Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-01-2005, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: R1150GS
I'm considering the Nav system on a new X3

Hello All,

My wife and I are considering the purchase of a new X3 3.0. We're a bit overwhelmed with the choices though; we don't want to be cheap or frivolous. We pretty much know what we want, with the exceptions of the xenons and the navigation system.

So my questions about the nav system:

For the most part, we know where we need to go. How easy or cumbersome is it to plan an alternate route? For example, if I input my destination and it plans a route that I know will be laden with heavy traffic (say, through NYC) is it easy to alter that route?

Also if I get off a highway because an accident or construction caused a backup, will the nav system keep trying to get me back on that highway, or forget about it entirely?

Also, I'm sort of leaning toward not getting it, and buying a decent hand-held gps. I'm guessing I can get all the functionality from a hand held, plus I could use it on my motorcycle (that's a major plus for me). If I do this, and get a unit with voice prompts, has anyone managed to somehow plug that into the sound system?

Basically, I don't want to be cheap, but in my world $1800 is a lot of coin for a gadget I may not find all that useful...

Thanks,
SP
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2005, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0, '06 911S
Hi Slim.

I got the nav on an '05 X3 and think it's great. I have been using GPS devices since, well, long before Selective Availability was turned off during the Clinton years.

After using extensively it all over Europe during European Delivery and also for a few weeks back in the States, I am very pleased. I couldn't have done the ED without it. It saved incredible amounts of time and basically eliminated any advance route-planning.

In regard to your routing questions, alternate routes are planned on-the-fly. If you miss a turn, it will reroute you automatically from your current position and won't try to make you go back to use the previous route it suggested. This works for traffic congestion too.

For me, the decision of an external GPS vs a nav comes down to a couple of things. 1) how important is it to be integrated? 2) size and resolution of the screen. External GPS devices will have more advanced features and be portable but will not integrate into the car as easily or have a screen like the nav. For me, I use the nav in the car and an external GPS for hiking or if needed while walking around in a new place.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0i
I also have a 2005 X3 3.0 with Nav.
I like it very much, I also did eurpoean delivery with it and nav was a huge plus.
I like the nav system integrated because:
1) much larger screen
2) higher up on dashboard (very good position in X3)
3) Audible directions, automatically turn down radio

That being said, it is not a touch screen, so it is not super simple to input data, but it is super quick when computing.
A coworked bought a Honda pilot, has a smaller touch screen, much slower computing time, and not as many scales, I much perfer the X3 nav system - so does he.
It propbably takes about the same time to find a route, BMW time is inputting the data, Honda time is compute processing time
Touch screeen and a plus and a negative, faster to input data, but you have to constantly clean them.

As for recalculating route - all you do is make a wrong turn and it is automatic, this is also processed faster in the BMW the Honda.
I have used neverlost in Hertz rental cars after I had the Nav system.
Neverlost felt like a small computer game - map on screen is almost unusable.
It also was notr nearly as acurate as my BMW - had me on parallell roads a few times.
Anyhow that is just my opion.
I am sure people who are not computer screen literate would much rather have a paper map. And other people love the hond system - just preferences.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:36 PM
humanum est errare

Mein Auto: which day is this?
I never thought I would ever own a NAV unit. With mapquest, I figured, why pay the $.

Well, now I've got a Garmin 2610 and OEM Nav in the M3. Just wish I had bought the Garmin unit before last summer's trip to Seattle / Victoria / Vancouver.

I like the Garmin because of it's touch screen. Much easier to enter addresses / names. The user interface seems to be easier to use.

The advantage of the OEM Nav is that fact that it is integrated into the odometer. Driving across the bridge, through a tunnel or around the central business district, the satellite signals can be lost. The integration into the car's systems allows the GPS to chart your position in situations where you may have lost sufficient satellite reception.

The benefits of NAV are most pronounced when you are driving to an uncertain location during evening hours. It makes it so much easier to know when you need to turn, hence improving you ability to lane position yourself.

David

2004 e83 3.0, 2003.5 e46 M3 Cic, 2008 e9x 335xia, 2008 Sienna XLE Limted AWD
========================
Gone: 2006 B7 A4, 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L RES
Old 06-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Another answer & opinion

Quote:
Also if I get off a highway because an accident or construction caused a backup, will the nav system keep trying to get me back on that highway, or forget about it entirely?
You have complete control over this. The default is that the Nav will try to re-direct you back on the original route until you reach a position where an alternative becomes quicker/shorter (your option). But at any time you can force it to detour around the original route for 1, 2, 5,... miles.

I have the Denso factory unit with the touch screen in our second car (a Prius). The interfaces are different, but I wouldn't rate one to be "easier to use" than the other. The only problem I have with the X3 factory unit is that I just can't remember how to search for a specific restaurant, etc. So, when some kind person posted the instructions here, I printed them out and keep the paper in the net pocket in the passenger's footwell.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0, 2002BoxsterS
I never had a car with nav, but decided to do euro delivery and thought the nav would be a great feature to have while traveling though europe (plus euro delivery saved me enough to get the nav for "free")

I found the system to be very easy to use and useful. I doubt I'll be using it much in my everyday driving at home, but it's handy to just punch in an address for a store I've never been to or vacation spot and not have to deal with reading maps - makes the trip more enjoyable when the copilot doesn't have to navigate and she (I mean they ) can just enjoy the scenery. My brother has a garmin and thinks they are comparible, he likes the portability of his but likes the larger screen of mine in the X3.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Hi Tech GI Jane

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
I love the Nav. This is my 2nd BMW with it and I hate being in a car without it. You find all sorts of uses for it: restaurants, ATM's, gas stations, etc. I like it integrated because it works well with calculating distance and the ETA. The X3's Nav is much improved over the 2000 - really fast in calculating.

