BMW F30 3 Series Sedan Frequently Asked Questions - Read Me

by Tim Jones on February 19, 2012, 8:42 pm
Bimmerfest.com answer commonly asked questions about the 2012/2013 BMW F30 3 Series Sedan. If you have additional questions post them below and we will do our best to answer them. More frequently asked questions to come!

What does F30 stand for?
It is BMW's internal chassis development code. The sixth generation 3 series sedan is the F30, the touring will be the F31, the coupe will be the F32 and the convertible will be the F33.

What are the 3 Series "Lines" (Sport, Modern and Luxury)?
BMW completely changed around the packages and options and the way you buy the car for the F30. You select a line that reflect you and the car 'charter' you want from your 3 series. Each line has line specific color choices and included equipment. For example the Sport Line comes with sport suspension. See our Lines explained in photos thread for more details.

BMWUSA.com Configurator seems to be missing options?
BMW has still not resolved issues with the configurator. It gives you a good idea of how you can Line, Package and Option your F30 but does have some flaws. For example the 328i Sport Line defaulty (based on pricing) adds the M Adaptive suspension dampeners but doesn't list the option anywhere. For the complete options reference the complete BMW F30 ordering guide

Is there an Naturally Aspirated (non turbo) engine option?
No. The two main engine options in the US are the N20 inline 4 cylinder twinpower turbo engine making 245 horsepower for the 328i and the N55 inline 6 cylinder twinpower turbo engine making 300 horsepower for the 335i.

Will my car have a front license plate mount from the factory?
Car produced from November 2011 through mid-January 2012 had a factory installed front plate mount. Starting mid-January BMW eliminated the rather large front plate mount and started producing a more typical front plate holder. The new front plate holder will be shipped with the car to be installed by your dealership. If you don't want it installed make sure you tell your dealer sale person before your car gets to the dealer. More info and pictures of the different plate frames here

What are the brakes on the F30?
The 328i has single piston floating calipers on all four wheels. 335i gets upgraded to 4 piston fixed caliper up front and single piston floating caliper in the rear. For complete brakes specs see the F30 Complete Specifications thread

Is the F30 sedan chassis stiffer then the E90 sedan chassis?
Yes, the F30 sedan is 30% stiffer then the E90

Is the US getting F30 diesel models?
There will not appear to be a diesel 2013 model at this time but we know BMW is considering adding them. No official word yet, I don't think BMW has decided which way they're going to go. The E90 diesel models sold reasonably well but not great and the Active Hybrid 3 offers great gas mileage for those that looked to diesel for the MPG. What is telling is that there is no F10 5 series diesel yet either, and the F10 has been out for over a model year now. It's possible BMW is simply working on a new diesel engine to offer in both the F30 and F10, for now we will have to wait and see.

Is the wagon/touring coming to the US?
Yes, the touring will arrive in US dealerships in the spring of 2013. Get more information on the 2013 BMW F31 Touring from the press release. Stay tuned for US specifications and pricing.

When can I get an F30 Active Hybrid 3?
Active Hybrid 3 series will start arriving in the US in September of 2012 as 2013 model years.

Can I order a BMW Individual F30 (custom exterior/interior colors)?
BMW has not released the BMW Individual catalog yet. There are more colors becoming available on the F30 starting with March 2012 production. Sometime after that seems reasonable.

How are the run flat tires on the F30?
The F30 uses the third generation run flat tires, which are a massive improvement over previous run flats. The weight of the wheel and tires is now comparable to standard tires and the road noise and 'banging' over bumps is eliminated. If you didn't know they were run flats you probably could not tell.

Will DCT (Double Clutch Transmission) be offered as an option?
Not in the near term (2012-2014). BMW says the 8 speed automatic sports transmission offers the same performance. And for now BMW wants to keep DCT for M cars only (the F80/F81/F82/F83 M3 will have DCT). I wouldn't be surprised if BMW offered it on a "IS" or "performance" package some time in the future but that is years off.

Will we see new engines in the near future, like what happened with the E90?
No. The N20 4 cylinder is a brand new motor and the N55 6 cylinder started going into cars in 2009. They're both new engines, unlike the motors in the 325/330 E90 sedans. Will we see a power bump, perhaps through BMW M Performance Parts? I would say it is likely, but power increases are something BMW tends to hold back and release to keep the model fresh. I wouldn't expect power increases from BMW for at least a year. Aftermarket tuners will have power for you much sooner!

Will we see a power bump in the 6 cylinder N55 powered 335i?
No. The N55 will retain the current 300 horsepower, 300 foot pounds of torque at least until the 2014 model year. BMW may offer a power kit sooner.

What is the default Driver Experience mode (Eco-pro, Comfort, Sport, Sport+)?
The F30 defaults to Comfort driving mode each time the car is restarted. Annoyingly it does not remember your driving mode and there is no way to set a default.

Can I set my default Driving Experience Mode - i.e. I always want to be in Sport Mode?
No, the car defaults to Comfort Mode each time the car is restarted. There is no way to change the default mode.

