Didn't Expect to But Fell in Love with the New F10

by Bimmerfest.com Member - gryphon95 on August 18, 2010, 3:41 pm
  tags:
f10 bmw f10 535i 528i 5 series  
I’m a noob to bimmerfest as well as BMW. So, my apologies for a long post (questions at the end) as my intro…

I tested the 2011 528i and 535i over the weekend, and man, I fell hard the new 5er, but especially the 535i. We currently have a 2009 Mercedes SLK 350 and 2010 Mercedes GL 320 CDI as our primary cars and a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon for trips to the mountains. I've also got a 2000 SAAB 9-3 Viggen that is my fun car, and I have been waiting for SAAB to launch the new 9-5 Aero before replacing it. To make sure that I was ready to purchase the new 9-5 the moment it lands in the U.S. (the first shipment docked at port on Monday, and SAAB techs are prepping them for land shipment now), I did my due diligence and test drove the competition: the 2011 Mercedes E-Klasse, the Jaguar XF, the Audi A6, and - finally - the BMW 5er. I know some people will say that SAAB does not compete with BMW or those other brands, but those are what I saw as comparables in my view. I have always been fond of SAAB, and it’s great to see the company free from GM.

Below are my thoughts on the cars. Note that I saved the BMW 5er for last because I have never been fond of the 5er, especially the last generation. A neighbor had one, and I just could never get over the styling. Also, and I admit this is stereotyping, the BMW 5er just did not seem right for a 30-something, married, no-kids kinda guy.

- First off, the E-Klasse is a lovely car. The fit and finish and look of the car are great. The interior is plush, and there's ample room. However, the car drives like it is completely unconnected to the road. I tested the E350 and the E550, and both had the same problem. Both cars were nothing like our SLK, which I could never see us parting with except for another SLK. (The Z4’s “look at me” styling is not for me.)
- The Jaguar XF was another story. It has a gorgeous (if a little overdone) interior, and the V8 engine (supercharged and non-supercharged varieties) really connects the car with the road and launches it down the road. However, the fit and finish was really bad. You could easily see misaligned interior parts, and I was able to lift the rear seat bench up about 4-5 inches with my hand. My other half loved it but doesn't get too much of a say when it comes to a toy that is just for me...
- The Audi A6. I didn't even test drive it. I looked at the interior, sitting in the driver's seat, and I ruled it out. Everything with the lay out seemed out of place, and there was this swath of hideously colored wood running the length of the dash. The dealer said that there were other wood options for the interior, but I didn't bother to look at them because what I saw was disgusting.
- The BMW 528i and 535i were simply awesome machines. I have read the criticism of the new F10 being bland or boring. I don’t get that at all. The previous generation was outrageous looking (in a bad way), but the new F10 looks classic, reserved, and refined while being suitably muscular and athletic. It looks like it is powerful and can back up that image. The engine growl of the 535i and the extra power is what sold me on it versus the 528i. Also, the luxury appointments, like the Active Heated/Ventilated Seats. I can see how they actually might make driving in DC’s crappy traffic tolerable. The fit and finish truly impressed. There were no visible flaws with the car, and everything seemed precisely lined up. I have never seen a better laid out dash or a better NAV. The iDrive even seemed intuitive after a few minutes of play. I spent about an hour in both cars, and I feel like got to know them pretty well.

So, now I have to decide. Unless the new SAAB truly knocks my socks off this weekend, I will be getting the BMW 535i. I want the ACC and HUD options, so it looks like I would be special ordering it. So, my questions are:

- How long does it typically take to get a special order 5er? The dealer said it would be about a month, but that seems too short of a timeframe to get a car built and shipped across the Atlantic.
- Do dealers do special orders easily, or do they really try to push a car built on the lot?
- I like the sales team at BMW of Alexandria, but do the guys here from DC have any recommendations for good dealers in the DC region? I don’t mind driving to get a good deal.
- Finally, though it only snows a few times a year in DC and we have a Jeep Wrangler to use when it gets rough… Based on your past experiences with BMW 5ers, how well do you think an F10 would handle in snow? In this climate, is there a good reason to hold off until the xDrive 5ers are out?

