Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-24-2005, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Bluetooth setup and functionality on the 2005 E46

This past weekend I bought a Motorola RAZR V3 for the sole reason that it is on BMW’s list of cell phones that work with their Bluetooth hands-free system on my 2005 330Ci w/BMW assist, no Navigation System).

I figured I’d try to put this info into one post to make it easier for those who came here searching for it like I did.

The V3 synced painlessly with the car.

I turned the ignition to position 2 (ignition on, car not started), then I followed the instructions for my phone to setup a Bluetooth connection. (pg 23 in the V3’s manual).

I activated the Bluetooth functionality on the phone by turning the Bluetooth power on in the phone’s setup menu. (on the V3: Settings> Connection> Bluetooth Link> Setup> Power > On – Bluetooth will be on whenever the phone is on)

Next, I used the phone’s setup menu to tell the phone to look for Bluetooth devices. (on the V3: Settings> Connection> Bluetooth Link> Handsfree > [Look For Devices]

The phone found the car within seconds. The phone then requested that I enter the Bluetooth passcode. I entered the passcode found on the Bluetooth Passkey card that came in the owner’s manual pack with my car (the 4 digit code labeled PK). I doubt the code is different on other cars since my 4 digit PK code is 5678.

Once the code was entered, the address book transferred to my car within 5- 10 minutes. The radio display said “downloading phonebook” during the initial address book load.

Once the phonebook loaded, the phone synced with the car whenever I turned the car on.

If you make changes to your phone’s phonebook, the changes will automatically be sent to your car’s Bluetooth system. However, patience is required!

If you check your car’s phonebook for changes in the first few minutes after turning on the car, you won’t see them. Check it again a few minutes later and they should be there without you having to do anything. I’m not sure how long it takes, but it will happen.

When I first tested this, I checked the address book on the car a few minutes after I started the car. The change was not present. When I checked again 20 minutes later, the changes were present in the car’s address book. It took somewhere between 2 and 20 minutes to get the phone’s address book changes to the car.

You do not have to do anything other than turning the car on to sync the phone to the Bluetooth system after the initial pairing as long as you have the phone’s Bluetooth functionality to be always on.

I would assume that any phone on BMW’s list of phones that work with their Bluetooth system will function the same way.

Making and receiving calls works great. There are some drawbacks, but given the convenience of not having to fumble for the phone to make or receive calls, it is the best thing since sliced bread! Granted tho, I am not a heavy user of the phone while in the car.

I think the best thing about it is the fact that when you receive a call, the stereo cuts out and the phone rings on the car’s speakers (however it is loud if you have the volume turned up!).

I always missed calls while in the car when I have the stereo turned up (and it’s always turned up with the Harmon Kardon system!). Now, there is no way to miss them. The major drawback to this is that there is no way to ignore or silence calls without hitting the ignore or silence button on the phone. So if you don’t want to talk to the person calling, you’ll have to let the phone ring thru to voicemail.

The call quality is decent. However, people say I sound distant. They can tell I am on a speakerphone, but it’s not bad. The sound of the person on the other end is very clear thru the car’s speakers. You’ll have to turn up the volume if you are traveling at highway speeds with the window down. I think the mic is in the rear view mirror, but I am not sure where it is.

I did get one report that I was cutting out, but I think that was reception on the phone, not Bluetooth. I keep the phone in my pocket while driving and using the Bluetooth system to make or take calls. It’s probably not the best spot for the phone when I am in an area with weak cell reception. You cannot see your signal strength on the radio display, so it is impossible to tell how strong the signal is while the phone in your pocket.

When the person on the other end hangs up or you hit the talk button on the steering wheel, the stereo will return to it’s previous programming.

The major disadvantage when placing a call via the Bluetooth system is searching thru the car’s phonebook (obviously you can’t call a number that is not in your car’s phonebook). There is no way to search for an entry by entering the first letter or two of the name to advance you thru the car’s phonebook. So if you have many people in your phonebook, you could be holding the up/down scroll button for a while.

Another drawback is the radio display (I don’t have the NAV option). Only the 1st 10 characters of the name are displayed on the radio display when scrolling thru the phonebook. If you stop scrolling for a few seconds the number will be displayed instead of the name.

If you have a phone with multiple numbers under one name, the icon for home, mobile, pager or work will not be displayed. You will see the same name several times with different phone numbers with no way know which one is the home, mobile, pager, work, etc number.

On Motorola phones, each number for each person is a separate phonebook entry, but only the 1st 10 characters will display. Often the description (Home, Mobile, etc) for the number is beyond the 10th character, so you end up with several numbers for the same name on the radio display.