What BMW M Performance Parts are going to be available for the F30?
Intitially BMW M Performance Parts for the F30 will be limited. BMW is launching with -
  • Black kidney grilles
  • M Performance exhaust systems
  • M Performance brakes
  • Carbon fiber front splitters
  • M Performance steering wheel

The initial parts will go on sale mid-March 2012. More parts will be rolled out with 2013 model year mid-summer 2012.

BMW xDrive All Wheel Drive F30 Frequently Asked Questions


When will all wheel drive / xDrive be available on the F30?
Both 335i and 328i will be available in all wheel drive xDrive starting July 2012. Manual transmission will likely be available on the 328i xDrive, don't count on it for the 335i xDrive.

Can I get an xDrive in manual transmission
Manual transmission is a likely option on the 328i. 335i will be 8 speed automatic only.

Will sport suspension be offered on xDrive 328i/335i?
Yes. You will be able to get sport suspension but it will not lower the ride height.

Will M Adaptive Sport Suspension will variable dampers be available on xDrive 328i/335i?
Yes. You will be able to add the M Adaptive dampers.

M Sport Package Frequently Asked Questions


When can I get an M-Sport Package F30?
2013 F30 3 series sedans will start coming off the production line with the M sport package in July 2012 for August 2012 delivery. If you want one get your order in soon to get the first production spots.

What comes on the M Sport Package?
The M Sports Package is a visual, aerodynamic and interior upgrade package that includes -
  • Aerodynamics package with numerous body components
  • M Sport specific wheels in 18" with a 19" wheel option
  • M Sport suspension
  • Chromium tail pipes
  • BMW Individual High-gloss Shadowline trim
  • Exclusive Estoril Blue Metallic paint color available
  • M sill covers
  • Dark Shadow Metallic diffuser insert
  • M leather steering wheel
  • Short-shifter gear lever (manual transmission)
  • Aluminum Hexagon trim with blue accent strip
See the Complete M Sport Package Thread for more details

Will the M Sport increase the power for the 328i or 335i?
No. The M Sport is basically an aerodynamics and aesthetics package only. It does include increase cooling capabilities, the same as the Sport Line.

What are the M Sport brakes?
The M Sport Brakes will be a stand alone option for the M Sport or Sport Line. The 335i gets upgraded 4 piston fixed caliper and 14.6" rotors in the front and two piston fixed calipers over 13.6" rotors in the rear. The 328i M Sport brakes are smaller then the 335i. The front rotors are 13.4", rears are 13.6", despite the smaller rotors the 328i gets the fixed 4 piston front and 2 piston fixed rear calipers. The brakes come painted blue, no choice on the color.

No fog lights on the M Sport for the US, why?
The US has a greater range of climates then Europe and US drivers take their car to the track more then their European counterparts. To make sure the F30 M Sport can perform in all US conditions the fog lights were removed to increase cooling air to the radiators, intercooler and oil cooler.

Does the M Sport come standard with M Adaptive suspension?
No, it will be an option. Pricing is $900.00 for the option.

Does the M Sport come standard with M Sport Brakes ?
No, it will be an option. Pricing is TBD.

More frequently asked questions to come!


Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










80 responses to BMW F30 3 Series Sedan Frequently Asked Questions - Read Me

justinnum1 commented:
February 19, 2012, 8:56 pm

Also, the website configuartor is ****ed up, and missing optoins
tim330i commented:
February 19, 2012, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Also, the website configuartor is ****ed up, and missing optoins
Thanks for the suggestion. Added the FAQ and link to the complete F30 ordering guide.

Tim
the_fox commented:
February 19, 2012, 11:29 pm

Awesome list, it answered some questions I had and others I didn't even think of. Thanks for your effort Tim!
mr_clueless commented:
February 20, 2012, 12:44 am

The horsepower number for the N20 is incorrect as stated (245). Should be 240.
"BMW had decided" -> "BMW has decided".
"increase cooling capabilities" -> "increased cooling capabilities".
tim330i commented:
February 20, 2012, 12:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
The horsepower number for the N20 is incorrect as stated (245). Should be 240.

"BMW had decided" -> "BMW has decided".
Thanks for the heads up on the typo. For the HP numbers, BMW is all over the place. The owners manual, 3 series catalog, etc. all say 245 and I believe BMWUSA.com also use to state 245 as well.

End of the day I think 240 or 245 are underrated numbers from BMW. Check out these dynos if you haven't already -

InsideLine Dynos a 2012 328i and gets an amazing 240 horsepower & 257 foot pounds of torque at the wheels
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=601206

EAS Dynos a 2012 Mineral Gray BMW F30 328i and gets 226 horsepower and 230 foot pounds of torque at the wheels
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=600055
Lsg1114 commented:
February 20, 2012, 8:06 am

Thanks for the info. Do you think the xdrive will enter production at the beginning of July, like, say, July 1st? Ideally I'd like to take delivery in Germany on July 30th. I'm wondering how long it usually takes them to switch over from the 2012 model year to 2013.
tim330i commented:
February 20, 2012, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsg1114 View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you think the xdrive will enter production at the beginning of July, like, say, July 1st? Ideally I'd like to take delivery in Germany on July 30th. I'm wondering how long it usually takes them to switch over from the 2012 model year to 2013.
The issue isn't switch over time or anything else, it is if BMW is when BMW is going to start offering European Delivery of the F30 xDrive. For example the 328i and 335i rear wheel drive are currently being produced and sold, but BMW is not offering ED until after March 1st. No official reason given that I've heard.