Thanks for any input!


Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










27 responses to Didn't Expect to But Fell in Love with the New F10

markl53 commented:
August 18, 2010, 3:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon95 View Post
I’m a noob to bimmerfest as well as BMW. So, my apologies for a long post (questions at the end) as my intro…
Welcome!

Quote:
- How long does it typically take to get a special order 5er? The dealer said it would be about a month, but that seems too short of a timeframe to get a car built and shipped across the Atlantic.
- Do dealers do special orders easily, or do they really try to push a car built on the lot?
- I like the sales team at BMW of Alexandria, but do the guys here from DC have any recommendations for good dealers in the DC region? I don’t mind driving to get a good deal.
- Finally, though it only snows a few times a year in DC and we have a Jeep Wrangler to use when it gets rough… Based on your past experiences with BMW 5ers, how well do you think an F10 would handle in snow? In this climate, is there a good reason to hold off until the xDrive 5ers are out?
I ordered my 535i on 7/24 and it went to production on 7/26. The dealer modified an order they already had in the system. It was built on 8/9, and it is now waiting to get on a ship. It takes the ship about 2 weeks to arrive to the east coast USA, than about another week until it arrives at the dealer. All in all, it takes about 6-7 weeks.

Dealers will work with an order as easily as a car on the lot. Especially the 5 series, there won't be many to choose from. Always order exactly what you want. I got a good discount at VOB where I've bought several BMW's previously.

I've had 2 BMW 3-series, non X, and although I don't drive extensively in snow, I made out fine with the M+S non-sport tires. Performance tires would be a different story, but I don't think you said you were getting the sport package. I expect my 535i non "X" to be very similar in snow.

You know the SAAB won't be the 535i -- just go for it! Good luck.
richschneid commented:
August 18, 2010, 4:28 pm

Congrats! I have had four Bimmers, '93 740i, '99 540i with sport, '00 M5, and currently a 650i with sport. I always have used two sets of wheels and tires. I like high performance summer tires, which can never be driven in snow. I wouldn't drive a rear wheel drive car in the snow with all season tires. I think four dedicated winter tires are essential in a rear wheel drive car. I have always gotten along pretty well with winter tires and rear wheel dirve, but after last year I've had enough.

This year I am getting the 550i xDrive. These go into production Sept 1st. Mine is due to arrive the first week in October. Considering our changing climate and the amount of snow you got in DC last year (my son lives in Arlington) I think you should seriously consider spending an extra $2000 and get the 535i xDrive. You can order it now and get it within two months or so.

I'm even going to use dedicated winter tires in the winter despite having AWD. But you should do reasonably well with the combination of all seasons and AWD.
Munich77 commented:
August 18, 2010, 5:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon95 View Post
- I like the sales team at BMW of Alexandria, but do the guys here from DC have any recommendations for good dealers in the DC region? I don’t mind driving to get a good deal.
- Finally, though it only snows a few times a year in DC and we have a Jeep Wrangler to use when it gets rough… Based on your past experiences with BMW 5ers, how well do you think an F10 would handle in snow? In this climate, is there a good reason to hold off until the xDrive 5ers are out?

Thanks for any input!
Welcome to the 'fest. The F11 is a great car - even though I am quite happy with my E60. There are plenty of dealers in the DC area so I would suggest shopping around.

While I have not dealt with them personally, Passport is highly regarded and offers great pricing. VOB is hit or miss - I bought my car from there and have a great sales person that got me a deal. Before that I had walked in and talked to another sales person while looking at the 5 series for my wife (she ended up with an E-class) and that idiot sales person let us test drive the car for a whole two blocks!?! Having said that the VOB sales person I used was awesome and the deal I got at the time was very reasonable.

