Watch BMW Build your X3 at their Spartanburg Plant

by Tim Jones on January 20, 2011, 6:29 pm
  tags:
x3 f25 x3 f25
Starting on January 20, BMW customers will have unique access to the creation of their custom-made BMW X3 vehicles via an online video portal that will show them footage of their customized X3 being produced at the company's plant in Spartanburg, SC.

"Customization is essential to the new BMW X3. With more than 10 million distinct configurations available, we wanted to get customers excited about the birth of their unique vehicle," said Trudy Hardy, Manager, BMW Marketing Communications and Consumer Events, BMW of North America. "This production footage of the BMW X3 vehicles from our Spartanburg plant enhances the overall customer experience that is part of the BMW brand."

Customers can view the footage by creating a My BMW account on bmwusa.com and entering their X3 order number or VIN. Using seven cameras in BMW's South Carolina plant, BMW deliver X3 customers with video that tracks their vehicle through the various stages of final assembly. The video does not have an expiration date, giving consumers round-the-clock access to the assembly footage, and the video can also be downloaded and shared with interested friends and family members.

Available this month, the new BMW X3 builds on the success of its first generation counterpart, offering drivers increased space, functionality, efficiency and comfort. The first BMW X model to be equipped with electro-mechanical power steering as standard equipment, the vehicle also offers owners the option of Dynamic Driving Control and BMW ConnectedDrive driver assistance systems.

Follow our full F25 X3 coverage at http://www.bimmerfest.com/tag/F25

8 responses to Watch BMW Build your X3 at their Spartanburg Plant

yaderhey commented:
January 24, 2011, 12:40 pm

I'm not seeing the links to these videos, and my X3 is currently in production. Ideas?
maestroX2 commented:
January 24, 2011, 1:22 pm

under Digital Library in myBMW page on left side. The video won't be available after they complete assemble them. Patience.
yaderhey commented:
January 24, 2011, 1:28 pm

Kinda defeats the purpose to show you videos after they're done building it, doesn't it?

And another thing, they talk about all this customization, but my dealer told me that the only trim option available with the leatherette seats is aluminum (no wood). Similarly, I could get heated seats, but only if I bought a heated steering wheel, too.

I feel like BMW's PR effort is lining up with their real-world offerings.
Killjoy commented:
January 25, 2011, 12:05 am

Cool idea, but it would be much more satisfying if you could get the footage relatively "real time." i.e. As soon as some footage was done, it was passed on to the customer.
SD Z4MR commented:
February 1, 2011, 5:33 am

I can understand why BMW might not want actual live footage. What if there was some malfunction and you watched your vehicle get jacked up during construction? This assures that if your car was built successfully you'll get a video of that build. If something happens during construction, you'll get a video of the car that was built to replace that one and you won't know the difference. Most customers will be happy and won't have to undergo trauma from watching something malfunction live during their build. Just a thought.
Evlengr commented:
February 1, 2011, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
There is also the litigation issues that could come up later with multiple things. Bad build, worker liablity, etc...

Sad but true. This way they can edit it to a nice sterile version.
Lotus7 commented:
February 5, 2011, 1:23 am

My X3 35i was finished on Feb. 1 (7-weeks after order placement). Just got the email notice that the video was ready for viewing. The video is mostly the "stock" footage that has been on line since the Spartanburg plant started producing X3s with a few seconds of my actual car inserted. The inserts are the windshield being popped in place, the body and driveline being bolted together and the car being released from the production line carrier and being rolled out on it's own tires. Possibly 15 seconds of the 3.5-minute video is actually my car. The inserts are labeled with the elapsed time from the start of production, with my car taking "38 hours".

It's a nice souvenir of the production process, but shows far less of my actual car than I was expecting. 15 seconds of a 38 hour assembly really does not show very much. I did burn it to a DVD and will save it with the car's receipts and service records for the next owner.

According to the BMW NA phone service, the car is now "in transit to your BMW Center", so hopefully, I should be seeing it early next week. The video is nice, but I'd rather have the car!
underway commented:
February 21, 2011, 3:34 pm

Is this available on Canadian website?