BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Official Apple iPhone iOS6 F30 Thread

144K views 233 replies 48 participants last post by  boltjaM3s 
#1 · (Edited)

We have all seen the commercial from BMW showing off the man pulling up to the driveway in his F30 and receiving a text message from his wife being read by the car. If you haven't seen the video then, you can quick take a peek now.

Well, with iOS 6, iPhone users can finally take advantage of this feature in the car over bluetooth. The set up is mostly straight forward but I have to admit that I'm not 100% sure what I did to get it working in the end. I think the solution was getting the settings right then walking away from the car for a while and returning to the scene. It wasn't very scientific but it ended up working. The only problem we seem to be having now is that the notifications are only working with text messages and not emails. We'll keep working on it to see if it is something simple like needing all your email addresses set up to send notifications over bluetooth.

The quick and easy way to get this set up on your car is to do the following:

• Upgrade your phone to iOS 6
  • If you have paired your phone previous, remove the pairing from your phone and the iDrive system just to start fresh.
  • In iDrive go to Telephone -> Bluetooth -> Your Phone and the push the iDrive controller to the right to get to the main configuration screen
  • Scroll down to Configure Bluetooth and make sure that the check box for "Office" is checked
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Bluetooth -> Your BMW and touch the blue arrow to go to the settings. Make sure that the Show Notifications slider is set to "ON"
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Notifications -> Messages. Make sure the following sections are "ON": Notification Center, Show Preview and View in Lock Screen. We also changed the alert style to Alerts in this section.
  • After getting it all set up and testing by letting the phone lock itself (not pushing the lock button) and sending a text message from another device, it still did not work for us initially. This is the part about shutting off the car and walking away for at least 5 or 10 minutes. Maybe there is a bug that needs the connection to be severed and re-connected to make things work. It is sort of a mystery right now. After coming back and having a message sent the system worked and the notifications came through to the iDrive and were read aloud by the car.

We should have more information on this as we go but we wanted to get a quick report out to show you that it at least sort of works!

BMW F30 3 series iOS6 integration review

BMW's official statement about iOS 6 compatibility
During the past several months, BMW has done extensive Apps, Bluetooth, and USB / audio testing with "pre-release" versions of iOS 6 running primarily on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S devices. This testing has occurred in collaboration with Apple, and we are confident that the final production version for the devices listed above will work well with our vehicles.

The BMW Group continues to work closely with Apple on the validation of the iPhone 5 for BMW vehicles and will be able to announce relevant developments in the future. It is expected that all app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one's song library using the BMW and MINI controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps and MINI Connected to replicate the look of the iPhone interface will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed. Since 2004 the company has established a history of finding solutions for iPod and smartphone integration where none had previously existed.

Have an iPhone 5? Check out the Official iPhone 5 F30 Integration Thread

Attachments

See less See more
2 3
#118 ·
328i - I also just picked up a new X3 on October 5th. It was NOT delivered with the update. That was the first order of business. I would encourage you to go to BMW.com/update and put the 1005 update on a USB and download through the USB port in your arm rest.

Also for others here, another alternative to changing the number of notifications displayed to enable emails each time is to just toggle notifications for the email account on and off each time after you pair the phone to the car. It's just a little quicker and easier yet still an annoyance. Would love to know when a new iOS 6 update will come out to revise the MAP capability so we can receive emails and texts both separately and automatically.

#121 ·
328i - I also just picked up a new X3 on October 5th. It was NOT delivered with the update. That was the first order of business. I would encourage you to go to BMW.com/update and put the 1005 update on a USB and download through the USB port in your arm rest.

Also for others here, another alternative to changing the number of notifications displayed to enable emails each time is to just toggle notifications for the email account on and off each time after you pair the phone to the car. It's just a little quicker and easier yet still an annoyance. Would love to know when a new iOS 6 update will come out to revise the MAP capability so we can receive emails and texts both separately and automatically.
Just tried the update. Says I have the latest version. Here are the screenshot:

#124 ·
Hey Technic, or anyone that would know...

What would be the advantage of using the iPhone 5 + Lightning adapter + Media cradle with an F30 (tech pack), as opposed to the standard Lightning-to-USB in the armrest port?

I have the .2m Apple adapter, and the Media cradle needs a slight modification to accept the adapter 30-pin end. But it can be done. I haven't done it yet because I'm "in between cars", so I'm just curious if there is any reason to hang onto the Media cradle.

#125 ·
Hi Sam... the Media cradle distinctive features over the USB port are to access iPod Out, fan cooling and inductive antenna connection. Nether the iPhone 5 or its Lightning adapter provide the analog iPod Out required by the cradle/baseplate. Having the adapter with an extension cable plugged into the cradle defeats the purpose of having the inductive OEM antenna connection and the fan for cooling features as the iPhone will not be physically snapped in. It will be externally connected to the cradle by .2m.

