BMW 4 series coupe 440 spied testing

The all new 3 series coupe, which is being re-branded as a 4 series coupe will debut as a model year 2014 in the summer of 2013. BMW has been busy testing the base model 428i coupe rumored to have the same turbo 4 cylinder N20 that is available in the current 2012 and 2013 328i. The big engine 4 series coupe will have the turbo 6 cylinder N55 found in the 21012 and 2013 335i sedan but the power will be bumped to the 320hp range.

The 4 series test mule spied here is the N55 powered 440i coupe with a power bump to 320hp. The power bump is part of BMW's strategy to move the coupe up market from the 3 series sedan creating a distinction between the sedan and coupe markets as they have done with the 5 and 6 series. The 4 series coupe will come with more standard features and a higher base price furthering the gap between the 3 series sedan and 4 series coupe.

2014 BMW 4 series coupe

Much of the 4 series coupe design is still under wraps as we're just under a year out. While this cars headlights are clearly test car units the final F32 coupe will have a headlight design that mimics the F30 3 series sedan, wrapping all the way from the fender to the kidney grills. The grills will be much wider then the 3 series sedan with a look similar to the 6 series coupe. At the rear the trunk lid has been styled to wrap into the rear window. The big engine 440i retains the split, left and right single exhaust were the 428i will have a left side dual exhaust.

As we get closer to the press launch of the 4 series coupe the camouflage will start to drop off the 4 series so stay tuned for more and more revealing spy shots of the 2014 4 series coupe. Based on the size and general lines you can see so far, do you think the 4 series coupe is going to be HOT or NOT?


Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










67 responses to 2014 BMW 4 Series - 440i Coupe Spied

tturedraider commented:
July 13, 2012, 12:12 pm

Yep, it's a car. Even looks like it's a two door. Are we sure it's not an Acura Integra? Look at those headlights.
sunny5280 commented:
July 13, 2012, 12:17 pm

Is that a trailer hitch?
tim330i commented:
July 13, 2012, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Is that a trailer hitch?
Yes. They do a lot of load testing with some sort of drag inducing trailer device as seen here on the F35 3 series Gran Touring (GT) -

2014 BMW 3 Series Gran Touring


More F35 3 Series GT pictures - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...607&highlight=
tturedraider commented:
July 13, 2012, 12:52 pm

btw - I forgot to mention, STUPID TO THE HIGH HEAVENS THROWING AWAY FORTY YEARS OF HARD WON BRAND IDENTITY BY CALLING THIS CAR A 4 SERIES. People are still pissed they dropped the "ci" designation for the coupes. Someone at BMW corporate, please pull your head out your butt and learn something. Keep the irreplaceable 3 Series name and bring back the "ci" designation for the coupes (and "cic" for the 'verts).

BMW recently recognized as the MOST VALUABLE BRAND IN THE WORLD and they are too stupid to recognize a huge part of that is the 3 Series, including the coupe, and the ///M3, which virtually every person on the planet associates with a coupe or convertible.

This 4 Series crap is a bigger corporate identity blunder than New Coke!!! The entire 3 Series history is built on the two door 3er. Without which there would be no 3 Series sedan at all!!! This "4 Series" is NOTHING SHORT OF BMW BLASPHEMY. It is shameful to the brand.

I guess I ought to email this rant to BMW.
55 commented:
July 13, 2012, 1:05 pm

Beautiful trailer
sr5959 commented:
July 13, 2012, 1:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
btw - I forgot to mention, STUPID TO THE HIGH HEAVENS THROWING AWAY FORTY YEARS OF HARD WON BRAND IDENTITY BY CALLING THIS CAR A 4 SERIES. People are still pissed they dropped the "ci" designation for the coupes. Someone at BMW corporate, please pull you head out your butt and learn something. Keep the irreplaceable 3 Series name and bring back the "ci" designation for the coupes (and "cic" for the 'verts).

BMW recently recognized as the MOST VALUABLE BRAND IN THE WORLD and they are too stupid to recognize a huge part of that is the 3 Series, including the coupe, and the ///M3, which virtually every person on the planet associates with a coupe or convertible.

This 4 Series crap is a bigger corporate identity blunder than New Coke!!! The entire 3 Series history is built on the two door 3er. Without which there would be no 3 Series sedan at all!!! This "4 Series" is NOTHING SHORT OF BMW BLASPHEMY. It is shameful to the brand.

