Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 530 xi t
snow driving

i am about to take delivery of a 530 xit (wagon). obviously, it has the x-drive. i am wondering how the x-5x fare in the wnow with all season tires. i live in portland, oregon where we get very little snow, but i am curious....
Ads by Google
Old 05-29-2005, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0
I don't know which tires your 530xiT has, but I have experience with an X5 and a 325xi, both with the factory all season Michelin MXV4 tires. Neither car has the sport package. I live in Vancouver BC, same climate as Portland.

I get around fine with the all seasons, but on the X5 I would do better with true snow tires. It isn't as sure-footed in snow as other sport-utilities I have owned. On the 325x, with the same tire, it goes absolutely anywhere in the snow. Despite the lack of ground clearance, if we get a heavy snowfall I would pick the 325x.

If I was going to make frequent trips into the mountains, I would buy snows for the X5. For the occasional snow use that I encounter, I find the all-seasons to be fine.

You are really going to have to try it and see how it does. I don't think anyone is going to have experience with the 530x in snow yet.

I am very interested in your reactions to the new car, it sounds great. I am thinking that in 2006, when I replace the X5, it will be a strong contender. Especially if the X5 gets any larger (as is rumoured), then I would prefer a 5 series. Too bad there is no SMG with the X drive.

Retired:
2003 X5 3.0 auto, Premium, Titanium Silver
2004 Z4 3.0 SMG, Sport, Premium, Maldives Blue
2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
Old 05-30-2005, 12:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl10

I am very interested in your reactions to the new car, it sounds great. I am thinking that in 2006, when I replace the X5, it will be a strong contender. Especially if the X5 gets any larger (as is rumoured), then I would prefer a 5 series. Too bad there is no SMG with the X drive.
I dont understand the appeal of SMG for around-the-town use. It seems like it would be great around the track.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 06 530 xi t
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl10
I don't know which tires your 530xiT has, but I have experience with an X5 and a 325xi, both with the factory all season Michelin MXV4 tires. Neither car has the sport package. I live in Vancouver BC, same climate as Portland.

I get around fine with the all seasons, but on the X5 I would do better with true snow tires. It isn't as sure-footed in snow as other sport-utilities I have owned. On the 325x, with the same tire, it goes absolutely anywhere in the snow. Despite the lack of ground clearance, if we get a heavy snowfall I would pick the 325x.

If I was going to make frequent trips into the mountains, I would buy snows for the X5. For the occasional snow use that I encounter, I find the all-seasons to be fine.

You are really going to have to try it and see how it does. I don't think anyone is going to have experience with the 530x in snow yet.

interesting...will let you know..i opted out of runflats since they are not recoomended for snow and ice. we dont get much snow in portland, we do get ice. no one drives when it ices over though. i coud not make sense of having run flats that cant be used in snow yet having the x-drive..so i got the all seasons. if i lived in vermont, i would most definetely have winter tires as well!
Old 05-30-2005, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_neuro
I dont understand the appeal of SMG for around-the-town use. It seems like it would be great around the track.
I've had the Z4 with SMG for over a year, and take it to the office through downtown traffic about one week a month. It is great in traffic. The involvement of shifting, without the clutch work. I have rarely used the auto mode with the SMG, I usually use non-sport, and use the paddles to shift. I would buy another, particularly for in-town.

Retired:
2003 X5 3.0 auto, Premium, Titanium Silver
2004 Z4 3.0 SMG, Sport, Premium, Maldives Blue
2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey