Official iPhone 5 F30 Integration Thread

by Tim Jones on September 20, 2012, 5:13 pm
iPhone 5 BMW F30 3 series integration

For the last week we've been testing our iPhone 5 with the Bimmerfest project 328i F30 3 series. We're pleased to report that everything is working as it should. Before jumping into our iPhone 5 testing we spent time with our iPhone 4 and the newly released iOS 6 (read article). With the faster speed of the A6 processor in the new phone pairing it to the F30 with Bluetooth or the USB cable for BMW ConnectedDrive seems a bit faster.

BMW snap-in Adapter

The big disappointment with the iPhone 5 in the F30 is the incompatible snap in adapter. The iPhone 5 is about half an inch longer then the 4/4S and uses the new Apple "lighting" connector. As you can see there is no way the old snap in adapter would work, even with an Lighting connection adapter. BMW has been quite about when we will see an iPhone 5 compatible snap in adapter. Tear downs of the Lighting cable show that Apple has embedded an authentication chip in the connector so BMW is probably in the process of licensing the technology from Apple.

BMW ConnectedDrive with the Apple iPhone 5

Overall the new features of the iPhone 5, which come from iOS6, are a great addition. Having the car read you text messages or emails is a neat feature. The integration is still a little clunky but it is much safer then using your phone while driving. I have a feeling there will be an upgrade for the car software from BMW in the next few months that will make the integration better as they continue to test with the iPhone 5.

Stay tuned for more iPhone 5 testing and updates for the BMW F30 3 series.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is BMW's statement on iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Compatibility?
BMW says "It is expected that all app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one's song library using the BMW and MINI controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps and MINI Connected to replicate the look of the iPhone interface will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed."

When will BMW release the iPhone 5 Snap In Adapter?
BMW has not committed to a specific date yet but has been busy testing iOS 6. BMW tends to move slowly on this type of thing so do not expect it anytime soon. I'm thinking spring of 2014

If you're running iOS 6 on the iPhone 4 or 4S add to our iOS6 topic.

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

93 responses to Official iPhone 5 F30 Integration Thread

Technic commented:
September 21, 2012, 2:56 pm

FYI: iPhone 5 works perfectly with BMW Apps. The biggest improvement that I could see was the inclusion of LTE... connecting to a BMW Apps Web Radio station is so fast now compared with the 4S 3G that it is not even funny.
voip-ninja commented:
September 21, 2012, 4:47 pm

Got my iPhone 5 today also but have not had time yet to set it up in my BMW. I can't wait for LTE to come to AT&T in Denver, they announced it will be here before the end of 2012, which is a good thing because I was close to dumping their sorry asses and going to Verizon.
nyranger74 commented:
September 21, 2012, 6:09 pm

I cannot get my iPhone 5 to work with apps. BT works fine.
boltjaM3s commented:
September 21, 2012, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
I cannot get my iPhone 5 to work with apps. BT works fine.
Delete and reinstall BMW Connected from the App Store, see if a clean install does the trick.

BJ
voip-ninja commented:
September 21, 2012, 7:31 pm

I set mine up in the car and so far everything is working fine. Have not played with apps yet, but the iPod out, BT integration, etc, seems to be working fine.
boltjaM3s commented:
September 21, 2012, 7:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I set mine up in the car and so far everything is working fine. Have not played with apps yet, but the iPod out, BT integration, etc, seems to be working fine.
iPod Out cannot work with your iPhone 5 as you don't have a snap-in adapter.

BJ
voip-ninja commented:
September 22, 2012, 1:52 am

I mean music playback with album artwork and controls. Not "true" ipod out which obviously won't work till a new cradle becomes available sometime in the next year or so.
jtuds commented:
September 22, 2012, 10:44 am

Does anything about the phone itself seem new, different, or better??
Technic commented:
September 22, 2012, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
IMO, the addition of LTE and a much faster processor speeds downloading/uploading data quite substantially over the 4S. The bigger screen, better camera, and better power management (by streamlining circuitry inside, i.e. new Lightning connector) are great to have but not as radical improvements over the 4S as the LTE inclusion.
boltjaM3s commented:
September 22, 2012, 11:41 am

Quote:
It's ridiculously fast compared to the iPhone 4 that most of us are upgrading from.

