BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Official Apple iPhone iOS6 F30 Thread

144K views 233 replies 48 participants last post by  boltjaM3s 
#1 · (Edited)

We have all seen the commercial from BMW showing off the man pulling up to the driveway in his F30 and receiving a text message from his wife being read by the car. If you haven't seen the video then, you can quick take a peek now.

Well, with iOS 6, iPhone users can finally take advantage of this feature in the car over bluetooth. The set up is mostly straight forward but I have to admit that I'm not 100% sure what I did to get it working in the end. I think the solution was getting the settings right then walking away from the car for a while and returning to the scene. It wasn't very scientific but it ended up working. The only problem we seem to be having now is that the notifications are only working with text messages and not emails. We'll keep working on it to see if it is something simple like needing all your email addresses set up to send notifications over bluetooth.

The quick and easy way to get this set up on your car is to do the following:

• Upgrade your phone to iOS 6
  • If you have paired your phone previous, remove the pairing from your phone and the iDrive system just to start fresh.
  • In iDrive go to Telephone -> Bluetooth -> Your Phone and the push the iDrive controller to the right to get to the main configuration screen
  • Scroll down to Configure Bluetooth and make sure that the check box for "Office" is checked
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Bluetooth -> Your BMW and touch the blue arrow to go to the settings. Make sure that the Show Notifications slider is set to "ON"
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Notifications -> Messages. Make sure the following sections are "ON": Notification Center, Show Preview and View in Lock Screen. We also changed the alert style to Alerts in this section.
  • After getting it all set up and testing by letting the phone lock itself (not pushing the lock button) and sending a text message from another device, it still did not work for us initially. This is the part about shutting off the car and walking away for at least 5 or 10 minutes. Maybe there is a bug that needs the connection to be severed and re-connected to make things work. It is sort of a mystery right now. After coming back and having a message sent the system worked and the notifications came through to the iDrive and were read aloud by the car.

We should have more information on this as we go but we wanted to get a quick report out to show you that it at least sort of works!

BMW F30 3 series iOS6 integration review

BMW's official statement about iOS 6 compatibility
During the past several months, BMW has done extensive Apps, Bluetooth, and USB / audio testing with "pre-release" versions of iOS 6 running primarily on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S devices. This testing has occurred in collaboration with Apple, and we are confident that the final production version for the devices listed above will work well with our vehicles.

The BMW Group continues to work closely with Apple on the validation of the iPhone 5 for BMW vehicles and will be able to announce relevant developments in the future. It is expected that all app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one's song library using the BMW and MINI controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps and MINI Connected to replicate the look of the iPhone interface will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed. Since 2004 the company has established a history of finding solutions for iPod and smartphone integration where none had previously existed.

Have an iPhone 5? Check out the Official iPhone 5 F30 Integration Thread

Attachments

See less See more
2 3
#47 ·
So, I got in the car today and started driving, and a few minutes later, I got a text. Not only did it not show up, but neither did the text messages I had gotten the day before. A few minutes later, I got a second text, and it DID show up on the iDrive.

So it looks like it takes a few minutes beyond the normal BT connection process for the messages to start showing up.

#49 ·
I didn't know if I should start a separate thread or not, so I figured I'd just post on this one. I picked up the Iphone 5 for Verizon this morning. I set up the phone, and put all my apps back on including all of the BMW apps. I just tested out the new phone with the Lightning to USB cable in the glove compartment to the car, and unfortunately, none of the apps work. The BMW connected app, Pandora, MOG, Stitcher or Aupeo, do not connect with the iPhone 5. This really sucks, as we were led to believe that these apps would still work. Maybe Im doing something wrong ( I don't think I am). MOG, Stitcher and Pandora do try to connect, but ultimately do not. The BMW Connected app doesn't even attempt to make a connection. Hopefully updates will be coming soon

#50 ·
I didn't know if I should start a separate thread or not, so I figured I'd just post on this one. I picked up the Iphone 5 for Verizon this morning. I set up the phone, and put all my apps back on including all of the BMW apps. I just tested out the new phone with the Lightning to USB cable in the glove compartment to the car, and unfortunately, none of the apps work. The BMW connected app, Pandora, MOG, Stitcher or Aupeo, do not connect with the iPhone 5. This really sucks, as we were led to believe that these apps would still work. Maybe Im doing something wrong ( I don't think I am). MOG, Stitcher and Pandora do try to connect, but ultimately do not. The BMW Connected app doesn't even attempt to make a connection. Hopefully updates will be coming soon
Unfortunately, you did something wrong.

Use the center console USB port, please. It will work; I just tested an iPhone 5 in my E92 M3 and it works fine with BMW Apps.

#61 ·
Anyone know what to use to update the software on the BMW because neither my memory stick or Hard drive works. Does it need to be formatted to FAT or NFS or Mac?

Thanks
Use empty memory stick and place .bin file by itself. No folders. I use Windows and it always works 100% of the time -5 cars updated so far.

Once you select "Software update" it should be recognized immediately.

#63 ·
After upgrading my 4s to iOS6, it will not connect via the snap-in (media) adapter sold by BMW (no apps, no playlist, no pandora, etc.). Everything does work when plugged in via USB cable. I think the snap-in adapter is more than just another USB port - it connects the phone to the car's antenna system, etc. My snap-in adapter is the one with the small cooling fan.