As for X-drive - I bought my car with X-drive not only because of DC winters but also because of the horrendous rains. The new X-drives have all the handling gimmicks too. The advantage of X-drive is increased traction and not only in the snow. In the snow this winter the car performed great although we stayed out of the really deep stuff. If you have another snow car (i.e. the Jeep) and your BMW is not a daily driver you might be able to get by without X-drive and/or snows.
gryphon95 commented:
August 18, 2010, 5:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Welcome!
markl43, thank you! I've lurked for a while, but since it looks like purchase is pretty much for sure, I thought I would take the plunge and join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I ordered my 535i on 7/24 and it went to production on 7/26. The dealer modified an order they already had in the system. It was built on 8/9, and it is now waiting to get on a ship. It takes the ship about 2 weeks to arrive to the east coast USA, than about another week until it arrives at the dealer. All in all, it takes about 6-7 weeks.
This time-frame sounds a little more like what I expected. A month sounded too aggressive, but 6-7 weeks seems realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Dealers will work with an order as easily as a car on the lot. Especially the 5 series, there won't be many to choose from. Always order exactly what you want. I got a good discount at VOB where I've bought several BMW's previously.
Thanks. This is good to know. I thought that the dealer would try to stick to the MSRP for an order, so I was a little leery. Thanks for this info and for the recommendation to check with VOB. I bought a SAAB there before, and they were good. I forgot that they sell BMWs. I will check them out.

Thanks again.
MooseF10 commented:
August 18, 2010, 6:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon95 View Post
- How long does it typically take to get a special order 5er? The dealer said it would be about a month, but that seems too short of a timeframe to get a car built and shipped across the Atlantic.
- Do dealers do special orders easily, or do they really try to push a car built on the lot?
One thing you have going for you is that BMW is not building any cars right now so your wait for a 2 wheel or xDrive car should be about the same. Your car will not be started for several weks from now at the earliest. You are correct that one month delivery on a car seems too short. Plan on at least 6 weeks but it should not take longer than 8 weeks. The factory starts producing cars again in September so your wait will be a little longer than if this was 2 months ago and the production line was humming along. Once your car is in the production line and has its VIN generated, your dealer can give you the VIN and you can track your car on BMW's US website. The tracking is not quite as efficient as say FedEx but it saves you from having to call your salesman for updates. The wait is hard but it seems to go by pretty fast.

I have never had an issue with ordering a BMW. I ordered a 540 years ago while on the wait list for an M5. The M5 came in first so I never bought the 540. The dealer did not mind at all. They were glad to get another 540 in their stock. Ordered (or "sold") cars move faster through the delivery stages than do "dealer spec" cars. So, if a dealer can take a car from his allocation and mark it "sold" and modify to your specifications, it will arrive on their lot quicker. If you don't buy it, they are often happy to get inventory quicker so no harm, no foul if you don't take delivery. That is just my experience over 30 years or driving, ordering and enjoying Bimmers.

SAAB's are nice but you are really going to enjoy the 535. Good luck.
gryphon95 commented:
August 18, 2010, 6:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
This year I am getting the 550i xDrive. These go into production Sept 1st. Mine is due to arrive the first week in October. Considering our changing climate and the amount of snow you got in DC last year (my son lives in Arlington) I think you should seriously consider spending an extra $2000 and get the 535i xDrive. You can order it now and get it within two months or so.
Thanks. If I go the special order route (which seems pretty much the only way to get ACC and HUD), it may make sense to get xDrive, too. Thanks for the weather / car handling feedback. Philly and DC/Arlington have pretty much the same winters, and with global climate change, it seems to be getting worse, not better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
As for X-drive - I bought my car with X-drive not only because of DC winters but also because of the horrendous rains.
Good point, and today is proving that.