I guess I ought to email this rant to BMW.
I agree (although I'm not quite as worked up about this as you! ).
mohrgan commented:
July 13, 2012, 2:11 pm

tturedraider says it all. BMW is screwing themselves. They are so trying to emulate Audi and yet, it is Audi that has been playing catch up since the 1980s.
tturedraider commented:
July 13, 2012, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
bmw is screwing themselves. They are so trying to emulate audi and yet, it is audi that has been playing catch up since the 1980s.
+1!!!!!
sunny5280 commented:
July 13, 2012, 2:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Yes. They do a lot of load testing with some sort of drag inducing trailer device as seen here on the F35 3 series Gran Touring (GT) -

2014 BMW 3 Series Gran Touring


More F35 3 Series GT pictures - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...607&highlight=
Gotta get one of those "trailers" for the motorcycle.
enigma commented:
July 13, 2012, 2:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
btw - I forgot to mention, STUPID TO THE HIGH HEAVENS THROWING AWAY FORTY YEARS OF HARD WON BRAND IDENTITY BY CALLING THIS CAR A 4 SERIES. People are still pissed they dropped the "ci" designation for the coupes. Someone at BMW corporate, please pull your head out your butt and learn something. Keep the irreplaceable 3 Series name and bring back the "ci" designation for the coupes (and "cic" for the 'verts).

BMW recently recognized as the MOST VALUABLE BRAND IN THE WORLD and they are too stupid to recognize a huge part of that is the 3 Series, including the coupe, and the ///M3, which virtually every person on the planet associates with a coupe or convertible.

This 4 Series crap is a bigger corporate identity blunder than New Coke!!! The entire 3 Series history is built on the two door 3er. Without which there would be no 3 Series sedan at all!!! This "4 Series" is NOTHING SHORT OF BMW BLASPHEMY. It is shameful to the brand.

I guess I ought to email this rant to BMW.
I am not as worked up about this as you as long as they don't ruin the driving experience (which they have with some recent models).

While we are on this topic, how about their stupid 3xx/5xx/6xx/7xx/8xx designation deviation, where "xx" used to mean the engine displacement numbers, not what some marketing guy thought is good for sales numbers.

The whole "sDrive" and "xDrive" designation is also not very well thought out... so what are they going to call the rumored FWD model?
tim330i commented:
July 13, 2012, 2:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
The whole "sDrive" and "xDrive" designation is also not very well thought out... so what are they going to call the rumored FWD model?
fDrive
tturedraider commented:
July 13, 2012, 3:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
I am not as worked up about this as you as long as they don't ruin the driving experience (which they have with some recent models).

While we are on this topic, how about their stupid 3xx/5xx/6xx/7xx/8xx designation deviation, where "xx" used to mean the engine displacement numbers, not what some marketing guy thought is good for sales numbers.

The whole "sDrive" and "xDrive" designation is also not very well thought out... so what are they going to call the rumored FWD model?
BMW has drifted from the literal motor size designation for a long time. The N52/N54 motors made this a necessity, since they both displace three liters. So, the E90 325, 328, 330 and 335 all have motors that displace three liters, but all have different performance specs.

I don't know why they've bothered with "sDrive". But, "xDrive" actually makes sense, because, for marketing purposes, they needed a name for customers to identify with the way Audi has Quattro. Albeit, Quattro is a much cooler sounding name than xDrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
fDrive
My thoughts exactly. Probably an appropriate name as well as the extraneous names the "f" would undoubtedly inspire.
enigma commented:
July 13, 2012, 3:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
BMW has drifted from the literal motor size designation for a long time. The N52/N54 motors made this a necessity, since they both displace three liters. So, the E90 325, 328, 330 and 335 all have motors that displace three liters, but all have different performance specs.

I don't know why they've bothered with "sDrive". But, "xDrive" actually makes sense, because, for marketing purposes, they needed a name for customers to identify with the way Audi has Quattro. Albeit, Quattro is a much cooler sounding name than xDrive.



My thoughts exactly. Probably an appropriate name as well as the extraneous names the "f" would undoubtedly inspire.
I understand the NA vs FI argument. Instead of putting some artificial or random number determined by marketing, they could've used the "t" designation along with the displacement.

As for the "xDrive", what was wrong with "xi" (e.g. 330xi) instead of this God-awful long model names?
mawana commented:
July 13, 2012, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
btw - I forgot to mention, STUPID TO THE HIGH HEAVENS THROWING AWAY FORTY YEARS OF HARD WON BRAND IDENTITY BY CALLING THIS CAR A 4 SERIES. People are still pissed they dropped the "ci" designation for the coupes. Someone at BMW corporate, please pull your head out your butt and learn something. Keep the irreplaceable 3 Series name and bring back the "ci" designation for the coupes (and "cic" for the 'verts).

BMW recently recognized as the MOST VALUABLE BRAND IN THE WORLD and they are too stupid to recognize a huge part of that is the 3 Series, including the coupe, and the ///M3, which virtually every person on the planet associates with a coupe or convertible.

