BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is the new 1M Coupe really a ///M?

Tags
1 series m
35K views 224 replies 54 participants last post by  mujjuman 
#1 ·
Yes I know there is a lot more to a ///M car (or truck) than just the engine. However, looking under the hood of the new 1 ///M coupe revealed something startling! Boy this engine looks a hell of a lot like the N54 unit in my 335i, but it states that it is "Powered by BMW M"

What gives!?!?. Is my 335i a ///M? Where can I buy that sticker?

Read more news about the New BMW 1 Series M Coupe

Attachments

See less See more
#167 ·
To reiterate a post I made in the 1 series forum:

The first car to wear the "M" livery was the 2002 Turbo in 1974. It had a powerplant out of the 2002tii, with lowered compression and a KKK non-intercooled turbocharger. It was not a bespoke engine by any stretch of the imagination - just a regular production engine with a few bolt-on bits of forced aspiration, suspension parts, recaro seats, wheel arch extensions, and a different gauge cluster. The second was the M1, which was, indeed, a bespoke engine. Then came the M535i (NOT the same as the M5), which was also not a bespoke engine. The American-spec E36 M3 and Series 1 Z3M Roadster both had the 240 bhp 3.2Litre engine that was a modification of the 325i/328i engine of that era - M50 I believe - and that wasn't a bespoke engine, either.

The 1 Series M Coupe (try saying that 3 times fast!) may have a "production" engine, but it's been tuned a la the Z35iS. It sports different suspension, fenders, front and rear air dams, brakes, and a true mechanical diff like all good M cars should.

As someone else said, these cars are "more than just the sum of [their] collective parts". An M is distinguished not by simple 0-60 times or braking distances but by an overall purity of balance, performance, and handling that isn't found in lesser models - no matter how many mods one puts on a base car, it's never quite an M unless you go to ridiculous lengths to get there, like installing a mechanical diff, getting rid of that awful electric steering, etc.

I, for one, am putting my name on the list for one of these as soon as possible - couldn't imagine a more interesting and current interpretation of the M philosophy. No, it will likely not be as raw as my E85 M Roadster or TheKurgan's E86 M Coupe, but given the emissions and pedestrian safety regulations with which new cars need to comply, it may be the closest thing we're going to find to the M philosophy in the years to come. I love my car, but it's three model years old, using technology that's eight model years old from the E46 M3. If we expect progress in other areas (safety and reliability being primary among them), we'll have to expect a little bit of generic-ising across the model range. Whilst the 1 Series M coupe doesn't have a coach-built engine, it will hopefully also NOT need valve shims every 20K miles or other heavy engine maintenance as our older, normally-aspirated, "race-bred" engines do.

Another small point - the 1 Series M Coupe, I'm told, weighs about 77lbs LESS than an E36 M3. Perhaps it's not so heavy after all.

As Colin Chapman said, "First, add lightness".

#170 ·
I think everyone would be singing praise for this car if BMW put the S54 in there instead of the N54, even if the car ended up performing worse as a result.

M knows what they're doing, and this car did get the full M treatment for its suspension. By all accounts this car drives really well, isn't that what matters ultimately?

Considering how much those suspension bits, differential, and brakes would cost aftermarket, I don't think a ~$10k increase over the 135i is a bad deal at all.

#171 ·
Wow, just look at all the responses...:)

This is going to be a very fun car to drive. Put an M on it, put an "s" on it, don't put anything on it; I could care less.

Take a strong motor, give it a bit more push (with overboost that can boost the torque to 500 nM - that's 368 lb-ft!), add the M3 suspension with a true mechanical LSD, widen the body (that's NOT cheap) - all for < $10K over a 135i - what's not to love? I really want to thank BMW for making this car.

Given there will be only approximately 1000 cars imported to the US, and the run is for one MY only, those of you who already hate the car won't really have to worry about it too much.

#172 · (Edited)
Motor is by historical precident unreliable; fuel pump on fourth redesign.

Steering is less connected than excellent mechanical system in z4m. 1er is heavier.

Car nut buddy just bought a 2010 Evo instead of the 135. It handled better and has better tuning potential.

So is the 1er capable, yeah. Equal? nah.

Will it be Fun (ish?) to drive? Maybe.

Bottom line... It's a German Civic with a tune and a body kit. IMHO.

Watch the definitive clip (loaded with *accurate* technical critique) here (resurrected):

definitive CLIP

#174 ·
All of the manufacturers have sold out and have abandoned their roots.