MooseF10, thanks for the info on the ordering timelines and the factory closure. I knew it would be closed at some point, but knowing the specifics is helpful.
solstice commented:
August 18, 2010, 6:31 pm

You should definately try the SAAB before deciding. I haven't driven it myself but I've read one comparison test where it came out ahead of the 5-series when it comes to "enjoyment" to drive. Overall the 5-series was seen as the better car but if you prioritize things like handling and steering feeback the SAAB might win you over. Personally I wouldn't buy it due to the depreciation. I buy my cars cash and change quite often so it doesn't work out well with cars that depreciates like homes in Las Vegas.
markl53 commented:
August 18, 2010, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon95 View Post
Thanks. This is good to know. I thought that the dealer would try to stick to the MSRP for an order, so I was a little leery. Thanks for this info and for the recommendation to check with VOB. I bought a SAAB there before, and they were good. I forgot that they sell BMWs. I will check them out.
I think most people order, at that price point people want what they want, unless a stock car is almost identical I would think. BTW, the VOB BMW location is not on Old Georgetown where the other VOB dealer is. It's right on 355 near Congressional shopping center. Right across from Rockville Porsche/Audi.
quackbury commented:
August 18, 2010, 10:17 pm

There have been a number of threads commenting on the fact that many (though certainly not all) long-time BMW owners feel the F10 has lost some of its inherent "BMW-ness". These often conclude with the comment that BMW must be trying to broaden the 5er's appeal to a broader market. Lexus owners are frequently cited as part of the new target market.

The implied logic is that for every former E39 or E60 owner who is disappointed in the F10's driving feel, there will be other folks who have never owned a BMW, but revel in the car. (And despite the griping, many or most of the BMW faithful will get an F10 anyway since it's still the only mid-size luxury car with a roundel).

Based on your experience, maybe the new strategy is a winner after all.

PS: If you pull the trigger on the F10, make sure you join BMWCCA. It will add to your enjoyment of this car, and save you a considerable amount when you get your next BMW.
gryphon95 commented:
August 18, 2010, 11:15 pm

Solstice - I agree. I have to test the SAAB, but I just don't think it's going to measure up. Supposedly, the first 33 new 9-5s have made it ashore, but nobody seems to know where they are or when they will be at the dealers! There's no tracking system in place, it seems!

markl53 - Yeah, it seems like ordering will be the way to go. There just is no reason not to spec out the car just as I want it. When I buy, it will be a cash transaction, so I don't mind paying a little extra for just the car I want. Also, thanks for pointing me to right place for the dealership!

quackbury - Well, it worked on me. I did not like the previous generation. The looks of just stopped me cold. If I end up in the F10, I will definitely join BMWCCA.

Thanks again for all the great info. This is a great forum, and I've learned a lot as a noob.
carnuts3 commented:
August 19, 2010, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
There have been a number of threads commenting on the fact that many (though certainly not all) long-time BMW owners feel the F10 has lost some of its inherent "BMW-ness". These often conclude with the comment that BMW must be trying to broaden the 5er's appeal to a broader market. Lexus owners are frequently cited as part of the new target market.

The implied logic is that for every former E39 or E60 owner who is disappointed in the F10's driving feel, there will be other folks who have never owned a BMW, but revel in the car. (And despite the griping, many or most of the BMW faithful will get an F10 anyway since it's still the only mid-size luxury car with a roundel).

