F80 M3 Sedan Tri-turbo Powered M3 Spied Winter Testing

by Tim Jones on March 12, 2012, 3:05 pm
F80 2014 M3 spied - Triple turbo power plant

With the 328i and 335i F30 3 series sedans fully to market and available at a dealer near you the next exciting 4 door news is the F80 M3 Sedan. Breaking from BMW M tradition the next generation M3s will each get their own "F" code. BMW M Brand manager Matt Russel explained that M cars now have 80% or greater parts differentiation from their non-M base car. With that in mind it made sense to split the M cars into their own F code.

The F30 3 sedan will be the F80 M3, the F31 wagon won't get an M version, the F32 3 coupe will be the F82 M3, the F33 3 convertible will be the F83 M3.

BMW M3 F30 nears production

Despite a change to 80% or greater of the parts the F80 M3 will share much of the exterior look of the F30 3 series sedan. The wide headlights that connect all the way to the central grills, the steeply slopping hood line, doors, etc. But look for wider fenders, bigger wheels, huge brakes, side vents and of course the quad M exhaust.

F80 M3 spied testing

As this is just a test mule BMW isn't ready to reveal all the details yet. Specifically you can see the standard F30 mirrors, the M3 mirror design is still under wraps. What else is BMW keeping under wraps? Perhaps most noticeably missing from this test mule is the M Power dome. Have fuel economy and pedestrian safety laws caused the demise of the M Power dome? We'll have to wait and see.

F80 M3 spied testing

What we do know with 95% certainty is the power plant for this beast. BMW M has taken a liking to inline 6 with triple turbos! Using similar technology from the recently launched BMW M Performance Autos Diesel engines that are also inline 6 cylinder triple turbos. Loosely based on the N54/N55 architecture but with more turbo power and advanced engine management 430hp and equal amounts of torque sound about right to me

2014 F80 M3


Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










33 responses to F80 M3 Sedan Tri-turbo Powered M3 Spied Winter Testing

AutoUnion commented:
March 12, 2012, 3:14 pm

Return of the 6 cylinder M3!!
justinnum1 commented:
March 12, 2012, 4:15 pm

holy ****
westwest888 commented:
March 12, 2012, 10:16 pm

I will need to learn to outdrive my S4 and graduate to 450 hp. Place a no nonsense order with Jon in Santa Barbara. Would be nice if they had a serious $6k brake option.

It doesn't appear that the RS4 will come in manual.
av98 commented:
March 12, 2012, 11:48 pm

Great spy pics!

There's no large front mount IC. Sure it's an I6 with FI.
pcbrew commented:
March 13, 2012, 10:21 am

Looks nice. I will be in the market in 3 1/2 years when my F30 Sport lease is up.

BTW, about the power dome, not sure it would be strictly needed since the F30 hood has a huge hollow space. See pics.
A dome would be needed only to retain the same gap thickness - not sure they would care so much about the ratings for the low-volume M3.
beden1 commented:
March 13, 2012, 12:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
I will need to learn to outdrive my S4 and graduate to 450 hp. Place a no nonsense order with Jon in Santa Barbara. Would be nice if they had a serious $6k brake option.

It doesn't appear that the RS4 will come in manual.
When is Audi bringing the RS4 to the US?
enigma commented:
March 13, 2012, 6:22 pm

Any word on US availability?
tol4o commented:
March 19, 2012, 10:11 pm

Hm, we'll see... wondering if this new M3 will make me retire my E46 M3. So far there is no BMW model that would inspire me to do that. E46 is built perfect in any aspect!
Jon Shafer commented:
March 20, 2012, 12:26 am

Awesome!

Nobrandfanboy commented:
March 21, 2012, 9:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
When is Audi bringing the RS4 to the US?
Who cares, Audi is too lame to put a proper engine into the RS4. They should of put the TT V8 into the RS4 but they put a NA V8. I love my Audi cars but would never buy an RS car. The RS cars are released too late in the models lifecycle for one. Second Audi treats it like a profit booster rather than BMW that treats the M division as a priority to provide the BMW brand with Halo cars. BMW M division puts new technology into the M cars but Audi just puts parts together for the RS cars, and then just improves the suspension.
If I was in the market for an RS4 than I would definitely rather look at the M3 or the GT-R, the RS cars are a waste of money.
ArtchredTTU commented:
March 21, 2012, 9:42 am

Tri- Turbo..... imagine the tuning power - I can see it around 600hp after a solid tune and with exhaust... Fap Fap Fap
Rolitto commented:
March 30, 2012, 3:59 am

Some are saying it will feature a V6, but I don't think so. BMW pioneered the Inline-6 for years and years to come. I wish it was still normal aspirated engine with high-rev but that economy debate has been the debate of the decade.
16n69 commented:
March 30, 2012, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
F80 2014 M3 spied - Triple turbo power plant

With the 328i and 335i F30 3 series sedans fully to market and available at a dealer near you the next exciting 4 door news is the F80 M3 Sedan. Breaking from BMW M tradition the next generation M3s will each get their own "F" code. BMW M Brand manager Matt Russel explained that M cars now have 80% or greater parts differentiation from their non-M base car. With that in mind it made sense to split the M cars into their own F code.

The F30 3 sedan will be the F80 M3, the F31 wagon won't get an M version, the F32 3 coupe will be the F82 M3, the F33 3 convertible will be the F83 M3.

BMW M3 F30 nears production

Despite a change to 80% or greater of the parts the F80 M3 will share much of the exterior look of the F30 3 series sedan. The wide headlights that connect all the way to the central grills, the steeply slopping hood line, doors, etc. But look for wider fenders, bigger wheels, huge brakes, side vents and of course the quad M exhaust.

F80 M3 spied testing

As this is just a test mule BMW isn't ready to reveal all the details yet. Specifically you can see the standard F30 mirrors, the M3 mirror design is still under wraps. What else is BMW keeping under wraps? Perhaps most noticeably missing from this test mule is the M Power dome. Have fuel economy and pedestrian safety laws caused the demise of the M Power dome? We'll have to wait and see.

F80 M3 spied testing

What we do know with 95% certainty is the power plant for this beast. BMW M has taken a liking to inline 6 with triple turbos! Using similar technology from the recently launched BMW M Performance Autos Diesel engines that are also inline 6 cylinder triple turbos. Loosely based on the N54/N55 architecture but with more turbo power and advanced engine management 430hp and equal amounts of torque sound about right to me

2014 F80 M3
TRI-TURBO...hate to say "I told you so"...but I TOLD YOU SO! ( not you tim330i...these other knuckleheads )
jackson328xi commented:
March 31, 2012, 2:30 am

What's the deal with all of this talk about a V6 instead of an I6? I know it was chalked up to confusion at first, but Car and Driver had a blurb that was very specific about it being BMWs first V6...
LS2 MN6 commented:
April 1, 2012, 7:38 pm

Now I need a bag of money so I can buy an F80 in 2 or 3 years.
westwest888 commented:
April 3, 2012, 5:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson328xi View Post
What's the deal with all of this talk about a V6 instead of an I6? I know it was chalked up to confusion at first, but Car and Driver had a blurb that was very specific about it being BMWs first V6...
Maybe it has to be a V to fit 3 turbos in it?
calmwinds commented:
April 3, 2012, 6:57 pm

Those rear brakes are HUGE. I wonder if there's anyone out there crazy enough and mug that guy of the M3, take it home, take all the camo off and post the pictures on bimmerfest (including what's under the hood). Do it for the community
Capobranco commented:
April 4, 2012, 12:46 pm

I am eagerly awaiting with an open mind the new M3. I anticipate the F82 will eclipse the E92 M3 in terms of dynamic performance, but for me, the real question is the future car's visceral "joie de vivre". Although many cars today may offer better performance in terms of a specific measure, the M3 remains a decathlon champion offering brilliant performance, balance, and a sensual "connectivity" that few can match overall. When I purchased my M3, I thought it might become a "keeper". The E92 M3 is sublime, and presents the F82 with a very high hurdle.
calmwinds commented:
April 4, 2012, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
I am eagerly awaiting with an open mind the new M3. I anticipate the F82 will eclipse the E92 M3 in terms of dynamic performance, but for me, the real question is the future car's visceral "joie de vivre". Although many cars today may offer better performance in terms of a specific measure, the M3 remains a decathlon champion offering brilliant performance, balance, and a sensual "connectivity" that few can match overall. When I purchased my M3, I thought it might become a "keeper". The E92 M3 is sublime, and presents the F82 with a very high hurdle.
Can't agree more that the E92 is awesome car. I would've bought one if it didn't suck so much gas. People report 200 miles for a tank. That's just ridiculous.. If they can make it 300 miles on spirited driving, then sure.
Capobranco commented:
April 4, 2012, 1:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmwinds View Post
Can't agree more that the E92 is awesome car. I would've bought one if it didn't suck so much gas. People report 200 miles for a tank. That's just ridiculous.. If they can make it 300 miles on spirited driving, then sure.
My experience....

