BMW is enabling the automatic transmission to see the route ahead increasing vehicle performance and fuel economy. As part of BMW's Innovation Day 2012 BMW hinted at this future technology.
The new predictive smart transmissions will start working their way into BMW products in 2013, probably at the July model year switch over. Expect for BMW to continue finding ways to make their cars more sporty and fuel efficient as every tightening standards and fuel prices push innovation.
|The new Predictive Power Management system enables the automatic transmission to "foresee" the route ahead. The electronics utilize data pertaining to the route, drawn from the navigation system, to optimize the transmission control enabling it to deal with the driving conditions ahead. The transmission is aware of a bend in the road, even before the driver has taken his foot off the accelerator, and automatically selects the right gear. The vehicle can negotiate the bend under a light load and accelerate out of it far better.|
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- N51 SULEV Warranty Experience
- Possible diff problem
- Bmw 2009 coupe hard top
- 2007 328i steering pump pulley not spinning smoothly
- Will these snow wheels and tires fit my 2011 328i xdrive
- Not sure what i need to do!!!
- Service questions. And lighting
- HELP PLEASE - 2010 E90 318i SE Saloon UK Model Boot Release
- E92 xenon vs. Halogen internals
- Why should I buy an automatic 335i?