So it is useless to use the adapter with the Media cradle.

#129 ·
I posted this on F30post too.

Finally, git the Lightning to 30-pin adapter cable which is better than just the Lightning adapter, cuz now joined with the Y-cable it's long enough to come out of the arm rest. And it recognized my tracks and playlists too. I can now use iDrive and wheel controls to select tracks.

What it doesn't do is allow me to change rdio/spotify tracks through iDrive/wheel (i can do this in my girl's fiat, so i assumed it would work in the bmw too...i guess not). Maybe a BMW update in the future will fix it. Something tells me this won't current work on older iphones either. Will check with my iPhone 4 later.

I can now charge my iPhone 5 and play music through it at the same time without the clutter of two long cables coming out of the arm rest. Now it's just one small cable coming out.

So, this is fairly satisfying to me I suppose.

#130 ·
Am I missing something, why are so many people having issues or do they not have the tech package?

I do have the technology package so I have the bluetooth streaming, improved USB functionality, etc.

I do not use a y adaptor, nor do I have a lightning adapter.

Using my iPhone 5 I can stream music from Spotify or the native music app over bluetooth. I can change tracks in Spotify through the HUD or the control display. This does not mean I can see a list of all my tracks but I can see the next/prev selections in addition to the currently playing track name in the HUD & control display. With the native music app I can see the full list of tracks. Limitation of the iPhone is my guess because its worked this way for me with numerous car nav systems. I can read texts and emails (with email display count trick)

Over USB everything works the same as over bluetooth but with a few additions. I can see album art in the control display, I can see my calendar events (across multiple calendar accounts) to name a few. I am just using the standard lightning cable to USB that ships with the iPhone 5 and plugging it into the center console USB.

However, I can not stream music through the glovebox USB port.

#137 ·
Am I missing something, why are so many people having issues or do they not have the tech package?

I do have the technology package so I have the bluetooth streaming, improved USB functionality, etc.

I do not use a y adaptor, nor do I have a lightning adapter.

Using my iPhone 5 I can stream music from Spotify or the native music app over bluetooth. I can change tracks in Spotify through the HUD or the control display. This does not mean I can see a list of all my tracks but I can see the next/prev selections in addition to the currently playing track name in the HUD & control display. With the native music app I can see the full list of tracks. Limitation of the iPhone is my guess because its worked this way for me with numerous car nav systems.I can read texts and emails (with email display count trick)

Over USB everything works the same as over bluetooth but with a few additions. I can see album art in the control display, I can see my calendar events (across multiple calendar accounts) to name a few. I am just using the standard lightning cable to USB that ships with the iPhone 5 and plugging it into the center console USB.

However, I can not stream music through the glovebox USB port.

hi. can you elaborate on what the email display count trick is?

thanks.

#138 ·
Sure, its been mentioned before (not sure if its in this thread or another)

Each time after your iPhone is paired with your car you need to go to (on your phone) Settings -> Notifications -> Mail -> Show then select one of the 3 options that isn't already selected. Its an annoying workaround but gets the job done 100% of the time.

#139 ·
Sure, its been mentioned before (not sure if its in this thread or another)

Each time after your iPhone is paired with your car you need to go to (on your phone) Settings -> Notifications -> Mail -> Show then select one of the 3 options that isn't already selected. Its an annoying workaround but gets the job done 100% of the time.
ok thanks. so this seems a simpler solution than what i did. i used to go to each settings-notifications-mail, then for each email account, turn notifications off, then on again.

so i just go to show then select a different option (choices are 1 unread, 5 unread and 10 unread). so if my default is 5, i just select 1 or 10 then its good? then if i exit the car and reenter, just select a different one? or do i select a different one (other than the default) then put it back to the default again?

sorry if it does not make sense...

#154 ·
The sad thing is, by the time someone gets around to fixing it (either Apple or BMW) I'll be on an iPhone5S suffering from the same issue all over again, or something similar.

#156 ·
Nah, by then we'll be using full Siri integration to have our texts read to us, none of this BMW Office stuff will matter at all.

You know that you can use Siri with Bluetooth audio right now and its somewhat awesome, yes? Siri over the car speakers and using the car microphone.

The only thing it can't do yet is be activated by the steering wheel, everything else works including disengaging Siri with the steering wheel.

In case you haven't tried it yet, pick up your iPhone, press and hold the Home button, then put the phone down. Say "Text my wife I'll be home by 7:30 tonight". Siri will confirm you want to send it. Say "yes" (no button press necessary). Siri will send. Then press the Phone button on the steering wheel. You've just used the BMW audio system to send a text 99% hands free (the initial Home button press the only time).