It's noticeably thinner and lighter. Bigger screen helps, its not a hinderance. I'm very happy with it.

BJ
voip-ninja commented:
September 22, 2012, 12:13 pm

Quote:
Not only is the screen better but it is higher DPI so it's even sharper than the already excellent screen on the 4/4S. The new screen is also better contrast and color accuracy. It's much much faster... incredibly thin and light. All around far better and worth the upgrade if you are not under contract.
jtuds commented:
September 22, 2012, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Not only is the screen better but it is higher DPI so it's even sharper than the already excellent screen on the 4/4S. The new screen is also better contrast and color accuracy. It's much much faster... incredibly thin and light. All around far better and worth the upgrade if you are not under contract.
I preordered mine under contract and unfortunately where I live only have 4G, no LTE yet. But my 3gs was on its last legs but I could deal with it. I didn't really need to upgrade but my wife did big time. Her 3G should have been disposed of ages ago and she's been toughing it out with a dying device for over a year.
voip-ninja commented:
September 22, 2012, 7:15 pm

My wife had the 3GS and the iPhone 5 is a massive upgrade from that phone. Less so from a 4 or 4S but still worthy to do so.
SD330i commented:
September 22, 2012, 11:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
It's ridiculously fast compared to the iPhone 4 that most of us are upgrading from.

It's noticeably thinner and lighter. Bigger screen helps, its not a hinderance. I'm very happy with it.

BJ
Hey BJ and VOIP, got mine last night, as I pre-ordered a week ago. Had to pick it up at FEDEX as I was not home when it was origninally delivered. I immediafely called a friend to start to set it up, then finished at the Verizon in San Diego about 10 minutes from my House. I am coming from a Blackberry Storm 2, which I grew to hate and Detest. It must have froze on Me Daily. Very Embarrasing when using the VZ Navigator with your Sales Manager and he is sitting with his 4 IPhone. I have no prior experience, and I am thrilled. My wife has a 4s , which she got a year ago. It is so user friendly, I am having a ball just setting up Itunes and the App Store. Have not worked it with our BMW , as we have not had our PCD yet. Soon, Soon , Soon Cant wait to use it on our cross country adventure back to San Diego from Spartanburg So , how has it been integrating with your new Babies? Any tips or advice when we set up our Iphone 5 , and my wifes 4s ? Thanks in advance. I am so glad to join the Apple Family !!!! I will soon have a company provided IPAD, so its double the pleasure Soon. Enjoy the rest of your weekends. I am off to see My SD Chargers vs Atlanta Sunday. Season Ticket Holder
328i2013 commented:
September 23, 2012, 2:41 am

Quote:
You had the iPhone 4 till yesterday??? I think most of us are upgrading from iPhone 4S
boltjaM3s commented:
September 23, 2012, 5:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i2013 View Post
You had the iPhone 4 till yesterday??? I think most of us are upgrading from iPhone 4S
Most are on a two-year contract cycle with their carrier, so the upgrade pattern looks like this:

Cycle A: iPhone 3G > 4 > 5

Cycle B: iPhone 3GS > 4S > 5S

It's how it works with AT&T and Verizon in the US. So Apple does a major release every 2 years and a minor release every 1 year, so no matter which of the every-two-years cycle customers are on they always have something new from Apple. I'm an early adopter so I'm on the first cycle, my wife's on the second. My iPhone 5 is fully discounted as my 2 year contract is up, my wife's isn't up for another year.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
September 23, 2012, 5:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD330i View Post

Hey BJ and VOIP, got mine last night, as I pre-ordered a week ago. Had to pick it up at FEDEX as I was not home when it was origninally delivered. I immediafely called a friend to start to set it up, then finished at the Verizon in San Diego about 10 minutes from my House. I am coming from a Blackberry Storm 2, which I grew to hate and Detest. It must have froze on Me Daily. Very Embarrasing when using the VZ Navigator with your Sales Manager and he is sitting with his 4 IPhone. I have no prior experience, and I am thrilled. My wife has a 4s , which she got a year ago. It is so user friendly, I am having a ball just setting up Itunes and the App Store:thumbup Have not worked it with our BMW , as we have not had our PCD yet. Soon, Soon , Soon Cant wait to use it on our cross country adventure back to San Diego from Spartanburg So , how has it been integrating with your new Babies? Any tips or advice when we set up our Iphone 5 , and my wifes 4s ? Thanks in advance. I am so glad to join the Apple Family !!!! I will soon have a company provided IPAD, so its double the pleasure Soon. Enjoy the rest of your weekends.

