Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

View Poll Results: What Transmission would you want in your M6?
1.) Manual 75 46.30%
2.) SMG 61 37.65%
3.) Automatic 24 14.81%
4.) CVT (Hybrid Auto) 2 1.23%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
How many want AutoTrans in M6?

In the interest of being as accurate as possible... this will be an anonymous poll.

Given the choices... which would you choose?

1.) Manual
2.) SMG
3.) Automatic
4.) CVT (A hybrid automatic... Like in the Audi... which is coming soon to BMW)

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Ads by Google
Old 05-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3
Any if they were giving one away.

SMG
Old 05-26-2005, 05:25 PM
:-)

Mein Auto: E46 M3
manual or smg. i haven't tried smg but it sounds like i might like it. it's a moot question though as an m6 is not my kind of car.

02 M3 6MT - a bunch of mods | No V-CSL | No carbon fiber anywhere
Sold: 03 330Ci - No Leather | No Moonroof | No Step | European delivered
Old 05-26-2005, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: M6, X6M, Boxster S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak!
In the interest of being as accurate as possible... this will be an anonymous poll.

Given the choices... which would you choose?

1.) Manual
2.) SMG
3.) Automatic
4.) CVT (A hybrid automatic... Like in the Audi... which is coming soon to BMW)
First off, if anyone is interested in how this poll came to be, and the history and discussion behind this poll, check out the Bimmerfest M6 site for all of the fun and excitement!?

I am sort of surprised that Speed would even bother with this. Clearly this poll will not achieve anything except that we're all having a little fun doing it. Remember how this started. I was intrigued by several posts wanting a manual in the M6 here in the U.S. and my stance was that I would rather have an automatic offered in the new M6 over a manual offering or at least in addition to it. My thinking was that a steptronic actually befits this luxury GT cruiser better than a manual. I also went on to say that I felt that there is a silent majority (not represented on this site, by definition) that might want it as well. This poll, while fun, does not, and can not reach the pool of potential buyers that I am referring to. I think most of us can understand that.

When this poll is completed it will be very much in favor of a manual or SMG. Let's face it, this is a group of BMW lovers, old timers, traditionists, etc. who are steeped in the BMW lore and traditions (a good thing, I learned a lot on this site), and they clearly see no need for a Step in the New M6.

So, Speed, thanks for trying. If you feel the (predictable) results of this poll support the position that a Steptronic is absolutely not wanted, by ALL potential M6 buyers, as an optional transmission offering on the new M6, more power to ya my friend.

Max

In case anyone is wondering, the single vote for the Steptronic (at this time) was me.... for ****z and giggles, I voted

Last edited by MaxTimeOff; 05-26-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTimeOff
First off, if anyone is interested in how this poll came to be, and the history and discussion behind this poll, check out the Bimmerfest M6 site for all of the fun and excitement!?

I am sort of surprised that Speed would even bother with this. Clearly this poll will not achieve anything except that we're all having a little fun doing it. Remember how this started. I was intrigued by several posts wanting a manual in the M6 here in the U.S. and my stance was that I would rather have an automatic offered in the new M6 over a manual offering or at least in addition to it. My thinking was that a steptronic actually befits this luxury GT cruiser better than a manual. I also went on to say that I felt that there is a silent majority (not represented on this site, by definition) that might want it as well. This poll, while fun, does not, and can not reach the pool of potential buyers that I am referring to. I think most of us can understand that.

When this poll is completed it will be very much in favor of a manual or SMG. Let's face it, this is a group of BMW lovers, old timers, traditionists, etc. who are steeped in the BMW lore and traditions (a good thing, I learned a lot on this site), and they clearly see no need for a Step in the New M6.

So, Speed, thanks for trying. If you feel the (predictable) results of this poll support the position that a Steptronic is absolutely not wanted, by ALL potential M6 buyers, as an optional transmission offering on the new M6, more power to ya my friend.

Max

In case anyone is wondering, the single vote for the Steptronic (at this time) was me.... for ****z and giggles, I voted
Nah, Max... I did the poll 'cause I like ya and was curious to see what would happen.... even though I think your crazy . Of course I say that with all the love, man... I thought the issue was a good one.
I do believe, however, that you are wrong regarding the unusual bias of people on this sight. Of all the BMW sights... bimmerfest is the truest representation of most BMW people I know across the board. I deal with all types of BMW buyers in day to day life selling them... and have read for years the post and positions on this board. They seem like a really great match to me. Of course... people would need to vote and with only a fraction of the members voting... your right about one thing... the poll is just for fun, and who knows how accurate it really is. I said this on the other thread... In the 2 years I have been dealing with people who want the M6... you are the first to ask for an auto. But dude, that's cool. I still like ya and I still think your crazy... at the same time... I respect both you and your opinion.