Based on your experience, maybe the new strategy is a winner after all.
Not sure, too early to tell if the "new strategy" is a winner. I for one, after 6 BMW's over a 13+ yr period, am going elsewhere for my next daily driver - at least for the time being. I still love the brand, but not the new 5'er.
MooseF10 commented:
August 19, 2010, 3:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuts3 View Post
Not sure, too early to tell if the "new strategy" is a winner. I for one, after 6 BMW's over a 13+ yr period, am going elsewhere for my next daily driver - at least for the time being. I still love the brand, but not the new 5'er.
Funny thing is, the F10 brought me back. In 2002 I was looking forward to a newly redesigned 7 after my 2000 M5. After seeing the Mangled Bangle in person, I went across the street and bought a Range Rover with BMW drivetrain. I kept waiting for BMW to make a car as nice as the past BMW's I owned but they kept refusing. I tried really hard to like the 6 when it came out but I hated the mis-shaped trunk and unexciting front end. BMW seems to be back on track even if the 5 is not as tight and sporting as the old 5's. BMW has shifted every series up 1/2 notch over the past decade. The 1 takes the place of the now larger 3 as an entry level line and the 3 is closer in size to the old 5's and now the 5's are small 7's. That is OK with me. It happens to be what I was looking for.....a really nice performing sports/luxury sedan.
Munich77 commented:
August 19, 2010, 4:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I think most people order, at that price point people want what they want, unless a stock car is almost identical I would think. BTW, the VOB BMW location is not on Old Georgetown where the other VOB dealer is. It's right on 355 near Congressional shopping center. Right across from Rockville Porsche/Audi.
Yep or unless great financing is available which is how I ended up with my car. I got lucky they had a 535 xi on the ship that had all the options I wanted. Through a contact I had an excellent salesperson at VOB that reserved the car for me even before I had a chance to test drive it. I test drove a 535 and only had to wait a week for my ride to come in.
1HOT BMR commented:
August 19, 2010, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
There have been a number of threads commenting on the fact that many (though certainly not all) long-time BMW owners feel the F10 has lost some of its inherent "BMW-ness". These often conclude with the comment that BMW must be trying to broaden the 5er's appeal to a broader market. Lexus owners are frequently cited as part of the new target market.

The implied logic is that for every former E39 or E60 owner who is disappointed in the F10's driving feel, there will be other folks who have never owned a BMW, but revel in the car. (And despite the griping, many or most of the BMW faithful will get an F10 anyway since it's still the only mid-size luxury car with a roundel).

Based on your experience, maybe the new strategy is a winner after all.

PS: If you pull the trigger on the F10, make sure you join BMWCCA. It will add to your enjoyment of this car, and save you a considerable amount when you get your next BMW.
The strategy has worked on me too. Every time I have been in the market for a new car I've looked at BMWs and every single time I've walked away from buying one for a variety of reasons. This time I was about to go buy something else again even after test driving both the 2009 M5 (super deal offered) and 2010 M3. In my opinion, the 2011 550i with a 6 speed manual and Sport Package that I just test drove is much, much nicer than both Ms I recently drove - by far! I like everything about the car with the exception of the cup holders and lack of storage space in the cabin. What I like the most is the powerful torque at low rpm that both the M5 and M3 sorely lack, and the super nice ride and handling that if offers - all in one perfectly tuned suspension. This car is just awesome!
richschneid commented:
August 19, 2010, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
The strategy has worked on me too. Every time I have been in the market for a new car I've looked at BMWs and every single time I've walked away from buying one for a variety of reasons. This time I was about to go buy something else again even after test driving both the 2009 M5 (super deal offered) and 2010 M3. In my opinion, the 2011 550i with a 6 speed manual and Sport Package that I just test drove is much, much nicer than both Ms I recently drove - by far! I like everything about the car with the exception of the cup holders and lack of storage space in the cabin. What I like the most is the powerful torque at low rpm that both the M5 and M3 sorely lack, and the super nice ride and handling that if offers - all in one perfectly tuned suspension. This car is just awesome!
Make sure you check out the IAS and DHP before you decide you don't want them.
lindros2 commented:
August 19, 2010, 8:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
The implied logic is that for every former E39 or E60 owner who is disappointed in the F10's driving feel, there will be other folks who have never owned a BMW, but revel in the car.
This quote best describes BMW's F10 strategy.

The steering is a bit light for me (coming from a GT-R), but I'll get used to it.

The navi and radio-with-a-mind-of-its-own is a pain in the hide, but I'll ignore it.
Munich77 commented:
August 19, 2010, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
This quote best describes BMW's F10 strategy.

The steering is a bit light for me (coming from a GT-R), but I'll get used to it.