I am off to see My SD Chargers vs Atlanta Sunday. Season Ticket Holder
Congrats on the iPhone, works flawlessly with the F30, no worries.

I'm not rooting for an AFC win against the NFC, wildcard implications, sorry.

BJ
328i2013 commented:
September 23, 2012, 10:51 am

Quote:
Most are on a two-year contract cycle with their carrier, so the upgrade pattern looks like this:

Cycle A: iPhone 3G > 4 > 5

Cycle B: iPhone 3GS > 4S > 5S

It's how it works with AT&T and Verizon in the US. So Apple does a major release every 2 years and a minor release every 1 year, so no matter which of the every-two-years cycle customers are on they always have something new from Apple. I'm an early adopter so I'm on the first cycle, my wife's on the second. My iPhone 5 is fully discounted as my 2 year contract is up, my wife's isn't up for another year.

BJ
You are funny, drive 50K cars but don't upgrade every year cuz that would cost $250 more? Ha. I've had all 6 iPhones.
boltjaM3s commented:
September 23, 2012, 11:33 am

Quote:
You are funny, drive 50K cars but don't upgrade every year cuz that would cost $250 more? Ha. I've had all 6 iPhones.
Siri and a better camera weren't enough reason to upgrade to the 4S. Not about the money, about the features.

BJ
mikepinkerton commented:
September 23, 2012, 11:54 am

iOS6 moved all podcasts to the Podcast app and out of the music app. How do i get to podcasts now in iDrrive? I haven't tried it yet, has anyone? I don't have BMW apps integration.

-mike
328i2013 commented:
September 23, 2012, 11:56 am

Quote:
Siri and a better camera weren't enough reason to upgrade to the 4S. Not about the money, about the features.

BJ
Biggest BS I've heard from your BJ. If Siri, better camera and faster speed wasn't good enough for you, larger screen and even faster speed shouldn't be incentive either.

But what about your prestige?
boltjaM3s commented:
September 23, 2012, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepinkerton View Post
iOS6 moved all podcasts to the Podcast app and out of the music app. How do i get to podcasts now in iDrrive? I haven't tried it yet, has anyone? I don't have BMW apps integration.

-mike
Try this:

Go into iTunes and create a new Smart Playlist and set the rule to "type equals Podcast". Then sync that Playlist to your iOS device and see if you can get to it via the iDrive playlists menu.

Podcasts are just another type of mp4 file, should be easy to get to in this manner.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
September 23, 2012, 12:35 pm

Quote:
Biggest BS I've heard from your BJ. If Siri, better camera and faster speed wasn't good enough for you, larger screen and even faster speed shouldn't be incentive either.

But what about your prestige?
Apple came out with tweener products with questionable enhancements in the iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, and iPhone 4S. They did not interest me enough to get me to upgrade early.

BJ
Sonic Boom commented:
September 23, 2012, 2:00 pm

Quote:
Instead of thinking he's funny and instead of upgrading your phone why not upgrade your car to a 5 or 7 series?
328i2013 commented:
September 23, 2012, 2:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Instead of thinking he's funny and instead of upgrading your phone why not upgrade your car to a 5 or 7 series?
What a stupid anology.
Sonic Boom commented:
September 23, 2012, 2:42 pm

Quote:
What a stupid anology.
It was never meant to be an analogy. In fact, the real stupidity is your perceived definition of "analogy." LOL
Let's get back to the subject of this thread,,,
bmwf30 commented:
September 24, 2012, 11:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD330i View Post

