We Have New Spy Photos of the Next Generation BMW X5

by Mark Jurista on August 30, 2012, 2:39 pm
2014 BMW X5

The next generation X5 will be going on sale in 2013 as a 2014 model and the we have our hands on a new set of photos of the test mule. While the camo is slowly coming off, we are able to make out the front grill this time around versus the last set of photos that came out a month ago.

2014 BMW X5

Under the skin the X5 will share the general drivetrain components from the recently launched BMW X3, expanding on BMW's 'X for all' concept. Engines will be updated versions of the current engines and I wouldn't be surprised to see an 4 cylinder N20 powered X5, but perhaps not state side. As always, we won't get as many engine choices as our friends in Europe.

Is anyone holding out on buying an X5 until this new model gets fully unveiled?


Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










18 responses to We Have New Spy Photos of the Next Generation BMW X5

Needsdecaf commented:
August 30, 2012, 3:00 pm

I am definitely waiting. My wife's MDX could stand replacing but it's still got plenty of life left so there's no hurry. As much as I love the current X5, after owning an F10, going back to the old dash and the smaller iDrive display just grates on me. Part of me will wonder if I made a mistake, however if the new model doesn't light my fire, there are always choices. The new MDX will be out soon, as will the new Q7 and the new Volvo XC90. Spoiled for choice!

Then, there's always a CPO E70...

P.S. Why does the 7 series in pic 5 have camo on it......how old are these pics?
AutoUnion commented:
August 30, 2012, 3:05 pm

^ I've seen these pics, at least a few weeks ago.
gresch commented:
August 30, 2012, 3:42 pm

I"m not waiting, ordered an X535D 2 weeks ago, and that's after having an '01, '04 and an '08. I wanted a diesel and the deal was too good to pass up.
alex md commented:
August 30, 2012, 7:15 pm

def waiting, my F10 550 xi M lease will be up and i would love to go back to X5 or at least compare 2014 X5 with PC
pa50i commented:
August 30, 2012, 11:36 pm

The front hood line is a turn off for me over the current wrapped over look that includes the grill. I love the current hood and side lines and wonder about this losing some of the muscular look. I think it will look less muscular in the same way that the cayenne became more feminine and Hyundai-ish. Hope not, but I bet it does.
fq commented:
August 30, 2012, 11:48 pm

What kind of deal were you able to get? I am in the market and would love to know what I can expect. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gresch View Post
I"m not waiting, ordered an X535D 2 weeks ago, and that's after having an '01, '04 and an '08. I wanted a diesel and the deal was too good to pass up.
rattmann commented:
August 31, 2012, 2:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa50i View Post
the front hood line is a turn off for me over the current wrapped over look that includes the grill. I love the current hood and side lines and wonder about this losing some of the muscular look. I think it will look less muscular in the same way that the cayenne became more feminine and hyundai-ish. Hope not, but i bet it does.
1+
gresch commented:
August 31, 2012, 10:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa50i View Post
The front hood line is a turn off for me over the current wrapped over look that includes the grill. I love the current hood and side lines and wonder about this losing some of the muscular look. I think it will look less muscular in the same way that the cayenne became more feminine and Hyundai-ish. Hope not, but I bet it does.
I agree, the front looks a bit too much like VAG vehicles, especially the Q line.
kck7 commented:
September 4, 2012, 2:33 pm

I do believe I see a bit of the (to date unique) F30 design component, ie the headlights "blending" into the grill. In the second pic, left side (ie right headlamp), the grill seems to taper off into that headlamp, a la F30.
lxs2bmw commented:
September 4, 2012, 9:39 pm

I decided against waiting and recently picked up a new one for my wife. There are always trade offs but I'm very happy with the E70 (this is our 2nd). It looks muscular and has most of the bugs worked out of it by now. I agree with others that I prefer the new dash layout and larger iDrive screen. I'll grab a '14'or '15.
wanderlust commented:
September 4, 2012, 10:04 pm

Thank god I didnt wait.
hotrod2448 commented:
September 5, 2012, 7:23 am

I'll wait until the new one is out and then try to get a sweet deal on a left over E70 35d. I'm not really a fan of BMW's latest offerings and I expect all the same gimmicks on the new X5.
NoI4plz commented:
September 5, 2012, 8:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I'll wait until the new one is out and then try to get a sweet deal on a left over E70 35d. I'm not really a fan of BMW's latest offerings and I expect all the same gimmicks on the new X5.
+1 hopefully if they don't sell out due to demand or give horrible deals
swisstype commented:
September 5, 2012, 9:02 am

I have had my ups and downs with my X5 (2008 4.8) but it has been mechaincally great and I do love it. That being said, I have quite a few miles on it and know I can drive it a bit more, but I have been looking at the new X5 spy shots and am not super happy. I do like the new MB GL550, though and that is a strong consideration for my next vehicle. I will wait till the camo comes off and see what it really looks like, but I have to say that a 430 HP V8 in the GL will be tough to beat, coupled with the room and how MB finished it off.
NoI4plz commented:
September 5, 2012, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstype View Post
I have had my ups and downs with my X5 (2008 4.8) but it has been mechaincally great and I do love it. That being said, I have quite a few miles on it and know I can drive it a bit more, but I have been looking at the new X5 spy shots and am not super happy. I do like the new MB GL550, though and that is a strong consideration for my next vehicle. I will wait till the camo comes off and see what it really looks like, but I have to say that a 430 HP V8 in the GL will be tough to beat, coupled with the room and how MB finished it off.
The new GL is as close to as a s-class on tall wheels. It may Lack some of the driving characteristics of a BMW, but honestly if I had the capital to buy such a car, I would love Being pampered with the comfort and style. The tech is old but the design is classic
rashid commented:
September 9, 2012, 5:59 am

I feel the current front is better.
newbimmerx5 commented:
September 18, 2012, 5:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gresch View Post
I"m not waiting, ordered an X535D 2 weeks ago, and that's after having an '01, '04 and an '08. I wanted a diesel and the deal was too good to pass up.
What was the deal? i am in market for X5. I really appreciate any feedback. this will be my first BMW
sarends commented:
September 18, 2012, 8:55 pm

We drove an ML350 and really liked it, but liked the X5 better. We might have considered a Merc except my brother-in-law and my sister-in-law had owned Mercs, and liked everything about them except for the expense of maintaining after warranty - not that I will (necessarily) keep my X5 beyond warranty, but I would like the option. And, I have owned older Bimmers (have two currently) and I have not experienced them to be (overly) expensive to repair and maintain.

But, Mercedes builds some beautiful machines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
The new GL is as close to as a s-class on tall wheels. It may Lack some of the driving characteristics of a BMW, but honestly if I had the capital to buy such a car, I would love Being pampered with the comfort and style. The tech is old but the design is classic