Routinely, 18 to 20 mpg driving in a "spirited" manner on a 20 mile commute in Metro DC.

I usually see 20 - 22 mpg on interstates driving "quickly".

Weekends on back roads - "pushing it" - 16 - 18 mpg.

Overall really not that much different than my E93 335 MT. Perhaps I drove my 335i harder to extract some measure of satisfying performance. With my M3, everything is configurable, which allows you to seamlessly adapt to current road conditions. The power, responsiveness, and sheer connectivity of the M3 is worth the small difference.

So when are you buying your M3?
GVFlyer commented:
April 4, 2012, 4:03 pm

In her 2011 E93 M3, my daughter's averaging around 14.5 mpg in mixed driving. When her monthly gas bill climbed over $400.00 she started restricting her driving. It was her mileage that caused me to buy a 335is rather than another M3. While I love the NA V8 in her car, in these days of $4.00 Obama gasoline, a more fuel efficient 3 turbo N54/N55 based I6 would be a welcome change for the M3.
cheikh82 commented:
April 4, 2012, 4:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
In her 2011 E93 M3, my daughter's averaging around 14.5 mpg in mixed driving. When her monthly gas bill climbed over $400.00 she started restricting her driving. It was her mileage that caused me to buy a 335is rather than another M3. While I love the NA V8 in her car, in these days of $4.00 Obama gasoline, a more fuel efficient 3 turbo N54/N55 based I6 would be a welcome change for the M3.
Obama is not the reason the gas is at $4.00/gallon. Stop misleading the mass please, and just enjoy your bimmers.

Thank you
GVFlyer commented:
April 4, 2012, 5:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheikh82 View Post
Obama is not the reason the gas is at $4.00/gallon. Stop misleading the mass please, and just enjoy your bimmers.

Thank you
Do you read The Wall Street Journal, The Economist or Harvard Business Review? Skip that, just simplify the question to, "Do you read?"
cheikh82 commented:
April 4, 2012, 6:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Do you read The Wall Street Journal, The Economist or Harvard Business Revue? Skip that, just simplify the question to, "Do you read?"
No I can't read Sir. I will learn when you learn what really affect the price of gas. The prices in Europe are almost double the ones in the US. Go and blame Obama for that too. U should be thanking him u only paying $4.00 buddy. And please stop reading the WSJ and HBR because you obviously do not understand what you're reading.
GVFlyer commented:
April 4, 2012, 7:30 pm

Let me guess - you think quantitative easing is a good idea, too.
SD Z4MR commented:
April 4, 2012, 8:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
...in these days of $4.00 Obama gasoline...
Is this necessary? If you want to bash Obama, or anyone else for that matter, take it to the Off Topic/Political Science forums. This is a discussion about the new M3, so please keep your politics out of this and the other forums. Them's the rules.
GVFlyer commented:
April 4, 2012, 9:04 pm

Noted. I did not view that as bashing anyone or even a political comment - more an academic one. I was making a comment about the M3 - it surprises me that anyone would eschew the content of the message and obsess about one word.
MXdirtMX commented:
April 4, 2012, 11:26 pm

I agree: F80 is going to be awesome & ObaMao policies (& insane deficit spending) have made everything cost more.

So that being said... How much more will the 2012/13 M3 be priced over the 335i.... Also, any line on the 335is version of the F30 platform?

Jon, could you also private message me the internet deal on the F30 335I? Thanks Lots in advance... MX
Capobranco commented:
April 5, 2012, 10:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXdirtMX View Post
I agree: F80 is going to be awesome
... MX
+1

If we get lucky maybe the F80 will feature "active sound" la the F10 M5 that utilizes the sound of the E90 M3....
westwest888 commented:
April 8, 2012, 3:42 pm

Motor Trend said this might be a twin turbo with a supercharger.
GVFlyer commented:
April 8, 2012, 4:07 pm

What an exotic combination that would be!
Beemerup commented:
May 23, 2013, 5:04 pm

Anyone know? ED discounts?
tim330i commented:
May 23, 2013, 5:06 pm

BMW NA has changed the ED pricing a bunch of times on the current F10 M5. It is way to early to know about pricing, let alone ED pricing on the F80 M3 and F82 M4.

Tim