Hey BJ and VOIP, got mine last night, as I pre-ordered a week ago. Had to pick it up at FEDEX as I was not home when it was origninally delivered. I immediafely called a friend to start to set it up, then finished at the Verizon in San Diego about 10 minutes from my House. I am coming from a Blackberry Storm 2, which I grew to hate and Detest. It must have froze on Me Daily. Very Embarrasing when using the VZ Navigator with your Sales Manager and he is sitting with his 4 IPhone. I have no prior experience, and I am thrilled. My wife has a 4s , which she got a year ago. It is so user friendly, I am having a ball just setting up Itunes and the App Store. Have not worked it with our BMW , as we have not had our PCD yet. Soon, Soon , Soon Cant wait to use it on our cross country adventure back to San Diego from Spartanburg So , how has it been integrating with your new Babies? Any tips or advice when we set up our Iphone 5 , and my wifes 4s ? Thanks in advance. I am so glad to join the Apple Family !!!! I will soon have a company provided IPAD, so its double the pleasure Soon. Enjoy the rest of your weekends. I am off to see My SD Chargers vs Atlanta Sunday. Season Ticket Holder
Hey SD330i, I just picked up my car this past week. You already know that from my delivery thread Anyway, just wanted to chime in on my experience. First off the iPhone 5 integration with BMW is just flawless. There are a few things that you need keep in mind. On your iPhone, make sure you setup notifications to appear on lock screen for text messages. I believe the messages feature is still not working (At least I havent figured it out yet). This is for the text messages to pop up on the screen. Also download the connected drive app and start it before plugging in the phone to ensure 100% connectivity. I have seen where it looses connectivity if its not started prior to connecting the usb. ipod features just work out of the box once setup this way. Office features import your phone book into the car and the Bluetooth integration is dynamic. Meaning if you update a contact. add or delete, the change reflects once you start up the car. BMW + Apple is a good marriage (integration-wise).
Mockingbird commented:
January 13, 2013, 9:38 pm

Quote:
iPod Out cannot work with your iPhone 5 as you don't have a snap-in adapter.

BJ
Has any one tired to connect the 30 pin adapter wire to the snap in and checked to see if video works.
tim330i commented:
January 13, 2013, 9:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
Has any one tired to connect the 30 pin adapter wire to the snap in and checked to see if video works.
It won't work. The iPhone 5 doesn't have analog video output

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=660946
Mockingbird commented:
January 13, 2013, 10:49 pm

Don't know if this is true. Found this on google.

Car Audio to Finally Get iPhone 5 Video Adapter

A Car audio adapter was sadly omitted from Apple's new selection of video adapters for the* iPhone 5, iPad mini and new iPad 4.* Apple is providing adapters for cameras and TVs, but alas, not for car radios and monitors.* But in January, we will see the first such adapter from an aftermarket company.

iPhone 5 uses a new Lightning dock connector with digital audio and video output

iSimple (Aamp of America) will display at the Consumer Electronics Show, an adapter that is able to extract video from the new Apple devices and send it to a car radio or screen, using the composite video format required by most car AV devices.

Scott Rothstein, Senior Product Manager was mum on the details but said the adapter will work with most car radios and car video monitors.

As CEoutlook readers know, with the iPhone 5 and newest iPads, Apple switched the video output to digital from analog, creating the need for special adapters to work with many existing products.

iSimple is the first company to claim it will offer a composite video solution for car audio equipment. We'll have to wait until CES for more details.
SamS commented:
January 14, 2013, 7:34 am

^^ that ain't gonna help you with the loss of the iPhone5's Video Out for the car's Nav system.
http://www.ceoutlook.com/2013/01/09/...ar-due-summer/
KLC commented:
January 14, 2013, 7:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
^^ that ain't gonna help you with the loss of the iPhone5's Video Out for the car's Nav system.
http://www.ceoutlook.com/2013/01/09/...ar-due-summer/
There is no reason an adapter couldn't be made. They removed analog video out, but there is still a digital signal. An adapter would just have to covert that to what most car systems expect.
SamS commented:
January 14, 2013, 8:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
There is no reason an adapter couldn't be made. They removed analog video out, but there is still a digital signal. An adapter would just have to covert that to what most car systems expect.
I'm not saying that no one will be able to make an adapter, just that that linked product won't work for the application we're discussing.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 14, 2013, 8:45 am

Quote:
I'm not saying that no one will be able to make an adapter, just that that linked product won't work for the application we're discussing.
Exactly.

