Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-31-2005, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: E90 ?
Who does really need runflats ?

I don't get it... if you have a flat, are you gonna really run on those tires for miles and miles.. then what ?? you're going to find a garage...and voila... by some kind of miracle they're going to have the replacement tire you need in stock ??? Ain't gonna happen... If I do get a flat, I'll call my insurance company, then they're going to take my car, bring it to my preferred tire shop, change the tire and that's it.... I don't get it.. Runflats are not an advantage for me.. they're just noisier, more expansive and another mean to reduce the cost by not giving you a full spare...
Ads by Google
Old 05-31-2005, 07:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E90 330i
I once had two flats at the same time (OK, my mistake, I hit a curb) and only had one spare. RFT would have been a real blessing then to at least get me home.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i
I agree....Runflats with no Spare is the only thing that scares me about the E90.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 06 325i SP
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93941
Old 05-31-2005, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: alfa romeo
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98536
Old 05-31-2005, 03:45 PM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvado
I don't get it... if you have a flat, are you gonna really run on those tires for miles and miles.. then what ?? you're going to find a garage...and voila... by some kind of miracle they're going to have the replacement tire you need in stock ??? Ain't gonna happen... If I do get a flat, I'll call my insurance company, then they're going to take my car, bring it to my preferred tire shop, change the tire and that's it.... I don't get it.. Runflats are not an advantage for me.. they're just noisier, more expansive and another mean to reduce the cost by not giving you a full spare...
At a BMW presentation last week before track day at Downsview. The BMW rep showed a video of a run flat BMW having a blowout and remaining very stable at hight speed - while a second BMW in the video without run flats did pirouettes down the highway after a blow out (essentially on 3 wheels).

It was presented as a safety measure. I think he also mentioned you could or should only drive around 80km at a certain speed or 120km at a slower speed (I foget the speeds). But the implication was to replace the tire relatively soon.

I had the same opinion as most to runflats before I saw the video.
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Old 05-31-2005, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: Junker (soon to be 330i)
That's a good point, I didn't even think about that... I guess run-flats aren't all that bad afterall.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: hyundai
IMHO - runflats suck the big one - I'm out
Old 05-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Can't you see the benefits, really? They are TREMENDOUS safety-wise.

I had to change a flat on a city highway at 11PM. I rolled 1-2 miles on the rims until a I found tight spot. Surrounded by trucks passing 4-6 ft from me at 50mph+. Scary experience. I didn't sleep that night.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor
Can't you see the benefits, really? They are TREMENDOUS safety-wise.

I had to change a flat on a city highway at 11PM. I rolled 1-2 miles on the rims until a I found tight spot. Surrounded by trucks passing 4-6 ft from me at 50mph+. Scary experience. I didn't sleep that night.
Exactly. The point of run-flats is safety. If you are in a situation like Saintor where its unsafe to change flats, whether its because there isn't enough room for you to pull over or because you're in some shady area late at night, run-flats give you the option of driving to a more safe or comfortable location to pull over and make your calls or get to where you need to even.

I value my safety more than anything on this car so I am glad BMW is thinking of that too. I will gladly pay an extra $200 for the one or two flats I get over the life of the car to have this kind of security.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
Exactly. The point of run-flats is safety. If you are in a situation like Saintor where its unsafe to change flats, whether its because there isn't enough room for you to pull over or because you're in some shady area late at night, run-flats give you the option of driving to a more safe or comfortable location to pull over and make your calls or get to where you need to even.

I value my safety more than anything on this car so I am glad BMW is thinking of that too. I will gladly pay an extra $200 for the one or two flats I get over the life of the car to have this kind of security.
Unfortunately it isn't about some trivial $200.
Runflat tires on the E90 wear out very fast and may be an $1100 yearly expense to replace every 10-15K miles or so.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 06 530 xi t
i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvado
how many high speed blow outs have any of you had with regular tires? i guess one could argue it only takes one. but, in my experience i have never had one, nor have ever even heard of anyone i know having this occur. run flats are a nice idea and i am quite sure they are where we are all headed. i am also sure the technology will improve and the prices will come down (wishful thinking?) but until then i opted for "normal" tires.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-d
Runflat tires on the E90 wear out very fast and may be an $1100 yearly expense to replace every 10-15K miles or so.
I don't know how the tires will perform, but they have to last longer 15K miles!!
Old 05-31-2005, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: '06 325i
Runflats are getting more common, so to any person viewing this as a negative thing, the only thing that can be said is live with it. Sooner or later, any other high-end alternative to the E90 will also have this kind of tires and you just won't have the choice anymore.

Give it another 10 years and almost every car will come with it standard, the manufacturers are making more and more models available, even for minivans.

