BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is the new 1M Coupe really a ///M?

Tags
1 series m
35K views 224 replies 54 participants last post by  mujjuman 
#1 ·
Yes I know there is a lot more to a ///M car (or truck) than just the engine. However, looking under the hood of the new 1 ///M coupe revealed something startling! Boy this engine looks a hell of a lot like the N54 unit in my 335i, but it states that it is "Powered by BMW M"

What gives!?!?. Is my 335i a ///M? Where can I buy that sticker?

Read more news about the New BMW 1 Series M Coupe

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I don't exactly understand how its a return to roots when it makes max torque at like 1,500rpm. ///M cars aren't even fun until 4k-5k rpm.

#10 ·
I don't exactly understand how its a return to roots when it makes max torque at like 1,500rpm. ///M cars aren't even fun until 4k-5k rpm.
:dunno: Really? I think I could have fun in an ///M even under 4k RPMs...does the 335i really spoil you that badly? Perhaps another good reason not to get one. :angel:

#8 ·
Given the M3 has had 4, 6 and 8 cyl engines throughout it's history I think it's fine to see alternative engines offered (including forced induction) in M cars. It's more about the car as a whole package and has e92Subarine said, it does look like a blast to drive.

#9 ·
It's supposed to be a track monster. I'm betting it'll beat the pants off of most cars that dare to show up on the track (excepting the like of hard-core Lotuses (lotusi?), Porsche Cayman S's, etc.).

#15 ·
No.

#17 ·
I like the chassis improvements and diff, and the body kit looks good. Still....don't M-cars usually get some kind of "special" M-engine? This is the same engine they used to sell in the 135i with a software tune and a sticker. I'm sure it's a great car...but that doesn't sound very M.

And, while I love my turbo in my daily driver, especially at my altitude, the predictability and linearity of a normall aspirated motor are better on the track. This should have the I6 from the old M3.

#23 ·
At least they kept the white gauges ... no variable redline either.

#22 ·
What constitutes an ///M car?

Some would argue that the E36 M3 wasn't really an ///M car, since the U.S. version of the S50B32 and S52B32 were heavily de-tuned and nothing more than a simple M50 block with upgraded valve-train. Some would argue that the E46 M3 has lost the soul of the M3 because it was so damn porky. Some would argue the E9X M3 doesn't use the "traditional" high revving inline 6.

And take a look a the X5M and X6M. The Motorsports division has long held the stance that 1) there will be no AWD ///M and 2) there will be no ///M with automatic transmission after the E36 M3 fiasco. That was why the LeMans X5 was never given the ///M moniker despite having all of the M division's trickery up its sleeves. Are the new X5M and X6M not M cars?

At the end of the day, ///M is what Motorsports says it is. If it means taking the same series and upgrading the suspension and tuning the same engine and slapping on a body-kit means it's an ///M, then that's what it is. Since what makes an ///M an ///M is no longer the same definition they used to use to define what and ///M is.

So what constitutes an ///M car? ///M, stands for Marketing. Since anything equipped with an N54 can't possibly compete on the track in Motorsports.

#24 ·
At the end of the day, ///M is what Motorsports says it is. If it means taking the same series and upgrading the suspension and tuning the same engine and slapping on a body-kit means it's an ///M, then that's what it is. Since what makes an ///M an ///M is no longer the same definition they used to use to define what and ///M is.

So what constitutes an ///M car? ///M, stands for Marketing. Since anything equipped with an N54 can't possibly compete on the track in Motorsports.
Seconded.
This argument is about as silly as arguing if the Lexus LFA is a proper Lexus or if the new Lincoln SUV is really a Lincoln or just a Ford Edge or if some new Audi is is actually an Audi because it uses a VW chasis.

