BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Dyno of the Long Term 2012 BMW 328i comes in at 241hp / 275lb-ft of torque!

28K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  eclampsium 
#1 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS2nj3PjYUA&feature=youtu.be

The dyno numbers are in from the morning testing at Turner Motorsport and the numbers are almost too good to believe. The long term review 328i reported in at 241.241 horsepower and 274.759 lb-ft of torque. Considering the car is rated at 240 horsepower and 255 lb-ft of torque by BMW at the crank, these numbers at the wheels are just really impressive.

2012 BMW 328i Dyno Run

2012 BMW 328i Dyno Run

Before today, two 2012 F30 328i sedans have been dynod, our friends at EAS (EAS F30 328i dyno thread) put down 226hp and 230ft-lbs of torque. InsideLine (InsideLine F30 328i dyno thread) put down an even more impressive 240hp and 257ft-lbs of torque. Clearly BMW is under rating the N20 4 cylinder turbo in these cars.

2012 BMW 328i N20 Motor

This was the first time anyone has dynoed the N20 328i with a 6 speed manual and I think anyone would be happy with these results. A big thank goes out to Turner Motorsport for helping us make this happen! :thumbup:

Besides the dyno run we're using Turner Motorsport impressive facility to dive into our F30 328i. Look for the following technical results from our trip -
  • Complete suspension review including expert analysis from TMS suspension engineers
  • Side-by-Side comparison of the E90 to the F30 on the lift
  • We weigh the 328i on the TMS race scales. How much does an F30 328i really weigh?
  • Wheel fitment testing - If you're going to be putting rims on your F30 you'll need this info
  • Brake pad fitment - Are any existing brake pads compatible with our F30 328i brake system
  • And more! Who knows what else we'll come up with with the BMW experts at Turner Motorsports!

See less See more
#6 ·
No love for the West Coast! I'll still be sleeping, not a morning person! I guess that I'll have to catch it on YouTube.

#4 ·
Damn, im gonna be at the dealer getting some service done(slight vibration in steering wheel)...might have to bring my laptop and watch there...or can i replay it somehow?

#15 ·
There are two ways to rate HP / Torque. I found an explanation online that probably explains it better than I can.

Crank power is measured with an engine connected to a dynamometer and tested (with out the rest of the car attached, just the engine by its self). wheel HP is measured with a chassis dynamometer, and is measured with the car on a rolling road type of machine. wheel HP is typically lower because the engine has to use some of its power to spin the transmission and wheels (among other things). there are rough estimates for drivetrain loss for front wheel, all wheel, and rear wheel drive vehicles. those estimates are used so people can compare the power their car is making at the wheels to the power the car was rated at the factory (from the crank).
So, the fact that the car is making more HP / TQ at the wheels than what BMW advertises at the crank is what makes it insane.

#28 ·
Tested mine last week, it's a 328 and automatic. It was difficult to do it, becouse even in manual mode with trans set to manual, if you floor the pedal and hit the kickdoen button it will reduce the gear, even being in the manual mode and iff the dino is spinning in an uncompatible speed with the gear it will shif you out off the desired gear too... so after 3 attempts i made it to test with the foot fully pressed, but only in the upper engine revs, to avoid it to reduce the gear, so my test became crippled in the lower rev part of it, but i managed to succedd in the upper band testing, to have an idea off where was it befo i start any mod in the engine... I found 241cv (not HP, CV are almost the same but not the same) at the wheels, wich the guy told me it was like 276 in the engine... So preety decent... i was specting a litle lower.... Premium gas used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.