BMW 3 Series Diesel verses Audi A4 - A Preview of Coming US Diesel War

by Tim Jones on August 15, 2012, 12:27 pm
BMW F30 3 series diesel verses Audi A4 TDI

European publication Auto Express puts the Euro spec 320d ED head to head with the Audi A4 TDIe to see which diesel is the best. The results -

Quote:
This result is further proof of the 3 Series’ sheer dominance over the market, and BMW’s expertise in efficiency is clear across its model line-up. None of the car’s rivals has yet managed to come close to offering the same combination of low emissions and lively on-road performance. It’s not often that the cheapest car to own in a range is also the best to drive, and few cars appeal to heart and head quite as easily as the new 320d ED.
Read the complete review of the BMW 320d vs Audi A4 TDIe

With a 2.0 and 3.0 liter diesels powered F30s 3 series on the way to the US in the near future this is a preview of the head to head battles we're going to see in the diesel market. BMW's diesel E90s tested well but the sales numbers were limited. Will the F30 diesel finally make significant sales in the US? Is anyone waiting until there is a diesel power plant under the hood to pick up their F30?


Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










13 responses to BMW 3 Series Diesel verses Audi A4 - A Preview of Coming US Diesel War

beden1 commented:
August 15, 2012, 2:45 pm

I test drove a VW TDI with a manual transmission yesterday and was surprised by how smooth it was, as well as fun to drive. A terrific bargain for around $25,000 nicely equipped.

I was at the Audi/VW dealer waiting for our Audi S4 to be serviced and they offered me test drives in any car I wanted to take out (except for the R8 unfortunately).
E90 Enthusiast commented:
August 17, 2012, 12:34 pm

I'd love for their to be a 'd' version of the F30 available in the states. However, I'm not holding my breath that it will be in production by the time I do my ED next July.
55 commented:
August 17, 2012, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I test drove a VW TDI with a manual transmission yesterday and was surprised by how smooth it was, as well as fun to drive. A terrific bargain for around $25,000 nicely equipped.

I was at the Audi/VW dealer waiting for our Audi S4 to be serviced and they offered me test drives in any car I wanted to take out (except for the R8 unfortunately).
VW diesel is high maintanance: have to replace the timing belt once in a while. Not an easy job, difficult access, dealer charges $1000.
engelbert commented:
August 17, 2012, 2:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I test drove a VW TDI with a manual transmission yesterday and was surprised by how smooth it was, as well as fun to drive. A terrific bargain for around $25,000 nicely equipped.
What VW TDI can you actually get for that? A jetta? A Passat TDI looks to be 31. That must have been a little Jetta. Not to look down upon a Jetta, but are all vehicles Jetta/Passat/A4 to have the same powerplant??
d geek commented:
August 17, 2012, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 View Post
VW diesel is high maintanance: have to replace the timing belt once in a while. Not an easy job, difficult access, dealer charges $1000.
This is due every 120k mi. Not a huge expense.
d geek commented:
August 17, 2012, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by engelbert View Post
...are all vehicles Jetta/Passat/A4 to have the same powerplant??
Same displacement and power in the Jetta and Passat, but the Passat uses urea, has a lower pressure HPFP, and different injectors. I'm not sure which one the A4 has.
d geek commented:
August 17, 2012, 3:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 Enthusiast View Post
I'd love for their to be a 'd' version of the F30 available in the states. However, I'm not holding my breath that it will be in production by the time I do my ED next July.
Are you interested in the 320d or 330d? Based on the info released last month, the 320d should be available to us for MY14. Not sure which models will use the 6 cyl diesel.
dtc100 commented:
August 17, 2012, 5:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
Same displacement and power, but the Passat uses urea, has a lower pressure HPFP, and different injectors.
What does the A4 use, feces?
d geek commented:
August 17, 2012, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
What does the A4 use, feces?
I'm not sure what the A4 uses, but the tdi used in the smaller A3, Jetta, Golf and New Beetle utilize a different technology for NOx reduction. Their lower chassis weight allows them to "get away with" not using urea injection, although I think in the long run urea is better because the Passat has better fuel economy than the others.
bmw_or_audi commented:
August 18, 2012, 3:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by engelbert View Post
What VW TDI can you actually get for that? A jetta? A Passat TDI looks to be 31.
Looks to be? How hard is it to go to vw.com and check the price? It starts at $26K.
alpinweiss commented:
August 18, 2012, 5:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
Looks to be? How hard is it to go to vw.com and check the price? It starts at $26K.
$26k will buy you a nicely equipped Passat Diesel SE model with a fun-to-drive 6-speed manual transmission. This is NOT a stripped-down model.

55 commented:
August 18, 2012, 11:43 pm

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App
55 commented:
August 18, 2012, 11:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
This is due every 120k mi. Not a huge expense.
My Canadian friends with Jettas told me it is 80k(kilometers). I can be wrong...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App