The next generation BMW M3 sedan, chassis code F80, has been spied with the hood up showing off the engine. As confirmed by BMW CEO Ludwig Willisch at Bimmerfest 2012 the next generation M3 is indeed a twin turbo inline 6 cylinder. This puts to rest any rumors of a V6 engine for the next generation M3. The new M3 engine borrows technology from the M5/M6 engine. The air-to-water intercooler is clearly evident on the right of the motor and the two intake tubes confirm two turbos feeding it. The oil cooler housing is right off the N54/N55 so that gives some hint that engine displacement will be around 3.0 to 3.5 liters. Power is estimated to be 450hp with about the same for torque, putting the M3 above its rivals for power.
The next generation M3 will also be packed with technology to put the power down faster and more effectively. The active differential from the M5/M6 will make its way over, along with an all aluminum suspension and solid mount rear subframe. Look for the M3 to shed considerable weight over the F30 sedan as well making it faster in a straight line as well as through the corners.
View more F80 M3 engine pictures at AutoExpress
Stay tuned for more F80 M3 news as we get it.
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- Rough idle after replacing EVERYTHING
- Please Help 2006 325i Smoking and burning smell
- Hiss noise coming from exhaust at cold start up e93 328i
- Does it matter what coolant I put.
- who works on their cars themselves? maintenance and upgrades
- new 335i owner/limp mode
- BMW Leather Dye - 2009 Dakota Grey (GRAU 60)
- "another" e90x gauge pod mod
- what are the strongest rims for e92
- Lux Angle eyes