The 1M is an M car because it is made by the M-division. It's a brand. They could slap it on a Mini and call it an M...an M2...hmmm

#25 · (Edited)
Yes it was developed by the M group. Yes it is a true M car, with totally new lightweight aluminum suspension, M3 brakes, M rear locking diff, M3 19" Performance wheels and an M tuned N54 engine. The car also weighs less than 3300lbs, about the same as my 05 WRX STi. While the current M3 weighs almost 3700lbs.

It is also the first BMW to give back faith to me that BMW may stop the bloat in every series by constant increases in overall size and weight of the cars. My 335i feels like a large car compared to my STi, big and bloated, it's as large as the 5 series from just two revision ago.

By the way, all future M cars will be low revving Turbo cars. What does high revs buy you anyway? Low response in the lower rev range, must be kept revved up to be in the power band. It's Torque that you feel when you are pushed in to the seats on acceleration not HP and the Turbo engines have loads of Torque from low revs to high revs. The e46 M3 drank oil like an alcoholic, but it did rev to 8300 rpm's. So what?

I have a deposit on a new 1M, can't wait for it.

#31 ·
Having all that torque down low means there's nothing up high which means it's going to suck for the track. A high low end means an empty mid to high end. The M3's engine is praised because torque builds from 4000 all the way to as ssccrreeaammiinngg 8300.

#27 ·
Isn't it up to BMW to decide which cars wear the ///M ?

Sorry, I didn't mean to spoil the party.

How's this " How dare they do this without consulting us?
They're diluting the ///M. the M-Sport package was bad enough, but this, this will not stand."

Do you think we can sue? Or would a boycott be more effective?

jummo

#29 ·
Isn't it up to BMW to decide which cars wear the ///M ?

Sorry, I didn't mean to spoil the party.

How's this " How dare they do this without consulting us?
They're diluting the ///M. the M-Sport package was bad enough, but this, this will not stand."

Do you think we can sue? Or would a boycott be more effective?

jummo
Honestly, I left BMW because they have lost their direction. Pick up my car Late Jan, Early Feb.

#34 ·
That would be by your definition of what makes an M car. An M car is whatever BMW M division says it is and since the world and the markets change, so must the definition of an M car.

I'm unwilling to pan it sight unseen, unlike apparently a lot of people here.

#40 ·
I don't understand the objection to turbochargers. They're the future of powerful motors. You can get big, usable power without big displacement and still return respectable fuel mileage to boot.

I do find it funny that you're going to a manufacturer that was a huge pioneer in turbocharging in motorsport and production car applications.

#41 ·
It's simply a matter of laziness, actually. I'd rather see the M division massage 100hp/liter not using a turbo/supercharger. That is what they used to do, that is what they were known for, as well as hand assembling all S series engines. I never said I would get any turbo model P car, so you made an assumption there.

#48 ·
Well said, Thumper. I think we all have a bit of nostalgia for what performance cars once were (uncompromised, built for enthusiasts/motorsports, to a singular focus and ideal) but the fact is that the world has changed. We have stringent emissions and safety requirements and, for better or worse, the cars have to change with them.

We also have manufacturers that have streamlined their ability to cater to a wider audience and unfortunately, the average BMW or Porsche owner doesn't want a 964 RS or E30 M3. It's a shame for us handful of enthusiasts but it's the direction of new cars unless you want to buy a new Elise or are willing to pony up for any number of exotics starting in the GT3 RS price point.

So we have two choices: Accept what new cars have become or buy one of your dream cars that once were. I think this is why I like my current garage so much. I can appreciate the ease of power of the 335d. Yes, it's a bit distilled, the steering weight is a bit artificial, and the engine tone sounds more engineered than natural, but it's largely enjoyable to drive and it makes my morning commute to the office relaxing if I so choose without having to resort to buying an appliance like a Lexus or having to compromise and deal with an older car with less sound deadening, no Bluetooth/heated seats/cupholders, etc. If I really want to drive, the 993 is always there and there will never be another new car like that, much like there won't be another S14 M3.