My guess is they won't offer them that early for some reason, but I'd check with a dealer to see if they can get you an allocation.
Lsg1114 commented:
February 20, 2012, 11:47 am

I thought it was due to the official launch date being Feb. 11, and they were busy churning out cars so each dealer had some on their lots by then. It still doesn't fully explain the 2 additional week delay after launch, but I was assuming the xdrives won't have a launch of their own, and they would be made available soon after production. What has BMW done in the past?
okolisr commented:
February 24, 2012, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
When will all wheel drive / xDrive be available on the F30?
Both 335i and 328i will be available in all wheel drive xDrive starting July 2012. Manual transmission will likely be available on the 328i xDrive, don't count on it for the 335i xDrive.

Can I get an xDrive in manual transmission
Manual transmission is a likely option on the 328i. 335i will be 8 speed automatic only.
I was shocked when I read here that the 335i xDrive will conclusively be "automatic only", with no manual transmision option. Has this really been announced or published somewhere? I remember seeing one BMWNA exec interview that said manual-transmission xDrive would be available in the USA "in some models [plural]", but nothing about 328i only. If anything, I would more likely expect to see manual-transmission xDrive only on the 335i, because the added weight and burden of the xDrive system would be relatively less of a drain on the more-powerful engine. Also, BMWNA often drops the manual-transmission option on its smaller engines first (e.g. 640i vs. 650i, and 528i vs. 535i). Of course, I would prefer to see both engines with the manual option.
Ayden commented:
March 29, 2012, 12:43 am

Thanks for the information it was really helpful.
PDXe46 commented:
March 29, 2012, 3:13 pm

When you say that the XDrive is available in July, does that mean that they are available for ORDER in July, or will start shipping in july?

I desperately need to replace my 09 335 x drive that went off lease. I am so desperate that I test drove a C 300 4Matic (weak).
justinnum1 commented:
March 29, 2012, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXe46 View Post
When you say that the XDrive is available in July, does that mean that they are available for ORDER in July, or will start shipping in july?

I desperately need to replace my 09 335 x drive that went off lease. I am so desperate that I test drove a C 300 4Matic (weak).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2V_ZVhgHzI
tturedraider commented:
March 29, 2012, 8:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXe46 View Post
When you say that the XDrive is available in July, does that mean that they are available for ORDER in July, or will start shipping in july?

I desperately need to replace my 09 335 x drive that went off lease. I am so desperate that I test drove a C 300 4Matic (weak).
Did you already turn it in? BMWFS will extend your lease if they know you are planning to buy a new model that isn't available just yet.
rtalucci commented:
April 14, 2012, 9:32 pm

Spoke to my dealer about a F30 Luxury 335ix, for European Delivery, he told me that he would accepting orders August 13! Would like to know if this sounds OK.
justinnum1 commented:
April 14, 2012, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtalucci View Post
Spoke to my dealer about a F30 Luxury 335ix, for European Delivery, he told me that he would accepting orders August 13! Would like to know if this sounds OK.
Yea, awd isnt available yet
bzal1122 commented:
May 4, 2012, 2:26 pm

Am I correct in assuming that the new (F30)335i coupe will be no different than the current (E90) in the powertrain and technology department. I really want to buy a new coupe, but seeing how these will not appear until 2013 I am close to pulling the trigger on a used 2011 coupe. I know the new 328 is getting a different engine, but it sounds to me like the new 335i coupe engine will be no different than the 2011 model engine? Can someone set me straight?
TheCritic commented:
May 4, 2012, 2:49 pm

Is the full owner's manual available online anywhere? Would be an interesting read...
vmpatterson commented:
May 4, 2012, 7:32 pm

Thanks for the update. Good info.

A question, what will the M brakes do for stopping distance? Also I have seen published articles saying the stopping distances of the F30 328i from 60-0 mph varying from 107 to 117 feet. The first is very good and the latter average. Can anyone give me better information. If the M brakes only give me better performance on the track with less fading I am not sure I need it. I drive conners quickly but do it smoothly without using heavy braking. Still I appreciated the ability to stop in the minimum amount of distance. I have Bremco brakes on my Volvo V70 R and I like them.
gtg323s commented:
May 15, 2012, 3:29 pm

Great Post Tim Thanks for all the work.

I was wondering if the three lines (Sport, Modern and Luxury) be available on the Activehybrid3.

Also in general I was wondering what you guys think about the 335i Sport vs the Activehybrid3.

Thanks
tim330i commented:
May 15, 2012, 6:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg323s View Post
Great Post Tim Thanks for all the work.

