BMW Opens Second Chinese Factory
BMW and its joint venture partner, Brilliance China Automotive Holdings Ltd., are opening the most sustainable automobile production facility in China and one of the most innovative and flexible automobile production facilities worldwide.
"With our second plant in Shenyang, we will increase our capacity in China to 200.000 vehicles. Together with our partner Brilliance we will further invest 625 million (USD) in China, thus preparing for future growth", said Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, at the official ceremony to mark the opening of the company's second automobile plant in China in the city of Tiexi on Thursday. "With this investment we will increase total capacity of both plants to 300,000 units per year over the medium term. Due to our flexible production structure we will be able to produce up to 400,000 vehicles depending on market development", stated Reithofer.
- Second plant opened with partner Brilliance in Shenyang
- Additional capacity available if needed
- 625 million (USD) in additional invest in local sites
- Joint venture engine plant starts production
- Tiexi most sustainable vehicle plant in China
This brings the two partners' total investment in Chinese locations to around 1.9 billion (USD) since 2009, the year the company announced it would build a second plant.
"China is one of the BMW Group's top three markets worldwide and offers tremendous potential for growth, especially in the premium segment", continued Reithofer. BMW AG has been producing BMW 3 Series and 5 Series models for the Chinese market with its long-standing joint venture partner, Brilliance, in Shenyang since 2003. The opening of the second vehicle plant in China will expand the range of locally-produced models to include the BMW X1. Production of the long-wheelbase version of the BMW 3 Series will also begin in Tiexi over the coming weeks.
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- Radio Swap.. How much coding is required?
- New to BMW - 335is advice
- 93C3 Code
- Certified Pre-Owned w/ Hail Damage?
- How often do you have to top off your coolant?
- Rough Idle, jumping rpm, jolt
- June is Goat Trauma Awareness Month
- JB4 installed last night, have some questions please.
- Traded in my 328 for a 335...very happy
- Advice on buying a 328i manual coupe