This 4 Series crap is a bigger corporate identity blunder than New Coke!!! The entire 3 Series history is built on the two door 3er. Without which there would be no 3 Series sedan at all!!! This "4 Series" is NOTHING SHORT OF BMW BLASPHEMY. It is shameful to the brand.

I guess I ought to email this rant to BMW.
Guess, if they had designated the '4 Series' to the Sedan, you would be cool with that?

I guess they wanted to keep sedans 'odd', {3,5,7} while making things even with coupes! But the 1-series screws things up - does it mean we have a '2-series' in the works and will it be a coupe, convertible or hatchback?
iamthewalrus commented:
July 13, 2012, 3:25 pm

Agreed on all fronts. The naming has gotten completely out of hand.

1, 3, 5, 7, series
3XX should denote displacement
A "t" suffix is for turbo
X for all-wheel drive
i or d for petrol vs. diesel

It's clear to me what a 530txi is. But maybe us "insiders" who can decode the nomenclature are the exception?

With mobile phones you have the "Samsung Galaxy III S" competing with the "iPhone 4". It's like the "BMW 435i xDrive" competing with the "Audi A5 Quattro". One of those is much cleaner / clearer to me than the other. Maybe the analogy is a little strained, but you get the idea.

-James
2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual, m-sport, xenons, premium, pdc, servotronic)
tim330i commented:
July 13, 2012, 3:28 pm

My guess is that BMW did a lot of focus groups to realize that the average person didn't understand all the naming. We might like I, CI, XI, etc. it does get a little confusing with the extended drive train options. Would an AWD, Turbo, Coupe be a CXTi?

335CXti doesn't sound all that awesome either.

EDIT - Realized it would be a 330CXti under the above naming nomenclature.
tturedraider commented:
July 13, 2012, 3:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawana View Post
Guess, if they had designated the '4 Series' to the Sedan, you would be cool with that?

I guess they wanted to keep sedans 'odd', {3,5,7} while making things even with coupes! But the 1-series screws things up - does it mean we have a '2-series' in the works and will it be a coupe, convertible or hatchback?
Yes. We will soon have a 2 Series.
tturedraider commented:
July 13, 2012, 3:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
I understand the NA vs FI argument. Instead of putting some artificial or random number determined by marketing, they could've used the "t" designation along with the displacement.

As for the "xDrive", what was wrong with "xi" (e.g. 330xi) instead of this God-awful long model names?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
Agreed on all fronts. The naming has gotten completely out of hand.

1, 3, 5, 7, series
3XX should denote displacement
A "t" suffix is for turbo
X for all-wheel drive
i or d for petrol vs. diesel

It's clear to me what a 530txi is. But maybe us "insiders" who can decode the nomenclature are the exception?

With mobile phones you have the "Samsung Galaxy III S" competing with the "iPhone 4". It's like the "BMW 435i xDrive" competing with the "Audi A5 Quattro". One of those is much cleaner / clearer to me than the other. Maybe the analogy is a little strained, but you get the idea.

-James
2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual, m-sport, xenons, premium, pdc, servotronic)
Yes, the nomenclature is clear (mostly) to "insiders", but not to the general public. You give the general public WAY TOO much credit. Most can barely tie their shoes in the morning.

btw, it's the Samsung Galaxy S III.
frowningdeity commented:
July 13, 2012, 4:50 pm

how is it possible to know what engine is in a test mule just by looking at it?
dalekressin commented:
July 13, 2012, 4:58 pm

ahh change is good!
sunny5280 commented:
July 13, 2012, 6:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Yes, the nomenclature is clear (mostly) to "insiders", but not to the general public. You give the general public WAY TOO much credit. Most can barely tie their shoes in the morning.
Yeah...only BMW owners are capable of properly tying their shoes.
tturedraider commented:
July 13, 2012, 6:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Yeah...only BMW owners are capable of properly tying their shoes.
Only about a third of those.



I lost all faith in the intelligence of the America people on 03 November 1992. Since that day nothing that happens in this country surprises me. That is a day I will never forget as long as I live.
CE750Jockey commented:
July 13, 2012, 9:11 pm

Yeah, "4" series, is, eh, it just doesn't work.

And why is there a guy with a dog on a car forum? Cute dog. But I don't get it.
Deinonych commented:
July 13, 2012, 9:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
btw - i forgot to mention, stupid to the high heavens throwing away forty years of hard won brand identity by calling this car a 4 series. People are still pissed they dropped the "ci" designation for the coupes. Someone at bmw corporate, please pull your head out your butt and learn something. Keep the irreplaceable 3 series name and bring back the "ci" designation for the coupes (and "cic" for the 'verts).

Bmw recently recognized as the most valuable brand in the world and they are too stupid to recognize a huge part of that is the 3 series, including the coupe, and the ///m3, which virtually every person on the planet associates with a coupe or convertible.