I was wondering if the three lines (Sport, Modern and Luxury) be available on the Activehybrid3.

Also in general I was wondering what you guys think about the 335i Sport vs the Activehybrid3.

Thanks
You're welcome.

All F30 three series are sold in lines, including the ActiveHybrid 3.

I would get an 335i sport, not the hybrid.

Tim
nkeen commented:
June 22, 2012, 10:53 pm

Just looked at the 2013 order sheet -- it appears to my untrained eyes that the premium package is no longer a prerequisite for HIDs (Xenons, in $900 lighting package ZLD) on the 328i. Can anyone confirm?
vmpatterson commented:
June 22, 2012, 11:22 pm

That is correct - happy days.
nkeen commented:
June 23, 2012, 7:49 am

Thanks -- glad they've seen sense on the HIDs. Not so keen that they have taken auto-dimming mirrors off the premium package and made them standard -- not a fan of those at all.
vmpatterson commented:
June 23, 2012, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkeen View Post
Thanks -- glad they've seen sense on the HIDs. Not so keen that they have taken auto-dimming mirrors off the premium package and made them standard -- not a fan of those at all.
I believe I have read where you can turn off the auto-dimming mirrors. Someone else may know, it was either on one of the post or in looking at the MY12 Manual I downloaded on line. Will dig in deeper if I don't like them when I get the car. Only rarely have I needed them, usually a jacked up truck.
fitzgma commented:
June 28, 2012, 6:45 pm

I was just notified today that my 2013 335i went into production today. Two questions? I specifically told my sales guy that I wanted it built in Germany vs. South Africa (based on comments I have seen on the internet). How will I KNOW for sure when I accept delivery it was in fact built in Germany? Also - I really don't like the start/stop system. I realize I can disable it when I get in EACH TIME, but is there a way to permanently disable it? OR, can I disable while I'm driving, if I forget when when I start it? And finally, my sales guy said something about it won't kick on if it's >certain degree outside, or the car is working too hard, or something. Can you provide details of when it will activiate? It's a scary feeling when i feel it stop at a red light and don't want that. Thanks!
jlukja commented:
June 28, 2012, 6:48 pm

I believe the VIN will indicate the place of manufacture. There is an active thread right now that can show you what to look for.
pcbrew commented:
June 28, 2012, 8:11 pm

www.bmwvin.com will tell you all sorts of details on the car

Found this in another forum:
Quote:
The first 3 digits of your VIN would normally tell you the manufacturers code:

WMA = BMW AG (Germany)
NCO = BMW South Africa
4US = BMW Spartanburg SC USA

....but I believe that after 1999MY, BMW no longer uses the codes - NCO or 4US.

....so if you want to know the plant of manufacture for your specific car you need to look at digit 11 of your VIN:

L = Spartanburg USA
A,F,G,K = Munich, Germany
B,C,D = Dingolfing, Germany
E,J = Regensburg, Germany
N = South Africa
A.S.S. Can be 'coded' to remember the last setting:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Per the manual:
The engine is not switched off automatically in
the following situations:
  • External temperature below approx. +37 F/ +3 C
  • The external temperature is high and automatic climate control is running.
  • The passenger compartment has not yet been heated or cooled to the required level.
  • The engine is not yet at operating temperature.
  • The wheels are at a sharp angle or the steering wheel is being turned.
  • After driving in reverse.
  • Fogging of the windows when the automatic climate control is switched on.
  • The vehicle battery charge is very low.
  • The engine compartment lid is unlocked.
  • The parking assistant is activated.
  • Stop-and-go traffic.
  • The transmission selector lever is in position N or S/M.
tim330i commented:
June 29, 2012, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzgma View Post
I really don't like the start/stop system. I realize I can disable it when I get in EACH TIME, but is there a way to permanently disable it? OR, can I disable while I'm driving, if I forget when when I start it? And finally, my sales guy said something about it won't kick on if it's >certain degree outside, or the car is working too hard, or something. Can you provide details of when it will activiate? It's a scary feeling when i feel it stop at a red light and don't want that. Thanks!
As mentioned you can code the stop/start to remember you settings. There are a multitude of factors that effect how stop/start work. Read my complete article written from reviewing the BMW technical documents (must more detailed then the owners manual) here -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=606503

Tim
fitzgma commented:
June 29, 2012, 2:43 pm

Thanks Tim, this information is really helpful. This is my first Bimmer and first time to own a car with stop/start. Is there any information on the wear on the engine with this going on/off over long term? I'm purchasing a 2013, so assume any fixes will be covered in the first 4 years, but beyond that wonder if it will create issues since I do a lot of in-town driving?
tim330i commented:
June 29, 2012, 4:04 pm

No one knows what the long term wear and tear issues, if any are going to be. I have a feeling BMW tested this system to its limit but in the real world stuff does go wrong.

