Head Rest

by Bimmerfest.com Member - vern on July 26, 2012, 9:27 am
Is there any way to make the head rests to come down flush to the top of the front seats ? TIA
cheers
vern

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

14 responses to Head Rest

floydarogers commented:
July 26, 2012, 10:06 am

Probably not. The NHTSA changed the requirements for headrests about 5 years ago, because the position of the previous ones (on all cars) could be too low and too far back to prevent whiplash.
vern commented:
July 26, 2012, 11:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Probably not. The NHTSA changed the requirements for headrests about 5 years ago, because the position of the previous ones (on all cars) could be too low and too far back to prevent whiplash.
I realize what your saying but I feel I can lower them and still be protected from whiplash thats why I'm looking for away to do it.
cheers
vern
bcl0328 commented:
July 26, 2012, 12:09 pm

there was a way posted a while ago, might have to search. you insert a piece of plastic into the metal part or something. my passenger one is flush so it is possible.
vern commented:
July 26, 2012, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
there was a way posted a while ago, might have to search. you insert a piece of plastic into the metal part or something. my passenger one is flush so it is possible.
Tried doing a search without any luck
cheers
vern
bcl0328 commented:
July 26, 2012, 2:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Tried doing a search without any luck
cheers
vern
Directions
Quote:
Don't bother with the dealer.

You need a thin strong plastic piece about 10cm x 5cm. I used a safety tag from a children's car seat. Like the ones from a new mattress or a sofa. It needs to be thin and strong.

Tilt the seats way back.
Take the headrest off.
Both holes have a horizontal pins.
Fold the plastic piece in half length wise twice so it's about 10cmx1cm.
Put the plastic in the hole half way by the pin that does not have the release button.
This will block the teeth of the headrest from engaging the pin.
Put the headrest poles back. Push the button and slide all the way down.
Pull plastic out. Voila!

Do not use a metal tool as it may scratch your bimmer. Do not use thicker plastic as it will create too much pressure. A chip bag wrapper will likely work. The material should not tear or stretch easily.
vern commented:
July 26, 2012, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
Directions
Quote:
Don't bother with the dealer.

You need a thin strong plastic piece about 10cm x 5cm. I used a safety tag from a children's car seat. Like the ones from a new mattress or a sofa. It needs to be thin and strong.

Tilt the seats way back.
Take the headrest off.
Both holes have a horizontal pins.
Fold the plastic piece in half length wise twice so it's about 10cmx1cm.
Put the plastic in the hole half way by the pin that does not have the release button.
This will block the teeth of the headrest from engaging the pin.
Put the headrest poles back. Push the button and slide all the way down.
Pull plastic out. Voila!

Do not use a metal tool as it may scratch your bimmer. Do not use thicker plastic as it will create too much pressure. A chip bag wrapper will likely work. The material should not tear or stretch easily.
Thanks,I'll have to try it. Thanks again.
cheers
vern
vern commented:
July 26, 2012, 3:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Thanks,I'll have to try it. Thanks again.
cheers
vern
Tried to take the head rest out and you can't. I guess its because of the fix that they came up with with the hose clamp to prevent you from doing that.
cheers
vern
tim330i commented:
July 26, 2012, 3:36 pm

Did you have the fix done?

EDIT - Tried removing the headrests on the Bimmerfest Project 328i and it came out so I'm assuming you've had the recall performed. You can take the seat apart and remove the hose clamp I guess.

Tim
tim330i commented:
July 26, 2012, 3:43 pm

In thinking about this more you could try wrapping the tag around the headrest post and trying to get it to slide past the pin without removing the headrest entirely. Worth a try.

Tim
vern commented:
July 26, 2012, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
In thinking about this more you could try wrapping the tag around the headrest post and trying to get it to slide past the pin without removing the headrest entirely. Worth a try.

Tim
I'll give it a try. Thanks
cheers
vern
vern commented:
July 27, 2012, 10:06 am

Where can I get a schematic of the head rest and seat back? TIA
cheers
vern
tim330i commented:
July 27, 2012, 10:14 am

Any of these help?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...13&hg=52&fg=10

Tim
vern commented:
July 27, 2012, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Thanks for the information. Looks like I will have to take the seat back off to really get a good look the way its assembled.
cheers
vern
tim330i commented:
July 27, 2012, 12:10 pm

Correct, the seat back has to come off. If the hose clamp recall was performed on your F30 there should be a round sticker on the drivers side front door jam.

Tim