BJ

#158 ·
I haven't tried it yet, but it might work.

I've been using Siri a lot lately, it really makes the Office feature unnecessary. Siri can send and read text messages completely wirelessly, completely hands-free, using the car's speakers and microphone, no need to use the iDrive controller either. See my post above and give it a try yourself.

At the last Apple keynote, they announced that BMW is one of 12 launch partners that will have full Siri integration available by April 2013. Everything we're doing now with iDrive and text messaging and email is a stopgap until we get this Siri integration.

BJ

#160 · (Edited)
(Repost for those who missed it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_xgjxcGGcE&sns=em

Another thing that might not be remembered:

Back in May, Apple announced the features of iOS6 including something called "Eyes Free" which allows Siri integration into cars. They put up a graphic showing BMW as one of the partners committing to the program "within 12 months". Would work with the 4S and the 5.

The video should start at the 10:20 mark where this is mentioned.

BJ

#170 ·
Or ask Siri;

What is "The Matrix" about?
What is "Alien" about?
What is the movie "Star Wars" about?
What is the movie Inception about?
Getting back to your earlier question, the thing that BMW may charge us for either as an app or buying a silly cradle is full navigation integration.

You can ask Siri "find me six great Chinese restaurants near me" and Siri will bring them up with Yelp star recommendations and plot a course in Maps. Clearly, if this were fully integrated with the iDrive system, we'd be able to speak in natural English and have Siri send the address to iDrive. This is in conflict with both the native iDrive system, BMW apps, and the forthcoming Dragon voice pay per month program. Going to be interesting to see what we're allowed to access for free or have to pay for.

BJ

#172 ·
Well, automakers have been fighting the smart phone revolution and they are losing. Mercedes has thrown the towel in, they've already said that their next Telematics system will basically revolve around Siri.

The value add is for them to give us the big screen and all that goodness, and maybe some more polished apps that integrate with iOS or Android. Right now what they are doing is selling us tech packages that have out-dated apps, marginal navigation and a lot less functionality than our smart phones, but they do give you that great big screen.

#173 · (Edited)
Apparently, there are some cars that allow you to initiate a Siri session from the steering wheel. Basically its cause they give the option of using the car or the phones voice recognition..and if Siri is enabled on the phone it picks up. I think it was some Chrysler and maybe FOrd models but I can no longer find the article where I read that. Makes sense though cause even a cheap bluetooth headset can initiate a siri session. BMW's fancy built-in voice recogniton becomes a detriment in this case.

All BMW has to do is add a preference option in idrive to "use the phone's voice recognition". Woudl be helpful for more phones than just iphone with Siri. Or maybe some clever hacker will figure out a way to rig it up so you can double click the phone button to do it.

#174 ·
Apparently, there are some cars that allow you to initiate a Siri session from the steering wheel. Basically its cause they give the option of using the car or the phones voice recognition..and if Siri is enabled on the phone it picks up. I think it was some Chrysler and maybe FOrd models but I can no longer find the article where I read that. Makes sense though cause even a cheap bluetooth headset can initiate a siri session. BMW's fancy built-in voice recogniton becomes a detriment in this case.

All BMW has to do is add a preference option in idrive to "use the phone's voice recognition". Woudl be helpful for more phones than just iphone with Siri. Or maybe some clever hacker will figure out a way to rig it up so you can double click the phone button to do it.
99% sure that its not FORD that does that. It would directly compete with Microsoft Sync in FORDs.

#184 ·
USB gives you more functionality then bluetooth such as album art. If you chose to, you can have your Android phone and iPod Touch synced together via bluetooth. But if its just sitting in the car full time may as well use USB.

#188 ·
I was about to try 6.1 myself. I guess I will hold off.

Also, by "email entry" do you mean being able to compose emails or just the option to view email?

#194 · (Edited)
A BMW bulletin says "Returning a Phone Call via the displayed Text Message/iMessage Is Not Possible. Customers should either dial the number directly or select a contact from their address book using iDrive."

#200 ·
Hey guys,

I'm sure this is just PEBKAC, but I can't get this to work. I have an iPhone 4 and I just updated to iOS 6 (and also updated the car software), but when I pair the phone I don't get the "Office" option to pick from in the car.

Is this just because I have a 4 and not a 4s or 5? If so, jeesh I guess that's kinda weak but it wouldn't surprise me.

#201 ·
When I had iOS 5, the car would read my messages. Ever since updating to iOS 6, the car won't recognize that I have messages. It just says it's empty and I have none. Help?

#204 ·
Has anyone had USB connectivity issues with the iPhone 5? For the last 2 days, my car is no longer recognizing the phone being connected by USB...

#205 ·
The car got confused with a playlist and wasn't displaying the correct song. It must've been on random even though it didn't show on the display.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.