Tim
fitzgma commented:
July 7, 2012, 7:17 pm

Tracking my car on BMWUSA, looks like it just finished production. I thought by now the VIN number would be avail on the site. When will I have access to the VIN? I ask because I was VERY clear to my salesperson that I would not purchase the car, if it were built in the SA plant. I don't want to have to wait until I show up at the dealers to sign the papers to find out confirmation of the origination. thanks!
SD330i commented:
July 7, 2012, 10:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzgma View Post
Tracking my car on BMWUSA, looks like it just finished production. I thought by now the VIN number would be avail on the site. When will I have access to the VIN? I ask because I was VERY clear to my salesperson that I would not purchase the car, if it were built in the SA plant. I don't want to have to wait until I show up at the dealers to sign the papers to find out confirmation of the origination. thanks!
Have you asked your CA ? He should be able to tell you from his VIR , and his dealer allocation will say wether it is SA or Germany. Good luck
BruceOmega commented:
July 16, 2012, 10:38 am

Is there a difference in the ground clearance under the front bumper of an M-Sport compared to a Sport Line car?

Using two different tabs on my browser, I did a Build Your Own configuration for a 335i X-Drive, one for Sport Line and one for M-Sport. I chose the same exterior color, and 18" wheels for each although on M-Sport I had to use the staggered 18" option for the image to show. I then "flickered" back and forth between the two configurations. It appeared to me that the front of the M-Sport is lower to the ground than the front of the Sport Line.

Thanks
Bruce
OBS3SSION commented:
July 16, 2012, 2:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
Is there a difference in the ground clearance under the front bumper of an M-Sport compared to a Sport Line car?

Using two different tabs on my browser, I did a Build Your Own configuration for a 335i X-Drive, one for Sport Line and one for M-Sport. I chose the same exterior color, and 18" wheels for each although on M-Sport I had to use the staggered 18" option for the image to show. I then "flickered" back and forth between the two configurations. It appeared to me that the front of the M-Sport is lower to the ground than the front of the Sport Line.

Thanks
Bruce
From everything I can find about the Sport Line and M Sport suspensions, they are the same 10mm (~ 1/2") drop. To either of those packages, you can also add the "Adaptive M Suspension" which does not increase the drop more than 10mm, but adds variable electronic damping so you can have a softer or more firm ride depending on mood.

Interestingly, the X-Drive models never had the option of the sport suspension before. The F30 is the first to do this.

Also, it seems you have the option of adding the "Adaptive M Suspension" to the Luxury, Modern or Base models as well, which effectively gives those cars the sports suspension.

*Correct me if I'm wrong.
BruceOmega commented:
July 16, 2012, 4:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS3SSION View Post
From everything I can find about the Sport Line and M Sport suspensions, they are the same 10mm (~ 1/2") drop. To either of those packages, you can also add the "Adaptive M Suspension" which does not increase the drop more than 10mm, but adds variable electronic damping so you can have a softer or more firm ride depending on mood.

Interestingly, the X-Drive models never had the option of the sport suspension before. The F30 is the first to do this.

Also, it seems you have the option of adding the "Adaptive M Suspension" to the Luxury, Modern or Base models as well, which effectively gives those cars the sports suspension.

*Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think your information is correct, but I was actually trying to address something else.

Assuming both an M-Sport and a Sport Line have the same suspension and same options, for example both are 335i X-Drives and have M Adaptive Suspension and 18" wheels, is there any difference in how low the front bumper assemblies go. Would an M-Sport be more vulnerable to getting the front bumper assembly caught on a curb, everything else being equal.

Thanks
Bruce
voip-ninja commented:
July 16, 2012, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
I think your information is correct, but I was actually trying to address something else.

Assuming both an M-Sport and a Sport Line have the same suspension and same options, for example both are 335i X-Drives and have M Adaptive Suspension and 18" wheels, is there any difference in how low the front bumper assemblies go. Would an M-Sport be more vulnerable to getting the front bumper assembly caught on a curb, everything else being equal.

Thanks
Bruce
No m-sport cars have arrived so it's impossible to know, but from the photos on the BMW 'build your own' configuration website it would appear by clicking back and forth between the m-sport and non m-sport models that the various body parts of the m-sport car (side body skirts, front bumper cover, etc) are lower.

I know that in the case of my "ultrasport" A4 which has the same body kit as the RS4 it is quite a bit lower, about a full 1" or so compared to regular "sport" line cars.

This did, on one occasion result in me hooking the bottom of the bumper cover up on a parking block and tearing it off. Not my greatest moment. I pay much better attention to those bastards now!
vmpatterson commented:
July 16, 2012, 7:39 pm

I agree with Voip-Ninja as the question is the M sport body kit lower in the front. That, none of know at this time until one come in country. As far as the suspension goes I understood the reason the x drive deletes the sport suspension option(704) was to maintain higher clearance in the snow or maybe other places where you would need the x drive. As if 10 mm(roughly 3/8") would make that much of a difference in the snow but it could on rough rocky roads. In the MY12 i model you could have both the sport suspension and the adaptive suspension. This seemed duplicative but seemed to be an option last year. This year if you order the M Sport(ZMM) or Sport Line(ZSL) and the Dynamic Handling Package (ZDH), i.e. the Adaptive M Suspension, the sport suspension(704) is deleted. On the x line the sport suspension is not an option even without the Adaptive suspension.