This 4 series crap is a bigger corporate identity blunder than new coke!!! The entire 3 series history is built on the two door 3er. Without which there would be no 3 series sedan at all!!! This "4 series" is nothing short of bmw blasphemy. It is shameful to the brand.

I guess i ought to email this rant to bmw.
+1
Bemo commented:
July 13, 2012, 10:02 pm

tturedraider commented:
July 13, 2012, 12:52 pm

btw - I forgot to mention, STUPID TO THE HIGH HEAVENS THROWING AWAY FORTY YEARS OF HARD WON BRAND IDENTITY BY CALLING THIS CAR A 4 SERIES. People are still pissed they dropped the "ci" designation for the coupes. Someone at BMW corporate, please pull your head out your butt and learn something. Keep the irreplaceable 3 Series name and bring back the "ci" designation for the coupes (and "cic" for the 'verts).

BMW recently recognized as the MOST VALUABLE BRAND IN THE WORLD and they are too stupid to recognize a huge part of that is the 3 Series, including the coupe, and the ///M3, which virtually every person on the planet associates with a coupe or convertible.

This 4 Series crap is a bigger corporate identity blunder than New Coke!!! The entire 3 Series history is built on the two door 3er. Without which there would be no 3 Series sedan at all!!! This "4 Series" is NOTHING SHORT OF BMW BLASPHEMY. It is shameful to the brand.

I guess I ought to email this rant to BMW.

Yep, stay stuck in the past while the future passes you by.
Elk commented:
July 13, 2012, 10:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I guess I ought to email this rant to BMW.
No question.

I know I enjoyed it.
Shades commented:
July 13, 2012, 11:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
BMW 4 series coupe 440 spied testing

The all new 3 series coupe, which is being re-branded as a 4 series coupe will debut as a model year 2014 in the summer of 2013. BMW has been busy testing the base model 428i coupe rumored to have the same turbo 4 cylinder N20 that is available in the current 2012 and 2013 328i. The big engine 4 series coupe will have the turbo 6 cylinder N55 found in the 21012 and 2013 335i sedan but the power will be bumped to the 320hp range.

The 4 series test mule spied here is the N55 powered 440i coupe with a power bump to 320hp. The power bump is part of BMW's strategy to move the coupe up market from the 3 series sedan creating a distinction between the sedan and coupe markets as they have done with the 5 and 6 series. The 4 series coupe will come with more standard features and a higher base price furthering the gap between the 3 series sedan and 4 series coupe
2014 BMW 4 series coupe

Much of the 4 series coupe design is still under wraps as we're just under a year out. While this cars headlights are clearly test car units the final F32 coupe will have a headlight design that mimics the F30 3 series sedan, wrapping all the way from the fender to the kidney grills. The grills will be much wider then the 3 series sedan with a look similar to the 6 series coupe. At the rear the trunk lid has been styled to wrap into the rear window. The big engine 440i retains the split, left and right single exhaust were the 428i will have a left side dual exhaust.

As we get closer to the press launch of the 4 series coupe the camouflage will start to drop off the 4 series so stay tuned for more and more revealing spy shots of the 2014 4 series coupe. Based on the size and general lines you can see so far, do you think the 4 series coupe is going to be HOT or NOT?
Where is the proof that any of this info is true,i say no way.BMW is just going to throw out the window all the history they have with there number one brand by calling the 3 series coupe a 4 series.An M3 being called a M4,yuck.
The only thing I hope you are right about is if it looks like a mini 6 series,as long as the headlights look like the 6 series and not the F30 sedan.
tturedraider commented:
July 13, 2012, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
tturedraider commented:
July 13, 2012, 12:52 pm

btw - I forgot to mention, STUPID TO THE HIGH HEAVENS THROWING AWAY FORTY YEARS OF HARD WON BRAND IDENTITY BY CALLING THIS CAR A 4 SERIES. People are still pissed they dropped the "ci" designation for the coupes. Someone at BMW corporate, please pull your head out your butt and learn something. Keep the irreplaceable 3 Series name and bring back the "ci" designation for the coupes (and "cic" for the 'verts).

BMW recently recognized as the MOST VALUABLE BRAND IN THE WORLD and they are too stupid to recognize a huge part of that is the 3 Series, including the coupe, and the ///M3, which virtually every person on the planet associates with a coupe or convertible.

This 4 Series crap is a bigger corporate identity blunder than New Coke!!! The entire 3 Series history is built on the two door 3er. Without which there would be no 3 Series sedan at all!!! This "4 Series" is NOTHING SHORT OF BMW BLASPHEMY. It is shameful to the brand.

I guess I ought to email this rant to BMW.

