

88 325is 5 speed now

Like I said, I was stupid enough to listen to believe that stick would be a ****** to drive in traffic. I wished that I had friends who intervened on my behalf and pervented me from my 8 months mistake. I took a bath on the resale, because dealers hate dealing on slushie M3's, period, end of story.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: M6, X6M, Boxster S
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmr
Stuka, say it ain't so. YOU bought an E36 M3 slushie?
I was gonna say.......Hey we all make mistakes. I bought a 911 with a tip, what a mistake that was. I also got killed on resale.

Live and learn,

Max
Old 05-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
To be as fair as possible... I started another more specific poll... the way Max would like it.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99313

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Old 05-26-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak!
To be as fair as possible... I started another more specific poll... the way Max would like it.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99313
First off, if anyone is interested in how this poll came to be, and the history and discussion behind this poll, check out the Bimmerfest M6 site for all of the fun and excitement!?

Ah yes, I am now completed, he he I am sort of surprised that we would even bother with this. Clearly this poll will not achieve anything except that we're all having a little fun doing it. Remember how this started. I was intrigued by several posts wanting a manual in the M6 here in the U.S. and my stance was that I would rather have an automatic offered in the new M6 over a manual offering or at least in addition to it. My thinking was that a steptronic actually befits this luxury GT cruiser better than a manual. I also went on to say that I felt that there is a silent majority (not represented on this site, by definition) that might want it as well. This poll, while fun, does not, and can not reach the pool of potential buyers that I am referring to. I think most of us can understand that.

When this poll is completed it will be very much in favor of a manual or SMG. Let's face it, this is a group of BMW lovers, old timers, traditionists, etc. who are steeped in the BMW lore and traditions, and they clearly see no need for a Step in the New M6.

So, Speed, thanks for trying. If you feel the (predictable) results of this poll support the position that a Steptronic is absolutely not wanted, by ALL potential M6 buyers, as an optional transmission offering on the new M6, more power to ya my friend.

Max
Old 06-03-2005, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Well look at the Z8. The Z8 was on back order for years until they discontinued it and brought in the Alpina version. The Alpina was the automatic and didnt sell nearly as well as the original manual tranny of the z8. And believe it or not the M6 is more of a performance car than the z8 was. So the buyers will also be looking for the manual tranny on the M6. Also the M6 is a high reving V10. With an automatic even on steptronic mode, the driver wont be able to reach the High Rpms that the car was meant to excell in.

Last edited by CenterBmw; 06-03-2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Computer? Say what...

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTimeOff
Philippek,

With all due respect, I think you're wrong, very wrong. The vocal minority that frequents these boards will support your view. I think there is a wide majority of badge buyers etc. that don't care about these car aficionado sites and could care less about posting on them that would buy an M6 in an auto format and won't even look at the car because of the manual transmission. How many people who currently own an AMG Mercedes would buy them if the only option was a 6 speed? I think you would see a lot less buyers in that market. I bet Mercedes analyzed the demographic pretty seriously when they began to expand the AMG offerings and it is no mistake that auto transmissions are offered.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer that BMW is keeping the production relatively small but they could blow out the catagory if they wanted to by offering an auto. They would clean Benz's (AMG) clock IMHO.
Thank God BMW hasn't sold out to "badge buyers" when it comes to the M line. There is nothing worse than an 80yr geezer in a performance car that never breaks the speed limit. What's the point? BMW can sell plenty of cars to all the "badge buyers" who aren't interested in performance via the 3,5,6,7 series, no need to degrade the pool of buyers who buy M cars. This is where principle comes into play...
Old 06-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterBmw
Well look at the Z8. The Z8 was on back order for years until they discontinued it and brought in the Alpina version. The Alpina was the automatic and didnt sell nearly as well as the original manual tranny of the z8. And believe it or not the M6 is more of a performance car than the z8 was. So the buyers will also be looking for the manual tranny on the M6. Also the M6 is a high reving V10. With an automatic even on steptronic mode, the driver wont be able to reach the High Rpms that the car was meant to excell in.
I wish I would have thought of this point during the meat of this discussion. The Alpina was a disaster here in the states. No M5 motor... and an Auto. I know dealers who had them sitting around for years. Perfect example.

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Old 06-19-2005, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 325i
Exclamation

i have a great idea!

make the ///M cars have a manual as base.. and SMG and Steptronic as options like all the other bimmers.

then EVERYONE IS HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009 BMW 328i Coupe, Space Gray, Black Leather, Gray Poplar Wood Trim, Sport Package, Premium Package, 6 Speed Steptronic, Xenons, Ipod USB, Sirius

2005 BMW 325i, Electric Red, Sand Leather, M Lip Spoiler, M-Tech Aero Kit, Aux Audio In, Myrtle Wood Trim, Premium Package, 5 Speed Steptronic, Xenon Lights, Harmon Kardon Sound System, PDC, OEM Alarm
Old 06-21-2005, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTimeOff
Let's take a moment and look at the fine class of automobiles that the M6 is running in.

