iOS 6 Brings Text to Speech to Your BMW's iDrive Display

by Tim Jones on September 19, 2012, 12:10 pm

We have all seen the commercial from BMW showing off the man pulling up to the driveway in his F30 and receiving a text message from his wife being read by the car. If you haven't seen the video then, you can quick take a peek now.

Well, with iOS 6, iPhone users can finally take advantage of this feature in the car over bluetooth. The set up is mostly straight forward but I have to admit that I'm not 100% sure what I did to get it working in the end. I think the solution was getting the settings right then walking away from the car for a while and returning to the scene. It wasn't very scientific but it ended up working. The only problem we seem to be having now is that the notifications are only working with text messages and not emails. We'll keep working on it to see if it is something simple like needing all your email addresses set up to send notifications over bluetooth.

The quick and easy way to get this set up on your car is to do the following:
  • Upgrade your phone to iOS 6
  • If you have paired your phone previous, remove the pairing from your phone and the iDrive system just to start fresh.
  • In iDrive go to Telephone -> Bluetooth -> Your Phone and the push the iDrive controller to the right to get to the main configuration screen
  • Scroll down to Configure Bluetooth and make sure that the check box for "Office" is checked
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Bluetooth -> Your BMW and touch the blue arrow to go to the settings. Make sure that the Show Notifications slider is set to "ON"
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Notifications -> Messages. Make sure the following sections are "ON": Notification Center, Show Preview and View in Lock Screen. We also changed the alert style to Alerts in this section.
  • After getting it all set up and testing by letting the phone lock itself (not pushing the lock button) and sending a text message from another device, it still did not work for us initially. This is the part about shutting off the car and walking away for at least 5 or 10 minutes. Maybe there is a bug that needs the connection to be severed and re-connected to make things work. It is sort of a mystery right now. After coming back and having a message sent the system worked and the notifications came through to the iDrive and were read aloud by the car.

We should have more information on this as we go but we wanted to get a quick report out to show you that it at least sort of works!

BMW F30 3 series iOS6 integration review

BMW's official statement about iOS 6 compatibility
During the past several months, BMW has done extensive Apps, Bluetooth, and USB / audio testing with "pre-release" versions of iOS 6 running primarily on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S devices. This testing has occurred in collaboration with Apple, and we are confident that the final production version for the devices listed above will work well with our vehicles.

The BMW Group continues to work closely with Apple on the validation of the iPhone 5 for BMW vehicles and will be able to announce relevant developments in the future. It is expected that all app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one's song library using the BMW and MINI controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps and MINI Connected to replicate the look of the iPhone interface will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed. Since 2004 the company has established a history of finding solutions for iPod and smartphone integration where none had previously existed.

Have an iPhone 5? Check out the Official iPhone 5 F30 Integration Thread

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

230 responses to iOS 6 Brings Text to Speech to Your BMW's iDrive Display

tim330i commented:
September 19, 2012, 1:19 pm

iOS 6 has hit iTunes. It is a 599mb upgrade and doesn't appear to be available for an "over the air" upgrade. I'm downloading it now, who else is installing iOS 6 today?

Tim
sr5959 commented:
September 19, 2012, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
iOS 6 has hit iTunes. It is a 599mb upgrade and doesn't appear to be available for an "over the air" upgrade. I'm downloading it now, who else is installing iOS 6 today?

Tim
I will as soon as I get home! I didn't realize it was out before the iPhone 5 is available.
amro commented:
September 19, 2012, 1:57 pm

It should show up as over the air for you soon. They spread it out so their servers can handle the load.
justinnum1 commented:
September 19, 2012, 2:35 pm

Quote:

Tim
I downloaded it ota
boltjaM3s commented:
September 19, 2012, 2:48 pm

GOOD NEWS!

I can confirm that iOS6 can receive text messages to iDrive via Bluetooth, no cradle or USB cord necessary. You get an envelope icon on the display, you navigate to Office > Messages and your texts are there.

No luck with emails (this was a reported bug in the iOS6 beta). This was using an iPhone 4 and an F30 with the most recent firmware.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
September 19, 2012, 3:01 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC1TI...&hd=1&t=10m20s

Another thing that might not be remembered:

Back in May, Apple announced the features of iOS6 including something called "Eyes Free" which allows Siri integration into cars. They put up a graphic showing BMW as one of the partners committing to the program "within 12 months". Would work with the 4S and the 5.

The video should start at the 10:20 mark where this is mentioned.

BJ
sr5959 commented:
September 19, 2012, 3:17 pm

Just started my download OTA, hope it works without any glitches...
justinnum1 commented:
September 19, 2012, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Just started my download OTA, hope it works without any glitches...
it will, takes about 30min from start to installed
sr5959 commented:
September 19, 2012, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
it will, takes about 30min from start to installed
Thanks, fingers crossed! Apart from the better in-car integration, what are the best features of the ios6 you guys have noticed?
tim330i commented:
September 19, 2012, 3:47 pm

So far we're striking out getting the F30 to show text or emails over iDrive . Mark is going to see if the car needs a software update and we will go from there.

Tim
sr5959 commented:
September 19, 2012, 3:54 pm

Off-topic but has anyone else found the Bimmerfest app on iPhone only works on wi-fi? I've never had it work on cellular, just wondering why...
tim330i commented:
September 19, 2012, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Off-topic but has anyone else found the Bimmerfest app on iPhone only works on wi-fi? I've never had it work on cellular, just wondering why...
Never heard of that problem before. I use it on 3G all the time.

Tim
boltjaM3s commented:
September 19, 2012, 4:02 pm

Quote:
So far we're striking out getting the F30 to show text or emails over iDrive . Mark is going to see if the car needs a software update and we will go from there.

Tim
Tim:

A few tricks that helped me after struggling for an hour:

1. Turn on "messages" under Telephone > Bluetooth settings in iDrive.

2. In the iPhone go to Settings > Messages and make sure notifications are on, change the number of notifications from what it's at now, choose 'alert' style, choose 'show on screen'.

3. In the iPhone go to Settings > Bluetooth and click on the BMW link and make sure "show on screen" is selected.

4. The thing that finally did it for me was to connect via the white Apple USB cable and the Connected app. That allowed the iPhone and iDrive to "see" each other that first time. Since then, no issues wirelessly.

Note: The iPhone must go to sleep during your testing. You can't hit the off button and force it. Have to let it sit (set to 1 minute in Settings) until it goes full-black, then send a test text from another phone.

Note: Mail is not working, only text messages.

BJ
sr5959 commented:
September 19, 2012, 4:59 pm

OK my phone is updated, going to car to try it out...
voip-ninja commented:
September 19, 2012, 5:16 pm

I wonder if BMW will put any resources into the current generation i-drive to get things like Mail integration over bluetooth for the iphone working now that iOS supports this... especially considering the huge number of iPhone owners out there.

It would be nice if we can get i-drive software updates for at least a year or two before they move on to bigger and better things (new i-drive hardware).
tim330i commented:
September 19, 2012, 5:35 pm

Thanks for the help. Mark got it working and we've updated the first post with the results.

Tim
sr5959 commented:
September 19, 2012, 7:16 pm

Thanks for excellent help as always on this forum guys.

Mine is working now as well, texts only not emails.

It only seems to work on new messages that come in while you're in the car; it doesn't display unread texts already on the iPhone before connection to car, or previous texts which have been read.

The computerized read-out of texts is quite funny though!
boltjaM3s commented:
September 19, 2012, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Thanks for excellent help as always on this forum guys.

Mine is working now as well, texts only not emails.

It only seems to work on new messages that come in while you're in the car; it doesn't display unread texts already on the iPhone before connection to car, or previous texts which have been read.

The computerized read-out of texts is quite funny though!
iDrive will only sniff the texts that come in while you're driving the car and show up on your iPhone notification screen for the first time. The thought being that you're driving the car, the text comes in, and iDrive is going to feed it to you because you can't grab the phone itself.

BJ
sr5959 commented:
September 19, 2012, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
iDrive will only sniff the texts that come in while you're driving the car and show up on your iPhone notification screen for the first time. The thought being that you're driving the car, the text comes in, and iDrive is going to feed it to you because you can't grab the phone itself.

BJ
Yes I see this. Would be nice if it could also show unread texts or even the last few regardless of read/unread.
boltjaM3s commented:
September 19, 2012, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Yes I see this. Would be nice if it could also show unread texts or even the last few regardless of read/unread.
I guess I disagree in that if I've read them already and they're already on my phone I don't need them visible on screen, but...

If a friend texted me a phone number that I needed and I'm in the car and I need to call that number it would be good to go back a few texts, see the number in iDrive, and hit 'dial'.

BJ
thegandalf commented:
September 19, 2012, 8:19 pm

Quote:
I guess I disagree in that if I've read them already and they're already on my phone I don't need them visible on screen, but...

If a friend texted me a phone number that I needed and I'm in the car and I need to call that number it would be good to go back a few texts, see the number in iDrive, and hit 'dial'.

BJ
Bet then again searching tor the right text while you are driving will also be a distraction. If the call is that urgent better to pull off the road and lookit up in the phone.
I like all this office integration but I also think that it needs to keep the focus on 'minimum' distraction vs IPAD on wheels.
sr5959 commented:
September 19, 2012, 8:20 pm

Quote:
[*] On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Notifications -> Messages. Make sure the following sections are "ON": Notification Center, Show Preview and View in Lock Screen. We also changed the alert style to Alerts in this section.
[/featureimg]
Tim, 'Show Preview' doesn't have to be on on the iPhone for this to work.
Technic commented:
September 19, 2012, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I wonder if BMW will put any resources into the current generation i-drive to get things like Mail integration over bluetooth for the iphone working now that iOS supports this... especially considering the huge number of iPhone owners out there.

It would be nice if we can get i-drive software updates for at least a year or two before they move on to bigger and better things (new i-drive hardware).
That's phone-dependent for now. Combox software updates to keep up with compatibility issues have been released periodically for the last 2 years.
Auptown commented:
September 20, 2012, 12:37 am

Working nicely for me.

My only gripe is that I wish it would either notify me, or auto-play the message when it came in. By the time I check for messages, scroll down, and then select play I've already read it on the screen

Andrew
sr5959 commented:
September 20, 2012, 2:02 am

Finding it surprisingly nice reading texts on the screen...
utnuc commented:
September 20, 2012, 8:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auptown View Post
Working nicely for me.

My only gripe is that I wish it would either notify me, or auto-play the message when it came in. By the time I check for messages, scroll down, and then select play I've already read it on the screen

Andrew
+1

Agree, a more useful implementation of this feature would be for the car to notify of an incoming message, ask if the driver wants it read to them. Then the only intervention required for the driver to have it read would be to hit the iDrive button once. Ignore the notification and it times out. Anything other than this or something similar falls into the 'gee whiz/who cares' category.
jtuds commented:
September 20, 2012, 12:08 pm

I upgraded to ios6 this morning. It doesnt really seem that different, I have no use for passbook...so not really sure what the point is...
sr5959 commented:
September 20, 2012, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
I upgraded to ios6 this morning. It doesnt really seem that different, I have no use for passbook...so not really sure what the point is...
I like the 'Panorama' option for taking photos, plus of course texts on iDrive screen now...native maps look good too. I like it so far, and it's nice Apple give us these updates for free.
Weaselboy commented:
September 20, 2012, 1:14 pm

Quote:
  • Upgrade your phone to iOS 6
  • If you have paired your phone previous, remove the pairing from your phone and the iDrive system just to start fresh.
  • In iDrive go to Telephone -> Bluetooth -> Your Phone and the push the iDrive controller to the right to get to the main configuration screen
  • Scroll down to Configure Bluetooth and make sure that the check box for "Office" is checked
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Bluetooth -> Your BMW and touch the blue arrow to go to the settings. Make sure that the Show Notifications slider is set to "ON"
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Notifications -> Messages. Make sure the following sections are "ON": Notification Center, Show Preview and View in Lock Screen. We also changed the alert style to Alerts in this section.
  • After getting it all set up and testing by letting the phone lock itself (not pushing the lock button) and sending a text message from another device, it still did not work for us initially. This is the part about shutting off the car and walking away for at least 5 or 10 minutes. Maybe there is a bug that needs the connection to be severed and re-connected to make things work. It is sort of a mystery right now. After coming back and having a message sent the system worked and the notifications came through to the iDrive and were read aloud by the car.
I got it working with a little variation from your list. This is with a iPhone 4S on iOS6 in a 2012 F30.

