2013 Facelifted Z4 Spy Pictures

by Tim Jones on July 30, 2012, 5:44 pm
BMW Z4 2013 facelift LCI

The 2013 Z4 gets a face lift or LCI from BMW. Half way through the production cycle BMW changes the design of the car to keep it fresh, what they call a life cycle impulse (LCI) or a facelift. The amount of changes depend on how BMW feels the sales are coming, if a car is selling well they don't mess with it, if the sales are starting to slump major changes are made. In the case of the Z4 BMW feels sales are doing just fine as there are very little cosmetic changes.

The headlights are getting a touch up, as are the rear tail lights. On the side the turn signals are moving from the fenders to the mirrors to comply with regulatory changes in Europe. We expect a few minor interior changes as well but that is about it. This is a fairly minor life cycle impulse for BMW, while not unheard of I am a little surprised at the lack of changes. I was expecting a new front and rear bumper at least.

2013 BMW Z4 LCI

Beyond the exterior and limited interior cosmetic changes the Z4 does get a substantial improvement in standard equipment for 2013. Starting in July all Z4s produced will have the following standard -
  • Comfort access (322)
  • Wind deflector (387)
  • Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors (430 / 431)
  • Ambient lighting (563)
  • Lumbar support (488)
  • Smoker's package (including one 12V power outlet, 441)
  • Universal garage door opener (319)
  • Compass (4NA)

Additionally, each model gets further standard equipment upgrades:

Z4 sDrive28i:
  • Power front seats with driver memory (459)
  • Dual-zone automatic air conditioning (534)
  • Aluminum trim (4AD) Z4 sDrive35i:
  • 18" light alloy multi-spoke wheels style 293 (2S5)
  • Sport seats (481)
Z4 sDrive35is:
  • BMW Assist (639)
  • Hi-Fi Premium sound system (677)

As an added bonus BMW has strengthened the folding hardtop mechanism to allow hardtop operation up to 25 MPH. While the visual changes to the 2013 Z4 are limited there is a solid round of upgrades coming to the Z4. For those wondering if the new iDrive system will be included for the model year 2013 Z4s it will not. It is likely to be integrated later in the year, in the November time frame.

What do you think BMW is going to change to the head lights and tail lights?

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

14 responses to 2013 Facelifted Z4 Spy Pictures

mclaren commented:
July 30, 2012, 6:47 pm

Interesting, I'm seriously thinking of ordering a yeller one. I wonder when the website will be updated so a '13 model can be configured ?
neve1064 commented:
July 31, 2012, 5:20 pm

Probably in December.

The hood looks different to me than the '12.
iwanna330cic commented:
August 1, 2012, 9:11 pm

Other than being able to operate the top up to 25mph, I say, "meh... get the 2012"

Doug
ProRail commented:
August 3, 2012, 9:21 pm

It saddens me to know that BMW must make cosmetic changes to maintain market share, but I understand from several years on this forum that appearance is VERY important to many BMW owners. As long as they don't mess up the basic functions of the car, IMO they can do whatever they want.
Paul III commented:
August 6, 2012, 1:40 pm

In 2009, when the retractable hardtop was first launched, see [url]http://www.bmw.com/en/newvehicles/z4/z4/2009/allfacts/design/hardtop.html, the web site hailed that "you can open or close the roof safely up to a speed of 40km/h" or 24.8 mp/h. Does anybody know what happened in between then and now to change something?
BlueZ4AZ commented:
August 6, 2012, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul III View Post
In 2009, when the retractable hardtop was first launched, see [url]http://www.bmw.com/en/newvehicles/z4/z4/2009/allfacts/design/hardtop.html, the web site hailed that "you can open or close the roof safely up to a speed of 40km/h" or 24.8 mp/h. Does anybody know what happened in between then and now to change something?
BMW attorneys intervened and like most attorneys, their intervention somehow, someway resulted in a negative result at the expense of saving their client from lawsuits. Just a hunch.
flpnout commented:
August 12, 2012, 12:57 am

Looking forward to seeing full pics soon without the camo wraps.
gekisai29 commented:
August 12, 2012, 12:43 pm

not to start an argument but amazing how ayyorneys are the villains until you personally need one
BlueZ4AZ commented:
August 13, 2012, 2:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekisai29 View Post
not to start an argument but amazing how ayyorneys are the villains until you personally need one
...said the.....attorney.
tsoc88 commented:
August 13, 2012, 6:57 pm

Here's the odd thing about the 2013 - You can only build an 2012 on the BMW site, but you can look at lease offers for a 2013!
So how do you build it?
Zcar commented:
August 13, 2012, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neve1064 View Post
Probably in December.

The hood looks different to me than the '12.
To me the hood looks a little shorter than the current model, but maybe the photo angle....
gekisai29 commented:
August 13, 2012, 10:33 pm

never said i could type..but that doesn't change the reality of what i said
Cvaria commented:
August 15, 2012, 10:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by flpnout View Post
Looking forward to seeing full pics soon without the camo wraps.

i love the black top!

flpnout commented:
August 15, 2012, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvaria View Post
i love the black top!
Thanks! Its like a refreshed sportier look.