Continental GT - Automatic only
Austin Martin DB9 - Touchtronic 2 or Manual 6 speed
Mercedes CL55 - Automatic or "finger manual"
Ferrari Scaglietti 612 - F1 style only
The highest-revving of that quartet has an automated manual 'box, not an auto in the traditional sense. None of the others goes byeond 7,000, and the M5 goes higher than all of them. The problem is rpm - if you can find a good 'ol slushbox able to take 8,250+ rpm with enough gears and shift speed to cope with the M5's powerband, then please let BMW know and they might make you one.
Quote:
Damn the manual....bring on the automatic!!!!
If you don't mind capping the crank speed at around 7,000 and don't mind less than 400 bhp, sure
Old 06-21-2005, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterBmw
Also the M6 is a high reving V10. With an automatic even on steptronic mode, the driver wont be able to reach the High Rpms that the car was meant to excell in.
Indeed. The limiting factor would be the gearbox innards so you'd have to have your 8,500 rpm-capable engine limited to 7.something. I can't actually think of any automatic which revs that high; the high-test Honda VTECs aren't available with auto; only the lower-tune RX-8 has an auto option. The only ones I can think of which compare are automatic Porsche 911s (997); but even they don't come close to the M5's max crank speed, topping out over 1,000 rpm lower.

Of older performance automatics with revvy engines, the NSX's automatic (shudder) had a detuned engine; the 456GTA similarly, and the Merc 190 Cosworth featured a lower redline when a four-speed slushie was specified. So the odds of an automatc M5/6 will shorten only when BMW switches to forced induction and a good ole single TB, or ZF et al figure it out. Whichever comes first...
Old 06-21-2005, 05:41 PM
.oo=||=oo.

Mein Auto: Bimmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_thomas
... only the lower-tune RX-8 has an auto option...
I understand the RX-8 slushie has a detuned engine losing some 40 hp or so, IIRC.

Edit: , sorry, redundant post. You did say "lower-tune".

Last edited by hmr; 06-21-2005 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmr
I understand the RX-8 slushie has a detuned engine losing some 40 hp or so, IIRC.
Pay more for less HP, what a bargain.

Are people really that uncoordinated to perform a simple task of driving manual gearbox equipped cars?

I can name over 10 people I know who drive in LA traffic in stick shift cars, it is way nicer to drive them in traffic than auto, because YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE YOUR DAMN FOOT ON THE BRAKES THE ENTIRE F'ING TIME.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
"Pay more for less HP, what a bargain."

the alpina i believe was about 136k vs. the Z8's 128k price tag. Also the alpina had a slushy with something like 386 hp. more money for less hp. what ever.

Last edited by CenterBmw; 06-21-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci,04 SL500,Touareg,
I was lucky enough to be in the Paddock Club and the private Williams-BMW suite at the Canadian Gran Prix recently. I had conversations with Mark Webber,Hans Stuck, and Mario Thiessen.

(1) None of them had any enthusiasm for the standard shift.

(2) Dr Thiessen did not seem to be too sure about a manual being ultimately available although he is purely on the F1 side.

(3) Mark Webber said that the car is staggeringly fast and very much likes the SMG. He did day it was a bit clunky in traffic at low speeds, but was clearly very enthusiastic about SMG. He also said that you have to be very careful with it becase the car is going faster than you think at times ,and you have to be alert. He has an M5 on order.

(4) Hans Stuck was one of the greatest BMW sports car drivers ever in his day, and had extensively driven the M6 on the Nordschleife.He felt that he could have won Le Mans in this car had it been available ten years ago. He loves the M6.

Its interesting that three people who are in the know and who could doubtlessly drive rings around somebody of my competent but not competitive ability were so clearly behind the SMG option.
It changed my opinion. I am going SMG.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:26 AM

"None of them had any enthusiasm for the standard shift."

"Dr Thiessen did not seem to be too sure about a manual being ultimately available although he is purely on the F1 side."

Being the starter of this train wreck, I would like to say that out of the three, SMG, Auto, and Manual, I would like SMG most in the M6. I'll be very very happy with it I'm sure. This thread was originally started based on my belief that there would be a large market for an auto in the M6. I still think that is true, for better or worse.

Based on lots of things including the quotes above, an auto is as likely to be offered in future M products as a manual, which is to say, not very likely. If this iteration of the M6 is ultimately available with a manual here in the States I think it will be the last. So rowers and heel toers get 'em while you can, if you can....The sky is darkening and soon the dinosaur will be dead!

Last edited by MaxTimeOff; 06-24-2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: honda accord
forgive me but was reading your post on this matter but also consider this is intended to be a sports car and not a gt cruiser.when people go and a an m series car would be the same as people going to get a nsx or rx-7 and suprai not the 840.
but you say you want an m6 but prefer an auto wher ethis was intended to be a sports car not a luxury car and for you to me the smg sounds perfect.and yes the american market is overwhelmed with auto trannys.
now with a realalistic standpoint if bmw spends thousands of dollars on r&d for there m cars to appeal to the driver that wants speed go for a manual which from my understanding an smg is essintully a clutchless manual with an automatic mode and i think this is smart on bmw's part to appeal to all drivers.so to sum it up in liamends terms an m6 is a more powerful 645 with smg just like an m3 is a supped up version of a 330 so to me this thread is pointless as all is selp explantory.

so if anyone wants a m6 with auto and want to cruise get a 645 but if you want the car for power get a manual(if avilable) m6 where the smg seems to appeal to both(with minor adjustments from the driver)

but with me personally i prefer a manual because i am more in control of the car and like the sense of shifting gears constanly and always feel like i am missing somthing driveing in my gf's auto.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:29 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
I had to respond after all the thread reading! These Guys are all on point! I dirve a 645Cic SMG with HUD and I beleive it is the best Clucth-less Manual I have ever driven.

Next....

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 07-12-2005, 01:00 PM
.oo=||=oo.

Mein Auto: Bimmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_thomas
... I can't actually think of any automatic which revs that high...
Case in point:

Alpina B5, ~6500 redline, slushbox
M5, >8K redline, SMG

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104452

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b5m5.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	53692