I followed your steps except rather than turn everything off and walk away from the car, once I got everything configured as you did I just turned off BT on the iPhone then turned it back on and waited for the iPhone to pair up again. It worked fine after that.

Also, I prefer the "Banner" style notification on the phone and the car still receives the messages when configured this way... so the notification style selection does not seem to matter.

Only thing I can't figure out is how to delete the messages from the iDrive display. When you option over to the delete all choice it is greyed out and won't let you delete.

EDIT: Used the car again this afternoon and the messages were deleted. So it looks like once you delete them from the iPhone then the next time it pairs up they get removed from the car.
Weaselboy commented:
September 20, 2012, 1:18 pm

Quote:
Note: The iPhone must go to sleep during your testing. You can't hit the off button and force it. Have to let it sit (set to 1 minute in Settings) until it goes full-black, then send a test text from another phone.

Note: Mail is not working, only text messages.

BJ
I have not found this to be the case with mine. I can manually sleep the phone or even with the phone awake and the screen on, any texts to the phone result in the text showing up in iDrive.

Mail not working here either.
bam commented:
September 20, 2012, 1:20 pm

Is this only for the F30 or will this work on an '08 E90 with iDrive?
voip-ninja commented:
September 20, 2012, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
The point of passbook is that eventually there will be many services (such as airlines, movie tickets, concerts, etc) that will load your "ticket" into passbook. All you will have to do is show your passbook entry to get access to your item/event/purchase.
Technic commented:
September 20, 2012, 2:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
Is this only for the F30 or will this work on an '08 E90 with iDrive?
There was no Combox in any 2008 BMW.

The Combox module allows this to work.
-=Hot|Ice=- commented:
September 20, 2012, 3:00 pm

My iPhone did this with iOS 5 in a 2011 BMW X5.
Technic commented:
September 20, 2012, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
iOS 5 did not support MAP profile. So whatever your iPhone did in your 2011 X5 is not what it is discussed here.
voip-ninja commented:
September 20, 2012, 3:26 pm

Quote:
impossible.
tim330i commented:
September 20, 2012, 5:26 pm

Here is the official word from BMW about iOS 6 compatibility. You heard it here first -

Quote:
During the past several months, BMW has done extensive Apps, Bluetooth, and USB / audio testing with "pre-release" versions of iOS 6 running primarily on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S devices. This testing has occurred in collaboration with Apple, and we are confident that the final production version for the devices listed above (iOS 6 and iPhone 5) will work well with our vehicles.

The BMW Group continues to work closely with Apple on the validation of the iPhone 5 for BMW vehicles and will be able to announce relevant developments in the future. It is expected that all app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one's song library using the BMW and MINI controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps and MINI Connected to replicate the look of the iPhone interface will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed. Since 2004 the company has established a history of finding solutions for iPod and smartphone integration where none had previously existed.
nyranger74 commented:
September 20, 2012, 6:36 pm

A lot of words for basically saying nothing new

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
shabadoo25 commented:
September 20, 2012, 6:43 pm

I followed the steps today and it didn't work until I turned BT off and back on on my iPhone 4. Once it reconnected, the texts started appearing.
nyranger74 commented:
September 20, 2012, 6:56 pm

Emails do work, but it is buggy. Another member posted a solution on one of the forums. Basically once the car connects to the phone, you have to manually each time go into settings, notifications, mail and switch the number of show threads to a different value, if 5 is checked off, select 1 or 10. This has to be be done each time. Kinda tedious, but works
BlueGuy commented:
September 20, 2012, 9:11 pm

Quote:
Here is the official word from BMW about iOS 6 compatibility. You heard it here first -
Do you have a link to this statement?
Weaselboy commented:
September 21, 2012, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
Emails do work, but it is buggy. Another member posted a solution on one of the forums. Basically once the car connects to the phone, you have to manually each time go into settings, notifications, mail and switch the number of show threads to a different value, if 5 is checked off, select 1 or 10. This has to be be done each time. Kinda tedious, but works
Interesting. That sounds like the support is there in the car, and it is a bug with the phone. Maybe an iOS update can fix it.
voip-ninja commented:
September 21, 2012, 9:32 am

Apple will make BMW change something on their end more than likely. They have had builds of iOS 6 to test for a long time, if it was an easy fix it would have been taken care of at launch.
shabadoo25 commented:
September 21, 2012, 10:26 am

FYI, non-BMW related, but with iOS6, you lose your You Tube app. You have to go to the App Store and download a new one. Apple is cutting ties with Google stuff, apparently.
benzboy429 commented:
September 21, 2012, 12:15 pm

I upgraded my 4s to IOS 6.0 and now when I get into my car and connect the phone to the apple wire (via USB) it starts playing my music through the phone, it shows the artist information on the navi but doesn't play thru the car. This happened to me a handful of times prior to the update but I would reboot my phone and all would be good. I can still reboot my phone and it will play through the car but it's annoying and is happening every time now...fix for this?
shabadoo25 commented:
September 21, 2012, 1:05 pm

So, I got in the car today and started driving, and a few minutes later, I got a text. Not only did it not show up, but neither did the text messages I had gotten the day before. A few minutes later, I got a second text, and it DID show up on the iDrive.

So it looks like it takes a few minutes beyond the normal BT connection process for the messages to start showing up.
boltjaM3s commented:
September 21, 2012, 2:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
FYI, non-BMW related, but with iOS6, you lose your You Tube app. You have to go to the App Store and download a new one. Apple is cutting ties with Google stuff, apparently.
Same goes for Google maps. The new iPhone as well as iOS6 has Apple maps which still is very much a work in progress. Navigate to Google maps on your smart phone browser, save as a shortcut to your desktop, and you'll have Google maps back.

BJ
nyranger74 commented:
September 21, 2012, 2:45 pm

I didn't know if I should start a separate thread or not, so I figured I'd just post on this one. I picked up the Iphone 5 for Verizon this morning. I set up the phone, and put all my apps back on including all of the BMW apps. I just tested out the new phone with the Lightning to USB cable in the glove compartment to the car, and unfortunately, none of the apps work. The BMW connected app, Pandora, MOG, Stitcher or Aupeo, do not connect with the iPhone 5. This really sucks, as we were led to believe that these apps would still work. Maybe Im doing something wrong ( I don't think I am). MOG, Stitcher and Pandora do try to connect, but ultimately do not. The BMW Connected app doesn't even attempt to make a connection. Hopefully updates will be coming soon
Technic commented:
September 21, 2012, 2:59 pm

Quote:
I didn't know if I should start a separate thread or not, so I figured I'd just post on this one. I picked up the Iphone 5 for Verizon this morning. I set up the phone, and put all my apps back on including all of the BMW apps. I just tested out the new phone with the Lightning to USB cable in the glove compartment to the car, and unfortunately, none of the apps work. The BMW connected app, Pandora, MOG, Stitcher or Aupeo, do not connect with the iPhone 5. This really sucks, as we were led to believe that these apps would still work. Maybe Im doing something wrong ( I don't think I am). MOG, Stitcher and Pandora do try to connect, but ultimately do not. The BMW Connected app doesn't even attempt to make a connection. Hopefully updates will be coming soon
Unfortunately, you did something wrong.

Use the center console USB port, please. It will work; I just tested an iPhone 5 in my E92 M3 and it works fine with BMW Apps.
nyranger74 commented:
September 21, 2012, 3:10 pm

I meant center console USB
Technic commented:
September 21, 2012, 3:27 pm

Quote:
I meant center console USB
Ummm... I just tried one iPhone 5 without issues.

What about Music... can you see your music in the External Devices screen?
nyranger74 commented:
September 21, 2012, 3:30 pm

I saw the phone connected, but it just kept loading. If you got yours to work, then I should be able to get mine to work
3284me commented:
September 22, 2012, 1:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by utnuc View Post
+1

Agree, a more useful implementation of this feature would be for the car to notify of an incoming message, ask if the driver wants it read to them. Then the only intervention required for the driver to have it read would be to hit the iDrive button once. Ignore the notification and it times out. Anything other than this or something similar falls into the 'gee whiz/who cares' category.
You actually do get a visual notification in idrive showing a little envelope for messages. Not as user friendly as you suggested though.
nyranger74 commented:
September 22, 2012, 2:58 pm

The Toyota Entune system shows the notification on the screen when a new message comes in, stops the audio and gives you the option to have it read to you. The Entune system seems to work better than the BMW apps
wmcilwain commented:
September 26, 2012, 10:42 am

None of the apps functionality or iPod music integration works through the snap-in adapter after upgrading a 4s to iOS 6.
Technic commented:
September 26, 2012, 12:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcilwain View Post
None of the apps functionality or iPod music integration works through the snap-in adapter after upgrading a 4s to iOS 6.
More details could help understand what you are really saying, considering that the snap-in adapter is the Combox secondary USB port. And my own 4S with iOS 6 works on both the primary and secondary USB ports...
sr5959 commented:
September 26, 2012, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
More details could help understand what you are really saying, considering that the snap-in adapter is the Combox secondary USB port. And my own 4S with iOS 6 works on both the primary and secondary USB ports...
I have iPhone 4s on iOS6 with the snap-in adapter. I will try it later today and let you know if it works for me.
LexLuthor commented:
September 26, 2012, 3:19 pm

Anyone know what to use to update the software on the BMW because neither my memory stick or Hard drive works. Does it need to be formatted to FAT or NFS or Mac?

Thanks
sr5959 commented:
September 26, 2012, 3:35 pm

Quote:
My apps are working fine with same setup as yours above. Sorry forgot to test music but I'm sure that's working too.
Technic commented:
September 26, 2012, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLuthor View Post
Anyone know what to use to update the software on the BMW because neither my memory stick or Hard drive works. Does it need to be formatted to FAT or NFS or Mac?

Thanks
Use empty memory stick and place .bin file by itself. No folders. I use Windows and it always works 100% of the time -5 cars updated so far.

Once you select "Software update" it should be recognized immediately.
LexLuthor commented:
September 26, 2012, 10:04 pm

Thanks alot! It worked!! I was putting the file in a full USB disk.
wmcilwain commented:
October 1, 2012, 4:35 pm

After upgrading my 4s to iOS6, it will not connect via the snap-in (media) adapter sold by BMW (no apps, no playlist, no pandora, etc.). Everything does work when plugged in via USB cable. I think the snap-in adapter is more than just another USB port - it connects the phone to the car's antenna system, etc. My snap-in adapter is the one with the small cooling fan.
wmcilwain commented:
October 1, 2012, 4:36 pm

Just checking - you have a an iPhone 4S running iOS6 integrated to the car with the console snap-in media adapter sold by BMW (the one with the small fan), and everything is working for you? I'm really stuck since there is no way to go back to iOS5 at this point.
voip-ninja commented:
October 1, 2012, 4:43 pm

It looks like he is reporting that it will NOT work with the snap in adapter but does work with the USB cable... which is odd, since it's not possible to do video or iPod out with the USB cable.