As far as I am concerned my 1992 Lexus SC300 was the last real Rebadged Toyota.

CA

#176 · (Edited)
C&D had a comparo involving the new 1 Series M coupe in the May, 2011 issue and while it did in fact win the comparo, it only achieved a 23 out of 25 in "Fun To Drive". To me that is the most significant finding.

With all the hype and seemingly endless waiting for this car to finally arrive, it only got a 23 out of 25 from a car magazine with a BMW bent and for me, that's not good enough.

Yes, I expected at least a 24 and possibly a 25.

When I read a C&D comparo, it is the "Fun To Drive" component all the way down at the bottom of the "Final Results" that I read first. Anything less than 24-I'm simply not interested.

In sum, the 1 Series M Sport coupe with all that hype-that it is the car all BMW enthusiasts are waiting for-gets a lukewarm "Fun To Drive" score from an important car magazine with a built-in BMW bias.

So, given that the last two times C&D rated an M3, the Fun To Drive score was 25 out of 25, I would say the 1 Series M coupe is only a pretender.

#177 ·
C&D had a comparo involving the new 1 Series M coupe in the May, 2011 issue and while it did in fact win the comparo, it only achieved a 23 out of 25 in "Fun To Drive". To me that is the most significant finding.

With all the hype and seemingly endless waiting for this car to finally arrive, it only got a 23 out of 25 from a car magazine with a BMW bent and for me, that's not good enough.

Yes, I expected at least a 24 and possibly a 25.

When I read a C&D comparo, it is the "Fun To Drive" component all the way down at the bottom of the "Final Results" that I read first. Anything less than 24-I'm simply not interested.

In sum, the 1 Series M Sport coupe with all that hype-that it is the car all BMW enthusiasts are waiting for-gets a lukewarm "Fun To Drive" score from an important car magazine with a built-in BMW bias.

So, given that the last two times C&D rated an M3, the Fun To Drive score was 25 out of 25, I would say the 1 Series M coupe is only a pretender.
While magazines are interesting to read, I think the final determination has to be actual seat-of-the-pants driving experience. I was not expecting the 1M to be in direct competition to the M3, as BMW has put too much into the M3 to hurt it's image by producing a lesser expensive and smaller carbon copy.

#179 ·
I have to say, I wasn't a believer when I first saw it. I didn't even want to consider the thought of a 1M... A COMPACT 1er?!

It's grown on me. Honestly, it's too small of a vehicle for what I need at this point in my life. If I were 'mr moneybags', I would definitely have one of these for the track/weekends.

#180 ·
+1 I love the idea of the car myself as well, but I am completely out of the market for it. I will admire it from a distance.

#181 ·
I don't understand the obsession of some of the people on this thread with NA engines and them being "true enthusiasts" engines.

Turbo engines were historically used in motorsports starting hell knows when. They used turbos in group B rally cars, they used them in F1 cars and so on.

I bet at the time "car enthusiasts" were crying "give us turbo engines" these NA engines don't have nearly enough torque for us. Yet, technology was in its prime and not reliable enough for even limited production consumer sports cars.

Now turbo is finally here and it's reliable . . . everyone wants NA engines. . .

How many of you track your car? . . . now how many of you drag with Mustangs from stop light?

#182 ·
I don't understand the obsession of some of the people on this thread with NA engines and them being "true enthusiasts" engines.

Turbo engines were historically used in motorsports starting hell knows when. They used turbos in group B rally cars, they used them in F1 cars and so on.

I bet at the time "car enthusiasts" were crying "give us turbo engines" these NA engines don't have nearly enough torque for us. Yet, technology was in its prime and not reliable enough for even limited production consumer sports cars.

Now turbo is finally here and it's reliable . . . everyone wants NA engines. . .

How many of you track your car? . . . now how many of you drag with Mustangs from stop light?
You are right that some people or groups will always complain, but I think the source of this particular debate is that ///M Gmbh once stated that they would always produce N/A high reving engines or something to that effect...and that they would produce unique engines to their line, so I think some people feel that is a bit of a betrayal of the traditional ///M badge.

I really don't have an issue with forced induction myself, but I can also see the complaint that this engine is simply just the same engine as the 335is with an M badge on it and some extra fuel mapping.

#183 · (Edited)

You don't have to race on the track to feel the performance difference between a typical 8 cylinder NA engine and a 6 cylinder with turbo(s). The larger displacement NA engine is smoother throughout the power band and pulls stronger at the get go, whereas the turbo engine hesitates and really likes the higher RPMs in order to ring out the performance.

