BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
51K views 128 replies 57 participants last post by  namelessman 
#1 · (Edited)
EPA down grades BMW f30 328i fuel economy

The EPA has revised the fuel economy numbers for the 2012 BMW 3 series from the preliminary numbers. These numbers are still preliminary as the EPA has not yet test the SULEV N26 powered 328i. Once the SULEV 328i is tested the EPA will release the final fuel economy numbers. The updated numbers for the 328i sedan are

BMW 2012 328i Sedan Automatic
City 23 / Highway 33 / Combined 26

This is a change of -1 city, -3 highway and -3 combined compared to the preliminary numbers originally released in December 2011

BMW 2012 328i Sedan Manual
City 23 / Highway 34 / Combined 27

The manual transmission numbers are unchanged and now represent a better fuel economy then the 8 speed auto.

BMW 2012 335i Sedan
The 335i Sedan automatic and manual transmission MPG did not change. They are -

Automatic - City 23 / Highway 33 / Combined 26
Manual - City 20 / Highway 30 / Combined 23

It is important to note that while the numbers have been reduced the F30 328i still represents a 18% improvement in fuel economy then the previous generation E90 328i. The F30 328i is also still the most fuel efficient vehicle in its class. Increased fuel economy can also be achieved using the ECO PRO mode.

Read the real world fuel economy thread to see what Bimmerfest.com members are getting for fuel economy in their F30 3 series.

See less See more
#48 ·
Is there any chance the 335i's fuel economy rating will also be revised? I just checked on BMW's website, and they have deleted the fuel economy ratings for the 335i and now they simply say "TBD". The 328i lists the new numbers for AT, but the 328i MT also shows TBD. This leads me to believe that the numbers will be revised for the 335i as well.

#51 · (Edited)
I'm curious as to how this reduction in MPG in the N20 engine in the various models will affect BMW's compliance with the "required fleet average" target under the CAFE rules. I thought that they had to get to an average of 37.3 MPG by 2016. Will this throw a monkey wrench into BMW's plans to achieve the target? Since the N20 is or will be in the 328, 528, Z4 and X3, I'm sure that this engine constitutes a major factor in BMW's plans to meet the MPG standard. Could this reduction in MPG lead to other actions by BMW in the future to meet the targets such as trying to sell more 128's or giving incentives to customers to buy more fuel efficient engines (more 528's and less 550's)?

#57 ·
when they are not favorable, and of significant value when they look good.:)

It is obvious the EPA ratings are important for many. I want to know how are the numbers obtained? Do manufactures submit them to the EPA, the EPA accept them as is, then if you get audited by the EPA the numbers can be adjusted?

#59 ·
So we are really back to the guidance I always give people. Buy the automatic transmission for luxury. Buy the manual transmission for better performance and better mileage. This rule really hasn't changed for the past 60 years.

Every few years, Consumer Reports tests a group of cars that are "identical twins". Each "twin" has one car that is MT, and the other that is AT. Otherwise, they are as similar as possible. They try to get a sampling of various types of cars (sports cars, economy cars, etc.). The car with the MT virtually always has better acceleration and better mileage than the identical car with the AT. Other testing organizations report similar results.

In terms of the EPA ratings, it is important to remember these tests are conducted under laboratory conditions, not real world driving. Many people with AT cars complain their cars do not achieve the EPA ratings. Most people with MT cars get fairly close to the EPA numbers. I am a bit surprised the new EPA 328i rating shows the MT version getting better mileage than the AT version. Maybe a dose of reality?

Sorry, an automatic is still an automatic, regardless of how many speeds it contains. I am using the term automatic to mean a transmission that has a torque converter. This does not include the automated manual transmissions.

:drive:

#60 ·
#62 · (Edited)
Previously, the BMW website listed the 335 as:
20/30 with MT
23/33 with AT
The EPA website still shows these figures.

Now the BMW website lists TBD for both transmissions. So I would think that they are rethinking things.

Also, here an article that includes BMW's press release on the issue:
http://www.autospies.com/news/EPA-Lowers-2012-328i-Mileage-Estimates-BMW-At-A-Loss-As-To-Why-69741/

"All manufacturers are responsible for testing and submitting fuel economy figures each year to the EPA (based on physical tests following the EPA test cycle on a dynamometer). Occasionally, the EPA will validate the figures that we provide. When this happens, there are sometimes small changes in the published EPA fuel economy figures (usually 1 mpg up or down).
The EPA recently tested the 2012 328i Automatic and obtained a highway mileage result that was 3m pg lower (33mpg versus 36mpg) than the BMW test result. We are very surprised by this result and are currently working to determine how this is possible. The new rating seems abnormally low in relation to the other models in the BMW range and by the real-world fuel economy that we are seeing from this model.
Unfortunately, there is no provision in the EPA rules for a re-test this year. Therefore regardless of the results of our investigation, the new rating will stand for this model year."

#69 ·
According to the above explanation, manufactures provide EPA those numbers annually after they do their own tests based on the EPA standards. I guess we have to ask BMW why the YOY bump. It did not seem to have anything to do with EPA, unless the EPA changes its standards every year.

#77 ·
Yup, whell, what matters is real-world / combined driving anyway. Hope everyone who has cited their early findings in the "real world" thread continues to check-in, and members who have not will start, so that a consensus of "real world" can be solidly established.

#80 ·
I think it is likely that those ads were bought and they didn't want to spend money redo them, just let them run the course, we will have to see.