In any event it appears that he's having trouble with iOS 6 and the snap-in adapter.
wmcilwain commented:
October 1, 2012, 5:02 pm

I was able to finally resolve my issue by completely removing the snap-in adapter and re-installing. I noticed this caused the snap-in adapter to register as new USB device #. Maybe iDrive was trying to resume playing music from last time I ejected my iPhone and didn't expect to find a new OS with the same device #?
Technic commented:
October 1, 2012, 5:54 pm

Quote:
After upgrading my 4s to iOS6, it will not connect via the snap-in (media) adapter sold by BMW (no apps, no playlist, no pandora, etc.). Everything does work when plugged in via USB cable. I think the snap-in adapter is more than just another USB port - it connects the phone to the car's antenna system, etc. My snap-in adapter is the one with the small cooling fan.
Of course the snap in is more than a secondary USB. However -as you found out- connecting to the OEM cell antenna or iPod Out did not have anything to do with your problem. Your problem was the lack of the secondary USB connection.
LexLuthor commented:
October 1, 2012, 9:18 pm

Anyone know if they are working on it or completing a snap in case for the 5 yet?
voip-ninja commented:
October 1, 2012, 9:30 pm

Quote:
Anyone know if they are working on it or completing a snap in case for the 5 yet?
I doubt anyone knows for sure, at least who can talk about it but I would assume they are. I would also assume one year minimum for it to come out.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 1, 2012, 11:13 pm

Quote:
Not sure if you're aware, but there are a few reasons why you might not want the snap-in adapter for the iPhone 5 as there is a lot to lose for not a lot of gain. Read this for details:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=78

BJ
v8m3 commented:
October 3, 2012, 7:26 pm

So, I am trying this in my 2013 335is

It doesn't seem to work with an iPhone 4 and '13 335is has navi.

Anyone confirm this works on e93 2013 ??

Quote:
There was no Combox in any 2008 BMW.

The Combox module allows this to work.
Technic commented:
October 3, 2012, 8:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8m3 View Post
So, I am trying this in my 2013 335is

It doesn't seem to work with an iPhone 4 and '13 335is has navi.

Anyone confirm this works on e93 2013 ??
It works in any Combox up to MY2013.

Keep seaching and trying and you will get it.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 5, 2012, 3:32 pm

Quote:
It works in any Combox up to MY2013.

Keep seaching and trying and you will get it.
My iPhone 5 running iOS6 is not playing my text alert tones for incoming messages when paired to iDrive. The envelope icon comes up on the display but my "ding-ding" doesn't sound and I'm delayed getting my messages as a result.

My iPhone 4 running iOS 5 was playing text alert tones for texts as well as syncing them to iDrive, got both the envelope icon and the "ding-ding" for the past two months prior to getting the new phone.

You experiencing the same thing or should I reconfigure?

Thanks.

BJ
Technic commented:
October 5, 2012, 3:53 pm

Quote:
My iPhone 5 running iOS6 is not playing my text alert tones for incoming messages when paired to iDrive. The envelope icon comes up on the display but my "ding-ding" doesn't sound and I'm delayed getting my messages as a result.

My iPhone 4 running iOS 5 was playing text alert tones for texts as well as syncing them to iDrive, got both the envelope icon and the "ding-ding" for the past two months prior to getting the new phone.

Thanks.

BJ
Is your iPhone 5 set to "vibrate" instead of "ring"?

My 4S sounded the text alert tone like yours when it was running iOS5+ (I do not know how you got the envelop icon with iOS5, though) regardless of my phone being set to vibrate or ring. But now with iOS6 the text alert tones are gone while in vibrate.

When I set my sister's iPhone 5 to her E92 328i I remember hearing the alert tone via the iDrive when I sent a text to her phone. But her phone was not set to vibrate. I have not tested my own phone with vibrate disabled yet.

Perhaps it was a bug all along (it makes sense that no tones are generated if vibrate is enabled) and iOS6 simply fixed it.
FrogmanF30 commented:
October 5, 2012, 4:07 pm

There's a newer telephone software update (3.5.5, UPD01005.bin) that has been posted on the BMW update site.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country=

Maybe it will fix some of these things.

I don't have an iPhone. My BB has shown SMS, e-mail, etc in iDrive Office fine since the 1004 update.
sr5959 commented:
October 5, 2012, 4:22 pm

Quote:

Thanks.

BJ
My iPhone4s on ios6 dings and envelope icon appears for text messages. If it's on vibrate there's no sound but the envelope icon still appears.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 5, 2012, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Is your iPhone 5 set to "vibrate" instead of "ring"?

My 4S sounded the text alert tone like yours when it was running iOS5+ (I do not know how you got the envelop icon with iOS5, though) regardless of my phone being set to vibrate or ring. But now with iOS6 the text alert tones are gone while in vibrate.

When I set my sister's iPhone 5 to her E92 328i I remember hearing the alert tone via the iDrive when I sent a text to her phone. But her phone was not set to vibrate. I have not tested my own phone with vibrate disabled yet.

Perhaps it was a bug all along (it makes sense that no tones are generated if vibrate is enabled) and iOS6 simply fixed it.
Sorry, that was a typo. I meant to say that my iPhone 4 running iOS6 (not 5) did allow both text alerts and the envelope icon to appear.

No, I never have my phone set to vibrate, so in both instances with my iPhone 4 as well as my iPhone 5, vibrate was never set to on.

And, to clarify, when I was using my iPhone 4 and iOS6, the tone was coming from the phone itself. I've never heard any tone as a notification over the iDrive system or the cars speakers.

So, to summarize, the iPhone 5 has given me a new feature of the notification on the iDrive screen but that wipes out the more important feature, which is getting an audible alert that I have a text message to begin with.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
October 5, 2012, 4:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogmanF30 View Post
There's a newer telephone software update (3.5.5, UPD01005.bin) that has been posted on the BMW update site.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country=

Maybe it will fix some of these things.

I don't have an iPhone. My BB has shown SMS, e-mail, etc in iDrive Office fine since the 1004 update.
Thanks. I don't see a date for that update, do you have any idea if it came out after August 19 which is when I got my car?

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
October 5, 2012, 4:49 pm

Quote:
My iPhone4s on ios6 dings and envelope icon appears for text messages. If it's on vibrate there's no sound but the envelope icon still appears.
Yes, that was the behavior I experienced with my iPhone 4. I wonder if this is an iPhone 5 issue?

BJ
voip-ninja commented:
October 5, 2012, 5:38 pm

Quote:
Thanks. I don't see a date for that update, do you have any idea if it came out after August 19 which is when I got my car?

BJ
The update mentions better compatibility for iPhones running iOS 5 so I imagine it's not going to do much that's new.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 5, 2012, 6:21 pm

Quote:
The update mentions better compatibility for iPhones running iOS 5 so I imagine it's not going to do much that's new.
Well....I've got some good news:

Did the USB update, and now EMAIL notifications work! I'd had luck with texts but never saw an email bia Bluetooth. BOOM, there it is, just like texts you navigate to Office > Messages and they're there.

And....I solved my own issue with lack of iPhone 5 text "ding-ding" notifications. Turns out that having Bluetooth Audio "on" swipes all the sound away from the phone and into iDrive. Turning Bluetooth Audio "off" restored the notification sounds from the iPhone itself so now I'm back in business, can hear the alert sounds and can read the notifications on the screen including email for the first time.

Looks like that update does more than it gets credit for.

BJ
Technic commented:
October 5, 2012, 6:21 pm

Quote:
Sorry, that was a typo. I meant to say that my iPhone 4 running iOS6 (not 5) did allow both text alerts and the envelope icon to appear.

No, I never have my phone set to vibrate, so in both instances with my iPhone 4 as well as my iPhone 5, vibrate was never set to on.

And, to clarify, when I was using my iPhone 4 and iOS6, the tone was coming from the phone itself. I've never heard any tone as a notification over the iDrive system or the cars speakers.

So, to summarize, the iPhone 5 has given me a new feature of the notification on the iDrive screen but that wipes out the more important feature, which is getting an audible alert that I have a text message to begin with.

BJ
This is a self-inflicted RTFM:

Quote:
In ring mode, iPhone plays all sounds. In silent mode, iPhone doesn’t ring or play alerts and other sound effects.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhone_user_guide.pdf

- set iPhone ring/silent switch to ring.
- connect iPhone to USB in car

Once a text arrives then its alert tone will go thru the USB to the car at the same time as it sounds in the phone. No alert tone will be heard if iPhone is not connected via USB (standard pairing, Bluetooth Audio).

If the swicth is set to silent then no alert tone will go thru the USB.

I tested it 6 times and it worked. I forgot that I started using that switch after upgrading to iOS6.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 5, 2012, 6:26 pm

Quote:

I tested it 6 times and it worked. I forgot that I started using that switch after upgrading to iOS6.
See above, turning Bluetooth Audio "off" in the Phone's iDrive profile restores the sounds to the iPhone 5. Not just alerts (thank God) but also the slider switch, keyboard sounds, etc.

iDrive's Bluetooth Audio hogs all the sound out of the iPhone. Turning if off solves the text alert sound issue.

BJ
Technic commented:
October 5, 2012, 6:38 pm

Quote:
See above, turning Bluetooth Audio "off" in the Phone's iDrive profile restores the sounds to the iPhone 5. Not just alerts (thank God) but also the slider switch, keyboard sounds, etc.

iDrive's Bluetooth Audio hogs all the sound out of the iPhone. Turning if off solves the text alert sound issue.

BJ
Correct... Bluetooth Audio shuts down the USB section in the car.
sr5959 commented:
October 5, 2012, 7:17 pm

Quote:

BJ
Doesn't this mean you cannot listen to audio streaming via Bluetooth? That wouldn't work for me I need that.

With my iPhone 4s the sounds were working with Bluetooth Audio checked.
sr5959 commented:
October 5, 2012, 7:18 pm

Quote:

Did the USB update, and now EMAIL notifications work! I'd had luck with texts but never saw an email bia Bluetooth. BOOM, there it is, just like texts you navigate to Office > Messages and they're there.

And....I solved my own issue with lack of iPhone 5 text "ding-ding" notifications. Turns out that having Bluetooth Audio "on" swipes all the sound away from the phone and into iDrive. Turning Bluetooth Audio "off" restored the notification sounds from the iPhone itself so now I'm back in business, can hear the alert sounds and can read the notifications on the screen including email for the first time.

BJ
I'm going to have to try that later. I did the update just now but didn't have time to test it.
Technic commented:
October 5, 2012, 7:24 pm

Quote:

BJ
Telephone update 1005 enabled the display of emails with iOS6 only once, but still they are shown under the Texts section in the iDrive. The Email section stays at 0. So it is more a generic MAP update from the point of view of the Combox itself than from the iOS6's. I'm expecting an iOS6 update instead and most probably it will fix finally the email display issue.
Technic commented:
October 5, 2012, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Doesn't this mean you cannot listen to audio streaming via Bluetooth? That wouldn't work for me I need that.

With my iPhone 4s the sounds were working with Bluetooth Audio checked.
... but not enabled, correct?
sr5959 commented:
October 5, 2012, 7:39 pm

Quote:
... but not enabled, correct?
Yes, by checked I mean enabled.