Apple has killed the iPod Out and Video Out functionality from the iPhone 5 via a Lightning adapter. Doesn't mean that the next gen BMW snap-in adapter won't support it, might come back.

BJ
Mockingbird commented:
January 14, 2013, 1:18 pm

Quote:
Exactly.

Apple has killed the iPod Out and Video Out functionality from the iPhone 5 via a Lightning adapter. Doesn't mean that the next gen BMW snap-in adapter won't support it, might come back.

BJ
I hope they come with some thing soon.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 14, 2013, 3:05 pm

Quote:
I hope they come with some thing soon.
Can I ask you why?

iPod Out has more negatives than positives and Video Out only works when the car isn't moving.

The white Apple USB cord works better and is free.

BJ
Mockingbird commented:
January 14, 2013, 3:59 pm

Quote:
Can I ask you why?

iPod Out has more negatives than positives and Video Out only works when the car isn't moving.

The white Apple USB cord works better and is free.

BJ
It's just a feature that's available to you but you can't use it.
It's like show an ice-cream to a kid and then don't give it to him.
In short you can live without. ) but good to have it.
KLC commented:
January 14, 2013, 6:23 pm

If you really want to use video out, put an Apple TV in your center console. Run power to it from an inverter. Plug the hdmi out into a onkyo receiver. Plug the composite out from the receiver into your car. AirPlay video from your phone to the Apple TV. Boom problem solved.
SamS commented:
January 14, 2013, 6:25 pm

Quote:
If you really want to use video out, put an Apple TV in your center console. Run power to it from an inverter. Plug the hdmi out into a onkyo receiver. Plug the composite out from the receiver into your car. AirPlay video from your phone to the Apple TV. Boom problem solved.
You are misunderstanding the feature "iPod out", and how it is related to integration with BMW's iDrive system.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/13/ios...hird-party-ui/
KLC commented:
January 14, 2013, 6:28 pm

Quote:
You are misunderstanding the feature "iPod out", and how it is related to integration with BMW's iDrive system.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/13/ios...hird-party-ui/
Nope. I'm not.
SamS commented:
January 14, 2013, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Nope. I'm not.
Then you just provided a solution to a question that no one asked.
KLC commented:
January 14, 2013, 6:31 pm

Quote:
Then you just provided a solution to a question that no one asked.
I don't think I provided an answer.
SamS commented:
January 14, 2013, 6:35 pm

Quote:
I don't think I provided an answer.
If the below message isn't an "answer" to something, maybe I misunderstand internet message forums.

Quote:
KLC commented:
January 14, 2013, 6:38 pm

Quote:
If the below message isn't an "answer" to something, maybe I misunderstand internet message forums.
If you read that and honestly thought I was suggesting someone do that, then you must be boring at dinner parties. If you thought I was joking, but wanted to point out how that actually wouldn't work, you must be annoying at dinner parties.
SamS commented:
January 14, 2013, 6:39 pm

Quote:
If you read that and honestly thought I was suggesting someone do that, then you must be boring at dinner parties. If you thought I was joking, but wanted to point out how that actually wouldn't work, you must be annoying at dinner parties.
What time can you be over for dinner tonight? We're having ravioli.
KLC commented:
January 14, 2013, 6:40 pm

Quote:
What time can you be over for dinner tonight? We're having ravioli.
What's in the ravioli?
SamS commented:
January 14, 2013, 6:43 pm

Quote:
What's in the ravioli?
Ricotta, tomatoes and turkey sausage.
KLC commented:
January 14, 2013, 6:43 pm

I'll bring the drinks.
SamS commented:
January 14, 2013, 7:09 pm

Quote:
I'll bring the drinks.
Perfect, we'll talk over your ED route
Kar Don commented:
January 14, 2013, 8:57 pm

Crickets...
mikepinkerton commented:
January 19, 2013, 9:39 am

What.....just.....happened.....here?
KLC commented:
January 19, 2013, 9:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepinkerton View Post
What.....just.....happened.....here?
You missed one hell of a dinner party. You should see my AMEX bill.
inChargeOfIT commented:
January 21, 2013, 11:35 pm

I have to leave my iPhone unlocked and with the connected drive app up front and running in order to get the integration. The same for Pandora.. it's one or the other, but not both. A little annoying, but not too bad.
Mockingbird commented:
January 26, 2013, 7:51 am

