The 2013 Z4 gets a face lift or LCI from BMW. Half way through the production cycle BMW changes the design of the car to keep it fresh, what they call a life cycle impulse (LCI) or a facelift. The amount of changes depend on how BMW feels the sales are coming, if a car is selling well they don't mess with it, if the sales are starting to slump major changes are made. In the case of the Z4 BMW feels sales are doing just fine as there are very little cosmetic changes.
The headlights are getting a touch up, as are the rear tail lights. On the side the turn signals are moving from the fenders to the mirrors to comply with regulatory changes in Europe. We expect a few minor interior changes as well but that is about it. This is a fairly minor life cycle impulse for BMW, while not unheard of I am a little surprised at the lack of changes. I was expecting a new front and rear bumper at least.
Beyond the exterior and limited interior cosmetic changes the Z4 does get a substantial improvement in standard equipment for 2013. Starting in July all Z4s produced will have the following standard -
- Comfort access (322)
- Wind deflector (387)
- Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors (430 / 431)
- Ambient lighting (563)
- Lumbar support (488)
- Smoker's package (including one 12V power outlet, 441)
- Universal garage door opener (319)
- Compass (4NA)
Additionally, each model gets further standard equipment upgrades:
- Power front seats with driver memory (459)
- Dual-zone automatic air conditioning (534)
- Aluminum trim (4AD) Z4 sDrive35i:
- 18" light alloy multi-spoke wheels style 293 (2S5)
- Sport seats (481)
- BMW Assist (639)
- Hi-Fi Premium sound system (677)
As an added bonus BMW has strengthened the folding hardtop mechanism to allow hardtop operation up to 25 MPH. While the visual changes to the 2013 Z4 are limited there is a solid round of upgrades coming to the Z4. For those wondering if the new iDrive system will be included for the model year 2013 Z4s it will not. It is likely to be integrated later in the year, in the November time frame.
What do you think BMW is going to change to the head lights and tail lights?
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- Erratic idle E90, what exactly does the valvetronic/eccentric shaft sensor do?
- Color Mod
- Manual Transmission issues 328 -opinions?
- DC AREA Car Detail and scratch removal?
- 2009 BMW 328i LCI Halogen LED Bulbs from e92lighting
- Aftermarket Interior Trim (not CF)
- New to me - 2011 335D M-Sport + Premium Package
- 335I dash cluster battery warning
- Anyone here with upgraded turbos?
- Looking to do a swap on my 2006 325i???