The navi and radio-with-a-mind-of-its-own is a pain in the hide, but I'll ignore it.
Totally agree BMW is trying to expand its customer base by not just targeting the die-hard fans. The die-hards are ultimately likely to end up buying a new BMW anyhow.
alex_c commented:
August 19, 2010, 8:59 pm

After a few BMW's in the past, I stopped looking at BMW after 2003. I didn't like the new models too much, and the interior seemed a little bare-bones compared with other cars in the same price range. In 2008 I got an E92 (3-series coupe, for those not too familiar with chasis names...) mostly because of the beautiful lines and the fantastic coral red interior. At that time I looked at the 5's and 6's and did not like the exterior, and the interior even less... This time I was seriously thinking about the new MB E-Class, most likely the Coupe. After test driviing it a few times, I couldn't believe how un-connected with the road it felt compared with my 3. Then I thought about a new 2011 335, but after seeing, feeling and driving the 535, I fell in love with it.

For me, the strategy worked, and I got exactly what I wanted: a beautifully executed vehicle, elegant looks, fun to drive, and an interior that reflects the upscale elegance and refinement that a vehicle in this class should have.

I'm so much in love with this car, that today I had my dealer perform the first oil change at only 1400 miles, right after the 1200 break-in period. Yes, I know it may be excessive, but I intend to keep this car at least for the next 5 or 6 years and want it to be perfect.
E60 550i commented:
August 19, 2010, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
There have been a number of threads commenting on the fact that many (though certainly not all) long-time BMW owners feel the F10 has lost some of its inherent "BMW-ness". These often conclude with the comment that BMW must be trying to broaden the 5er's appeal to a broader market. Lexus owners are frequently cited as part of the new target market.

The implied logic is that for every former E39 or E60 owner who is disappointed in the F10's driving feel, there will be other folks who have never owned a BMW, but revel in the car. (And despite the griping, many or most of the BMW faithful will get an F10 anyway since it's still the only mid-size luxury car with a roundel).

Based on your experience, maybe the new strategy is a winner after all.

PS: If you pull the trigger on the F10, make sure you join BMWCCA. It will add to your enjoyment of this car, and save you a considerable amount when you get your next BMW.
At first, I wasn't overly enthused with my F10 aftr owning e39s and an e60. However, as the days go by, I am more than satisfied with the F10. While the steering and handling don't match the previous 5s, the interior, twin turbo and overall refinement are quite pleasing.
5Xwen commented:
August 20, 2010, 11:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
There have been a number of threads commenting on the fact that many (though certainly not all) long-time BMW owners feel the F10 has lost some of its inherent "BMW-ness". These often conclude with the comment that BMW must be trying to broaden the 5er's appeal to a broader market. Lexus owners are frequently cited as part of the new target market.

The implied logic is that for every former E39 or E60 owner who is disappointed in the F10's driving feel, there will be other folks who have never owned a BMW, but revel in the car. (And despite the griping, many or most of the BMW faithful will get an F10 anyway since it's still the only mid-size luxury car with a roundel).

Based on your experience, maybe the new strategy is a winner after all.

PS: If you pull the trigger on the F10, make sure you join BMWCCA. It will add to your enjoyment of this car, and save you a considerable amount when you get your next BMW.
You certainly connected with a lot of people with this post - judging by all the replies.

What I find most interesting is that if a buyer is disappointed in the F10's driving feel - what other choice do they have? You can certainly go smaller with a 3 series, or wait for the new 3. You could also wait for the new M5. Many folks do not want to wait, and feel the M5 will be too expensive.

IMO, the Lexus, Mercedes and Audi's are not equal to the F10 as a "driver's car." The Infiniti or Jag are interesting choices - but fall short based on resale value, refinement and other areas. YMMV.
MooseF10 commented:
August 20, 2010, 4:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon95 View Post
free from GM.

- How long does it typically take to get a special order 5er? The dealer said it would be about a month, but that seems too short of a timeframe to get a car built and shipped across the Atlantic.
I ordered mine 3 days ago and got production week 42 which is late October. Car won't arrive at my dealer until mid December.
aavora commented:
August 20, 2010, 6:22 pm

F10 is truly impressive. I test drove it but after many sleepless nights, decided on the 3er, could not justify the cost of the F10.

