Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 E61 530xiT 2004 E53 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckofPrey
It really depends on how comfortable you are at controling a car at the edge of traction, and most importantly, how good your city is at clearing snow. I live in Toronto, and we get a LOT of snow. Natually, city of Toronto is really good at clearing snow as soon as it comes down. My car is a 97 318 (no traction control) and I have a set of mostly worn all seasons, but still I never lost control in any weather. (well, never lost complete control would be more accurate... ) I got stuck once, mostly because a snow plow boxed me in and there were times when my passengers went when I had to countersteer. But, my car is still scratchless.

However, it must be emphasized that driving my car in deep snow is a hairy business. I can do it mostly because Toronto is really good at clearing snow. If I were in a city that was less efficient, I would need a AWD vehicle. I can the risk and drive a RWD car, but, just like everything else, my luck will eventually run out...

Nonetheless, I'm still reluctant to buy a AWD BMW. Yes I know how car-like the BMW SUVs (sorry, SAVs ) are, but there is no subsititude to the steering feel of a RWD set up. Buying a AWD BMW, IMHO, defeats the purpose of spending the money for the Ultimate Driving Machine. My choice would be to get a AWD winter beater.

Just me 0.02

J
Good post, here here! Montreal's city government is so cheap and pathetic they don't clear the snow for days...and we do get a lot...any Montrealers agree on this?

I also agree that having a Bimmer for dry days and summer days is the Ultimate Driving Setup.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i Sport, Man.
You can get 4 17" alloy wheels and run flat snow tires for about $1200.

225/45HR17 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 RunFlat
for 2006 BMW 330i Sedan Sport Package
Old 05-29-2005, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: hyundai
Tirerack does not seem to list any snowtires for the E90 330i. assume because there are no run flat winter tires yet (unless I missed it) So in the interim, with no spare tire , seems sort of touch and go for winter driving. Also seems a set of wheels and snows would be in the $2500 range, the OEM runflats seem would last about 15K miles and cost $1500 from tirerack. Sort of looks like we would be spending a fair amount on money on tires with an E90. Guess its possible the E90 is on the cutting edge of high tech, with the tires. but the rest of the market has not caught up -
Old 05-29-2005, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blue4u
Tirerack does not seem to list any snowtires for the E90 330i. assume because there are no run flat winter tires yet (unless I missed it) So in the interim, with no spare tire , seems sort of touch and go for winter driving. Also seems a set of wheels and snows would be in the $2500 range, the OEM runflats seem would last about 15K miles and cost $1500 from tirerack. Sort of looks like we would be spending a fair amount on money on tires with an E90. Guess its possible the E90 is on the cutting edge of high tech, with the tires. but the rest of the market has not caught up -
I think you missed it. This is from Tirerack:

Item Description Estimated Availability
Explain Qty. Price Each Item Total

ASA JH3 Silver Painted for 2006 BMW 330i Sedan Sport Package

In Stock 012345678 $129.00 $516.00

225/45HR17 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 RunFlat for 2006 BMW 330i Sedan Sport Package

In Stock 012345678 $162.00 $648.00

Total: $1,164.00
Old 05-29-2005, 07:29 PM
Registered Drooler

Mein Auto: '12 335i, '11 X3
Ok, here's a really stupid question, feel free to flame me....

How do i get 4 fullsized tires and rims over to a shop to swap them out? The car doesn't come with a jack, so i assume I've gotta go to a tire place to do it. Would all 4 tires fit in the car w/ the backseat down?

-Mike
Old 05-29-2005, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepinkerton

How do i get 4 fullsized tires and rims over to a shop to swap them out? The car doesn't come with a jack, so i assume I've gotta go to a tire place to do it. Would all 4 tires fit in the car w/ the backseat down?

-Mike
I used to make two trips, so I didn't put a tire on the leather.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
I have an e60 545 sport and I use Dunlop Winter Sport M3 in the winter here in Chicago. The car drives fine in the snow with these tires. I use a second set of wheels that match my 18" factory wheels except they are the same size all around.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 05-29-2005, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding
I have an e60 545 sport and I use Dunlop Winter Sport M3 in the winter here in Chicago. The car drives fine in the snow with these tires. I use a second set of wheels that match my 18" factory wheels except they are the same size all around.
If the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 are ok in Chicago they should be fine in NJ. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 328iC
How to get the tires to the shop

Tirerack ships their tires usually in packs of 2. They are wrapped in a cellophane which will ensure your leather doesn't get messed up. I could fit all of the tires in the passenger seat and footwell I think (it's been awhile) or I would just drop the top throw the tires in and then drive to the installer and reverse the process. That's in the convertible 2 door mode - I imagine a sedan is much easier.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 06 530 xi t
makes no sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckofPrey
It really depends on how comfortable you are at controling a car at the edge of traction, and most importantly, how good your city is at clearing snow. I live in Toronto, and we get a LOT of snow. Natually, city of Toronto is really good at clearing snow as soon as it comes down. My car is a 97 318 (no traction control) and I have a set of mostly worn all seasons, but still I never lost control in any weather. (well, never lost complete control would be more accurate... ) I got stuck once, mostly because a snow plow boxed me in and there were times when my passengers went when I had to countersteer. But, my car is still scratchless.