Last edited by iChick; 06-02-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
I'm having the same delima. It's too bad BMW can't have something better. I love my wife Acuras Nav. Voice comand is great. The touch screen is nice. I'm spoiled with that system and I'm not sure I could deal with the cheap style BMW has. The Nav systems are great when you need them.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0i
It's a matter of preference, I defiently wouldn't call the BMW cheap.
The philiosophy of how the system works is different then other system.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0, '06 911S
What Brian said.

"...cheap style BMW..."???

If you want something that looks cheap, check out the condition of those touch-screen navs after a few thousand miles of use. The Acura systems used to be, hands-down, one of the best navs on the market. After seeing them recently, I'm not sure what happened. They do have that traffic info though, don't they?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
The BMW website says that the DVD is not included. How much is the DVD? Do you have to buy one every year?

JP
Old 06-07-2005, 02:54 PM
humanum est errare

Mein Auto: which day is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreXray
The BMW website says that the DVD is not included. How much is the DVD? Do you have to buy one every year?

JP

If you purchase the NAV, it comes with a DVD. If, years later, you want a more current version of the maps or points of interest, then you might consider buying a more recent version of the DVD. I believe the 2005-2 version for the US costs $199.

David

2004 e83 3.0, 2003.5 e46 M3 Cic, 2008 e9x 335xia, 2008 Sienna XLE Limted AWD
========================
Gone: 2006 B7 A4, 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L RES
Old 06-18-2005, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes Benz/BMW X3
Anyone know where I can get a description of all the functions that the
Navigation System provides? A OP Manual would be great!

From what I have read, it sounds like the Nav system can do the following:
1) GPS Roadmap Navigation
2) Voice announcements in several languages

What other features are there?
Is there a choice of UK English vs. others?
Old 06-19-2005, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Looking for Nav CD for ED

Did anyone purchase or download a copy of the nav cd for Europe? I'm flying out on July 3rd and would like to not have to spend $165 for a cd that I'll use for 2 weeks.

I found a site where I can download but would feel a whole lot more confident if I had the real thing or at least a proven good copy. Please let me know, we can make a deal.

my e-mail is carlopalmas@yahoo.com
Old 06-21-2005, 11:19 PM

Does the nav screen on the X3 replace the coin holder in the center of the dash? The german spec'd version I "test drove" (rented) had a ghetto LCD in the middle of the radio that had direction arrow only type nav.

I have heard that the US version is a flipup screen where the coin (etc) holder is. Also I am renting a 525d touring right now and love the nav on it, is the us X3 nav screen and controls similar? Although the iDrive is a PITA to work and almost seems like its been abused (car has 6,000 kms on it so I find that hard to believe so I am guessing iDrive is just mushy and difficult to work). I know the X3 doesn't have iDrive and I hope they leave it off.

JP
Old 06-21-2005, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloPalmas
Did anyone purchase or download a copy of the nav cd for Europe? I'm flying out on July 3rd and would like to not have to spend $165 for a cd that I'll use for 2 weeks.

I found a site where I can download but would feel a whole lot more confident if I had the real thing or at least a proven good copy. Please let me know, we can make a deal.

my e-mail is carlopalmas@yahoo.com
hey Carl,

I have a Europe NAV DVD in my rental right now. I have DVD burner, let me see if it will burn.

JP

I just noticed you said CD? The 525 is a DVD, do you need DVD or CD?

Last edited by SabreXray; 06-21-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d ZMP
Sabre check your pm !
Old 06-22-2005, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Perhaps this is a bit off-thread, but does anyone know if NAV can be ADDED post-sale, e.g, by a dealer?

Thanks!
2005 X3 3.0i Bluewater Metallic Gray Leather Premium Package Auto Heated Steering Wheel & Seats Panorama Moonroof Dark Wood Foglights Rain Sensor Auto Headlight Xenon Headlights Sirus Satellite Cd Changer Audio Adapter
Old 06-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Adolescent On-Call

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vontech
Perhaps this is a bit off-thread, but does anyone know if NAV can be ADDED post-sale, e.g, by a dealer?

Thanks!
AFAIK, this is very expensive and a real b1tch to do.

Order it. I love my NAV and actually use it way more frequently than I ever thought I would, even in places I know like home. Having that map to glance at is great! Only criticism is the plain Jane voice . Why not a nice German girl to listen to?

Get the phone w/voice command, too. It's sooooooo convenient
Old 06-23-2005, 12:43 AM

FYI

the 5 series (6 series and X5) NAV uses a different DVD then the X3 does.

JP
Old 06-23-2005, 03:45 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0i (2005)
Quote:
Originally Posted by machmeter
AFAIK, this is very expensive and a real b1tch to do.

Order it. I love my NAV and actually use it way more frequently than I ever thought I would, even in places I know like home. Having that map to glance at is great! Only criticism is the plain Jane voice . Why not a nice German girl to listen to?

Get the phone w/voice command, too. It's sooooooo convenient
Or what about a male commandant German voice, saying "auchtung" for warnings, or to make you drive faster, saying "schnell, schnell".