If the height reason stated above is the reason for not allowing the sport suspension on the x drive I would suspect the bumper to not be lowered on either the M Sport or Sport Lines but of course that is highly speculative. If a lower bumper on the M Sport is the reason to select the Sport Line why spend the extra $1300. But, of course, I have to admit I also tried to look at all the same type of things I could before making the decision to get the M Sport. If its lower I will have to be more careful. It a lesson I have had to learn the hard way on two other cars. Hopefully the park distance will help me some here.
BruceOmega commented:
July 17, 2012, 10:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmpatterson View Post
..... In the MY12 i model you could have both the sport suspension and the adaptive suspension......
I got the impression you could choose M Adaptive in lieu of the fixed Sport Suspension, but not concurrent with it. I have read speculation that the M Adaptive Suspension is the same as the Sport Suspension with the exception of adding the adjustable dampers, so maybe in that sense you can have both.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vmpatterson View Post
..... If a lower bumper on the M Sport is the reason to select the Sport Line why spend the extra $1300. But, of course, I have to admit I also tried to look at all the same type of things I could before making the decision to get the M Sport. If its lower I will have to be more careful. It a lesson I have had to learn the hard way on two other cars. Hopefully the park distance will help me some here.
My question was in reference to me deciding between M-Sport or Sport Line. I had already decided to get the M Adaptive Suspension independent of whether the model I choose offers the fixed Sport Suspension. Yes, one of my concerns is not paying enough attention and scraping the front bumper, or worse, on a curb.

Thanks
Bruce
voip-ninja commented:
July 17, 2012, 10:30 am

Honestly if that's your concern then just steer clear of the m-sport package as it will almost certainly have lower body parts. The lower body parts will cause you several headaches, including for example, damaging the delicate lower body parts when using floor jacks etc.

If you really want the m-sport but are worried about this you will have to wait till the first cars show up in the next few weeks and ask an owner to measure the ground clearance of the front and rear bumper covers and front fascias, etc.
vmpatterson commented:
July 17, 2012, 10:44 am

[QUOTE=BruceOmega;6956235]I got the impression you could choose M Adaptive in lieu of the fixed Sport Suspension, but not concurrent with it. I have read speculation that the M Adaptive Suspension is the same as the Sport Suspension with the exception of adding the adjustable dampers, so maybe in that sense you can have both.

I remember seeing both in the MY12 buying guide but do not remember seeing anything in the exception or deleting section. But you may be right, it was something I meant to ask about about but when the 2013 buyer/pricing guides came out there was a specific deletion note. I specifically was waiting for the xdrive.


I went thru much of the same process you are before finally ordering the M Sport. The $1300 extra was balanced by the staggered summer tires (I switch to snow/ice tires in the winter), the different body style, and the thicker steering wheel (my wife has RA). It was a hard decision as I was trying to keep the cost down and although I like the body style better it doesn't offer any better performance.

Let us know which way to decide and good luck. Waiting for a ship and PCD. Hopefully in another month.
2010drive commented:
July 24, 2012, 6:11 pm

On the website configuration you cannot get the cold weather package with the M package...Is this correct?
tim330i commented:
July 24, 2012, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010drive View Post
On the website configuration you cannot get the cold weather package with the M package...Is this correct?
Correct, the M sport wheel doesn't come heated, therefore no cold weather package.

Tim
2010drive commented:
July 24, 2012, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Correct, the M sport wheel doesn't come heated, therefore no cold weather package.

Tim
I can build the 328 with it just not the 335
2010drive commented:
July 24, 2012, 6:30 pm

Okay, now it's letting me build both with it! Is there website messed up?

I would be pretty disappointed if you can't even get heated seats in a 60K car
tim330i commented:
July 24, 2012, 6:31 pm

Hmm, that was my impression. BMW USA is wrong a lot but I could be wrong.

Tim
vmpatterson commented:
July 25, 2012, 11:20 am

Heated front seats are a standalone option 494 in the Options section of the build and pricing guides for 2013 for the 328 and 335's. I recommend you download those from this site and use those as your guide. I have found several errors or omissions in the built-it-yourself bmw site. I gave up on it and went to the buyer/pricing guides and those seem to be correct.
IRBD commented:
August 10, 2012, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Correct, the M sport wheel doesn't come heated, therefore no cold weather package.

Tim
That's odd, because my M Sport order included the ZCW package with the heated M Sport steering wheel (248). I pick it up in a few days so we'll see if they were lying.
tim330i commented:
August 10, 2012, 12:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRBD View Post
That's odd, because my M Sport order included the ZCW package with the heated M Sport steering wheel (248). I pick it up in a few days so we'll see if they were lying.
I think I was incorrect in stating that. At the auto show they didn't have any M sports with heated wheels so I made an assumption.
docloc commented:
August 10, 2012, 12:37 pm

I also have the M sport package with the cold weather package coming in about 3 weeks, build is complete!
tim330i commented:
August 10, 2012, 1:55 pm

I realized my confusion came from the X1. You cannot order the X1 with M sport and a heated steering wheel. Very strange, I think its the same wheel.

