Akio Toyoda, President of Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC), met today with Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, at BMW Group headquarters in Munich to announce the planned expansion of their existing cooperation initiated in December last year. The two companies signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) aimed at long-term strategic collaboration in four fields: joint development of a fuel cell system, joint development of architecture and components for a future sports vehicle, collaboration on powertrain electrification and joint research and development on lightweight technologies.
Also today, Norbert Reithofer and Akio Toyoda of TMC both signed a Joint Statement to reconfirm their companies’ shared intention to strengthen the long-term, strategic collaboration between them.
We aim to further strengthen our competitive position in sustainable future technologies. We signed an MoU to this effect today. Toyota and the BMW Group share the same strategic vision of sustainable individual future mobility. Together we have a great opportunity to continue leading our industry through this transformation.
Over the coming months, we will be exploring possibilities for further cooperation
- on the development of powertrain electrification
- research into lightweight technologies
- the development of fuel cells
- future vehicle architectures – for a sports car, for example
In March 2012, the BMW Group and TMC signed a binding agreement on collaborative research in the field of next-generation lithium-ion battery cells. In addition, the BMW Group and Toyota Motor Europe entered into a contract under which the BMW Group will supply highly-efficient 1.6 litre and 2.0 litre diesel engines to Toyota Motor Europe, starting in 2014.
What do you think of a Toyota engine or hybrid drive under the hood of your next Bimmer?
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- Car wont start!! Have no electricity -good battery- starter and generator-
- Tein springs installed...
- Thinking of a 2012 3 series
- Pulsation when braking
- 335 xdrive kw v1 coilover install
- Daft question but.....
- Computer reset - drive cycles
- How Do I Stack the Top Safely ???
- JB4 reading in 1500 increments?
- Air filter removal, motor died? New here!