We are talking about the iDrive setting not a setting on the phone, right?
Technic commented:
October 5, 2012, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Yes, by checked I mean enabled.

We are talking about the iDrive setting not a setting on the phone, right?
What I meant was you can hear the text alert tones via the car while not actively streaming music via A2DP... correct?

I tried that and no alert sound goes thru A2DP.
sr5959 commented:
October 5, 2012, 8:01 pm

Quote:
What I meant was you can hear the text alert tones via the car while not actively streaming music via A2DP... correct?

I tried that and no alert sound goes thru A2DP.
Can't remember for sure.

I'll check and let you know.

The thing is I am usually listening to Talk Radio via the Bluetooth streaming (using Tunein Radio app), but it's been working (ding alert for new text) for a couple of weeks now and I'm sure some of the time I was not streaming audio via Bluetooth.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 5, 2012, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Telephone update 1005 enabled the display of emails with iOS6, but still they are shown under the Texts section in the iDrive. The Email section stays at 0. This Combox update is quite ironic, as it helps the display of emails but it is for iOS5. So it is more a generic MAP update from the point of view of the Combox itself than from the iOS6. I was expecting an iOS6 update instead and most probably it will fix the listing error.

At least emails finally display and quite fast. Nothing else to perform other than updating the Combox.
http://youtu.be/J_xgjxcGGcE

Siri also works, I can hear her voice over the speaker system. All we need now is the steering wheel button updated to engage Siri (press and hold or double press) and we can say "Text my wife 'I'll be home by 8:30" and be able to send texts hands free too. BMW is getting the "Eyes Free" functionality in the Spring (per video).

You can do this now, text by voice, but you have to press and hold the home botton on the iPhone instead of the wheel. I thought Siri was a gimmick, but I use it a lot, will be awesome in the car.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
October 5, 2012, 8:09 pm

Quote:

I tried that and no alert sound goes thru A2DP.:
No. It appears to be one or the other but not both.

You either get Bluetooth streaming music and no iPhone text tones -or- you get iPhone text tones and no streaming Bluetooth audio.

I have a beater iPod Touch in the car sync'd 24-7 to iDrive, so this doesn't matter to me as I never stream Bluetooth audio.

BJ
sr5959 commented:
October 5, 2012, 8:18 pm

Quote:
No. It appears to be one or the other but not both.

You either get Bluetooth streaming music and no iPhone text tones -or- you get iPhone text tones and no streaming Bluetooth audio.

I have a beater iPod Touch in the car sync'd 24-7 to iDrive, so this doesn't matter to me as I never stream Bluetooth audio.

BJ
BJ that must be an iPhone 5 thing because I've been streaming audio AND getting text alerts no problem with my 4s.

I'm going to test later this still works with the software update.

Also I'm going to confirm it works while I am not actively streaming audio (listening to radio or stereo off via dash knob).
boltjaM3s commented:
October 5, 2012, 8:35 pm

Quote:
BJ that must be an iPhone 5 thing because I've been streaming audio AND getting text alerts no problem with my 4s.

I'm going to test later this still works with the software update.

Also I'm going to confirm it works while I am not actively streaming audio (listening to radio or stereo off via dash knob).
Just to make sure were on the same page, I'm talking about text alerts of the audio variety, that ding-ding sound from the iPhone. I can stream audio and get the envelope icon too, it's the ding-ding that's missing. If I enable Bluetooth audio, the iPhone goes silent.

BJ
sr5959 commented:
October 5, 2012, 9:13 pm

Ok just tested.

iPhone 4s running iOS 6:

If I am actively streaming Bluetooth I do get audio alerts for new texts.

If I'm listening to radio I don't get the audio alert just the envelope icon.

Don't think I am getting any emails yet so I'll keep trying on that...
Technic commented:
October 5, 2012, 9:17 pm

My email display disappeared by my second pairing (after the car went to sleep and back). So it looks so far the same behavior as before the update -emails are displayed once and only after changing iPhone email notification settings each time.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 5, 2012, 11:16 pm

Quote:
My email display disappeared by my second pairing (after the car went to sleep and back). So it looks so far the same behavior as before the update -emails are displayed once and only after changing iPhone email notification settings each time.
Damn. I'll try again in the morning, see if it happens to me.

Also, no idea why, but my iPhone 5 isn't recognized at all when I plug it into the USB port in the armrest instead of my iPod touch using the pack-in Lighting-to-USB cord. Doesn't show up as a USB device, doesn't show up as a choice to play music in Media, doesn't work with BMW Connected app. It charges, that's it.

Any ideas? Do I need to disable Bluetooth entirely in order to get my iPhone 5 to be recognized when I plug it into a USB port?

BJ
Technic commented:
October 6, 2012, 11:44 am

Quote:
Damn. I'll try again in the morning, see if it happens to me.

Also, no idea why, but my iPhone 5 isn't recognized at all when I plug it into the USB port in the armrest instead of my iPod touch using the pack-in Lighting-to-USB cord. Doesn't show up as a USB device, doesn't show up as a choice to play music in Media, doesn't work with BMW Connected app. It charges, that's it.

Any ideas? Do I need to disable Bluetooth entirely in order to get my iPhone 5 to be recognized when I plug it into a USB port?

BJ
I call that, being in a funky state.

I would restore your iPhone 5 and try again.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 6, 2012, 11:46 am

Quote:
I call that, being in a funky state.

I would restore your iPhone 5 and try again.
Thanks, I'll play with that later today.

You were correct about Email not being corrected; it worked the first time after I paired the phone, since then zero response. Texts are more dependable than ever, and I've got my audible alerts and Siri semi-working, but Email is a no-go.

BJ
Technic commented:
October 6, 2012, 11:49 am

This is what I found... emails are fully displayed with iOS6 right after the update but they will be listed under Texts, though. Then at subsequent pairings the emails will ceased to be displayed unless the trick of changing the iPhone notification number of email showings is changed right after each pairing.

In other words, update 1005 does not fix the email display problem with iOS6 -which makes sense as this update is for iOS5.
windsor027 commented:
October 6, 2012, 12:45 pm

We have Iphones 4s at work coming out of our ears so I gave up my trusted BB and had one of my techs set one up for me. It's going to take a few days to get used to it but I figured since the F30 is kind of geared towards the Iphones might as well switch.

Now I guess I have to go and read this thread. My Iphone does have IOS6.
Weaselboy commented:
October 6, 2012, 1:22 pm

Quote:

BJ
It is new to the site since August 19 for sure. I installed the 1004.bin update a couple weeks ago and at the time it was the most recent version. So yes 1005.bin is new.
Weaselboy commented:
October 6, 2012, 1:24 pm

Quote:

BJ
I went from iPhone 4S on iOS6 to iPhone 5 on iOS 6 and see the exact behavior you are describing.
voip-ninja commented:
October 6, 2012, 2:11 pm

My iPhone 5 w/iOS 6 has worked fine on the USB port since I got it two weeks ago. The only issue I've had is that periodically it has acted a little weird when first plugged in, such as not playing music or displaying album/artists info. If I wait a while or unplug it and plug it back in it works fine.

Hopefully BMW puts it into higher gear than they historically have and provide new phone software a little faster this time. Before next spring would be nice.
virus86 commented:
October 7, 2012, 6:09 pm

I tested out my friend's iTouch 2G (iOS 3) on my car to see how the my BMW handles the music and I really like it. The BMW apps require iOS 5+, so I have to get an iTouch 3G+. I used to own a 32GB 4G, but sold it when I got my Motorola Bionic. I bought a iTouch 4G 16GB today and it already comes with iOS 6 preloaded. So far, I dont like it. When Im playing music in my car and skip to the next song, there is a lag and I miss the first few seconds of the song. Since this is a brand new iTouch, would something running in the background cause the lag? I hope apple releases an update to solve a bunch bugs, including the app store constantly crashing. I also hope the new iTouch is released in the next 30 days so I can exchange if necessary.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 7, 2012, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus86 View Post
I tested out my friend's iTouch 2G (iOS 3) on my car to see how the my BMW handles the music and I really like it. The BMW apps require iOS 5+, so I have to get an iTouch 3G+. I used to own a 32GB 4G, but sold it when I got my Motorola Bionic. I bought a iTouch 4G 16GB today and it already comes with iOS 6 preloaded. So far, I dont like it. When Im playing music in my car and skip to the next song, there is a lag and I miss the first few seconds of the song. Since this is a brand new iTouch, would something running in the background cause the lag? I hope apple releases an update to solve a bunch bugs, including the app store constantly crashing. I also hope the new iTouch is released in the next 30 days so I can exchange if necessary.
First off, an iPod touch will be useless for you in a moving vehicle as its wi-fi only. Those of us that use an iPod touch do so strictly for music, the apps such as Facebook and Twitter do not function. An Apple iPhone is what is necessary to take advantage of BMW apps. My setup is an iPhone 5 via Bluetooth only for phone only, and an older iPod touch via USB running iOS 5 strictly for music.

Next, please confirm that you are connecting this iPod touch via the USB port and the white Apple cable. You should be experiencing no delay at all between tracks except the customary one second skip duration. If you are using the white Apple cable and the USB port, try a hard reset of your iPod touch. Press and hold the button on the top edge as well as the home button through the black screen until the white Apple logo comes up again. Don't let go of both buttons until the screen goes black, and the Apple logo comes up again.

BJ
virus86 commented:
October 7, 2012, 9:02 pm

When Im in my car, I turn my Android phone into a hotspot and the iTouch will connect to it. Im going to try and find a way to downgrade to iOS 5.
haastx10 commented:
October 9, 2012, 9:15 am

Interestingly enough, Txt messaging on AT&T iPhone now works for me after using the described set up. It works when phone is in or out of cradle, locked or unlocked.

Also interesting is that my email mailboxes show up but email remains broken.

The phone is running iOS 6 on a 4S and the BMW software has also been upgraded to the latest version for my '12 F02.

I also unpaired my phone in the BMW and on iPhone and then re paired everything to have a fresh instal.

Hopefully Apple will fix the remaining issues with email.
328i2013 commented:
October 11, 2012, 12:08 am

This is what I get when I plug in my iPhone 5 with the USB/Lightning cable

haastx10 commented:
October 11, 2012, 12:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i2013 View Post

Did you upgrade to the latest BMW software?
328i2013 commented:
October 11, 2012, 1:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by haastx10 View Post
Did you upgrade to the latest BMW software?
I just took delivery today. Wouldn't it already have the latest software? Either way, how can I check and update? Any chance I could mess it up and the car won't drive?
haastx10 commented:
October 11, 2012, 5:44 am

Quote:

Quote:
I just took delivery today. Wouldn't it already have the latest software? Either way, how can I check and update? Any chance I could mess it up and the car won't drive?
First, check the version of software you're running. The software updates from BMW apply only to your media/cell phone devices and do not affect operation of the vehicle.

Go to the main menu on your iDrive, and scroll down to settings, then software, and check which version you currently have.

Then go to the following web address and enter the last seven digits of the VIN number to determine what the latest version of software is for your particular vehicle; www.bmw.com/update

If the version online is newer, you should download the .BIN file to your computer and transfer to a USB stick. Plug-in on the USB port in your center console, and using the same screen you were on to check software version you also have the option to update the file.

It's really that simple. Then make your sure your phone is configured as I described in the previous post. It seems that the whole process has to sit for an indeterminate amount of time before things actually work so take a break and come back to the vehicle after it has been completely powered down.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Technic commented:
October 11, 2012, 7:01 am

Quote:

Is this car equipped with Assist? Have you tried any other USB music player in that center console port?