Yep, stay stuck in the past while the future passes you by.
Part of the future is knowing how to use the quote icon.
ws6616 commented:
July 14, 2012, 12:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Where is the proof that any of this info is true,i say no way.BMW is just going to throw out the window all the history they have with there number one brand by calling the 3 series coupe a 4 series.An M3 being called a M4,yuck.
The only thing I hope you are right about is if it looks like a mini 6 series,as long as the headlights look like the 6 series and not the F30 sedan.
A: "i have a M4."
B: "really? you put any sights, rails, or accessories?"
A: "BMW M4"
B: "the hell... thought you were talking about the M4 you take to your shooting range and shoot with"
tturedraider commented:
July 14, 2012, 1:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Where is the proof that any of this info is true,i say no way.BMW is just going to throw out the window all the history they have with there number one brand by calling the 3 series coupe a 4 series.An M3 being called a M4,yuck.
The only thing I hope you are right about is if it looks like a mini 6 series,as long as the headlights look like the 6 series and not the F30 sedan.
+1 - I've seen nothing from BMW to indicate this is true and I HOPE you are correct. It is truly beyond my comprehension they could be so stupid to throw away 40 years of their number one brand identity. Whether it is true or not the idea was clearly conceived by someone smoking crack.
brkf commented:
July 14, 2012, 1:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
btw - I forgot to mention, STUPID TO THE HIGH HEAVENS THROWING AWAY FORTY YEARS OF HARD WON BRAND IDENTITY BY CALLING THIS CAR A 4 SERIES. People are still pissed they dropped the "ci" designation for the coupes. Someone at BMW corporate, please pull your head out your butt and learn something. Keep the irreplaceable 3 Series name and bring back the "ci" designation for the coupes (and "cic" for the 'verts).

BMW recently recognized as the MOST VALUABLE BRAND IN THE WORLD and they are too stupid to recognize a huge part of that is the 3 Series, including the coupe, and the ///M3, which virtually every person on the planet associates with a coupe or convertible.

This 4 Series crap is a bigger corporate identity blunder than New Coke!!! The entire 3 Series history is built on the two door 3er. Without which there would be no 3 Series sedan at all!!! This "4 Series" is NOTHING SHORT OF BMW BLASPHEMY. It is shameful to the brand.

I guess I ought to email this rant to BMW.
Agreed. These same rumors swirled with the e9x line. In the end we never got a 4 did we?
BMW 3-SERIES commented:
July 14, 2012, 1:19 am

This is just speculation of a 4-Series. And its towing a trailer that has Audi TT taillights lol
bmw330ci04 commented:
July 14, 2012, 2:10 pm

All I can really say is I really hope they dont call the 3 coupe a 4.. And I also hope that BMW knows that no one really approves of the idea, and I bet people are just going to rebadge their 4s
Snareman commented:
July 15, 2012, 1:44 am

Thanks for the pics. I check all the time just waiting for someone to post some coupe spy pics. Still a little hard to tell what it looks like, but at least its less like a Mustang than the original pics looked like. Wow, next summer is a long way away!!
johnc_22 commented:
July 15, 2012, 8:17 am

I think their intention of the 4 Series is to take the coupe and convertible more upscale (meaning even more expensive) and because it's a 4 rather than a 3, you'll feel justified in paying it. It will be interesting to see what the pricing is like compared to the F30 if they do call it a 428i/435i.
Mark K commented:
July 15, 2012, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by frowningdeity View Post
how is it possible to know what engine is in a test mule just by looking at it?
Good point. You can't say whether it is N55 or M57. This is in Europe, both are very rare, but N55 reaches the rarity of a unicorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Is that a trailer hitch?
Yes, that is a trailer hitch. Many a German will take 3er or 5er on vacation while dragging a caravan/trailer behind the car. Not just German, mind you, but they are majority where I used to live.

I always wanted to shoot them for driving on secondary roads with almost no straights instead of toll highways making a 20 cars procession a thing to fully expect on your trip. Needless to say, you pick the secondary road because there are no straights, not to avoid the toll.
raleedy commented:
July 16, 2012, 10:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Yeah...only BMW owners are capable of properly tying their shoes.
Loafers.
wattage commented:
July 16, 2012, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
As for the "xDrive", what was wrong with "xi" (e.g. 330xi) instead of this God-awful long model names?
Don't forget, this is a German company. Any language that can come up with a single word "Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübert ragungsgesetz" in it's language will have not problems BMW 328 Xdrive Coupe blah blah blah.
frowningdeity commented:
July 16, 2012, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Good point. You can't say whether it is N55 or M57. This is in Europe, both are very rare, but N55 reaches the rarity of a unicorn.
yeah none of the facts in the OP are substantiated. how can anyone possibly know that the test mule has an N55, or that it's been bumped to 320 hp?