Tim
zibawala commented:
August 27, 2012, 10:03 pm

can i get 19 inch 2PF upgrade on 328i M sport?
tim330i commented:
August 28, 2012, 11:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawala View Post
can i get 19 inch 2PF upgrade on 328i M sport?
Unfortunately the 19" 2PF is only offered on the 335i M sport F30.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/pdf/BMW-20...ring-Guide.pdf

You can check with your dealer to see what they can do for you or sell your stock wheels and pick up some aftermarket 19"s.
zibawala commented:
August 28, 2012, 2:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Unfortunately the 19" 2PF is only offered on the 335i M sport F30.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/pdf/BMW-20...ring-Guide.pdf

You can check with your dealer to see what they can do for you or sell your stock wheels and pick up some aftermarket 19"s.
how about 430?
tim330i commented:
August 29, 2012, 11:51 am

Not following your question.

Tim
zibawala commented:
August 29, 2012, 1:53 pm

What I meant was if there is an upgrade for $900 available on 328i m sports from 400 to 430 rims?
justinnum1 commented:
August 29, 2012, 2:02 pm

not for 900...probably 4000
zibawala commented:
August 29, 2012, 2:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
not for 900...probably 4000
But i am already too poor after coughing up 50K lol. No room for 4K add on
justinnum1 commented:
August 29, 2012, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawala View Post
But i am already too poor after coughing up 50K lol. No room for 4K add on
choices...
tim330i commented:
August 30, 2012, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawala View Post
What I meant was if there is an upgrade for $900 available on 328i m sports from 400 to 430 rims?
Do you mean 403 rims?
zibawala commented:
August 30, 2012, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Do you mean 403 rims?
yes! 430 rims, 7 spoke, 19 inch
tim330i commented:
August 31, 2012, 12:04 pm

2PF is for the 403 rims. You can probably get them as a dealer installed option but as posted above it is going to be several thousand. You're better of getting the car, selling the stock rims and getting aftermarket wheels and tires.

Tim
ladderman commented:
March 16, 2013, 1:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
The horsepower number for the N20 is incorrect as stated (245). Should be 240.
"BMW had decided" -> "BMW has decided".
"increase cooling capabilities" -> "increased cooling capabilities".
This has nothing to do with your post. I was impressed with the mileage on your 2003 -325.
My wife has a 325 cic with 84 K mi on it, she is not a car person but loves this automobile. I have been hit hard in the last year with repairs, (indy). Starter, alternator, etc. Water pump is original and I'm thinking of replacing it before the summer to avoid trouble. Do you do your own repairs? Any suggestions for me? I know my wife would like to keep this car another 10 years, Thanks.
Ladderman w.cross@comcast.net
mr_clueless commented:
March 18, 2013, 7:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladderman View Post
This has nothing to do with your post. I was impressed with the mileage on your 2003 -325.
My wife has a 325 cic with 84 K mi on it, she is not a car person but loves this automobile. I have been hit hard in the last year with repairs, (indy). Starter, alternator, etc. Water pump is original and I'm thinking of replacing it before the summer to avoid trouble. Do you do your own repairs? Any suggestions for me? I know my wife would like to keep this car another 10 years, Thanks.
Ladderman w.cross@comcast.net
Not sure what to recommend. I use an indy (don't do any repairs myself). The car is quite expensive to maintain -- probably $2K - $4K in maintenance each year depending on miles driven (I used to do about 25K miles a year). Yours seems to be very low mileage, so I would think it would tend to the lower end of that range. The mechanic had suggested replacing the entire cooling system at ~120K because he said a lot of the parts/hoses are plastic and they are susceptible to cracking -- that was perhaps the most expensive preventative non-scheduled piece of work I had done.
weezl commented:
March 30, 2013, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
Not sure what to recommend. I use an indy (don't do any repairs myself). The car is quite expensive to maintain -- probably $2K - $4K in maintenance each year depending on miles driven (I used to do about 25K miles a year).
Wow, with that high a yearly mileage, a lease would be very expensive but think about the maintenance savings with a lease: no maint ever if you lease every 3 years, probably less tire purchases over the course of 3 years, free loaner/less hassle factors, $500 every 3 years from BMWCCA, a new car every 3 years, probably safer with newer parts & technology, etc.

I am not a salesman
mr_clueless commented:
March 31, 2013, 2:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezl View Post
Wow, with that high a yearly mileage, a lease would be very expensive but think about the maintenance savings with a lease: no maint ever if you lease every 3 years, probably less tire purchases over the course of 3 years, free loaner/less hassle factors, $500 every 3 years from BMWCCA, a new car every 3 years, probably safer with newer parts & technology, etc.

