BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Service Bulletin for F30 335i (N55) Stop Start Problems

32K views 38 replies 27 participants last post by  Ahmad Ayesh 
#1 · (Edited)
BMW technical service bulletin for F30 335i N55 stop start problems

BMW has issued a technical service bulletin for the stop / start (MSA system) issues previously reported by several Bimmerfest Members. The problem is only related to F30 335i 3 series powered by the N55 inline six cylinder engine. The problem is that the engine will be stopped and started correctly by the stop/start MSA system, however, after the restart the engine will again shut off unexpectedly. The system will display a message to the driver that the stop/start feature has been disabled and the transmission (automatic) is put into neutral automatically.

The engine can be started manually by the driver after this has happened using the start button. This happens intermittent making this very frustrating to drivers and hard for technicians to diagnose. Furthermore the is no relevant errors logged into the ECU fault system.

BMW cites an 'unfavorable DME software application' as the source of the issue for cars produced between 11/2/2011 and 2/29/2012. To the automotive enthusiasts that loosely translates to "we screwed up". BMW is owning up to the issue by issuing service bulletin 10 12 00 09 00. Everyone with a 2012 F30 3 series is of course covered under the warranty so besides the hassle of getting your 3 series recoded at the dealership it is an easy fix.

How many people have been having this issue with their F30 stop/start?

See less See more
#3 ·
thats ****ed up, they need to be able to update these cars via wireless from anywhere, you should be able to go into the idive and update.

good think this isnt happeneing in N20

#8 ·
I have experienced the problem several times. In fact, I can recreate it almost every time by getting in the car on a cool morning, driving 0.7 miles to a stoplight and stopping. It will shut the engine with the temperature gauge is still on the bottom peg even though it is not supposed to shut off unless the engine is warmed up. When I release the brake to drive off, about 75% of the time, the engine will stall when it attempts to restart and I have to push the button to start it back up and put it back in gear to drive off. Both annoying and dangerous!

I took my car in last Thursday because of this issue. They attempted the software update and it failed the first time. Then BMW made some sort of change, re-downloaded the update to the dealer's server, and they did the update again, which went through successfully on the second attempt. The dealer told me on Monday that the car was working as designed, so I went and picked it up and drove home with no issues.

Tuesday morning I got in the car, drove to the same stoplight and it still did the exact same thing it was doing before - shut the engine off when it wasn't yet up to operating temperature.

So the car is back at the dealer again now. The regional rep from BMW is visiting the dealership today and is supposed to be getting involved to make sure it gets fixed correctly this time around.

Of course I could alway just press the override button, but I want the d@mn car working correctly!

#9 ·
Tuesday morning I got in the car, drove to the same stoplight and it still did the exact same thing it was doing before - shut the engine off when it wasn't yet up to operating temperature.
Depending on how cold it is when this happens, that may still be within the design specs. I don't think "operating temp." and fully warmed up are the same thing as far as auto stop/start are concerned.

I know on mine it shuts down at a stop sign 60 feet from my house on 50 degree mornings.

Mine was a late February production (production complete 2/24) and I am not having the stalling problems others are reporting, so maybe I got the newer software from the factory. :dunno:

#17 ·
The Start/Stop feature is to save gas. Think of how much gas you'll save by not driving it if you're making a left across traffic, the Start/Stop feature stalls your car right as your nose gets stuck-out into the other lane, and it gets smashed by oncoming traffic... :eeps:

#18 ·
I'm sure its some legal mumbo jumbo where by to get CAFE credit they have to make it by default hard to turn off. Anyways I bet BMW isn't a big fan of that legal requirement and we should see some aftermarket mechanism (could even be secretly supported by BMW) by which this will be taken care of in the future.

#26 · (Edited)
In my test drive experience, it turns on not when you engage the gas, but when you release the brake. Perhaps that's what happened with you?

Edit: more info from the manual.

Starting the engine
The engine starts automatically under the folowing conditions:
-- Manual transmission:
- The clutch pedal is pressed.
-- Automatic transmission:
- By releasing the brake pedal.
- After the engine starts, accelerate as usual.

Safety mode
After the engine switches off automatically, it will not start again automatically if any one of the following conditions are met.
- The driver's safety belt is unbuckled and the driver's door is open.
- The hood was unlocked.

Some indicator lamps light up for varying lengths of time. The engine can only be started via the Start/ Stop button.

#27 · (Edited)
Or perhaps this:
Note
Even if driving away was not intended, the deactivated engine starts up automatically in the following situations:
- Excessive warming of the passenger compartment when the cooling function is switched on.
- The steering wheel is turned.
- Automatic transmission: the transmission position is changed from D to N, R, or M/S.
- Automatic transmission: the transmission position is changed from P to N, D, R, or M/ S.
- The vehicle begins rolling.
- Fogging of the windows when the automatic climate control is switched on.
- The vehicle battery charge is very low.
- Excessive cooling of the passenger compartment when the heating is switched on.
- Low brake vacuum pressure; this can occur, for example, if the brake pedal is depressed a number of times in succession.

http://cache.bmwusa.com/PDF_f7be0ea...3.arox?v=45af12ac-60ad-4a8b-bd9d-33e5debb749a

#34 ·
After almost 2 years of using this feature, I think it is a big win in terms of conserving gasoline.

I now get paranoid if the feature is not working at stop lights during cold starts. Or when i'm driving a car that doesn't have this feature.
To each their own. I despise this feature and wish I could get it coded to default to "off".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.