No software update will help you if the proper hardware is not there.
328i2013 commented:
October 11, 2012, 4:30 pm

Quote:
Is this car equipped with Assist? Have you tried any other USB music player in that center console port?

No software update will help you if the proper hardware is not there.
Not equipped with Assist. But that's not needed for USB connectivity - not for older iphones at least.

Plays music fine off of a USB Flash Drive.
328i2013 commented:
October 11, 2012, 4:31 pm

So, I wrote to BMW about the iPhone 5 issue for folks without the Tech package and they sent the following reply which suggests that either a cable or sw update will be available in the future.

CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com wrote:

To Whom It May Concern:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding iPhone 5 compatibility with our vehicles.

We are continuing to work closely with Apple on the validation of the iPhone 5 for BMW vehicles and will be able to announce relevant developments in the future. Unfortunately, Apple did not distribute the iPhone 5 earlier to automobile manufacturers than to the general public, so we will address any issues of concern after our evaluation of the device. We anticipate app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one's song library using the BMW controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps to replicate the look of the iPhone interface, will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed, and we appreciate your patience as we work through the process.
voip-ninja commented:
October 11, 2012, 6:14 pm

In the short term you should be able to pick up a beater iPod Touch, throw your tunes on that and have it working.
sswalters commented:
October 13, 2012, 9:52 am

328i - I also just picked up a new X3 on October 5th. It was NOT delivered with the update. That was the first order of business. I would encourage you to go to BMW.com/update and put the 1005 update on a USB and download through the USB port in your arm rest.

Also for others here, another alternative to changing the number of notifications displayed to enable emails each time is to just toggle notifications for the email account on and off each time after you pair the phone to the car. It's just a little quicker and easier yet still an annoyance. Would love to know when a new iOS 6 update will come out to revise the MAP capability so we can receive emails and texts both separately and automatically.
Technic commented:
October 13, 2012, 10:03 am

Quote:
Not equipped with Assist. But that's not needed for USB connectivity - not for older iphones at least.

Plays music fine off of a USB Flash Drive.
Having Assist or not determines which USB cable you should use for iPod/iPhone functionality in particular. That's the reason of your USB stick working but not the iPhone.

You need the OEM BMW iPod "Y" cable with the 30-pin to Lightning adapter.

Again, this is not a firmware update issue. It is a hardware (or lack thereof) issue.
328i2013 commented:
October 13, 2012, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Having Assist or not determines which USB cable you should use for iPod/iPhone functionality in particular. That's the reason of your USB stick working but not the iPhone.

You need the OEM BMW iPod "Y" cable with the 30-pin to Lightning adapter.

Again, this is not a firmware update issue. It is a hardware (or lack thereof) issue.
I'll see if the Lightning adapters are available now so I can use the Y cable. Still might not work though.
328i2013 commented:
October 13, 2012, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswalters View Post
328i - I also just picked up a new X3 on October 5th. It was NOT delivered with the update. That was the first order of business. I would encourage you to go to BMW.com/update and put the 1005 update on a USB and download through the USB port in your arm rest.

Also for others here, another alternative to changing the number of notifications displayed to enable emails each time is to just toggle notifications for the email account on and off each time after you pair the phone to the car. It's just a little quicker and easier yet still an annoyance. Would love to know when a new iOS 6 update will come out to revise the MAP capability so we can receive emails and texts both separately and automatically.
Just tried the update. Says I have the latest version. Here are the screenshot:

voip-ninja commented:
October 13, 2012, 1:11 pm

I think you should get the 30 pin to lightning adapter, Technic is probably the most knowledgeable person here about this stuff.
Technic commented:
October 13, 2012, 2:52 pm

Quote:
I'll see if the Lightning adapters are available now so I can use the Y cable. Still might not work though.
It does when used with the OEM BMW iPod cable (USB/AUX)... it has been already confirmed in another forum, and technically it is what is missing in your particular case.

There are 2 OEM USB implememtations in late BMW: enhanced (Combox external module) and basic (Non-Nav iDrive unit built-in circuitry). Your basic version does not support the Apple white cable, only the OEM USB/AUX black cable.
SamS commented:
October 14, 2012, 7:57 pm

Hey Technic, or anyone that would know...

What would be the advantage of using the iPhone 5 + Lightning adapter + Media cradle with an F30 (tech pack), as opposed to the standard Lightning-to-USB in the armrest port?

I have the .2m Apple adapter, and the Media cradle needs a slight modification to accept the adapter 30-pin end. But it can be done. I haven't done it yet because I'm "in between cars", so I'm just curious if there is any reason to hang onto the Media cradle.
Technic commented:
October 15, 2012, 12:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Hey Technic, or anyone that would know...

What would be the advantage of using the iPhone 5 + Lightning adapter + Media cradle with an F30 (tech pack), as opposed to the standard Lightning-to-USB in the armrest port?

I have the .2m Apple adapter, and the Media cradle needs a slight modification to accept the adapter 30-pin end. But it can be done. I haven't done it yet because I'm "in between cars", so I'm just curious if there is any reason to hang onto the Media cradle.
Hi Sam... the Media cradle distinctive features over the USB port are to access iPod Out, fan cooling and inductive antenna connection. Nether the iPhone 5 or its Lightning adapter provide the analog iPod Out required by the cradle/baseplate. Having the adapter with an extension cable plugged into the cradle defeats the purpose of having the inductive OEM antenna connection and the fan for cooling features as the iPhone will not be physically snapped in. It will be externally connected to the cradle by .2m.

So it is useless to use the adapter with the Media cradle.
SamS commented:
October 15, 2012, 7:28 am

Dang, that is what I was afraid of. I knew when I bought the cradle that the upcoming iPhone(s) would not fit. I didn't count on losing the analog-out feature.

Do you know what used media cradles are going for? HW v2.0.
Weaselboy commented:
October 15, 2012, 12:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Dang, that is what I was afraid of. I knew when I bought the cradle that the upcoming iPhone(s) would not fit. I didn't count on losing the analog-out feature.

Do you know what used media cradles are going for? HW v2.0.
I just sold mine for $110 on eBay.
junji98 commented:
October 15, 2012, 4:30 pm

very informative thread! i got the idrive to sync with iphone 5 and i get texts easily. for emails, everytime the phone pairs, I have to turn the notifications of and on again. there is no fix to the email quirk yet right?

thanks.
328i2013 commented:
October 17, 2012, 3:31 pm

I posted this on F30post too.

Finally, git the Lightning to 30-pin adapter cable which is better than just the Lightning adapter, cuz now joined with the Y-cable it's long enough to come out of the arm rest. And it recognized my tracks and playlists too. I can now use iDrive and wheel controls to select tracks.

What it doesn't do is allow me to change rdio/spotify tracks through iDrive/wheel (i can do this in my girl's fiat, so i assumed it would work in the bmw too...i guess not). Maybe a BMW update in the future will fix it. Something tells me this won't current work on older iphones either. Will check with my iPhone 4 later.

I can now charge my iPhone 5 and play music through it at the same time without the clutter of two long cables coming out of the arm rest. Now it's just one small cable coming out.

So, this is fairly satisfying to me I suppose.

golovko commented:
October 17, 2012, 3:49 pm

Am I missing something, why are so many people having issues or do they not have the tech package?

I do have the technology package so I have the bluetooth streaming, improved USB functionality, etc.

I do not use a y adaptor, nor do I have a lightning adapter.

Using my iPhone 5 I can stream music from Spotify or the native music app over bluetooth. I can change tracks in Spotify through the HUD or the control display. This does not mean I can see a list of all my tracks but I can see the next/prev selections in addition to the currently playing track name in the HUD & control display. With the native music app I can see the full list of tracks. Limitation of the iPhone is my guess because its worked this way for me with numerous car nav systems. I can read texts and emails (with email display count trick)

Over USB everything works the same as over bluetooth but with a few additions. I can see album art in the control display, I can see my calendar events (across multiple calendar accounts) to name a few. I am just using the standard lightning cable to USB that ships with the iPhone 5 and plugging it into the center console USB.

However, I can not stream music through the glovebox USB port.
328i2013 commented:
October 17, 2012, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Am I missing something, why are so many people having issues or do they not have the tech package?

I do have the technology package so I have the bluetooth streaming, improved USB functionality, etc.

Using my iPhone 5 I can stream music from Spotify or the native music app over bluetooth. I can change tracks in Spotify through the HUD or the control display. This does not mean I can see a list of all my tracks but I can see the next/prev selections in addition to the currently playing track name in the HUD & control display. With the native music app I can see the full list of tracks. Limitation of the iPhone is my guess because its worked this way for me with numerous car nav systems. I can read texts and emails (with email display count trick)

Over USB everything works the same as over bluetooth but with a few additions. I can see album art in the control display, I can see my calendar events (across multiple calendar accounts) to name a few. I am just using the standard lightning cable to USB that ships with the iPhone 5 and plugging it into the center console USB.

Yup, no tech package here. Hence y cable needed to get limited functionality.
golovko commented:
October 17, 2012, 3:54 pm

Quote:
Yup, no tech package here. Hence y cable needed to get limited functionality.
ah, ok. makes sense now. I thought maybe I was missing out on some functionality that is only obtained using the adaptor.
Technic commented:
October 17, 2012, 4:08 pm

Quote:
The glovebox USB port is only to down/upload data to the HDD. It does not play any music.
golovko commented:
October 17, 2012, 4:20 pm

Quote:
The glovebox USB port is only to down/upload data to the HDD. It does not play any music.
Thats what I thought, and thats what the nav system tells me, however I have not had any luck importing directly from a USB flash drive or music downloaded on my iPhone (native music app). I didn't expect it to work from my phone but I converted a bunch of music from itunes to MP3 and also tried AAC neither were able to be played back in the car or imported.

The tracks are DRM free, or supposed to be at least.
sr5959 commented:
October 17, 2012, 6:07 pm

Quote:
Thats what I thought, and thats what the nav system tells me, however I have not had any luck importing directly from a USB flash drive or music downloaded on my iPhone (native music app). I didn't expect it to work from my phone but I converted a bunch of music from itunes to MP3 and also tried AAC neither were able to be played back in the car or imported.

The tracks are DRM free, or supposed to be at least.
Try this s/w to convert iTunes Playlists to MP3, then copy to USB and import to car's hard drive from glovebox USB:

http://download.cnet.com/iTunes-Musi...-10966869.html
golovko commented:
October 17, 2012, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Try this s/w to convert iTunes Playlists to MP3, then copy to USB and import to car's hard drive from glovebox USB:

http://download.cnet.com/iTunes-Musi...-10966869.html
I'll try that, I just need to find the Mac equivalent or something very similar. The app I tried to convert with didn't export playlists, just individual tracks.