OP, if you have sources for these claims, please cite them. if not, please do not post speculation as certainty.
Snareman commented:
July 16, 2012, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by frowningdeity View Post
yeah none of the facts in the OP are substantiated. how can anyone possibly know that the test mule has an N55, or that it's been bumped to 320 hp?

OP, if you have sources for these claims, please cite them. if not, please do not post speculation as certainty.
I too would like to know the source of the info as everything up until this point has been speculation. Even my dealer who is pretty sure its going to be a 4 series still doesn't have hard info on it. That said, Tim has been around here for a long time (11 years) and is an administrator. I don't think he'd post something that was purely speculation.
frowningdeity commented:
July 16, 2012, 1:38 pm

unless proven otherwise, i can only consider these claims to be speculation. i am sure the OP has a sterling reputation around here, but that doesn't magically make sourceless information into fact.

the change from 3 to 4 series, the nomenclature of 440, the engine specifications... i don't see how anyone could know it just from some pictures.
Snareman commented:
July 16, 2012, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by frowningdeity View Post
unless proven otherwise, i can only consider these claims to be speculation. i am sure the OP has a sterling reputation around here, but that doesn't magically make sourceless information into fact.

the change from 3 to 4 series, the nomenclature of 440, the engine specifications... i don't see how anyone could know it just from some pictures.
I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. I too would like to see the source info. Really just for the 4 series part at least. All the info I've seen says its going to be a 4 series. I've seen nothing anywhere, nor has my dealer, that its going to be another 3 series, much as I think I wish it would be. So his info at least fits with everything else we've all seen.
Keyser Soze commented:
July 16, 2012, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Yes, the nomenclature is clear (mostly) to "insiders", but not to the general public. You give the general public WAY TOO much credit. Most can barely tie their shoes in the morning.

btw, it's the Samsung Galaxy S III.
Wait, you mean the people that think a 525 will C R U S H a 330 just because 5 is a higher number and it cost more? :suicide:


....want that trailer
mclaren commented:
July 16, 2012, 8:17 pm

Maybe it's the 228 ? Seriously, I've been looking at Porsche lately and they raise the hell out of prices and don't call the 911 a 1011. A lightly optioned 911S Cab, the new 991, had an MSRP of 120k ! BMW is scared to death of raising prices, they just cheapen the cars. It might be the right business decision but as a car person I don't like it.
desertpilot commented:
July 17, 2012, 2:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6616 View Post
A: "i have a M4."
B: "really? you put any sights, rails, or accessories?"
A: "BMW M4"
B: "the hell... thought you were talking about the M4 you take to your shooting range and shoot with"
Heh, this is the first thing I thought when I read M4, too.
tim330i commented:
July 17, 2012, 5:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by frowningdeity View Post
unless proven otherwise, i can only consider these claims to be speculation. i am sure the OP has a sterling reputation around here, but that doesn't magically make sourceless information into fact.

the change from 3 to 4 series, the nomenclature of 440, the engine specifications... i don't see how anyone could know it just from some pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. I too would like to see the source info. Really just for the 4 series part at least. All the info I've seen says its going to be a 4 series. I've seen nothing anywhere, nor has my dealer, that its going to be another 3 series, much as I think I wish it would be. So his info at least fits with everything else we've all seen.
We know there will be a BMW M4. The BMW NA CEO specifically stated BMW will build an M3 and and M4 at Bimmerfest in May. If there is going to be an M4, then there has to be a 4 series to base it off of.

You can call it "speculation" if you want, but this is based on a lot of research. I spend a good deal of time discussing the future of BMW with both people at BMW, who can only say so much. And other automotive journalists who have a good sense of where the auto market and BMW are going. The writing is on the wall, I'm connecting A, B and C.
tturedraider commented:
July 17, 2012, 6:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
We know there will be a BMW M4. The BMW NA CEO specifically stated BMW will build an M3 and and M4 at Bimmerfest in May. If there is going to be an M4, then there has to be a 4 series to base it off of.

You can call it "speculation" if you want, but this is based on a lot of research. I spend a good deal of time discussing the future of BMW with both people at BMW, who can only say so much. And other automotive journalists who have a good sense of where the auto market and BMW are going. The writing is on the wall, I'm connecting A, B and C.
So, BMWNA is officially stupid.
adgrant commented:
July 17, 2012, 10:12 pm

I don't get all the fuss. What BMW did to the steering of their new models was far more damaging to the brand than calling a 3 series couple, a 4 series could ever be. Then there was the X6 and 5GT.