#67 ·
After upgrading my 4s to iOS6, it will not connect via the snap-in (media) adapter sold by BMW (no apps, no playlist, no pandora, etc.). Everything does work when plugged in via USB cable. I think the snap-in adapter is more than just another USB port - it connects the phone to the car's antenna system, etc. My snap-in adapter is the one with the small cooling fan.
Of course the snap in is more than a secondary USB. However -as you found out- connecting to the OEM cell antenna or iPod Out did not have anything to do with your problem. Your problem was the lack of the secondary USB connection.

#65 ·
It looks like he is reporting that it will NOT work with the snap in adapter but does work with the USB cable... which is odd, since it's not possible to do video or iPod out with the USB cable.

In any event it appears that he's having trouble with iOS 6 and the snap-in adapter.

#66 ·
I was able to finally resolve my issue by completely removing the snap-in adapter and re-installing. I noticed this caused the snap-in adapter to register as new USB device #. Maybe iDrive was trying to resume playing music from last time I ejected my iPhone and didn't expect to find a new OS with the same device #?

#96 ·
Ok just tested.

iPhone 4s running iOS 6:

If I am actively streaming Bluetooth I do get audio alerts for new texts.

If I'm listening to radio I don't get the audio alert just the envelope icon.

Don't think I am getting any emails yet so I'll keep trying on that...

#98 ·
Damn. I'll try again in the morning, see if it happens to me.

Also, no idea why, but my iPhone 5 isn't recognized at all when I plug it into the USB port in the armrest instead of my iPod touch using the pack-in Lighting-to-USB cord. Doesn't show up as a USB device, doesn't show up as a choice to play music in Media, doesn't work with BMW Connected app. It charges, that's it.

Any ideas? Do I need to disable Bluetooth entirely in order to get my iPhone 5 to be recognized when I plug it into a USB port?

BJ

#101 ·
This is what I found... emails are fully displayed with iOS6 right after the update but they will be listed under Texts, though. Then at subsequent pairings the emails will ceased to be displayed unless the trick of changing the iPhone notification number of email showings is changed right after each pairing.

In other words, update 1005 does not fix the email display problem with iOS6 -which makes sense as this update is for iOS5.

#102 ·
We have Iphones 4s at work coming out of our ears so I gave up my trusted BB and had one of my techs set one up for me. It's going to take a few days to get used to it but I figured since the F30 is kind of geared towards the Iphones might as well switch.

Now I guess I have to go and read this thread. My Iphone does have IOS6.

#105 ·
My iPhone 5 w/iOS 6 has worked fine on the USB port since I got it two weeks ago. The only issue I've had is that periodically it has acted a little weird when first plugged in, such as not playing music or displaying album/artists info. If I wait a while or unplug it and plug it back in it works fine.

Hopefully BMW puts it into higher gear than they historically have and provide new phone software a little faster this time. Before next spring would be nice.

#106 · (Edited)
I tested out my friend's iTouch 2G (iOS 3) on my car to see how the my BMW handles the music and I really like it. The BMW apps require iOS 5+, so I have to get an iTouch 3G+. I used to own a 32GB 4G, but sold it when I got my Motorola Bionic. I bought a iTouch 4G 16GB today and it already comes with iOS 6 preloaded. So far, I dont like it. When Im playing music in my car and skip to the next song, there is a lag and I miss the first few seconds of the song. Since this is a brand new iTouch, would something running in the background cause the lag? I hope apple releases an update to solve a bunch bugs, including the app store constantly crashing. I also hope the new iTouch is released in the next 30 days so I can exchange if necessary.

#107 · (Edited)
First off, an iPod touch will be useless for you in a moving vehicle as its wi-fi only. Those of us that use an iPod touch do so strictly for music, the apps such as Facebook and Twitter do not function. An Apple iPhone is what is necessary to take advantage of BMW apps. My setup is an iPhone 5 via Bluetooth only for phone only, and an older iPod touch via USB running iOS 5 strictly for music.

Next, please confirm that you are connecting this iPod touch via the USB port and the white Apple cable. You should be experiencing no delay at all between tracks except the customary one second skip duration. If you are using the white Apple cable and the USB port, try a hard reset of your iPod touch. Press and hold the button on the top edge as well as the home button through the black screen until the white Apple logo comes up again. Don't let go of both buttons until the screen goes black, and the Apple logo comes up again.

BJ

#109 ·
Interestingly enough, Txt messaging on AT&T iPhone now works for me after using the described set up. It works when phone is in or out of cradle, locked or unlocked.

Also interesting is that my email mailboxes show up but email remains broken.

The phone is running iOS 6 on a 4S and the BMW software has also been upgraded to the latest version for my '12 F02.

I also unpaired my phone in the BMW and on iPhone and then re paired everything to have a fresh instal.

Hopefully Apple will fix the remaining issues with email.

#116 ·
So, I wrote to BMW about the iPhone 5 issue for folks without the Tech package and they sent the following reply which suggests that either a cable or sw update will be available in the future.

CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com wrote:

To Whom It May Concern:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding iPhone 5 compatibility with our vehicles.

We are continuing to work closely with Apple on the validation of the iPhone 5 for BMW vehicles and will be able to announce relevant developments in the future. Unfortunately, Apple did not distribute the iPhone 5 earlier to automobile manufacturers than to the general public, so we will address any issues of concern after our evaluation of the device. We anticipate app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one***8217;s song library using the BMW controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps to replicate the look of the iPhone interface, will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed, and we appreciate your patience as we work through the process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.