I am not a salesman
Normally, I would completely dismiss leasing. Even now I would probably not lease. But I do realize that given the weird interest rate environment we are in, leasing looks very favorable. And the weird environment is likely to continue for many years...in fact, I don't see how we can get out of it.
Camryguy commented:
June 22, 2013, 11:29 am

Will the 2014 320 and 328 8 speed automatic have the ability to SAIL or COAST?
voip-ninja commented:
June 22, 2013, 12:07 pm

Are you asking if you can flip it into neutral while moving at speed? I suppose it's possible, but I sure as hell am not going to do it. Not only is it somewhat unsafe to have the vehicle not under power while traveling at real speed, but in some states it's illegal. The car is already a fuel miser. If you want to hyper mile you should get something smaller with a manual transmission and have at it.
Camryguy commented:
June 22, 2013, 6:05 pm

I think you missed the point ninja but out of curiosity ... which states have laws against putting cars in neutral at speed?
voip-ninja commented:
June 22, 2013, 7:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camryguy View Post
I think you missed the point ninja but out of curiosity ... which states have laws against putting cars in neutral at speed?
I believe it is illegal in CA. Other states (like my state of CO) have laws about needing to have the vehicle under powered control and powered stopping which implies neutral coast might not be in full compliance.

There are references in this wiki article about why neutral coast might be unsafe in some circumstances.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-efficient_driving

As to "missing the point" my point is that buying a $45,000+ sports sedan with automatic transmission and obsessing about fuel economy to the point of neutral coasting or driving like there's an egg between your foot and the gas pedal is stupid (and a waste). If someone is that concerned with fuel Econ then buy a more appropriate vehicle, like a Prius.

The F30 gets very good fuel economy for a sporty car. You can opt for the 320i version if you are obsessed with fuel economy or get the manual transmission and hypermille it. They even have an economy mode if u want the car to be a snooze fest.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Camryguy commented:
June 22, 2013, 9:36 pm

Thanks Ninja,

I understand your point but I think you are missing MY point.

My question was and still is, Will the 2014 320 and 328 8 speed automatic have the ability to SAIL or COAST? Sailing is the term used by some other German manufacturers to refer to the ability of the transmission to decouple from the engine allowing the car to sail or coast without the negative impact of engine braking.
voip-ninja commented:
June 22, 2013, 10:53 pm

I see. Failure to communicate. Sail and coast are kind of generic terms. I'm not sure if anyone here would know mechanically the 2014 cars will be identical to the 2013 and I'm not familiar with that particular feature v


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
shazi00 commented:
September 17, 2013, 10:32 pm

Question for all the 2013/2014 328 owners - Since the mirrors are autodimming and heated, do they come standard with power fold in/fold out function with the press of the button by the window controls ?

Thanks
shazi00 commented:
September 21, 2013, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazi00 View Post
Question for all the 2013/2014 328 owners - Since the mirrors are autodimming and heated, do they come standard with power fold in/fold out function with the press of the button by the window controls ?

Thanks
Since no one answered this I got my car today and power folding mirrors r standard on 2013 and 2014 328i

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
mr_clueless commented:
September 21, 2013, 7:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazi00 View Post
Since no one answered this I got my car today and power folding mirrors r standard on 2013 and 2014 328i

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
What did you get?
shazi00 commented:
September 21, 2013, 8:08 pm

I got the 2014 328i with navigation, heated seats
, moon roof and lighting package with alpine white exterior and black interior. Very nice standard features too such as the autodimming mirrors, power folding, dark burl walnut wood which looks better than I thought and standard sport steering

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
mr_clueless commented:
September 21, 2013, 8:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazi00 View Post
I got the 2014 328i with navigation, heated seats
, moon roof and lighting package with alpine white exterior and black interior. Very nice standard features too such as the autodimming mirrors, power folding, dark burl walnut wood which looks better than I thought and standard sport steering

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Congratulations. Post some pics in the official AW thread.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=634363
MavsFan1 commented:
March 5, 2014, 2:48 pm

Will a BMW dealership change the default function on the Auto/Stop/Start to the OFF default? If so, do they charge for it and does anyone know how much it will cost?
mr_clueless commented:
March 5, 2014, 3:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFan1 View Post
Will a BMW dealership change the default function on the Auto/Stop/Start to the OFF default? If so, do they charge for it and does anyone know how much it will cost?
They can program it so it remembers the last setting. This is how they are shipping now. IDK if they charge to change it on an older car. Just call a few dealers and ask.
Weaselboy commented:
March 6, 2014, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFan1 View Post
Will a BMW dealership change the default function on the Auto/Stop/Start to the OFF default? If so, do they charge for it and does anyone know how much it will cost?
Unless something changed, they were doing it one time for free.
Jhin commented:
March 22, 2014, 8:20 pm

my new 328i arrives in a couple weeks and I wanted to get recommendations about which clear coat films are best? What areas are best to film? Front bumper? Hood? Partial hood? Etc.

I thought 3M had a good product but the dealer switched to something called xpel ? That has a 10 yr warranty? Recommendations welcomes. Thanks