Also in the US, the models that spend the least time on the lot are the X3 and X5. In the suburbs of NYC, the X5 can hard to find on dealer lots.
tturedraider commented:
July 17, 2012, 10:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
I don't get all the fuss. What BMW did to the steering of their new models was far more damaging to the brand than calling a 3 series couple, a 4 series could ever be. Then there was the X6 and 5GT.

Also in the US, the models that spend the least time on the lot are the X3 and X5. In the suburbs of NYC, the X5 can hard to find on dealer lots.
Think New Coke. You don't spend decades building a brand and then flush it down the toilet for the sake of newness.
GVFlyer commented:
July 17, 2012, 10:57 pm

I use Magpul Pmag magazines in my M4, 30 rounds and no feeding problems ever... Oh, wait.
Shades commented:
July 18, 2012, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
We know there will be a BMW M4. The BMW NA CEO specifically stated BMW will build an M3 and and M4 at Bimmerfest in May. If there is going to be an M4, then there has to be a 4 series to base it off of.

You can call it "speculation" if you want, but this is based on a lot of research. I spend a good deal of time discussing the future of BMW with both people at BMW, who can only say so much. And other automotive journalists who have a good sense of where the auto market and BMW are going. The writing is on the wall, I'm connecting A, B and C.
I guess we will have to wait and see what happens,you seem to have the info from BMW corporate but I still don't get it from a marketing perspective.The 3 series has always had a sedan and a coupe.All of the sudden you start calling the coupe a 4 series,what's the up side.The M3 coupe will now be the M4 coupe.If BMW decides to do the M3 sedan again it will still be called an M3,when the original M3 was only available in the coupe for the first and third generation and sells way more than the sedan.How does it benefit BMW to do it?If it was my company I wouldn't do it.One thing is for sure,if they have decided to do this then the exterior and interior of the two cars will have to be totally different.It would be ridiculous for them to keep the same basic design and call them two different series.
adgrant commented:
July 18, 2012, 9:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Think New Coke. You don't spend decades building a brand and then flush it down the toilet for the sake of newness.
It's still going to have a Roundel on the hood. That's the branding most people care about.
dunderhi commented:
July 18, 2012, 9:56 pm

Mercedes has already begun the process of realigning/renaming their models, e.g. CLK is now the E Coupe. The next CL will be a S Coupe. Audi abandoned their 80 nameplate despite 30 years of history. Anyone complaining today about the A4/S4/RS4 nameplates? So, I think 1,3,5,7 for sedans; 2,4,6,8 for coupes; X1,X3,X5,X7 for traditional SUVs; and X2,X4,X6 for CoupeUVs makes sense to me. If they happen to make an abomination, then call it a GT.
MonkeyCMonkeyDo commented:
July 18, 2012, 11:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Mercedes has already begun the process of realigning/renaming their models, e.g. CLK is now the E Coupe. The next CL will be a S Coupe. Audi abandoned their 80 nameplate despite 30 years of history. Anyone complaining today about the A4/S4/RS4 nameplates? So, I think 1,3,5,7 for sedans; 2,4,6,8 for coupes; X1,X3,X5,X7 for traditional SUVs; and X2,X4,X6 for CoupeUVs makes sense to me. If they happen to make an abomination, then call it a GT.
So what happens with the 640 gram coupe. It is a sedan but they call it a coupe? Now head...blown!
dunderhi commented:
July 19, 2012, 12:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post
So what happens with the 640 gram coupe. It is a sedan but they call it a coupe? Now head...blown!
BMW tell us that the Gran Coupe is a Coupe, so it must be a 6 Series. Right? I guess it comes down to how does one classifiy a coupe versus a sedan. Is just the number of doors or does a low roofline that makes a coupe?

Well, here's an official standard: The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) distinguishes a coupe from a sedan primarily by interior volume; SAE standard J1100 defines a coupe as a fixed-roof automobile with less than 33 cubic feet of rear interior volume. Fixed-roof two door cars with that do not meet this spec are two door sedans. Thanks Wikipedia!
rajens00 commented:
July 28, 2012, 6:40 am

Just another nail in the BMW corporate coffin. With all the serious mistakes BMW has been making lately I suspect they must have new executives making bad decisions.

After 16 years of 3 series loyalty I had already written them off anyways when I test drove the new generation 3 series. The car has many problems but the 3 show stoppers have to be:

1. Auto On/Off that can't be disabled other than every time you get in the car.
2. The cheap idrive screen that appears to be an afterthought when the designers realized they had forgotten to make room for the display. It looks like my daughter left her IPad propped up on top of the dash.
3. The electric steering disqualifies the 3 series from being an "Ultimate Driving Machine" and that's the essence of any BMW.
tim330i commented:
July 28, 2012, 11:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajens00 View Post
2. The cheap idrive screen that appears to be an afterthought when the designers realized they had forgotten to make room for the display. It looks like my daughter left her IPad propped up on top of the dash.
That was exactly the look BMW was going for. They wanted it to look like an iPad or flat screen TV. I understand that you don't like it, just clarifying that it was what they intended.