Better get used to the concept... Besides, you save weight on the car a fuel consumption for not having to haul a 5th wheel...
Old 05-31-2005, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: E90 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Better get used to the concept... Besides, you save weight on the car a fuel consumption for not having to haul a 5th wheel...
That's for the exact same reason that I would prefer to marry a thin girl than a fat one
Old 05-31-2005, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: '06 325i
As long as you don't need a trailer... Are we getting off-topic here?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:28 PM
In cubicle hell

Mein Auto: 400.03.325ci
I once ran into a big piece of 6x4 on the highway at 120km/h... only noticed something was wrong when I started to slow down about 2km further down the road... if you get a flat at high speed you have to be really gentle manoeuvering the car to a stop... guess I was lucky that time because the tire was still attached to the rim.
But let's just say that if something like this happens to my wife on her Mini Cooper S, I will be *really* happy that she can keep on rolling on her runflats for a bit to a place where it is safe for her to stop, and that she won't have to worry as much about the behaviour of the car with a flat tire. That being said, the MCS is hard on the backside in town, but it's a lot of fun to drive still

If I get a car with runflats, when time comes to replace tires I may choose to put regular tires and a mobility kit in the trunk, but only if I'm the only one who will be driving the car.

Last edited by michelito; 05-31-2005 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 540i, Dakar, 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-d
Please get your facts straight. The runflat tires are rated by the same standards as non-runflat tires are. A 300 wear tire has a certain longevity irrespective of the carcass design. A performance tire, 100 - 150 rated, will obviously wear faster and should be an expected expense when you get the performance package.

And as far as the price goes, compare apples to apples. I called my dealer, and the E90 run-flat tires start at $174 which was only $26 more than the standard tire which BMW designed their chassis' around. Can you buy cheaper tires; sure but are they designed to the specs that the BMW engineers ask of their tire manufacturers???

I consider the minor extra expense to be insurance which won't require me to sit on the side of the road for hours waiting for roadside assistance while my trunk fits more of my stuff in it.

I suggest that if your budget is that tight you trade your BMW in on a Hyundai for that 100,000 "whats really covered" warranty!
Old 05-31-2005, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: MCS
Hi, first post, couldn't resist with this Runflat discussion going on...

I had 18 months of experience with the Pirelli Euforia R/F's on a Mini Cooper S. Heavy, noisy and harsh riding, with a limited level of grip compared with a cheaper priced performance tyre.

Replaced them with Michelin Pilot Precedas. Sharper steering, more grip, more predictable breakaway, quieter and cheaper. In fact approximately half the price in Oz.

Now carrying a can of tyre sealant and a compressor in the boot (trunk!).

Had 2 flats with the runflats, and found it difficult to have them plugged (repaired).
This being due to the fact that the manufacturer states thet are to be replaced, not repaired. They are quoted as being able to be driven at 80km/h for 100kms +/- (?).
Of course this would generate a reasonably high temperature in the tyre carcass, effectively rendering it useless.

If you are miles from nowhere, or on a highway where it is too dangerous to attend to the flat this might sound great. If you're tootling round, your tyre pressure warning sounds and you are near to a tyre store, and dont really exceed 50-60km/h you'll be expected to
replace the tyre anyway. Unless you find an intelligent and sypathetic tyre store that
accepts your story and plugs the tyre, as I managed to have done.

In all my driving I've only ever had suburban flats.....

Further, BMW's PR spin on the R/F's meaning space is saved in the trunk is hard to believe,
in the E90 apparently the trunk is 20 litres larger, in a car that is a fair bit larger than it's
predecessor.... I pressume, as in the Mini, you dont get a jack or wheel brace.

Why am I here ? Wife's being nice to me and might end up with a 120i if she's lucky.
And I'm planning on an E90 Touring if they're sensible here and make it at least a 325, and not a 320...

Old 05-31-2005, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 06 330i ZPP, ZSP, 6M
It's not as if one gets great tread wear on standard performance tires - mine on the M3 went at 22k and the dealer said I was lucky to get that much!

John

86 635, red/tan , 5M
90 535, granite/gray, 5M
94 325i, Black/tan, 5M SP
97 M3 sedan, byzanz (copper)/Magma(brown), 5M
Old 05-31-2005, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i SG with Blk Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by K G B
Now carrying a can of tyre sealant and a compressor in the boot (trunk!).
Hello, I am curious. What sealant brand are you using?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
Hello, I am curious. What sealant brand are you using?
*returns from expedition to trunk*

Tyre Weld

Unused so far. No performance data recorded.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i SG with Blk Int
Quote:
*returns from expedition to trunk*

Tyre Weld

Unused so far. No performance data recorded.
Cool, thank you. Just curious.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:34 AM

Quote:
I had 18 months of experience with the Pirelli Euforia R/F's on a Mini Cooper S. Heavy, noisy and harsh riding, with a limited level of grip compared with a cheaper priced performance tyre.
We're all aware of the downsides RF tires have presented in the past but its pretty clear from various reports of E90 drivers, professional and otherwise, that BMW engineers have spent A LOT of time and effort to engineer the E90 from the ground up for run-flats. Between their efforts and so-called 2nd gen RF tires, it seems that these downsides to RF tires have been all but eliminated.

And I don't think the RF makes any difference as to the wear of the tires. From what I've heard from asking around, expected mileage on 18" sport performance tires on the last 330 was not much more than 20K miles with some really easy-going driving. That's about what's expected on the new one as well.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:03 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
The big downside besides the price is that run flats have a noticeably harsher ride than a non run flat.

I wonder how harsh a ride a tire like a PS2 or a S-03 run flat would have?