They have also been using super chargers for many years and possibly even before turbos, and IMO, they are closer to a larger displacement NA engine in performance over an engine with a turbo. Much smoother and more responsive acceleration as compared to the turbo.

#194 ·
But the supercharger puts out what to me is an annoying whine. :thumbdwn:
Our S4 has no supercharger whine. But, I've driven a couple of Calloway Corvettes and Camaros, and they definitely have that whine that I don't like either. 6 cylinder Audi versus 8 cylinder Corvette/Camaro is probably the reason for the noise difference.

#184 ·
A few posts back, I was knocking the new 1M Coupe because it only got a 23/25 in C&D for "fun to drive." As others may have mentioned, this is a non-quantifiable number and is strictly subjective. However, I have found "fun to drive" pretty much in line with my own test drives of C&D comparo test vehicles. I hope some folks here gets to drive a 1M coupe and M3 coupe back to back and will post their findings on Bimmerfest.

As an aside, C&D also tested the BMW 750Li in a luxury sedan comparo and it came in dead last. The car got 6/10 in steering. This scares me. The new 5 Series was also criticized for its steering. Seems like a spreading infection and I doubt the next generation 3 Series will have immunity. The fun to drive component was only 16/25. I've never seen a BMW ever ranked that low.

#185 · (Edited)
Here is why I was totally turned off by those subjective metrics:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...gto_vs._2005_ford_mustang_gt-comparison_tests

In this comparison, the Pontiac GTO lost by one point to the newly restyled 2005 Mustang GT. The Pontiac GTO scored higher in just about everyway against the mustang except the "gotta-have-it" factor. The GTO had 18/25 and the mustang received 25/25 points. The only reason the Mustang "won" this comparo was the gotta have it factor. Those 7 extra gotta have it points swung the Mustang to a 1 point lead.

Ever since this article, I've personally considered those scores BS.

#189 · (Edited)
Well, I admit those comparos have a strong subjective element to them and maybe C&D is attempting to demonstrate they are not in bed with BMW after all.

Also I would venture a guess that most folks buying the 7 Series aren't eagerly waiting by their mailbox for the latest issue of C&D. In other words, 7 Series sales do not positively correlate with a last place finish in a C&D comparo.

However, if I was about to drive a 1M coupe for the first time, I would find the 23/25 disappointing-this should have been a grand slam dunk, no questions asked: 25/25.

#190 ·
Can you link that particular article? Or I guess I can search I guess on the website. Was there even any reason given for the 23/25 instead of a 25/25? I'm curious what other cars out there received 25/25 in the fun factor from C&D. Maybe C&D has only given out a few 25/25 scores in the fun factor category. If that is the case, then maybe a 23/25 is actually pretty good. I'm just spit balling here.

#191 · (Edited)
It's probably not on their website yet-the issue just came out-check C&D site in about 2 weeks-or go to your nearest mega-supermarket or bookstore and browse. They may have it in their magazine section-C&D, May, 2011.

#200 ·
#201 ·
I think BMW should stop putting everything with the M badge. For my personal thinking, the new 1M coupe is just a 135i upgrade version. It doesn't have an unique engine that belong to its class. It is different from the E30, E36 and E46 M3. You won't find the same of similar engine in any non-M car. Can I say my ZHP is a 3M car ? definitely not ! I prefer to save more money to buy a real M car instead of this fake version, period !

#207 · (Edited)
Well plainly speaking it IS an M car, because BMW has designated it as such and ///M Gmbh has allowed it. Just because it breaks tradition, the engine is borrowed from other standard BMWs, the suspension lifted from an M3, or whatever else, it doesn't change how BMW has approached the 1er M coupe. No one has to like it, or a agree, but it is what it is, and tranditionalists can't change it.

Finally the 1er has been around in Germany for a lot longer than the US, usually as a 5 door hatch, and mostly diesels. As with most things, North America only gets a fraction of what BMW truly offers, and the 1 series might be a joke in North America but it makes sense here, especially with the expanded line of 1 series offerings.

FWIW ///M sport packages are nothing new either.

#209 ·
Well plainly speaking it IS an M car, because BMW has designated it as such and ///M Gmbh has allowed it. Just because it breaks tradition, the engine is borrowed from other standard BMWs, the suspension lifted from an M3, or whatever else, it doesn't change how BMW has approached the 1er M coupe. No one has to like it, or a agree, but it is what it is, and tranditionalists can't change it.....
+1

I agree but in the final analysis I prefer to focus on the car and not get hung up on names.

I find the 1M to be compelling.

Aggressive distinctive styling that clearly conveys speed and athletic prowess.

Short wheel base, super quick steering, M3 pack with monster Michelins and brakes

Powerful N54 - 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds and offering great flexibility.
(Spirited mountain jousts at 8/10s should be pure driving pleasure).

A purposeful interior that comfortably accommodates my 6' 3" frame + space for luggage and canine.

Fully loaded for less than $60K.

BMW calls it M - I call it sensational.

#208 ·
News flash: No one here gets to decide what an M car is or not. BMW does. This is how it works - BMW designs and makes the cars - you just get to look at them, buy them, drive them or not. That's the limit of your official involvement in the process. Sorry to disappoint you.

#210 ·
Their company, but we can certainly voice our opinions.

I just don't get what the target market is for the 1 series? It's small and expensive. The size would be best suited for a high school kid, but the price is too high for most. I know from my own kids and their friends who are now college graduates, that they feel the 1 series is a kiddie car that looks weird. So, who is buying these cars?

We live in an affluent area where there are many BMWs of most varieties, like they are giving them away. I have only seen one 1 Series on the road in the past 5 weeks. The two dealers I visited during the last two weeks had none on their lots.

#214 ·
I believe China has surpassed North America in market for BMW, and wouldn't be surprised of many of the 1s are being sent there. Just a thought. I think the best, funnest BMW right now is the 128i, but that's only because we don't get the 116/118/120d here :(

#215 ·
I think the 1 is a compelling car because it is more in line with the early 3's. The 3 has gotten pretty large and expensive. I'm not sure why the smaller size car makes it more for "high school kids". I've had a 6, two 5's, a 3 and now a MINI. I like having a small car in the family and I really like the size of the early 3s. I think a stripped down 1 is logical. Loading it up with a lot of features is what makes it questionable for the price, I think.

BTW - The automotive press seems to loving the 1M. Part of it is size to power.

#217 ·
I think the 1 is a compelling car because it is more in line with the early 3's. The 3 has gotten pretty large and expensive. I'm not sure why the smaller size car makes it more for "high school kids". I've had a 6, two 5's, a 3 and now a MINI. I like having a small car in the family and I really like the size of the early 3s. I think a stripped down 1 is logical. Loading it up with a lot of features is what makes it questionable for the price, I think.

BTW - The automotive press seems to loving the 1M. Part of it is size to power.
I had a 1979 320i and don't remember it being as small and cramped as the 1 series feels to me. In fact, it was a very comfortable car with ample leg room for my 6'4" body.

I agree that BMW should make a stripped down version of the 3 Series, and preferably, only available with a manual transmission.

I really like the retro looks of the Mini Coopers and considered looking at them in memory of the two MGs I used to have. But alas, it was too cramped inside for me.

The small car in our family is my ZO6! :thumbup:

#216 ·
Change the entire car but leave the engine the same and magically it's not an ///M.
Whatever :tsk:

#218 ·
The 3 Series is too large, heavy and only getting larger. For a single person or someone wanting a second car, something the size of the 1 Series makes perfect sense. It's a shame they don't bring the hatchbacks to the US.

#219 ·
Yes, I agree, in fact, we had a conversation about this (wife) and we decided that BMW is one company that should look at their previous designs and maybe do a modernized version. Unlike the following who should NOT bring back old designs:

Dodge (challenger/charger) ugly in the 60/70s, still ugly

Ford (mustang) ibid

Chevy (camero), sorry, ugly as $hit ...

We decided to look for an E9 and maybe start either a restoration project or find one 90%+ restored:

#221 · (Edited)
I agree, and I like the new cars too, but I don't mind the retro themes in a lot of cars. They are only considered retro, because along the way the cars in question deviated too much from their classical look.

We don't consider 911s or Corvettes "retro" eventhough they do look very similar to their 60s and 70s counter parts (especially 911s).

Cars like the Mustang or Camaro had huge visual changes from generation to generation so they get slapped with the increasingly negative retro label for going back and borrowing from their original look.

Take the BMW 2002 in the picture, it doesn't take a huge mental leap to see that it is related to the 3 series. But compare the look of a '68, '72, '75, '85, and '95 Mustang; if you didn't know any better (or could see the pony badges), you might not know they were all the same line of car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.