When people see the TV ad, then walk in and see the lower EPA on the sticker, it's difficult to say if it will be a good thing for the salesperson to explain. Salespersons are not the most trusted people by the customers already.

#82 ·
I've bought a lot of cars in my days (sadly quite a few in the last three years alone) and I would say the majority of sales staff were professional, knowledgeable, and honest in their dealings with me. While I've dealt with a few who have been shady my general experience has been positive.

#81 · (Edited)
I'm quite sure they've hired an independent party to arrive at a confirmed value; will be curious which way that wind blows the final rating.
Apparently, BMW didn't have an independent party test them:

"It should be noted that in addition to the manual 328i, none of the other four-cylinder models, which include the BMW Z4 sDrive28i, 528i, and X3 xDrive28i, were independently tested."

Also, BMW says that:

"He said that no other vehicle with the new twin-turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine will have its numbers readjusted-not even the six-speed manual version of the 2012 BMW 328i sedan, which will retain its 23 mpg city/34 mpg highway rating."

If fact, they already seem to have make adjustments to the specs section of their website for some of the vehicles.

http://blogs.automotive.com/2012-bm...l-economy-rating-from-36-to-33-mpg-85135.html

Who knows, maybe the EPA just forgot to take the parking brake off before they hooked it up to the dyno.

#83 · (Edited)
Apparently, BMW didn't have an independent party test them:
I'm replying w/a quote as my statement was the one quoted so guessing my statement was the impetus of the reply...

when I wrote "they've" [they have] I did not mean to imply "had" in the form of what was performed over the past months or year. I read all the excellent explanations here and on Bimmerfile and there was no misunderstanding on my part of how EPA testing and approval of ratings are done.

I'm saying I'd bet right now, as a result of the dramatic EPA findings, they've [BMW or BMWUSA] now secured the services of a company to prove their rating and counter the EPA's findings. Supposition, but that's my thinking.

#89 ·
So everyone who bought an N20 got duped because it gets the same gas mileage as the N52 from the 2006 325i? And it cost $6000 more? And it sounds like an ECOTEC Ford Focus?

#91 ·
It took you NINE DAYS to post on this?!?! Dude, you're slipping.

Yes. It sounds like a Ford Focus, just like a FWD, Audi A4 2.0t with the only transmission offered, a Continuously Variable Transmission. Oh, wait. The Focus offers a five speed manual or a six speed automatic transmission.

#90 ·
Actually, I'm having the opposite experience.

My average MPG after just over 1000 miles worth of driving is at 33.8, which I'd say is spectacular for this kind of car, and only about 2mpg less than what I was averaging at 50,000 miles in my last car.

Maybe it's because my last car was a stick-shift standard MINI Cooper 2008, which I loved. I also love getting good gas mileage because I hate getting gas. The whole process is slow and the handles are gross on the gas pumps. Lol.

Before that, I had a Prius, so I kinda like Eco Pro mode. It's like a video game - the object of the game is to get the best gas mileage possible.

Sure - maybe Eco Pro mode makes me drive like a grandma, but on the other hand, Eco Pro mode is about as fast as my MINI was, and definitely faster than the Prius. Just knowing that I can completely change the driving experience by flipping the car over to Sport mode is enough for me. All the gallons I save with Eco Pro justifies the times I choose to get a little crazy with Sport. And it's not like I can't eventually go fast in Eco Pro, it just takes a littler bit more time to get up to speed.

Also, I feel like Eco Pro might extend the life of the car, since it stresses the engine less.

Overall, I think my new 328i is an outstanding car.

#93 ·
Feeling better about my choice to get a E90 335d rather than wait for the F30.

Having said that, for those complaining about the N20 there is still a lot of upside to that engine with tuning that can improve both mileage and power output. The N52 is a great engine but let's face it, going forward there was not a lot more power and efficiency to be squeezed out of it.

#94 · (Edited)
If the revised mpg stands, it is proof there is not a lot of efficiency to be squeezed out of the N20 either, if we compare the N52 528i and N20 528i both equipped with the 8spd AT.

The N20 does squeeze out more power than the N52, in part because the N52 was a detuned engine. The high powered N/A I6 (N53?) produces 270 hp.

Let's face it, this is less about fuel efficiency, more of getting on a bandwagon. If they were true to improving mpg, they would have brought the US the 320d.

#107 ·
#112 ·
For a car with this weight, hp, and torque...i'll take 26 mpg anytime...which is also my first month mpg number.

EPA Issues New Test Methods for Fuel Economy Window Stickers
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/carlabel/documents/420f06069.pdf
Key phrase/statement..."EPA fuel economy estimates will use vehicle-specific data from tests designed to replicate three real-world conditions"

#113 ·
The F10 550xi has had some interesting fluctuations in the EPA numbers over the past three years without any changes to the drivetrain. :dunno:

2011 - 16 City, 24 Hwy, 18 Combined
2012 - 15 City, 20 Hwy, 17 Combined
2013 - 16 City, 24 Hwy, 19 Combined

#117 ·
Here is a screenshot from my trip computer- North Austin to Dallas last Sunday after the F1 race. I reset the computer once I got on the highway and took the picture right after getting off. Even if it is 10% off, I am damn impressed.

I got around 30mpg during my ED driving from Munich to Nice.

Attachments

#118 ·
Here is a screenshot from my trip computer- North Austin to Dallas last Sunday after the F1 race. I reset the computer once I got on the highway and took the picture right after getting off. Even if it is 10% off, I am damn impressed.

I got around 30mpg during my ED driving from Munich to Nice.
Nice!

What driving mode were you in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.