To help determine which phone number it is for those with multiple numbers for each person in my phone book, I decided to change the name to include a capital H, M, P or W in the 10th character position for each name that has multiple numbers. Now for those names with multiple numbers in my phnebook, the 1st nine characters of the name appear with a Capital letter in the last position telling me if it is a Home, Mobile, Pager or Work number. It may look weird in the phone’s phonebook display, but it ids the type of number easily in that display as well.

For phones that hold multiple numbers under one name, you could make separate entries for each number for each contact and use this naming convention.
Ads by Google
Old 05-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535 iX
Thanks for the detailed report. I just got the same phone this weekend for the same reason not to mention TMobile service sucks here. Now have to wait until my bluetooth module comes in.

BTW Are you sure you can not enable the voice activated dialing if you select the phone on the wheel and then hit the right side button on the outside of the phone?
E46 - '04 325Ci-Dinan3 (sold) - Oxford Green with a lot of AC Schnitzer too.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI325
Thanks for the detailed report. I just got the same phone this weekend for the same reason not to mention TMobile service sucks here. Now have to wait until my bluetooth module comes in.

BTW Are you sure you can not enable the voice activated dialing if you select the phone on the wheel and then hit the right side button on the outside of the phone?
I got my V3 via Cingular... So far I have not noticed any signal differences from my old Sprint Nokia phone. It's hard to tell tho with the phone in my pocket instead of my hand when I make a call...

Yes, you can use the phone's voice activation feature with the BMW bluetooth, but you have to handle the phone to do it, so it is not "hands free" when you do it that way.

When I get in the car, my phone is in my pocket, so I would have to dig the phone out of my pocket to make a call that way. It's just as easy to scroll thru the phonebook with the steering wheel controls.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
Thanks, the phone part above is excellent! I was unsure if I had tried the right settings, now I have it. I was unable to get my phone (v551) to pair in Europe. I wasn't sure if it was me, or the BT was not setup during Euro Delivery.

I should have my car in the next week, and have bookmarked your instructions!

M3 05 Imola/Black, ZCP, ZPP, SMG, Xenon, Nav, Heated, Lumbar, HK -- Euro Delivery Pictures
Old 05-25-2005, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 20014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CI325
Voice activated dialing is not part of the Bluetooth/Assist module that comes factory installed in the 2005's. That is a feature that I love about my set up. You can do hands free dialing even when a number is not listed in your phone directory.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:25 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by weave

This past weekend I bought a Motorola RAZR V3 for the sole reason that it is on BMW’s list of cell phones that work with their Bluetooth hands-free system on my 2005 330Ci w/BMW assist, no Navigation System).

I figured I’d try to put this info into one post to make it easier for those who came here searching for it like I did.
Thanks for the report...

Can you please post the production date of your car?
Old 05-25-2005, 12:26 PM

Technic, did you confirm anything on the voice activation for later production 05 e46s. Also, someone else stated non-nav 05 e46s have voice activation, do you know if there is any truth to that? Thanks!

M3 05 Imola/Black, ZCP, ZPP, SMG, Xenon, Nav, Heated, Lumbar, HK -- Euro Delivery Pictures
Old 05-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r
Technic, did you confirm anything on the voice activation for later production 05 e46s. Also, someone else stated non-nav 05 e46s have voice activation, do you know if there is any truth to that? Thanks!
Hi... I only have found two members that had their TCU replaced with a new version manufactured 01/05, one has already played around with the its new SES functionality (it uses a male intead of a female voice for prompts like the curent SES accessory module according to this member). So I am trying to verify if this TCU manufacturing date has any relationship with the vehicle production date. Maybe this is a running change for vehicles produced from 01/05, could be later than that date or not integrated at all.

I do not know the part number of this new TCU, but it is not the 84-11-6-946-993 that is the current one. This one ends in -119 (I do not know the whole number) and was manufactured in 01/05.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:08 PM

FWIW: I had heard there would be a change to the BT in March builds (mine's a Feb build so it stuck in my head), the noted improvement was to be quite a bit faster phonebook downloads. That's the only thing I had heard about it, but perhaps they are connected?

Old 05-25-2005, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
Voice activated dialing is not part of the Bluetooth/Assist module that comes factory installed in the 2005's. That is a feature that I love about my set up. You can do hands free dialing even when a number is not listed in your phone directory.
I assume you are talking about a aftermarket setup. What do you have?

A couple of people at work have expressed interest in getting an aftermarket bluetooth hands free system for their cars.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Thanks for the report...

Can you please post the production date of your car?
Final Assembly point: Regensburg, Germany
Production Date:10/2004
Old 05-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Final Assembly point: Regensburg, Germany
Production Date:10/2004
Thanks...
Old 05-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
I assume you are talking about a aftermarket setup. What do you have?