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Old 05-26-2005, 08:55 PM

Speed,

That's cool, I sincerely appreciate your comments.

Max

P.S I really think the Cab wagon M6 with a dash-button-shift tranny would be a huge hit! I really think blah blah blah......Just kidding!!

Last edited by MaxTimeOff; 05-26-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:07 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Quote:

Max

"luxury GT cruiser" ? An M6?

645 is a luxury cruiser and available with step

An M6 is a 8200rpm carbonfiber roof, get out of my way, high-strung sports machine. DonŽt be fooled by the relatively harmless apperance.

That baby is one serious machine.

It even has bumper mounts made out of carbon fibre (not even visible, so certainly not for show) just to bring weight down and move the center of mass inwards.

Drive one and youŽll see: Manual might be argued for (if not by me) but step would be absurd.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: '00 M Coupe
M = Motorsport
Automatics have no place in motorsport.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 540i, Dakar, 328i
If you want an automatic buy a Corvette. This is a performance Car!
Old 05-27-2005, 06:37 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
F. I also went on to say that I felt that there is a silent majority (not represented on this site, by definition) that might want it as well. This poll, while fun, does not, and can not reach the pool of potential buyers that I am referring to. I think most of us can understand that.
Yeah, I think that's right. The market for a $90k car, at least in the US, is more likely to consist mostly of people who don't have much interest in shifting gears themselves. Just an unfortunate fact of the market.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
Quote:
Yeah, I think that's right. The market for a $90k car, at least in the US, is more likely to consist mostly of people who don't have much interest in shifting gears themselves. Just an unfortunate fact of the market.
Merc makes the very capable SL[500|600|55AMG|65AMG] (with slushbox _only_) for the lazy types with $90 large burning holes in their pockets. BMW makes the 645ci for those same folks.

The M6 (and M5, and M3, etc) is a streetable race car. Torque converters have no place here.

BMW gets villified for putting an auto in the E36 M3 sedan, but it's OK to put one in the M6? Not...

-MrB
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Old 05-27-2005, 08:24 AM

Mr. B says, "BMW gets villified for putting an auto in the E36 M3 sedan, but it's OK to put one in the M6? Not..."

Like I have said many times in this discussion, IMHO the M3 buyer and the M6 buyer are from much different demographics. Any backlash or vilification from offering a Steptronic in the M6 would be much different (less) than offering one in an M3. The M3 is a much lighter car and as such is much more trackable than the M6. There is no doubt that the M6 is a monster in sheep's clothing and is very fast on the track. But I seriously doubt that you will see lines of M6 owners at the track chomping-at-the-bit to hammer their M6's around the track. On a percentage basis (of model quantities produced), M6's at the track will be far less than M3's. People ain't dropping $100 large on THIS car to take it to the track.

My only point is this. As far as optional transmissions go (M6 only), based on the demographics of a $100,000 automobile purchasors (here in the States) , if the Steptronic was offered, it would far outsell the manual transmission that is offered, hence, they should at least offer it.

I have no way of supporting my premise, other than to draw a (loose) correlation from the buyers of Steptronics vs. SMG's in the 645, with the former being much much greater. To continue with the correlation, I think the buyer of the 645/650 might/could be closer to a M6 buyer than an M3 buyer , demographically speaking of course.

Last edited by MaxTimeOff; 05-27-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tierfreund
"luxury GT cruiser" ? An M6?

645 is a luxury cruiser and available with step

An M6 is a 8200rpm carbonfiber roof, get out of my way, high-strung sports machine. DonŽt be fooled by the relatively harmless apperance.

That baby is one serious machine.

It even has bumper mounts made out of carbon fibre (not even visible, so certainly not for show) just to bring weight down and move the center of mass inwards.

Drive one and youŽll see: Manual might be argued for (if not by me) but step would be absurd.
Here in the States, good or bad, the M6 will mostly be used as a "luxury cruiser" it will see very little track time.

Please stop talking like this !!!... serious machine, 8200 RPM, use of carbon fiber, high strung machine!!! Here in the States we have to wait quite a bit little longer and all of superlatives tossed out by you makes the wait that much more difficult

Max

Last edited by MaxTimeOff; 05-27-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:24 AM

"Merc makes the very capable SL[500|600|55AMG|65AMG] (with slushbox _only_) for the lazy types with $90 large burning holes in their pockets. BMW makes the 645ci for those same folks."

