BMW is recalling up to 2,642 X5s and X6s that could be effected by a leak in the power steering. The recall effects diesel 2012 E70 X5s and 2013 X5s and X6s. The leaking fluid can spray onto the exhaust system under the hood and poses a fire risk. The leak is the result of a machining error on the steering gear surface. BMW is replacing the defective part under warranty and will be contacting owners that are affected. BMW isn't beginning the recall contact until July so I take it this isn't an urgent situation.
Owners waiting on delivery of their X5 are reporting shipping delays as BMW scrambles to get replacements parts on effected X5s and X6s before they are delivered to new owners.
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 X5 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A DIESEL ENGINE AND 2013 X5 AND X6 VEHICLES. DUE TO A MACHINING ERROR OF THE STEERING GEAR SURFACE, POWER STEERING FLUID MAY LEAK.
LEAKING POWER STEERING FLUID CAN SPRAY ONTO HOT EXHAUST PARTS, INCREASING THE RISK OF AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE.
BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT, AND IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THE STEERING GEAR FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JULY 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW CUSTOMER RELATIONS AND SERVICES AT 1-800-525-7417.
Is your car effected by the recall?
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- Race ramps
- No AUX option in idrive
- Oil on ignition coil?
- Cig burn in leather. Ideas?
- Rear Right Turn Signal Problem (cost of dealer fix) worth it?
- Need opinion on a repair (quoted from dealer) Regarding Rear Tail Light
- I Can't Afford Good Booze Because I Own a BMW - Sputtering Issue While Driving
- Cabin air and engine air filter easy to install? - 2011 BMW 328xi
- Need some help deciding between 535xi or 328xi
- 335i struggling to pick up