The problem is with iPhone. The way the Apps works is you can have your apps running but when you get a call and you talk for more than the time set to lock your phone it will lock. Then you have to unlock your phone to re start the app if you never use lock feature then after your call the app should restart.
SamS commented:
January 26, 2013, 8:25 am

When I'm playing music from my iPhone 5 via USB connection, I'm unable to force other audio (i.e. internet radio apps) from my phone to play through the car stereo. I can launch for example the Live365 app, and it will start streaming for about 1 second, then the normal iPod music on my phone overrides and starts to play.

This was not the behavior when I used the Media cradle + iPhone 4 on my 2012 M3 with Nav.

Does anyone know of a workaround that will let me keep my phone connected via USB?
Mockingbird commented:
January 26, 2013, 10:48 am

Check if your Bluetooth audio is disabled and try I have notice my Bluetooth audio will take over all the time. After I finish a call my audio from iPod will start on its own.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 26, 2013, 11:33 am

Quote:
When I'm playing music from my iPhone 5 via USB connection, I'm unable to force other audio (i.e. internet radio apps) from my phone to play through the car stereo. I can launch for example the Live365 app, and it will start streaming for about 1 second, then the normal iPod music on my phone overrides and starts to play.

This was not the behavior when I used the Media cradle + iPhone 4 on my 2012 M3 with Nav.

Does anyone know of a workaround that will let me keep my phone connected via USB?
When your iPhone is plugged into USB, iDrive assumes you don't want to stream. There is no workaround for this. When you are plugged in via USB, you cannot stream over Bluetooth. Certain apps, like Pandora, allow you to listen to music via the USB connection and not via Bluetooth wireless. Check your individual apps for settings that allow you to toggle between the two.

In general, docking your iPhone to USB is inconvenient in a BMW. The workaround that many of us use is to buy a beater iPod touch and keep that in the armrest all the time. This way, your iPhone can connect over Bluetooth for phone, text, and streaming while your iPod has your MP3's ready to go. An iPod touch can sync to iTunes over Wi-Fi, so you don't even need to bring the iPod into the house to get new content on it or update playlists.

BJ
SamS commented:
January 26, 2013, 1:24 pm

Bluetooth for audio is not enabled. That is not the problem. It's an Apple thing.. it wants to force override other music output when you get the Accessory Connected interface.
Technic commented:
January 26, 2013, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Bluetooth for audio is not enabled. That is not the problem. It's an Apple thing.. it wants to force override other music output when you get the Accessory Connected interface.
I just tried an iPhone 5 and a 4S in my M3, and not only any audio app audio (outside BMW Apps) from the iPhone plays via USB but if the app has compatible metadata it will show in the iDrive screen (Album Art, album/artist/station).

I think that your issue is your new 4.2 iDrive/Combox setup. Something must have changed in the way the enhanced USB is implemented with the iPod/iPhone that it does not allow any other audio to pipe thru besides the BMW Apps-approved. Or it is simply a bug at the new Combox section.

Which would not surprise me as I found this "feature" buggy because of the same reason above... audio will pass thru but also metadata. But the metadata will pass only once and will stay there regardless of new metadata, app or display at the iPhone. That happens when Pandora is played in a non-BMW apps USB as well.

I would guess that BMW simply eliminated that with the new iDrive USB... with the audio as well.
Sonic Boom commented:
January 26, 2013, 2:27 pm

Quote:
,,,The workaround that many of us use is to buy a beater iPod touch and keep that in the armrest all the time. This way, your iPhone can connect over Bluetooth for phone, text, and streaming while your iPod has your MP3's ready to go. ,,,
BJ
This is what I do. However, when I access BMW Apps (via cradle) I get an error if the iPod USB is simultaneously plugged in. I have to unplug the iPod for BMW Apps to stream. A bit of a hassle but live with it.
SamS commented:
January 26, 2013, 2:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I just tried an iPhone 5 and a 4S in my M3, and not only any audio app audio (outside BMW Apps) from the iPhone plays via USB but if the app has compatible metadata it will show in the iDrive screen (Album Art, album/artist/station).