I also don't think the ESP rules out it being a good driving car. The NSX has electric steering, as does the Tesla and both are considered to have great driving dynamics.

Tim
tturedraider commented:
July 28, 2012, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajens00 View Post
Just another nail in the BMW corporate coffin. With all the serious mistakes BMW has been making lately I suspect they must have new executives making bad decisions.

After 16 years of 3 series loyalty I had already written them off anyways when I test drove the new generation 3 series. The car has many problems but the 3 show stoppers have to be:

1. Auto On/Off that can't be disabled other than every time you get in the car.
2. The cheap idrive screen that appears to be an afterthought when the designers realized they had forgotten to make room for the display. It looks like my daughter left her IPad propped up on top of the dash.
3. The electric steering disqualifies the 3 series from being an "Ultimate Driving Machine" and that's the essence of any BMW.
B'bye.
enigma commented:
July 30, 2012, 2:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
BMW tell us that the Gran Coupe is a Coupe, so it must be a 6 Series. Right? I guess it comes down to how does one classifiy a coupe versus a sedan. Is just the number of doors or does a low roofline that makes a coupe?

Well, here's an official standard: The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) distinguishes a coupe from a sedan primarily by interior volume; SAE standard J1100 defines a coupe as a fixed-roof automobile with less than 33 cubic feet of rear interior volume. Fixed-roof two door cars with that do not meet this spec are two door sedans. Thanks Wikipedia!
It's becoming apparent that BMW's definition of "Coupe" is the shape of the roofline: 6er GC, X6, and the rumored 4er GC all have 4 doors.
airhunt commented:
October 9, 2012, 10:58 am

Agree with most, "4" won't have a great connotation for Chinese as a huge market in China, and all over the World. "4" is "Si" or translated as Dead!! They should reconsider..Ironically, I have Z4!! LOL
3284me commented:
October 9, 2012, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Yes. We will soon have a 2 Series.
Yes with 4 doors to really mess things up.
-=Hot|Ice=- commented:
October 9, 2012, 8:45 pm

440i...Someone shoot me now, please.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 9, 2012, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
btw - I forgot to mention, STUPID TO THE HIGH HEAVENS THROWING AWAY FORTY YEARS OF HARD WON BRAND IDENTITY BY CALLING THIS CAR A 4 SERIES. People are still pissed they dropped the "ci" designation for the coupes. Someone at BMW corporate, please pull your head out your butt and learn something. Keep the irreplaceable 3 Series name and bring back the "ci" designation for the coupes (and "cic" for the 'verts).

BMW recently recognized as the MOST VALUABLE BRAND IN THE WORLD and they are too stupid to recognize a huge part of that is the 3 Series, including the coupe, and the ///M3, which virtually every person on the planet associates with a coupe or convertible.

This 4 Series crap is a bigger corporate identity blunder than New Coke!!! The entire 3 Series history is built on the two door 3er. Without which there would be no 3 Series sedan at all!!! This "4 Series" is NOTHING SHORT OF BMW BLASPHEMY. It is shameful to the brand.

I guess I ought to email this rant to BMW.


Oh, how they used to mock me in 2007.

BJ
Lorenzzo commented:
October 9, 2012, 10:29 pm

Oh my God, this is not happening!!!!!
dunderhi commented:
October 9, 2012, 11:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Think New Coke. You don't spend decades building a brand and then flush it down the toilet for the sake of newness.
New Coke failed, but I love the Diet New Coke (Coke Zero).

I guess we are lucky there weren't internet forums when BMW abandoned their tried-and-true three & four digit number (501/502/503/600/1500/1800/2000/2002/2500/2800) nomeclature for the radically nontraditional 3,5,6,7 Series naming convention. Just imagine... no one had a public forum to vent their outrage.

So are we talking about changing the name of the M3Ci? Oh wait there isn't an M3Ci! It was just the M3, but I thought the M3 had four doors. I wonder who started that confusing naming convention? Oh I wish there was away to name this cars so I wouldn't be confused. Hmmm.... the M3 (the coupe and convertible, not the identically named sedan) is dead long, long live the M4!
dunderhi commented:
October 9, 2012, 11:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post


Oh, how they used to mock me in 2007.

BJ
Where's the ///M428 badge?
Keyser Soze commented:
October 10, 2012, 12:38 am

TBH, for the VAST MAJORITY of non-Fester type potential buyers out there.........and since "4" is higher than "3" and it costs more - it MUST be faster AND better just because! *tries to "race" a 335 in their 428 and loses* DERP