A couple of people at work have expressed interest in getting an aftermarket bluetooth hands free system for their cars.
There is an OEM accessory Bluetooth ULF module that includes the SES voice activation.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330ci
Quote:

My 330ci has a build date of 06/06/05, and I can use the in-car voice activated dialing with my Motorola e815 phone.

-Stan
Old 07-30-2005, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Someone posted this on E46 fanatics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiglanin
I don't know about everyone else, but my 2005 E46 and my friend's 2005 E46 both came with Bluetooth and Voice Activation but NO MANUALS.

Voice activation is started by pressing and holding the "Talk" button on the steering wheel. Hold it until you hear a "BEEP" - the stereo will mute if it was on. Note this is distinct from pressing and releasing the Talk button, which will dial the currently selected entry in the phone book (often the FIRST entry). As a precaution, you might make that entry voice mail or something (put a * in front to make it top on your alpha list). That way you don't accidentally call your ex or a good friend at 3AM!

Continuing: Once the system is activated (you hear the BEEP), just say, "HELP" and the system will give you the commands it understands.

You program a NAME using this proicedure:
  • Press-hold Talk Button - system confirms with a BEEP.
    Say, "SAVE NAME"
    System tells you to speak the name.
    Say the name you want to save
    System tells you to repeat the name.
    Again say the name you want to save.
    System tells you to say the number
    BEGIN saying the number - it seems to handle up to 10 numbers but you can pause any time.
    The system repeats back your numbers
    Continue until done
    When complete, say, "SAVE"
    System confirms by saying NAME SAVED

You dial using a similar procedure:
  • Press-hold the Talk button
    System responds with a BEEP
    Say, "DIAL NAME"
    System prompts you to say the name
    Say the name you've already saved
    System responds, "Do you want to dial ?"
    Say, YES"
    Phone then dial the number and you're on the call

I have NO IDEA why I got no manual for this!
I tried this in my car (no NAV) with a production date of 10/2004 and it does not work.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:10 AM

I’ve been meaning to update this post.

I found the V3 useless as a phone. OK camera, nothing to write home about there. Worst phone I’ve ever owned.

Very poor reception. It was useless for phone calls.

It would drop calls constantly if I could even connect. If I had less than 3 bars on the reception meter, the phone was useless.

Also, I found it cumbersome to try to TXT message with it.

The Bluetooth worked, but was useless due to the poor reception of the phone.

The point of the handsfree is so I don’t have to dig the phone out of my pocket to make or receive a call. With the V3, I had to take the phone out of my pocket if I wanted any hope of using the phone while in the car.

I wish the cell phone makers would dump the crappy cameras and put decent antennas in the phones.

After a month, I gave up on the V3 and went to Ebay to find a used Sony Ericsson T637
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=496

The T637 works much better as a phone. You can actually place and receive phone calls! The camera is no comparison to the V3, but I need a phone, not a camera.

The Bluetooth works much better with the T637 as well.

When I used the BMW Bluetooth on the V3, people complained about an “echo”. I had to shout for them to hear me and I could barely understand them.

With the T637, people on the other end said it sounds fine. They can tell I am on a speakerphone, but they have no trouble understanding what I am saying. I can talk in a normal tone. I can hear the person on the other end fine.

My biggest complaint is finding the number of the person you want to call in the car’s phonebook.

I wish the phone just transferred the numbers in the SIM and not the ones in the phones memory (or had an option to select which numbers to send to the car). The V3 works the same way as the T637.

I have a lot of numbers in my phone that I keep in the phone in case I need them, but I rarely use them (office numers, pager, home, etc). If I could put the numbers I call most on the SIM and only those numbers transferred to the car,that would make it easier to find my most called numbers (or if I could select which numbers transfer and which don’t transfer).

I have over 150 numbers in my phone. Calling someone from the car whose name begins with M means a long scroll thru the names to get to the correct number.

Do all ’05 E46s have voice activation? Or is it a feature of NAV? (I don’t have NAV)

If I have voice activation, that would solve my problem. I’d put the dozen or so most called numbers in the voice activation.

One major drawback to the BMW Bluetooth system is that the incoming caller’s name displays on the car’s stereo if it is in your phonebook for all in the car to see. There is no way to turn this off.

So… If you have a girlfriend in the car and another girl calls, she can see who is calling. Not good…

And there is no way to ignore phone calls without digging the phone out of your pocket and hitting the silence or ignore button.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 Convertible
Here's the scoop on Bluetooth/Assist TCUs that come in 2005 MY E46 cars with assist. Their have been a few running changes

84 11 6 946 993 - No voice command, phased out in 2/05
84 10 6 964 114 - Built-in voice command for phone, SW version: 25 HW version: 42, phased in 3/05, phased out 5/05
84 10 6 965 056 - Built-in voice command for phone, SW version: 27 HW version: 42, phased in 6/05

To confirm if you have a voice-command enabled module, hold down the call button (below the r/t button on the wheel) for 3 seconds. If you hear a beep, say HELP and you will hear a list of commands.

