Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-27-2005, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Question Dynamic Cruise Control?

What is the different between dynamic cruise(standard equipment) and regular old cruise control? Anything special or just a fancy name? The active cruise control(optional $2000) is the one with the laser right? Just curious. Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 05-27-2005, 05:28 AM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Dynamic cruise can use the brakes to maintain speed on downhill grades.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 Black 328i Coupe
Here's a couple of shots of cruise in action...

Not that this is what makes it dynamic... philippek was right there.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...63&postcount=9
Old 05-27-2005, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzbenz
What is the different between dynamic cruise(standard equipment) and regular old cruise control? Anything special or just a fancy name? The active cruise control(optional $2000) is the one with the laser right? Just curious. Thanks
Not laser but radar.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Angry I have been informed wrong.

I was told by the dealer that the dynamic cruise control is the feature that controls the car to match the speed of the vehicle in front and then once the car moves out, it gets back to the original designated speed.
What do I do now... does i help going back to the BMW showroom, its just been 10 days since I got it.

Pls Advice,
Chandru
Old 10-11-2005, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330xi
This is my understanding of dynamic cruise control. In addition to setting speed, you can set how close you want to come to the vehicle in front of you. When you approach a vehicle and meet the distance that you set, your car will slow down to maintain that distance. When the car moves out of your way, it will resume speed you set for cruise control.

My CA told me that BMW is not getting the best feedback about this feature in USA. Reason seems to be the non-aggressive style driving of many American drivers. In other words, they leave too much distance between their car and the one in front. Thus, cars are constantly pulling in between which means your car is constantly reducing speed to maintain distance between you and car in front.

Given that I have a tendency to sometimes tailgate, don't think that would be a problem for me. But I still opted not going with this option. I rarely ever use cruise control, and couldn't justify the additional dollars.

Greg
Old 10-11-2005, 07:30 AM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0320
This is my understanding of dynamic cruise control. In addition to setting speed, you can set how close you want to come to the vehicle in front of you. When you approach a vehicle and meet the distance that you set, your car will slow down to maintain that distance. When the car moves out of your way, it will resume speed you set for cruise control.

Greg
This is ACTIVE cruise control.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:39 AM

OK...now I guess I am confused as to what dynamic cruise control is.

But since I don't use cruise control, guess it doesn't really matter.

Greg
Old 10-11-2005, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: '06 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0320
My CA told me that BMW is not getting the best feedback about this feature in USA. Reason seems to be the non-aggressive style driving of many American drivers. In other words, they leave too much distance between their car and the one in front.
Greg
lol... non-aggresive driving? I guess things are different in NY, where aggressive driving and road rage seem to be the norm...

On Order: 2009 328i- Montego Blue, Black leatherette, Alum, Auto, Xenons, Pwr Seats, Heated Seats, 17" V-Spoke Wheels, Alum Pedals
Old 10-11-2005, 08:20 AM

Have to remember that I live in the midwest. Although I'll have to say that driving is pretty against on the beltway around Indy. Especially during race time.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Special Agent

Mein Auto: Depends on the day!
Dynamic is standard on US cars as the cruise control, it is good old cruise control with the added feature of downhill brake control to maintain the speed.
ACTIVE is the optional system that uses radar to maintain a safe user determined distance from the car in front, this has the ability to brake and accellerate based on the radar input. This is $2k, and will have a radar eye in the front lower grill.
Hope that helps sort the confusion!
2006 325i ED 8/29/05: Retired

Old 10-11-2005, 10:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to TxDigi
Mein Auto: 2006 325i (E90)
a really cool cruise feature i found yesterday (and no i didnt read the instructions)

when using the CC, pushing forward or backward on the lever adjust speed in 1mph increments. Push/Pull harder to the click point and increments are 5mph. Actually the first click adjust speed to the nearest 5mph increment (65, 60, 55, 50, etc...)

Doing 3 hard clicks down will drop speed control down 15mph and the car actually barkes very quickly to slow down.

I was on a long highway drive yesterday and very rarely had my foot on the gas or brake (comfortable) just adjusting speed the whole way with the lever

Very Cool!!!!
Old 10-11-2005, 12:09 PM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDigi
a really cool cruise feature i found yesterday (and no i didnt read the instructions)

when using the CC, pushing forward or backward on the lever adjust speed in 1mph increments. Push/Pull harder to the click point and increments are 5mph. Actually the first click adjust speed to the nearest 5mph increment (65, 60, 55, 50, etc...)

Doing 3 hard clicks down will drop speed control down 15mph and the car actually barkes very quickly to slow down.

I was on a long highway drive yesterday and very rarely had my foot on the gas or brake (comfortable) just adjusting speed the whole way with the lever

Very Cool!!!!

Yeah, this is cool... although when decelerating hard with it, I wonder if the brake lites are on??? Not something to be played with in traffic.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzbenz
Dymanic cruise control offers the following benifits.
1. It applies brakes to maintain speed on downhill slopes
2. Is slows the car when taking corners at higher than ideal speeds for that corner. Example: if your set to 75mph and go into a 45 mph corner, the car is slows down for the corner. Basically it appears the car detects the G forces applied to the car during the corner and slows the car appropriately. When those forces are gone, it re-accelerates to 75 mph automatically. (Really cool feature!!!! DSC also does something similar to this without cruise control. I.e. take a 90 degree corner with full throttle, car won't let you spin it out.)

Active Cruise Control adds
Radar monitoring of the car in front of you to maintain a safe pre-determined distance without requiring a user to "hit the brakes" when someone slows in front of you.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 E46 330i
System needs to anticipate corner to be useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalemkea
Is slows the car when taking corners at higher than ideal speeds for that corner. Example: if your set to 75mph and go into a 45 mph corner, the car is slows down for the corner. Basically it appears the car detects the G forces applied to the car during the corner and slows the car appropriately. When those forces are gone, it re-accelerates to 75 mph automatically.
That sounds like the car applies the brakes once you are already into the bend. If you are going too fast, applying the brakes hard in the bend may not be very helpful. If it can sense the bend and slow down before entering it that could be useful?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 530 XI
So much for a "drivers" car - seems like the Germans want the computer doing all the thinking for you.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by obmd1 View Post
Yeah, this is cool... although when decelerating hard with it, I wonder if the brake lites are on??? Not something to be played with in traffic.
Yes Brake lights are lit in this case.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDigi View Post

Very Cool!!!!
All of this is done automatically with the ACTIVE CC ....
Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosor View Post
That sounds like the car applies the brakes once you are already into the bend. If you are going too fast, applying the brakes hard in the bend may not be very helpful. If it can sense the bend and slow down before entering it that could be useful?
It Brakes the appropriate wheels to keep you on track according to where the steering wheel is pointed. If it applied all the brakes you are correct it could cause you to fish tail or spin out.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcpa View Post
So much for a "drivers" car - seems like the Germans want the computer doing all the thinking for you.
1. You don't have to purchase it if you don't want it. It's an OPTION.
2. If you do opt for it, it's not like some safety device that's on all the time and ruins the driving experience. You only have to use it when you want to.
3. As much as I love driving, there are some times (on a long highway cruise) where it is a nice option and much more functional than standard cruise. Standard cruise requires constant adjustment when used with other cars on the road around you.

I'm all for electronic/technology enhancements as long as they either enhance the driving experience OR I can turn them off when I don't want them. Perfect case in point... Traction control. For most drivers, it's a good electronic safety net. For those who really know what they are doing, just shut it off. I just don't see how this (or adaptive cruise) ruins a driver's car.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcpa View Post
+1

If you want cruise control buy a Lexus, which as we all know is a ........

Class?

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians