Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 02-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Tree Stalker

Mein Auto: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe
Question Where to Stay in Vienna

Does Vienna have a "touristy" area? If so, what is it called? What sites are located nearby? Thanks.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to BillKach
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert
The city center has a great shopping district with walking streets. Also within walking distance are several well respected museums. I would strongly advise NOT to drive your new car in the city center; it is extremely congested and parking is very hard to find. The Marriott and Meridien hotels are nearby.
2004 545i TiAg/Black/Anthracite, Step, SP (ED 11/03, sold 4/05)
2001 330Cic Steel Blue/Black, retired
1998 Z3 2.8 Montreal Blue/Black, retired
Old 02-09-2005, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Vienna hotel

Just outside the ring that defines the tourist area is Das Triest, a new hotel with a good restaurant and ultra-modern rooms in an old building--actually a stagecoach stop on the old post road south toward Trieste. Good broadband in every room. But we didn't have a car, so I don't know about parking.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:16 AM
Tree Stalker

Thanks, we're not into shopping so much, or anything modern. We want to walk around and see older buildings and things like St. Stephens Cathedral, the Schoenbrunn Palace, the Opera House. Are these close together and if so, what is the name of that part of the city?
Old 02-09-2005, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
We had great stay at the Le Meridien in Vienna. We booked via Priceline for $110US per night. Check out http://www.biddingfortravel.com to find great Priceline deals.

That glare you see is from the lights at the BMW Delivery Center in Munich
Old 02-09-2005, 05:36 PM
In Driving Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by postoak
Thanks, we're not into shopping so much, or anything modern. We want to walk around and see older buildings and things like St. Stephens Cathedral, the Schoenbrunn Palace, the Opera House. Are these close together and if so, what is the name of that part of the city?
St. Stephens and the Opera House are all relatively close in the center of the city. Schoenbrunn Palace is going to require a subway ride to the west. The subway system is pretty easy to use. I stayed at the Suitehotel a few stops outside of the city center (but close to the Prater Park) and rode the subway. It's straight shot from the Suitehotel to the city center, with one transfer to get to Schoenbrunn Palace, if I recall correctly.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 02-10-2005, 06:08 AM
Tree Stalker

Is this touristy area what they refer to as the "Innerstadt"?
Old 02-10-2005, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330ia
Radisson SAS Palais Hotel Vienna.

Great hotel with secured parking.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Marriott near St. Stephens.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i
Thumbs up

I second the Marriott in Vienna. My family stayed there for 3 days last summer. A great location for walking in the city center and a secure parking lot beneath the hotel!
Old 02-11-2005, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i
Le Meridian

It had a great location, just across the ring from the State Opera House and directly on the subway and trolley lines. Easy walk to St Stephan's Cathedral. Shloss Schoenbrunn is not in the city center, but is an easy subway ride away. It was the summer residence. We dropped off our car the first day and found Vienna an easy city to get around without it. Parking is hard to find and pricey.

The hotel just opened in November 2003 and is completely modern. Plasma tv in every room, spa shower, free minibar, extremely comfortable bed. We got a great price via Priceline.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Tree Stalker

Question

We won't be needing parking. Can anyone tell me anything about any of these hotels?

1) Konig von Ungarn

2) Ananas

3) Kaiserin Elisabeth

4) Pension Pertaschy

5) Hotelpension Arenberg

6) Drei Kronen

7) Hotel Admiral
Old 02-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Quote:

1) Konig von Ungarn
I only checked this first one through tripadvisor.com, but the rest are probably online as well.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...rn-Vienna.html

Sounds like a nice place.

My experience is to read as many of these online reviews as possible.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:54 PM
Tree Stalker

Funny you should mention doing that. I'm multitasking and I am researching those hotels at tripadvisor.com right now. Nothing like personal experience from fellow festers though.

Later Edit: This site is great and I'm adding it to my Favorites:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

I've been in there before but never really paid attention to the fact that they don't sell accomodation -- just review it.

Last edited by postoak; 02-17-2005 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 330cic
The Sacher Hotel (upscale) is right across from the opera house and adjacent to the huge pedestrian area. Great location. You can walk everywhere from there. The Sacher in Salzburg had a nicer piano bar but you can't beat the location of the one in vienna.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: '98 323is/'70 TR6 PI
We stayed last year in the Hotel Europa. It was right in what you would consider the touristy area, right next to the Stephansplatz. It was a nice typical European hotel, newly rennovated inside with smaller rooms, but very clean and modern. We enjoyed it very much.

Last edited by Jim H; 02-18-2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325iT - Sienna Rot
Quote:
We won't be needing parking. Can anyone tell me anything about any of these hotels?
4) Pension Pertaschy
I can't tell you about the Pertschy but I have usually stay at one of the sister properties called Pension Aviano on Marco d'Aviano Gasse about 2 blocks from the St. Stephan's Cathedral (Stephansdom). Its a neat place with good staff and very well priced considering its location (~100 euros a night last time I stayed). However, it is a little hard to find in that its entrance is on the ground floor but the actual Pension is on the 5th and 6th floors so it looks like you walking into an ordinary building from the ground floor.

Check it out at http://www.pertschy.com/pension2_e.html
Old 02-19-2005, 07:39 AM
Tree Stalker

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I booked into the Kaiserin Elizabeth. The Konig von Ungarn was already booked up for my dates. After reading posts on Tripadvisor, I realised that I wanted to be toward the center of the Inner Stadt, and near St. Stephens (as some of you mentioned your hotels were and as is the Kaiserin Elizbeth). Its claim to fame is that it has numbered as its guests in the past, Mozart, Liszt, Grieg, and Wagner.

Some of the other hotels mentioned were too modern or too expensive for us (the Sacher). Even the Kaiserin Elizabeth was $240/night which is more than we usually spend.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:09 PM
In Driving Heaven

Quote:
Some of the other hotels mentioned were too modern or too expensive for us (the Sacher). Even the Kaiserin Elizabeth was $240/night which is more than we usually spend.
You can always just stop in at the cafe the Hotel Sacher and try the Sachertorte. Not that I found Sachertorte the best dessert I had in Vienna, but it's probably the most famous. Cafe Demel isn't too far away (on foot) either, should you wish to compare their version.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 06-12-2005, 01:58 AM
Tree Stalker

Hi! I'm posting this from the Hotel Kaiserin Elizabeth. It WAS a good choice. Very good location and very nice. We saw the Hotel Sacher while walking around last night and will find it again for the sachertorte.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:30 AM
---------

Mein Auto: E90
Does anybody know of a cheap place to stay not far from the drop-off location in Vienna (southeast part, not far from the airport)?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg220
Does anybody know of a cheap place to stay not far from the drop-off location in Vienna (southeast part, not far from the airport)?
We did our drop-off in Vienna. The area around the drop-off is fairly industrial (rail-road tracks, etc). Not sure you'd want to stay there even if you could as that would likely mean transportation issues getting to other sights in the city.

We did the drop off and then took a taxi (20 euro, if I remember correctly) to our hotel. We stayed at the Le Meridien right across the street from the Opera House. It was very convenient to the Opera, St. Stephens, and the pedestrian promenade (cross the street and you're there). There is also a large subway station next to the Opera and the trolley. Got a great deal at the time from Priceline after research on biddingfortravel.com.

P.S. If you are doing the Vienna drop-off make sure to call ahead and tell them you're coming. We did our drop-off on a nice, sunny Friday and although the paperwork says they're open until 4pm if hadn't called ahead they would have left at 2pm. Since we called, the stayed until we got there at 2:30pm.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:44 AM

Quote:
...and will find it again for the sachertorte.
Don't get too excited about the sachertorte. It's really not all that great. My wife is big on chocolate and had psyched herself up for it. After all that it was a little bit of a letdown.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:13 PM
---------

Mein Auto: E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoris
We did our drop-off in Vienna. The area around the drop-off is fairly industrial (rail-road tracks, etc). Not sure you'd want to stay there even if you could as that would likely mean transportation issues getting to other sights in the city.

We did the drop off and then took a taxi (20 euro, if I remember correctly) to our hotel. We stayed at the Le Meridien right across the street from the Opera House. It was very convenient to the Opera, St. Stephens, and the pedestrian promenade (cross the street and you're there). There is also a large subway station next to the Opera and the trolley. Got a great deal at the time from Priceline after research on biddingfortravel.com.

P.S. If you are doing the Vienna drop-off make sure to call ahead and tell them you're coming. We did our drop-off on a nice, sunny Friday and although the paperwork says they're open until 4pm if hadn't called ahead they would have left at 2pm. Since we called, the stayed until we got there at 2:30pm.
I am going to travel from Germany through Austria, Slovakia to Poland. I will sightsee Vienna for 2 days and stay in Renaissance Wien. However, I will be dropping off the car one week later when I return from Poland. I will arrive in Austria in the evening and just need 1 night stay somewhere not far from the drop-off location so I can return the car in the morning and get to the airport...

I will take your advice and call them ahead of time. By the way, do you know how to get from the Vienna drop-off location to the airport? Taxi?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330ia
When in Vienna dont miss the best wienerschnitzel in the world, and the largest.

Figlmüller. Try it.

http://www.figlmueller.at/