Found this app for Mac on the App Store. Going to give it a shot.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/play...34426826?mt=12
junji98 commented:
October 17, 2012, 7:42 pm

Quote:

Using my iPhone 5 I can stream music from Spotify or the native music app over bluetooth. I can change tracks in Spotify through the HUD or the control display. This does not mean I can see a list of all my tracks but I can see the next/prev selections in addition to the currently playing track name in the HUD & control display. With the native music app I can see the full list of tracks. Limitation of the iPhone is my guess because its worked this way for me with numerous car nav systems.[U]I can read texts and emails (with email display count trick)

hi. can you elaborate on what the email display count trick is?

thanks.
golovko commented:
October 17, 2012, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by junji98 View Post
hi. can you elaborate on what the email display count trick is?

thanks.
Sure, its been mentioned before (not sure if its in this thread or another)

Each time after your iPhone is paired with your car you need to go to (on your phone) Settings -> Notifications -> Mail -> Show then select one of the 3 options that isn't already selected. Its an annoying workaround but gets the job done 100% of the time.
junji98 commented:
October 17, 2012, 7:49 pm

Quote:

Each time after your iPhone is paired with your car you need to go to (on your phone) Settings -> Notifications -> Mail -> Show then select one of the 3 options that isn't already selected. Its an annoying workaround but gets the job done 100% of the time.
ok thanks. so this seems a simpler solution than what i did. i used to go to each settings-notifications-mail, then for each email account, turn notifications off, then on again.

so i just go to show then select a different option (choices are 1 unread, 5 unread and 10 unread). so if my default is 5, i just select 1 or 10 then its good? then if i exit the car and reenter, just select a different one? or do i select a different one (other than the default) then put it back to the default again?

sorry if it does not make sense...
golovko commented:
October 17, 2012, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by junji98 View Post
ok thanks. so this seems a simpler solution than what i did. i used to go to each settings-notifications-mail, then for each email account, turn notifications off, then on again.

so i just go to show then select a different option (choices are 1 unread, 5 unread and 10 unread). so if my default is 5, i just select 1 or 10 then its good? then if i exit the car and reenter, just select a different one? or do i select a different one (other than the default) then put it back to the default again?

sorry if it does not make sense...
Correct, every time you get back in the car, just pick a new default. You don't have to go from 5 unread to 10 then back to 5. Unless of course you want to only ever show 5
junji98 commented:
October 17, 2012, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Correct, every time you get back in the car, just pick a new default. You don't have to go from 5 unread to 10 then back to 5. Unless of course you want to only ever show 5
Ok thanks!
sr5959 commented:
October 17, 2012, 9:21 pm

Quote:

Thanks! I didn't know this workaround either.
sr5959 commented:
October 18, 2012, 12:40 pm

Quote:

Tried this it didn't work for me.

Any other changes required apart from above, perhaps on iDrive rather than iPhone?

Thanks.
golovko commented:
October 18, 2012, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Tried this it didn't work for me.

Any other changes required apart from above, perhaps on iDrive rather than iPhone?

Thanks.
Do you have the technology package with enhanced bluetooth?
sr5959 commented:
October 18, 2012, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Do you have the technology package with enhanced bluetooth?
Yes, and I am using iPhone 4s with iOS6.

I get text messages displayed on iDrive no problem, just emails I've never gotten to work.
golovko commented:
October 18, 2012, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Yes, and I am using iPhone 4s with iOS6.

I get text messages displayed on iDrive no problem, just emails I've never gotten to work.
I don't think there was anything else I had to do. Any emails I receive while I'm already paired and in the car display for me.

Mind walking me through your steps exactly?
sr5959 commented:
October 18, 2012, 1:00 pm

Quote:
I don't think there was anything else I had to do. Any emails I receive while I'm already paired and in the car display for me.

Mind walking me through your steps exactly?
Actually just saw on the phone I have 'Alert Style' set to 'None' for all my email accounts. I'll try changing that to 'Banner' and let you know how it works.
golovko commented:
October 18, 2012, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Actually just saw on the phone I have 'Alert Style' set to 'None' for all my email accounts. I'll try changing that to 'Banner' and let you know how it works.
Yeah, that should fix it. Mine is also set to banner.
sr5959 commented:
October 18, 2012, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Yeah, that should fix it. Mine is also set to banner.
It worked, thanks man. Hope they fix the bug soon so it works without fiddling with the Notification setting on the iPhone. The texts/emails on iDrive are surprisingly useful.
sswalters commented:
October 18, 2012, 3:43 pm

You only need to toggle notifications on/off/on after pairing your phone. The type of notification selected doesn't matter. Toggling on and off is just that much less effort that switching the number of messages to be displayed.
sr5959 commented:
October 18, 2012, 3:48 pm

Quote:
You only need to toggle notifications on/off/on after pairing your phone. The type of notification selected doesn't matter. Toggling on and off is just that much less effort that switching the number of messages to be displayed.
How do you do that? thanks.
sswalters commented:
October 18, 2012, 4:02 pm

Quote:
How do you do that? thanks.
You know what? I think I'm wrong about it being easier. To toggle the notifications on and off, you go to Settings>Notifications>Mail>Select each account> then on/off.

Actually just going to Settings>Notifications>Mail>modify show settings is faster.

My bad.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 18, 2012, 4:07 pm

Quote:
You know what? I think I'm wrong about it being easier. To toggle the notifications on and off, you go to Settings>Notifications>Mail>Select each account> then on/off.

Actually just going to Settings>Notifications>Mail>modify show settings is faster.

My bad.
Have you tried Bluetooth > Your BMW Name > Notifications to toggle there?

BJ
golovko commented:
October 18, 2012, 4:08 pm

The sad thing is, by the time someone gets around to fixing it (either Apple or BMW) I'll be on an iPhone5S suffering from the same issue all over again, or something similar.
sswalters commented:
October 18, 2012, 4:11 pm

BJ - that would be even faster! No, I haven't tried it and will next time I'm in my car. Has that worked for you? I'm anxious for a new iOS 6 update to do this seemlessly and to separate emails and texts into their own folders.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 18, 2012, 4:19 pm

Quote:
The sad thing is, by the time someone gets around to fixing it (either Apple or BMW) I'll be on an iPhone5S suffering from the same issue all over again, or something similar.
Nah, by then we'll be using full Siri integration to have our texts read to us, none of this BMW Office stuff will matter at all.

You know that you can use Siri with Bluetooth audio right now and its somewhat awesome, yes? Siri over the car speakers and using the car microphone.

The only thing it can't do yet is be activated by the steering wheel, everything else works including disengaging Siri with the steering wheel.

In case you haven't tried it yet, pick up your iPhone, press and hold the Home button, then put the phone down. Say "Text my wife I'll be home by 7:30 tonight". Siri will confirm you want to send it. Say "yes" (no button press necessary). Siri will send. Then press the Phone button on the steering wheel. You've just used the BMW audio system to send a text 99% hands free (the initial Home button press the only time).

BJ
golovko commented:
October 18, 2012, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Nah, by then we'll be using full Siri integration to have our texts read to us, none of this BMW Office stuff will matter at all.

You know that you can use Siri with Bluetooth audio right now and its somewhat awesome, yes? Siri over the car speakers and using the car microphone.

The only thing it can't do yet is be activated by the steering wheel, everything else works including disengaging Siri with the steering wheel.

In case you haven't tried it yet, pick up your iPhone, press and hold the Home button, then put the phone down. Say "Text my wife I'll be home by 7:30 tonight". Siri will confirm you want to send it. Say "yes" (no button press necessary). Siri will send. Then press the Phone button on the steering wheel. You've just used the BMW audio system to send a text 99% hands free (the initial Home button press the only time).

BJ
Yeah, that was the first thing I tried before the BMW office stuff. I like how the car thinks I'm calling myself when I do that. lol. It does work great though. Much better then the office integration.

I'm sure BMW will make us upgrade to a new car to get the SIRI push button integration when they get around to implementing it.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 18, 2012, 4:26 pm

Quote:
BJ - that would be even faster! No, I haven't tried it and will next time I'm in my car. Has that worked for you? I'm anxious for a new iOS 6 update to do this seemlessly and to separate emails and texts into their own folders.
I haven't tried it yet, but it might work.

I've been using Siri a lot lately, it really makes the Office feature unnecessary. Siri can send and read text messages completely wirelessly, completely hands-free, using the car's speakers and microphone, no need to use the iDrive controller either. See my post above and give it a try yourself.

At the last Apple keynote, they announced that BMW is one of 12 launch partners that will have full Siri integration available by April 2013. Everything we're doing now with iDrive and text messaging and email is a stopgap until we get this Siri integration.

BJ
golovko commented:
October 18, 2012, 4:27 pm

Quote:

I've been using Siri a lot lately, it really makes the Office feature unnecessary. Siri can send and read text messages completely wirelessly, completely hands-free, using the car's speakers and microphone, no need to use the iDrive controller either. See my post above and give it a try yourself.

At the last Apple keynote, they announced that BMW is one of 12 launch partners that will have full Siri integration available by April 2013. Everything we're doing now with iDrive and text messaging and email is a stopgap until we get this Siri integration.

BJ
Have they said anything about it being a software update to existing iDrive systems or going to be something available only in cars with the iDrive Professional system?
boltjaM3s commented:
October 18, 2012, 4:28 pm

(Repost for those who missed it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_xgjxcGGcE&sns=em

Another thing that might not be remembered:

Back in May, Apple announced the features of iOS6 including something called "Eyes Free" which allows Siri integration into cars. They put up a graphic showing BMW as one of the partners committing to the program "within 12 months". Would work with the 4S and the 5.

The video should start at the 10:20 mark where this is mentioned.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
October 18, 2012, 4:41 pm

Quote:
Have they said anything about it being a software update to existing iDrive systems or going to be something available only in cars with the iDrive Professional system?
It looks like any BMW with phone controls on the steering wheel and Bluetooth will be able to take advantage of the new Siri integration.

The key to the whole idea, ironically, is that the iPhone screen will be blank. So it won't compete with iDrive or any other makers OEM infotainment systems. I imagine we'll be driving, and Siri will say "excuse me you have an incoming text message would you like me to read it?" And we'll say yes and she will read it. Then she will ask if we would like to respond and then we would speak our text message and she will repeat it to confirm and send it.

We've had hands free phone calls for a decade; now were going to get eyes free texting and email. That's how I interpret it anyway.

BJ
sr5959 commented:
October 18, 2012, 5:01 pm

Quote:

BJ
BJ, how do you get Siri to read new texts out? Thanks.
voip-ninja commented:
October 18, 2012, 5:04 pm

Quote:

BJ
I am skeptical that BMW will bring this to our cars. More than likely they will insist that this needs the hardware coming out in the MY 2014 cars... cuz, ya know, when your $800 Combox is out of date you need a whole new BMW.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 18, 2012, 5:40 pm

Quote:
BJ, how do you get Siri to read new texts out? Thanks.
I am typing this using Siri, let's see how this goes:

First, you get an incoming text message on your iPhone.

Next, you press and hold the home button. This will start Siri. The iDrive screen will be overtaken by what looks like a phone call to yourself; this is normal. You now put down the iPhone. Everything from here on in does not require any presses or speaking into the iPhone itself.

You say "read text messages". Siri will tell you you have a message and read it to you.

After you've heard the message, Siri will ask you if you would like to hear it repeated or if you would like to reply.

You say "reply". Siri will then ask you to say your message. Speaking normal, plain English, no need for heavy pauses or anything of that nature. To punctuate say things like "period" or "question mark" at the end of sentences.

Siri will tell you she's ready to send the message. She will then read it back to you and ask you if it's ready to send. You say "yes".

Siri will respond that she has sent the message. At that moment, hit the telephone button on your steering wheel to disengage the telephone and end the Siri session.

This is an example of what happens when you have an incoming text message that you reply to. You can also create a text message from scratch by pushing the home button, waiting for Siri to make the tone and simply say "send text message to my wife" et cetera et cetera. Remember, the only time you need to touch your iPhone in any of these Siri exchanges is the very first time where you have to press and hold the home button for two seconds to start Siri. After that, everything is handled by the car speakers, microphone, and the phone button on the steering wheel.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
October 18, 2012, 5:43 pm

Quote:
I am skeptical that BMW will bring this to our cars. More than likely they will insist that this needs the hardware coming out in the MY 2014 cars... cuz, ya know, when your $800 Combox is out of date you need a whole new BMW.
Very true, but I surely hope not. The idea here isn't to make money but rather to make a safer driving experience. I think this is Apple and the key automakers response to the fact that texting while driving is worse than talking on the telephone when driving, lots of accidents.