Regarding the dealer, I highly recommend BMW of Fairfax and specifically Abed Abutaa. He is a thorough gentleman, has all the patience in the world and will respect you as a customer. I went to him with the intention of buying the F10 and ultimately bought the 3er and I did not see any change in his attitude towards me. Moreover he had said he will meet the best price I can get from any other dealer and he was true to his word. Good luck!
cBeam commented:
August 20, 2010, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseF10 View Post
I ordered mine 3 days ago and got production week 42 which is late October. Car won't arrive at my dealer until mid December.
Looks like BMW is selling a lot of F10s!

To the OP: If you go for the F10, you should also consider to do a European Delivery (ED). You would be able to combine getting a great car, driving it on the German Autobahn, and having a nice vacation over there. And there is an about 7% discount if you pick up your car in Munich.

Downside: It takes longer to get your car stateside, but looking at your current garage that might not be such a big issue.
markl53 commented:
August 20, 2010, 10:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseF10 View Post
I ordered mine 3 days ago and got production week 42 which is late October. Car won't arrive at my dealer until mid December.
I ordered my 535i on 7/24 and it entered production on 7/26. My dealer modified an order already placed. It seems strange that you would wait so long for a production date. You might be working with a low volume dealer that has no "pull" with allocation. I would ask what is the holdup.
gryphon95 commented:
August 23, 2010, 8:53 am

Hey, guys - Here's the update. Clearly, the BMW strategy worked on me because I'm pulling the trigger this morning. I'm going to ask my dealer to do a last search to see if there is a car with the exact features that can be traded. That is highly unlikely. So, assuming that the dealer can find one, I'll be placing my order. I know the wait will be pretty long, but -- hopefully -- time will pass quickly (yeah, I know it will pass by about as slow as molasses!). I want to take delivery at the Performance Delivery Center, but I'll need to find out how that works since it looks like my car will be delivered in the late Fall / early Winter time-frame.

Thanks for all of your recommendations and guidance. I can't wait to have my own new F10.
MooseF10 commented:
August 23, 2010, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I ordered my 535i on 7/24 and it entered production on 7/26. My dealer modified an order already placed. It seems strange that you would wait so long for a production date. You might be working with a low volume dealer that has no "pull" with allocation. I would ask what is the holdup.

Actually, I am working with one of the largest dealers in the country. Orders are controlled by the sales manager. My mistake was letting them know I was waiting for the M Sport pkg. They would not let me place a sep production order and hope that the M package would become available while the order was still in a modification status. They did not want to risk a tie up of their allocation by letting a customer keep placing orders until the M Sport was available. The real problem came down to BMW itself. They announced the M Sport package in July with their September production changes but they refused to alert the dealers of when M Sport could be ordered. My dealer was on BMW NA everyday for a month trying to place my order and BMW NA would not give them any indication of when they could place my order. My dealer had plenty of 550's on their allocation but they are selling them like crazy. Week 42 was the first available once M Sport became available. Maybe my dealer is too large. I would bet there are dealers out there with unsold Sep 550 allocations. BTW, Porsche told me a 3 month wait for delivery of any model.
Munich77 commented:
August 23, 2010, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon95 View Post
Hey, guys - Here's the update. Clearly, the BMW strategy worked on me because I'm pulling the trigger this morning. I'm going to ask my dealer to do a last search to see if there is a car with the exact features that can be traded. That is highly unlikely. So, assuming that the dealer can find one, I'll be placing my order. I know the wait will be pretty long, but -- hopefully -- time will pass quickly (yeah, I know it will pass by about as slow as molasses!). I want to take delivery at the Performance Delivery Center, but I'll need to find out how that works since it looks like my car will be delivered in the late Fall / early Winter time-frame.

Thanks for all of your recommendations and guidance. I can't wait to have my own new F10.
Congratulations on the order. What options did you get and from where are you buying it? Now all you need to do is join the BMW Car Club of America .