However, it must be emphasized that driving my car in deep snow is a hairy business. I can do it mostly because Toronto is really good at clearing snow. If I were in a city that was less efficient, I would need a AWD vehicle. I can the risk and drive a RWD car, but, just like everything else, my luck will eventually run out...

Nonetheless, I'm still reluctant to buy a AWD BMW. Yes I know how car-like the BMW SUVs (sorry, SAVs ) are, but there is no subsititude to the steering feel of a RWD set up. Buying a AWD BMW, IMHO, defeats the purpose of spending the money for the Ultimate Driving Machine. My choice would be to get a AWD winter beater.

Just me 0.02

J
the new x-drive offered in the 5 series wagon is a rwd most of the time. only when there is loss of traction does the x-drive deliver power to the front. how is this a waste of money? i could understand if it was a full time awd, then maybe you have a point. alot of people on bimmerfest seem to feel that anything without sports package and smg is for wussies. well, i beg to differ with the aspiring race car drivers, but buying a bimmer does not have to be about that...get my point?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: hyundai
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330maybe
I think you missed it. This is from Tirerack:

Item Description Estimated Availability
Explain Qty. Price Each Item Total

ASA JH3 Silver Painted for 2006 BMW 330i Sedan Sport Package

In Stock 012345678 $129.00 $516.00

225/45HR17 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 RunFlat for 2006 BMW 330i Sedan Sport Package

In Stock 012345678 $162.00 $648.00

Total: $1,164.00

I dont know - it sure seems that with the runflats , the low wear, and the pain in the ass with changing wheels with no jack, etc,etc, we are doomed to spending about 2K / year for worn summer tire BS, and lots of headaches for the ability to drive a hundred miles on a flat tire. and if you do get a flat, assume the tire is toast anyway so there goes a few hundred dollars in the trash can. Seems life with an E90 is going to revolve around tires and dollars vs pleasure with driving it , as for me, cant wait to get mine - shows how screwed up I am. Also heard , but do not know, if you dont use runflats the handling suffers greatly due since the suspension was made for runflats. I drove an E90 demo yesterday, 330i sports pkg, had about 1000 miles on it, tires and some cuts in the sidewalls , but the thing I noticed were the all the chips in the 162 wheels, those wheels look great new, but look really bad with chips in them, the bright silver turns grey around all the chips.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:09 AM

Mein Auto: 07 E61 530xiT 2004 E53 X5
Quote:

-Mike
No flaming for this comment, you're totally right! The little things we take for granted, I hadn't even thought of that!
Old 05-30-2005, 04:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman
the new x-drive offered in the 5 series wagon is a rwd most of the time. only when there is loss of traction does the x-drive deliver power to the front. how is this a waste of money? i could understand if it was a full time awd, then maybe you have a point. alot of people on bimmerfest seem to feel that anything without sports package and smg is for wussies. well, i beg to differ with the aspiring race car drivers, but buying a bimmer does not have to be about that...get my point?
This is mostly because the only way to really have fun in a BMW involes loss of traction in the rear. If I'm driving right, there's a pretty big rear slip angle.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 05-30-2005, 05:49 AM
95NU>*

Mein Auto: '04 Imola/Cinn M3
Quote:

-Mike
3 in the back seat. 1 in the trunk is what I do. They need to be bagged.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:13 AM
In cubicle hell

Mein Auto: 400.03.325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewthebassman
Good post, here here! Montreal's city government is so cheap and pathetic they don't clear the snow for days...and we do get a lot...any Montrealers agree on this?

I also agree that having a Bimmer for dry days and summer days is the Ultimate Driving Setup.
Absolutely right... although sometimes it's not a question of being cheap per se, but there's only so much snow they can remove in a set period of time... but there's nothing more fun than removing the snow from your driveway and having the snowplow do your street and fill your driveway again just before you get in your car to go to work
Old 05-30-2005, 06:19 AM
In cubicle hell

Mein Auto: 400.03.325ci
Quote:

-Mike
Depends on your car and what you want/can do:
1- if you have reclining back seats, you can fit all the wheels in there with a bit of fiddling
2- you can ask the tire place or the dealer to store the set of wheels/tires you're not using for you
3- if you store your wheels at home like I do, you can put your wheels on yourself: instead of using the spare jack that came with the car (and since we're talking E90 without one anyway), I bought a Michelin race jack at Canadian Tire ($200), a torque wrench ($75) and a deep 17mm (IIRC) socket. Torque the nuts at 88lbs.ft and you're set. No need to make an appointment (especially when everybody goes crazy with the first snow), and to dish out $75 every 6 months...
Old 05-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMERBOY
I have a '06 330i on order. I previously owned a '99 323 and it sucked big time in the snow. The BMW saleman assured me I would be fine with just snowtires and that I DID NOT need to wait for the XI to be released. Has anyone had problems in the snow with snow tires?