In its simplest form, this is a new protocol that allows a phone's screen to be turned off, hands not needed, just use your voice and your ears to send and receive texts. If BMW does get medieval on us, I'm guessing this is a very simple thing to code. All it takes is a press and hold or double tap on the voice icon on the steering wheel and that would engage Siri which is already connected via Bluetooth anyway. Everything works right now. The only thing that's missing is the initial press and hold on the home button to engage Siri. After that, the iDrive system is completely integrated with Siri using the microphone and the car speakers.

BJ
sr5959 commented:
October 18, 2012, 5:54 pm

Quote:

Next, you press and hold the home button. This will start Siri. The iDrive screen will be overtaken by what looks like a phone call to yourself; this is normal. You now put down the iPhone. Everything from here on in does not require any presses or speaking into the iPhone itself.

You say "read text messages". Siri will tell you you have a message and read it to you.

After you've heard the message, Siri will ask you if you would like to hear it repeated or if you would like to reply.

You say "reply". Siri will then ask you to say your message. Speaking normal, plain English, no need for heavy pauses or anything of that nature. To punctuate say things like "period" or "question mark" at the end of sentences.

Siri will tell you she's ready to send the message. She will then read it back to you and ask you if it's ready to send. You say "yes".

Siri will respond that she has sent the message. At that moment, hit the telephone button on your steering wheel to disengage the telephone and end the Siri session.

This is an example of what happens when you have an incoming text message that you reply to. You can also create a text message from scratch by pushing the home button, waiting for Siri to make the tone and simply say "send text message to my wife" et cetera et cetera. Remember, the only time you need to touch your iPhone in any of these Siri exchanges is the very first time where you have to press and hold the home button for two seconds to start Siri. After that, everything is handled by the car speakers, microphone, and the phone button on the steering wheel.

BJ
Thanks BJ this is great!
boltjaM3s commented:
October 18, 2012, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Thanks BJ this is great!
It gets better. Press and hold the Home button and say...

"What's the weather like tomorrow?"

"How windy is it out there?"

"What's the score of the Yankees game?"

"What movies are coming out this weekend?"

"Post on Facebook 'On my way to the beach in my 3 Series'"

"Remind me to call my mom when I get home"

"Any new email from Michael today?"

"What is today's date?"

"What's the date this Saturday?"

"Wake me up tomorrow at 7am"

"What does the rest of my day look like?"

"What's on my calendar for Friday?"

"When is my next appointment?"

"Schedule a planning meeting at 8:30 today in the boardroom"

You can do this right now in your F30, just have to hit the Home button then put your iPhone down.

Full list of Siri commands here:

http://www.windowstablettv.com/iphon...siri-commands/

BJ
voip-ninja commented:
October 18, 2012, 6:24 pm

Or ask Siri;

What is "The Matrix" about?
What is "Alien" about?
What is the movie "Star Wars" about?
What is the movie Inception about?
Siri, what is Star Trek about? (then choose the 2009 one).
sr5959 commented:
October 18, 2012, 6:28 pm

Quote:
It gets better. Press and hold the Home button and say...

"What's the weather like tomorrow?"

"How windy is it out there?"

"What's the score of the Yankees game?"

"What movies are coming out this weekend?"

"Post on Facebook 'On my way to the beach in my 3 Series'"

"Remind me to call my mom when I get home"

"Any new email from Michael today?"

"What is today's date?"

"What's the date this Saturday?"

"Wake me up tomorrow at 7am"

"What does the rest of my day look like?"

"What's on my calendar for Friday?"

"When is my next appointment?"

"Schedule a planning meeting at 8:30 today in the boardroom"

You can do this right now in your F30, just have to hit the Home button then put your iPhone down.

Full list of Siri commands here:

http://www.windowstablettv.com/iphon...siri-commands/

BJ
Thanks!

I haven't had that much success with it (just using Siri, not in car).

I try to get it to put my tennis matches on the Calendar and it usually (always) messes up. Has this POS got a problem with English accents???
boltjaM3s commented:
October 18, 2012, 6:31 pm

Quote:
Or ask Siri;

What is "The Matrix" about?
What is "Alien" about?
What is the movie "Star Wars" about?
What is the movie Inception about?
Getting back to your earlier question, the thing that BMW may charge us for either as an app or buying a silly cradle is full navigation integration.

You can ask Siri "find me six great Chinese restaurants near me" and Siri will bring them up with Yelp star recommendations and plot a course in Maps. Clearly, if this were fully integrated with the iDrive system, we'd be able to speak in natural English and have Siri send the address to iDrive. This is in conflict with both the native iDrive system, BMW apps, and the forthcoming Dragon voice pay per month program. Going to be interesting to see what we're allowed to access for free or have to pay for.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
October 18, 2012, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Thanks!

I haven't had that much success with it (just using Siri, not in car).

I try to get it to put my tennis matches on the Calendar and it usually (always) messes up. Has this POS got a problem with English accents???
Just like the keyboard on your iPhone or iPad, the more you use Siri and the more she studies your voice patterns and your corrections, the more accurate she gets.

Use her as much as you can, and she should get better and better.

BJ
voip-ninja commented:
October 18, 2012, 6:34 pm

Well, automakers have been fighting the smart phone revolution and they are losing. Mercedes has thrown the towel in, they've already said that their next Telematics system will basically revolve around Siri.

The value add is for them to give us the big screen and all that goodness, and maybe some more polished apps that integrate with iOS or Android. Right now what they are doing is selling us tech packages that have out-dated apps, marginal navigation and a lot less functionality than our smart phones, but they do give you that great big screen.
bmw325 commented:
October 18, 2012, 6:37 pm

Apparently, there are some cars that allow you to initiate a Siri session from the steering wheel. Basically its cause they give the option of using the car or the phones voice recognition..and if Siri is enabled on the phone it picks up. I think it was some Chrysler and maybe FOrd models but I can no longer find the article where I read that. Makes sense though cause even a cheap bluetooth headset can initiate a siri session. BMW's fancy built-in voice recogniton becomes a detriment in this case.

All BMW has to do is add a preference option in idrive to "use the phone's voice recognition". Woudl be helpful for more phones than just iphone with Siri. Or maybe some clever hacker will figure out a way to rig it up so you can double click the phone button to do it.
golovko commented:
October 18, 2012, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Apparently, there are some cars that allow you to initiate a Siri session from the steering wheel. Basically its cause they give the option of using the car or the phones voice recognition..and if Siri is enabled on the phone it picks up. I think it was some Chrysler and maybe FOrd models but I can no longer find the article where I read that. Makes sense though cause even a cheap bluetooth headset can initiate a siri session. BMW's fancy built-in voice recogniton becomes a detriment in this case.

All BMW has to do is add a preference option in idrive to "use the phone's voice recognition". Woudl be helpful for more phones than just iphone with Siri. Or maybe some clever hacker will figure out a way to rig it up so you can double click the phone button to do it.
99% sure that its not FORD that does that. It would directly compete with Microsoft Sync in FORDs.
voip-ninja commented:
October 18, 2012, 6:46 pm

old, but relevant to the discussion;

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/28/w...k-in-your-car/
sr5959 commented:
October 19, 2012, 12:41 am

Quote:

BJ
Great info on the use of Siri in-car BJ, thank you! I was trying it out all the way home and it really works well.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 19, 2012, 7:52 am

Quote:
Great info on the use of Siri in-car BJ, thank you! I was trying it out all the way home and it really works well.
Happy to be of assistance.

BJ
virus86 commented:
October 21, 2012, 8:54 pm

I just got the ipod touch 5g. Do you think I can use Siri the same way as an iphone (if we can use Siri on a 2012/2013 F30)? I have my ipod touch tethered to my phone via hotspot.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 21, 2012, 10:22 pm

Quote:
I just got the ipod touch 5g. Do you think I can use Siri the same way as an iphone (if we can use Siri on a 2012/2013 F30)? I have my ipod touch tethered to my phone via hotspot.
If your iPod has Bluetooth theoretically it should work.

BJ
voip-ninja commented:
October 21, 2012, 10:50 pm

Quote:
If your iPod has Bluetooth theoretically it should work.

BJ
It won't work because for Siri to work you need an internet connection. The only time an iPod touch is going to have an internet connection is at your house unless you have a wifi hotspot in the car with you.
golovko commented:
October 21, 2012, 10:58 pm

Quote:
It won't work because for Siri to work you need an internet connection. The only time an iPod touch is going to have an internet connection is at your house unless you have a wifi hotspot in the car with you.
Virus86 mentioned he had a hotspot through his phone. Although, if he has an iPhone not sure why he'd need the iPod Touch. I considered getting a new iPod Touch dedicated for the car for all of 2 minutes before I realized there would be little gain.
boltjaM3s commented:
October 21, 2012, 11:04 pm

Quote:
He mentioned the Hotspot and the iPod touch 5 has Bluetooth audio so theoretically it should work.

BJ
virus86 commented:
October 22, 2012, 12:01 am

My dedicated phone is an Android. Why would my itouch have to be connected to idrive via bluetooth? USB isnt sufficient enough?
golovko commented:
October 22, 2012, 12:04 am

Quote:
My dedicated phone is an Android. Why would my itouch have to be connected to idrive via bluetooth? USB isnt sufficient enough?
USB gives you more functionality then bluetooth such as album art. If you chose to, you can have your Android phone and iPod Touch synced together via bluetooth. But if its just sitting in the car full time may as well use USB.
3284me commented:
November 2, 2012, 5:29 am

6.01 update came out yesterday. Does anyone know if this included the fix for receiving email in thier car Nav screen?
voip-ninja commented:
November 2, 2012, 11:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
6.01 update came out yesterday. Does anyone know if this included the fix for receiving email in thier car Nav screen?
Pretty doubtful as its not in the release notes. It is more likely that this fix will come from BMW.
Mobileum commented:
November 2, 2012, 3:07 pm

I have tried both 6.01 and 6.1 Developer. No news, except in 6.1 I also lost the email entry in Office menu
golovko commented:
November 2, 2012, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobileum View Post
I have tried both 6.01 and 6.1 Developer. No news, except in 6.1 I also lost the email entry in Office menu
I was about to try 6.1 myself. I guess I will hold off.