This sort of response always fascinates me, and is sadly typically when it comes to auto forums. Heck, I even got the same flavor of response from a board moderator who's primary job should be to see that rules are followed and to foster and promote open discussion.

Why is that when someone prefers something different they are "lazy" or are referred to in some other derogatory tone, like maybe I should buy a Vette (now that's hitting below the belt )?

The fact is, maybe someone wants the power/handling/prestige of the M6 but works 12 hours a day and on occasion wants to take the M6 to work and maybe just doesn't feel like shifting in commute traffic! Yea yea I know, SMG in auto mode may fit the bill, but that's not the point here. It's not like you're required to have in your posession a flame retardant suite, Sparco gloves and shoes, and a helmut before you are allowed to buy an M6!

Last edited by MaxTimeOff; 05-27-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: '00 M Coupe
Just buy the vette. Maybe chevy will make the z06 in auto so you can be sure to have the most "prestigous" model without the hassle.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dance
M = Motorsport
Automatics have no place in motorsport.
Yeah, and get rid of the power steering too!

Old 05-27-2005, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dance
Just buy the vette. Maybe chevy will make the z06 in auto so you can be sure to have the most "prestigous" model without the hassle.
Is Chicagoland kind of like Disneyland?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Heck, I even got the same flavor of response from a board moderator who's primary job should be to see that rules are followed and to foster and promote open discussion.
Job? What job? I'm a member in the first place, then forum moderator. There's no guideline that moderators can't participate in discussions.

So keep me out of your auto tranmission fetish.

Carry on.

Last edited by Alex Baumann; 05-27-2005 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk
Merc makes the very capable SL[500|600|55AMG|65AMG] (with slushbox _only_) for the lazy types with $90 large burning holes in their pockets. BMW makes the 645ci for those same folks.

The M6 (and M5, and M3, etc) is a streetable race car. Torque converters have no place here.

BMW gets villified for putting an auto in the E36 M3 sedan, but it's OK to put one in the M6? Not...

-MrB
M-cars are not "streetable race cars" they are the ultimate "race-able Sedans and Coupes". A Streetable Race car is something like the Lotus Elise, Radical, Ariel Atom, etc. I don't think anyone that drives a BMW would want a streetable race car.

PS any car that weighs 4000 pounds is no longer a sports car in my book either, it's now bridged the point of being a "Grand Touring Car".

-Adam, who would love to tour in an M6.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
manual or smg. i haven't tried smg but it sounds like i might like it. it's a moot question though as an m6 is not my kind of car.
Drove 6-SMG M3's over the course of 50 miles or so in test drives before I finally gave up on SMG. I*REALLY* REALLY wanted to love SMG and though I would, but the reality wasn't as good as the fantasy.

Can't speak to other flavors of SMG, but on the M3, my opinion is that SMG is the worst of both worlds. The Hassel of a Manual with the Fun of an automatic. Not for me, but I'm sure some like it just fine.

Personally I'd take an Automatic over an SMG, and a proper stick and pedal over both. Maybe this future execution of the SMG (SMGIII?) will be better.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baumann
Job? What job? I'm a member in the first place, then forum moderator. There's no guideline that moderators can't participate in discussions.

So keep me out of your auto tranmission fetish.

Carry on.
I never asked you into this discussion in the first place. So quit posting to it if you don't want to be included. Quite frankly, you haven't added anything of value anyway, so that might be best.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
I never asked you into this discussion in the first place. So quit posting to it if you don't want to be included. Quite frankly, you haven't added anything of value anyway, so that might be best.
Whenever you quote me in your posts, I'll be there.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Whenever you quote me in your posts, I'll be there.
Great! Then try to add value, and don't ask to be "kept out".
Old 05-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Great! Then try to add value, and don't ask to be "kept out".
I already added my value and voted on the polls. I have stated my opinion on the other thread, but you didn't like it.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I already added my value and voted on the polls. I have stated my opinion on the other thread, but you didn't like it.
With value added posts like these.......

Alex quote "I have lost all the interest in reading the rest of the thread after reading this."

AND

Alex quote "And I would expect better from you instead of a broad statement like "all you manual drivers suck, because it's not the best"."

Which was a complete misquote on your behalf as I never said that nor do I feel that way.

AND

Alex quote "Who are you to judge that manual transmissions are the worst choice. Don't give me an attitude, I didn't disrespect anyone. If you don't want to hear opinions, then don't post."

.....I think there should be no posts forthcoming from you on this subject/fetish.

Isn't it like 2:00 AM in Germany (assuming you're posting from Germany)? Shouldn't you go to bed before you really make a bigger fool of yourself?