I was fine this winter with my 04 330i and Dunlop Wintersport M3's 225/45/17 all around. We get a decent amount of snow here in CT and there are some hills. If driving up really steep hills in the middle of a blizzard is required, then you should get 4WD or AWD otherwise you'll be happier with the RWD the rest of the year and you'll feel comfortable with RWD and snowtires in the winter.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Grumpy and Cynical

Send a message via MSN to ed325i Send a message via Yahoo to ed325i
Mein Auto: 328Xi
I have been through 5 winters with my 328Ci with winter tires. No real problems. In fact, I think the Bimmer handled better in the snow with winter tires, than my previous FWD vehicles did, with all season tires.

I know that Vancouver does not get too much snow, but when it does snow here, the city tends to leave it on the roads. I have been through reasonably deep snow, and up hills with my RWD vehicle, and the car remained controllable. I think it really depends on your comfort level with driving in the snow. I grew up here, and also spend a snowy winter in Ontario. Your experiences may differ. Yes, on starts, the tail can wiggle a bit. With the use of throttle and clutch, this can be controlled. If you are not comfortable with winter driving, AWD would be a better bet.

Ed
Old 05-30-2005, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: E90 soon?
First of all, while the xi will give you all wheel drive, all BMWs have all-wheel-stop, so braking will be the same. And that means even with an xi you STILL need snow tires.

But having snow tires isn't as expensive as some have been saying, because you're splitting your mileage between 2 sets of tires. Unless you were only planning on keeping your bimmer for the life of one set of tires, the only costs the winter tires add are:

- cost of rims
- cost/effort of changing tires twice a year
- price different between summer and winter tires

One thing I ask though, is if you're getting steal rims for the winter, PLEASE get some half-decent looking hubcaps! Just 'cause its winter, doesn't mean your car has to look like crap.

-Tim
Old 05-30-2005, 01:22 PM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:

-Mike
Buy a jack and torque wrench, no waiting at a tire shop or hassles, and they will pay for themselves after a couple of seasons.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:18 AM

Mein Auto: '06 330
Quote:
I have a '06 330i on order. I previously owned a '99 323 and it sucked big time in the snow. The BMW saleman assured me I would be fine with just snowtires and that I DID NOT need to wait for the XI to be released. Has anyone had problems in the snow with snow tires?
Okay, so I got the sports package with upgraded 18" wheels. Anyone thrown snow tires on 18s? Any recos on brands/styles? Many thanks fellas...
Old 06-02-2005, 05:11 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Quote:
Okay, so I got the sports package with upgraded 18" wheels. Anyone thrown snow tires on 18s? Any recos on brands/styles? Many thanks fellas...

For snow tires you want a higher side wall and skinnier tire. 18 rims would be not the best choice, go with a 17 rim and moderate width tire.

It is the beginning of summer so there may not be a lot of snow tire choices right now, August-October is probably the best time to buy and find sales on snow tire packages.

Try posting in the tire forum and you might want to visit Tirerack.com to research your tire choices.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmerweb
First of all, while the xi will give you all wheel drive, all BMWs have all-wheel-stop, so braking will be the same. And that means even with an xi you STILL need snow tires.

But having snow tires isn't as expensive as some have been saying, because you're splitting your mileage between 2 sets of tires. Unless you were only planning on keeping your bimmer for the life of one set of tires, the only costs the winter tires add are:

- cost of rims
- cost/effort of changing tires twice a year
- price different between summer and winter tires

One thing I ask though, is if you're getting steal rims for the winter, PLEASE get some half-decent looking hubcaps! Just 'cause its winter, doesn't mean your car has to look like crap.

-Tim
Steel wheels are fine, it's the hub caps that make them look awful.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 06-02-2005, 06:12 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
Steel wheels are fine, it's the hub caps that make them look awful.

I usually end up losing one half way through winter and end up taking them off. It would be nice if someone made a cap that only covered the bolts like you see on cabs and cop cars.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:12 AM
24/7 Bimmer Addict

Send a message via MSN to sunnykk Send a message via Yahoo to sunnykk
Mein Auto: 05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmerweb

-Tim

I agree
OEM: Alarm, Universal Trainsmitter, I-Pod, Mud Flaps; After Market: Clear Bra, 3M-Tint-27%, Passport 8500X-Hard Wired
DIY: Euro Tray, Al Foot-pedals & Foot-rest, ULO Front & Rear Clears, Clutch Stop, De-badged