Also, by "email entry" do you mean being able to compose emails or just the option to view email?
Mobileum commented:
November 2, 2012, 3:49 pm

Quote:
Also, by "email entry" do you mean being able to compose emails or just the option to view email?
Compose was never an option. Earlier, you could see the email symbol in the Office menu, but now its gone. No way to receive either email or text (without fiddling with the iPhone as described above).
sr5959 commented:
November 2, 2012, 6:31 pm

Quote:
I just tried it. I didn't notice any emails coming through; texts are still working fine.
EddieB commented:
November 2, 2012, 7:29 pm

Quote:
I just tried it. I didn't notice any emails coming through; texts are still working fine.
I just got an iPhone 5 a couple days ago. Should we be able to view texts on screen? And if you tell Siri to read a text to you will it default to the latest one if you have more than one or from more than one person?
3284me commented:
November 2, 2012, 7:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobileum View Post
I just Upgraded to an iPhone 5 from an iPhone 4 still getting text but no emails. Using 6.01.
pawarrant commented:
November 2, 2012, 9:02 pm

When I receive a text message there is an option to "call" on the left side of the message. When I select that it does not call the person who texted me, but instead tries to dial a bogus set of numbers. Has anyone else experienced this? (I have an F30 September build, and an iPhone 4S that I updated to IOS 6 yesterday.)
EddieB commented:
November 2, 2012, 9:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarrant View Post
When I receive a text message there is an option to "call" on the left side of the message. When I select that it does not call the person who texted me, but instead tries to dial a bogus set of numbers. Has anyone else experienced this? (I have an F30 September build, and an iPhone 4S that I updated to IOS 6 yesterday.)
A BMW bulletin says "Returning a Phone Call via the displayed Text Message/iMessage Is Not Possible. Customers should either dial the number directly or select a contact from their address book using iDrive."
650iQ7 commented:
November 3, 2012, 5:31 pm

Quote:
I just Upgraded to an iPhone 5 from an iPhone 4 still getting text but no emails. Using 6.01.
I can get email and whatsapp notifications on SMS inbox (iDrive office) if I turn off and then on the notification for each email and for whatsapp while connected to the idrive through bluetooth. The only problem is that you have to do it with each start
mscamp commented:
November 11, 2012, 6:13 pm

Quote:
Same here.
pawarrant commented:
November 11, 2012, 8:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
A BMW bulletin says "Returning a Phone Call via the displayed Text Message/iMessage Is Not Possible. Customers should either dial the number directly or select a contact from their address book using iDrive."
Thanks for the info. Hopefully they fix that with a software upgrade.
EddieB commented:
November 11, 2012, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarrant View Post
Thanks for the info. Hopefully they fix that with a software upgrade.
IIRC the Bulletin is dated 10/11 and was given to me when I picked up the car on 10/16

As an aside, I'm partial to black (my third black Bimmer) but the F30 sure does look good in red.
docal97 commented:
November 22, 2012, 11:23 am

Quote:
I was about to try 6.1 myself. I guess I will hold off.

Not good news that the second beta of ios 6.1 dosen't fix the email/text issues. Hopefully either the next beta or a software update from BMW corrects the problem.
desertpilot commented:
November 22, 2012, 2:58 pm

Hey guys,

I'm sure this is just PEBKAC, but I can't get this to work. I have an iPhone 4 and I just updated to iOS 6 (and also updated the car software), but when I pair the phone I don't get the "Office" option to pick from in the car.

Is this just because I have a 4 and not a 4s or 5? If so, jeesh I guess that's kinda weak but it wouldn't surprise me.
-=Hot|Ice=- commented:
November 22, 2012, 3:21 pm

When I had iOS 5, the car would read my messages. Ever since updating to iOS 6, the car won't recognize that I have messages. It just says it's empty and I have none. Help?
Mobileum commented:
November 22, 2012, 4:19 pm

Quote:
When I had iOS 5, the car would read my messages. Ever since updating to iOS 6, the car won't recognize that I have messages. It just says it's empty and I have none. Help?
You must wait until BMW/Apple get things sorted out.
-=Hot|Ice=- commented:
November 22, 2012, 4:22 pm

Drats. Thanks for the reply.
Stealth.Pilot commented:
November 22, 2012, 5:55 pm

Has anyone had USB connectivity issues with the iPhone 5? For the last 2 days, my car is no longer recognizing the phone being connected by USB...
EddieB commented:
November 22, 2012, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Has anyone had USB connectivity issues with the iPhone 5? For the last 2 days, my car is no longer recognizing the phone being connected by USB...
The car got confused with a playlist and wasn't displaying the correct song. It must've been on random even though it didn't show on the display.
mikepinkerton commented:
December 15, 2012, 2:57 pm

Sorry to revive this thread, but when I go into the bluetooth settings in my F30 (updated to latest firmware), my iPhone5 doesn't have a selection for "Messages", only "Telephone". Do I need to un-pair it and re-pair it?

-mike
Technic commented:
December 15, 2012, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepinkerton View Post
Sorry to revive this thread, but when I go into the bluetooth settings in my F30 (updated to latest firmware), my iPhone5 doesn't have a selection for "Messages", only "Telephone". Do I need to un-pair it and re-pair it?

-mike
Office is only available with BMW Assist and Navigation.
mikepinkerton commented:
December 16, 2012, 9:30 am

I have both of those options, including the upgraded USB and Bluetooth. I have a section for Office in the main menu of the car.

Mike
Technic commented:
December 16, 2012, 12:55 pm

Quote:
I have both of those options, including the upgraded USB and Bluetooth. I have a section for Office in the main menu of the car.

Mike
Enable Office under Bluetooth-> Configure Bluetooth at iDrive. Messages selection should show up then.

Read manual for details or visit dealer.
mikepinkerton commented:
December 16, 2012, 2:37 pm

Yup, I did all that. It's still not showing up. Do I need to re-pair my phone with bluetooth to get it to show up?
boltjaM3s commented:
December 16, 2012, 3:02 pm

Quote:
Yup, I did all that. It's still not showing up. Do I need to re-pair my phone with bluetooth to get it to show up?
If you haven't updated your iDrive firmware in the last 6 months, that's the issue:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp

BJ
Technic commented:
December 16, 2012, 3:45 pm

Quote:
You should, as Office and Messages are to supposed to be shown since 09/10 with Nav and BMW Assist. No need (but it may help to do it) of any Combox software update if your car was produced after that month.

It should take some time after re-pairing, but it should show up. Otherwise, you will need to take your car to the dealer for an iDrive firmware update.
mikepinkerton commented:
December 16, 2012, 8:30 pm

My car was produced 4/12, and I just updated the firmware. I'll try re-pairing.
the_jaguar commented:
March 23, 2013, 10:56 pm

sorry about reviving this thread - I have an iphone 4S and I have a 2012 F30 328i with BMW Assist, advanced BT and USB option, but yet I don't see any of my messages. All that I see is my Address Book. I have updated to the latest firmware version from the BMW website, and tried repairing the device, but no luck..

I would really appreciate any/all help..
boltjaM3s commented:
March 25, 2013, 12:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jaguar View Post
sorry about reviving this thread - I have an iphone 4S and I have a 2012 F30 328i with BMW Assist, advanced BT and USB option, but yet I don't see any of my messages. All that I see is my Address Book. I have updated to the latest firmware version from the BMW website, and tried repairing the device, but no luck..

I would really appreciate any/all help..
First off, welcome aboard.

The 2012 F30 had a few options that weren't standard with what we now call the Technology package. Please let us know if you have options like "Smart phone preparation" or language like that on your car, might shed some light on the Office functionality you refer to.

BJ
the_jaguar commented:
March 25, 2013, 12:40 pm

Quote:
First off, welcome aboard.

The 2012 F30 had a few options that weren't standard with what we now call the Technology package. Please let us know if you have options like "Smart phone preparation" or language like that on your car, might shed some light on the Office functionality you refer to.

BJ
Thanks for the welcome, BJ

I do have Office show up in the menu - when I go into it, I see a box with 3 icons and 0's against all 3 of them. I have gone into my iphone and made all the recommended changes (alert badges for mail and messages, show in lock screen, etc). I have also gone into the bluetooth menu and ensured that "show notifications" is enabled for my BMW.

Here are the codes that show up in my config - S6AAA, S6ABA, S6NFA, S6NLA, S6NRA.
boltjaM3s commented:
March 25, 2013, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome, BJ

I do have Office show up in the menu - when I go into it, I see a box with 3 icons and 0's against all 3 of them. I have gone into my iphone and made all the recommended changes (alert badges for mail and messages, show in lock screen, etc). I have also gone into the bluetooth menu and ensured that "show notifications" is enabled for my BMW.

Here are the codes that show up in my config - S6AAA, S6ABA, S6NFA, S6NLA, S6NRA.
Okay then. You have all the options you need. So it's not the BMW.

Have you updated the iPhone to the newest iOS firmware (came out last Wednesday)?

BJ
the_jaguar commented:
March 25, 2013, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Okay then. You have all the options you need. So it's not the BMW.

Have you updated the iPhone to the newest iOS firmware (came out last Wednesday)?

BJ
Not yet, I am on the previous version. I did see a thread that mentioned that the latest 6.1.3 update helped a few people - I guess it's time for me to update.. I just find it a bit disappointing that BMW/Apple are having such a hard time enabling a simple feature like this...
boltjaM3s commented:
March 25, 2013, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Not yet, I am on the previous version. I did see a thread that mentioned that the latest 6.1.3 update helped a few people - I guess it's time for me to update.. I just find it a bit disappointing that BMW/Apple are having such a hard time enabling a simple feature like this...
Do this:

1. Delete the iPhone from iDrive. Go into settings, find the phone in Bluetooth, delete the profile.

2. Delete the BMW from iPhone. Go into Bluetooth settings, delete the BMW profile.

3. Update your iPhone's firmware in iTunes or over the air if your phone supports it.

4. Re-do the pairing process in your F30.

BJ
the_jaguar commented:
March 25, 2013, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Do this:

1. Delete the iPhone from iDrive. Go into settings, find the phone in Bluetooth, delete the profile.

2. Delete the BMW from iPhone. Go into Bluetooth settings, delete the BMW profile.

3. Update your iPhone's firmware in iTunes or over the air if your phone supports it.

BJ
Thanks - will do it when I get a chance.
the_jaguar commented:
March 25, 2013, 11:56 pm

Quote:
Do this:

BJ
ok, I have partial success to report - since I have a jailbroken iphone, after a bit of reading, I ended up installing BTNotificationEnabler (which ensures that all relevant apps push updates via BT). I got into my car and tested sending an email and a text message to my phone - both of them showed up in the office menu without any issues! yay! I still can't read emails/text messages that are already on the phone, but this is definitely a good start.

One question - is there a way to get a notification either on the instrument cluster or HUD or on the control display when I receive an email/text message?
Medic commented:
March 29, 2013, 2:53 pm

So, I followed al the instructions, (Tx guys) and this is the end result on the screen. As far as I understand the process, I should be good to go? I know messages are going through, but I have yet to receive an email...
boltjaM3s commented:
March 29, 2013, 3:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post
So, I followed al the instructions, (Tx guys) and this is the end result on the screen. As far as I understand the process, I should be good to go? I know messages are going through, but I have yet to receive an email...
Yes. You look good.

BJ
Medic commented:
March 29, 2013, 3:14 pm

^^thanks, not an easy process for sure.
tristras commented:
March 30, 2013, 1:38 am

Quote:
^^thanks, not an easy process for sure.
What is the third icon for? (with the envelope and the "i")
boltjaM3s commented:
March 30, 2013, 1:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristras View Post
Service messages from BMW Assist.

BJ
Medic commented:
March 30, 2013, 10:37 am

Quote:
As BJ said, it where you get the messages under BMW assist, like service calls and such. This is also where maps from Google maps end up when you send them.
tristras commented:
March 30, 2013, 12:44 pm

Thank you. I only have the first two icons. I'm getting notifications for emails and text messages
Bimmermeupscoty commented:
March 30, 2013, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Thank you. I only have the first two icons. I'm getting notifications for emails and text messages
What do the two you have look like? If one has an "i" in the corner, that is the MyInfo inbox for BMW Assist. The one with an "@" is the email inbox.
shag commented:
March 31, 2013, 9:28 am

Quote:
Love the butchered translation for "Unread Messages"...
Medic commented:
March 31, 2013, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Love the butchered translation for "Unread Messages"...
It's actually not too bad.