Any of these TCUs are a simple, plug/play/recode into E46 cars with Assist that were produced from 3/04 onward. I retrofitted the 114 module in my 2004 M3 convertible (I'm dissapointed in sound quality, but that's another post).

Regarding phonebook transfers, I have not notice much of a delay at all (maybe 5-10 seconds) so perhaps that is something that was addressed in the 114 module. I'm pairing with a Treo 650.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Le plaisir de conduire

Send a message via AIM to JAWJr
Mein Auto: All Manuals
Quote:
So… If you have a girlfriend in the car and another girl calls, she can see who is calling. Not good…
Hmm, that could be a problem...

I've been meaning to get the module installed in my car (9/04 prod.). Anyone know what the latest price of the complete retrofit is incl. labour for the newest module version?

~Jon

1991 318is | BrilliantRot / Natur ette' | Manual | Fogs | Sunroof

2009 135i Cp | Alpine White / Black Plastic Cow | ZSP | ZPS SOLD

2007 Z4 R 3.0i | Silber Grau / Dream Red | ZSP | 711 | 522 | 494 SOLD

2007 335i Cp | A61 / LCSW | ZPP | ZSP | 322 | 4AS | 609 | 655 SOLD

2005 DINAN 330Ci | Silber Grau / Alacantara | ZHP | ED 12.10.04 SOLD

Old 09-29-2005, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWJr
Hmm, that could be a problem...

I've been meaning to get the module installed in my car (9/04 prod.). Anyone know what the latest price of the complete retrofit is incl. labour for the newest module version?

~Jon

Ever get an answer to this question? I have the same build date on mine.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 316I
I have a 2000 316i. Could it be possible to add this Bluetooth ULF module in this car?
I would like to have that in it.

And how tough would it be? Has someone in here tried it yet?

Greg
Old 09-29-2005, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglacle
I have a 2000 316i. Could it be possible to add this Bluetooth ULF module in this car?
I would like to have that in it.

And how tough would it be? Has someone in here tried it yet?

Greg
Is your car prewired for a phone? The modules are plug-n-play and connect to existing wiring.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:40 PM

nope. Its not pre-wired for phone.

What is needed in order to make it work? Do you have Module number or a diagram.
BTW I just ordered the service manual, so I would be getting diagrams perhaps.

Let me know..

Greg Lacle
Old 09-29-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
nope. Its not pre-wired for phone.

What is needed in order to make it work? Do you have Module number or a diagram.
BTW I just ordered the service manual, so I would be getting diagrams perhaps.

Let me know..

Greg Lacle
Wiring for a phone does not appear to be a simple thing. Also, do you have multifunction steering wheel (the one that controls your radio, etc.)? You need to have that to be able to answer the phone. You also probably need to understand that this is not a cheap mod. The module alone is close to $500. The dealers charge 3 hours to install it. Although my car was prewired it took me close to 3 hours to install the BT kit. When you add the cost of rewiring your car you are probably better off considering an aftermarket BT kit.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
Wiring for a phone does not appear to be a simple thing. Also, do you have multifunction steering wheel (the one that controls your radio, etc.)? You need to have that to be able to answer the phone. You also probably need to understand that this is not a cheap mod. The module alone is close to $500. The dealers charge 3 hours to install it. Although my car was prewired it took me close to 3 hours to install the BT kit. When you add the cost of rewiring your car you are probably better off considering an aftermarket BT kit.
I do not have the Multi-function steering wheel, but I am planning in buying one. I already bought the 2004 business CD player and next is the multi-function steering wheel, since I want it to also control the IPOD.
So I'm taking the long road to do this. I am pretty technical and I have done wiring and stuff like that before. So I don't mind putting hours into my car. However I am sure there's stuff that the dealer will have to install and I'm willing to take the extra mile.

Can you give me more advice? you seem wellrounded and know what you're talking about.
Please Preach on brother.

thanks

Greg Lacle
Old 09-30-2005, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Can you give me more advice? you seem wellrounded and know what you're talking about.
Please Preach on brother.

thanks

Greg Lacle
My observations are based on doing my BT install and helping 2 friends do theirs. I am not sure how involved wiring the car would be but wires need to be run to the dashboard (for interfacing with the MIDI/Radio) and to your trunk where your TCU module would be located. Since all US market cars come prewired for cell phones additional info may have to come from people in other markets. I also understand that the US wiring varies from European market. Here in the States there is only a wireless connection to your car. In Europe you get as standard a snap-in box for your console where you create a hardwire connection to the car. While in the box the phone gets recharged and also connected to the cell antenna mounted in the rear bumper.