For those looking Porsche's way, I previously owned a 997. They're fantastic cars, light years ahead of the older cars in chassis development and the engines are smoother and make more power everywhere in the powerband. That said, the car felt like a sharper 3-series. Too much luxury, too many compromises, too much spend on catering to executives rather than weekend track junkies. At least with me 335, the car doesn't lie to its core buyers as to what it is. At least, that's my opinion.

#49 ·
///M is for money. I have it and I'm going to flaunt it. That's the mental model many owners will have. Not saying all owners, but other than the 1M and M3, the other M cars are pure for show and tell. You think the X5M, M5, M6, and X6M owners are taking their cars on track day or flashing it at the valet spot. The M3 is the ideal sports car, although it seems to get bigger each year, anything larger was simply designed to satisfy the dominant male.

#54 · (Edited)
+1000. I see more X6M and X5M in San Francisco than any other M car - and these have only been out for a year tops. That's more than all current body style M3+M5+M6 combined.

Not going to lie, I love the status my S4 gives me for $47,000. It's an extremely sharp, head turning car. And it can do this:

Attachments

#52 ·
Yes I know there is a lot more to a ///M car (or truck) than just the engine. However, looking under the hood of the new 1 ///M coupe revealed something startling! Boy this engine looks a hell of a lot like the N54 unit in my 335i, but it states that it is "Powered by BMW M"

What gives!?!?. Is my 335i a ///M? Where can I buy that sticker?
I'm saying it's not an ///M. An ///M car needs a hand built race motor. This is an ///M sport package for a regular car.

#61 ·
Comparison on the Nurburgring

BMWs Compared:

* E46 M3 CSL - 7:50
* E90/E92 M3 - 8:05
* E63 M6 - 8:09
* 1 series M coupe - 8:12
* Z4 M-Coupe - 8:12
* E60 M5 - 8:13
* Alpina B3 Biturbo - 8:14
* Z4 M-Roadster - 8:15
* Alpina Roadster S (Z4) - 8:15
* E46 M3 - 8:22
* 335i E92 Coupe - 8:26

Other Models Compared:

* 911 Carrera S PDK (997.5) - 7:50
* Audi R8 4.2 - 8:04
* Cayman S - 8:04 (by Walter Röhrl)
* Audi RS4 - 8:09
* Audi TT-RS - 8:09
* BMW 1 series M coupe - 8:12
* Aston Martin V8 Vantage - 8:13
* Mercedes C63 AMG PP - 8:13
* Corvette C6 - 8:15
* Cayman S - 8:16 (Sport Auto)
* Porsche Boxter S (987.5) - 8:18
* Lexus IS-F - 8:18
* 2010 VW Golf R - 8:23
* Audi S5 (2007) - 8:26
* Audi TT-S (2008) - 8:29

#64 ·
Comparison on the Nurburgring

BMWs Compared:

* E46 M3 CSL - 7:50
* E90/E92 M3 - 8:05
* E63 M6 - 8:09
* 1 series M coupe - 8:12
* Z4 M-Coupe - 8:12
* E60 M5 - 8:13
* Alpina B3 Biturbo - 8:14
* Z4 M-Roadster - 8:15
* Alpina Roadster S (Z4) - 8:15
* E46 M3 - 8:22
* 335i E92 Coupe - 8:26

Other Models Compared:

* 911 Carrera S PDK (997.5) - 7:50
* Audi R8 4.2 - 8:04
* Cayman S - 8:04 (by Walter Röhrl)
* Audi RS4 - 8:09
* Audi TT-RS - 8:09
* BMW 1 series M coupe - 8:12
* Aston Martin V8 Vantage - 8:13
* Mercedes C63 AMG PP - 8:13
* Corvette C6 - 8:15
* Cayman S - 8:16 (Sport Auto)
* Porsche Boxter S (987.5) - 8:18
* Lexus IS-F - 8:18
* 2010 VW Golf R - 8:23
* Audi S5 (2007) - 8:26
* Audi TT-S (2008) - 8:29
It's putting down simply stunning times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.