I think that your issue is your new 4.2 iDrive/Combox setup. Something must have changed in the way the enhanced USB is implemented with the iPod/iPhone that it does not allow any other audio to pipe thru besides the BMW Apps-approved. Or it is simply a bug at the new Combox section.

Which would not surprise me as I found this "feature" buggy because of the same reason above... audio will pass thru but also metadata. But the metadata will pass only once and will stay there regardless of new metadata, app or display at the iPhone. That happens when Pandora is played in a non-BMW apps USB as well.

I would guess that BMW simply eliminated that with the new iDrive USB... with the audio as well.

Thanks for checking. Like you, I had no problems doing this in my M3. However, I was always using the cradle interface, but could still override and push audio to the system. And, it even showed metadata for other audio apps.

But this is not a BMW problem. I found some other forums for Spotify where users of Jeeps, etc., run into this problem. Anytime the phone recognizes "Accessory Connected", the phone wants to override with iTunes, instead of Spotify, etc.

Can you check to see if when you're playing iTunes music off an iPhone, does the phone lock you out with Accessory Connected? Or can you still select tracks via the phone, not just the iDrive?

I also just tried the "switch USB plugs" in the center console plan. From the normal USB back connector to swap with the cradle connector. I got to the USB/AUX connectors OK, but couldn't remove the cradle base plate from the center console without fear of breaking it. I felt around below the base plate, and I'm not even sure if that connector type to the cradle is the same as what connects to the USB. The back of the USB port connects via a white circular port. That's not what the connection to the underside of the cradle felt like. It seemed more like a flat pin connection.
SamS commented:
January 28, 2013, 8:05 pm

I did find a solution to my iPhone-iPod-music-overriding-streaming-streaming-services-while-connected-to-USB problem

There may be other/simpler ways, but this seems to work:

1) Launch Pandora (or could be Mog, or other BMW Apps app) BEFORE you start iPhone/iPod playback
2) Start playback of Pandora via ConnectedDrive/BMW Apps.
3) Press Home button on iPhone, launch your streaming app.

The car still seems to think it's in the ConnectedDrive audio menu, as evidenced by the Entertainment details screen. You can now consistently play back any other audio service via your iPhone without the iPod audio overriding what you're doing. Good times! The only drawback so far is lack of ability to skip tracks via the steering wheel. That is OK in my situation, as I have the iPhone docked just ahead of my iDrive knob, so I can change tracks or navigate while stopped.

This is actually better than what I had in my M3 + cradle. When the iPhone is docked in the cradle, it was really impossible to launch an app, change a Live365 preset, etc.
ufsteez commented:
January 30, 2013, 9:53 am

Quote:
When your iPhone is plugged into USB, iDrive assumes you don't want to stream. There is no workaround for this. When you are plugged in via USB, you cannot stream over Bluetooth. Certain apps, like Pandora, allow you to listen to music via the USB connection and not via Bluetooth wireless. Check your individual apps for settings that allow you to toggle between the two.

In general, docking your iPhone to USB is inconvenient in a BMW. The workaround that many of us use is to buy a beater iPod touch and keep that in the armrest all the time. This way, your iPhone can connect over Bluetooth for phone, text, and streaming while your iPod has your MP3's ready to go. An iPod touch can sync to iTunes over Wi-Fi, so you don't even need to bring the iPod into the house to get new content on it or update playlists.

BJ
My 335i M-sport is coming in next week and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the nuances of using the USB vs the bluetooth. If you use an iPod Touch in the armrest while your iPhone is connected via bluetooth, does that limit the BMW apps you can use because most of them don't work through bluetooth and the iPod Touch doesn't have a cellular connection? Said another way, do you lose certain functionality but gain the convenience of not having to plug your phone in everytime? Just trying to figure out exactly how I want to set everything up. Thanks for all of the help.
SamS commented:
January 30, 2013, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufsteez View Post
My 335i M-sport is coming in next week and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the nuances of using the USB vs the bluetooth. If you use an iPod Touch in the armrest while your iPhone is connected via bluetooth, does that limit the BMW apps you can use because most of them don't work through bluetooth and the iPod Touch doesn't have a cellular connection? Said another way, do you lose certain functionality but gain the convenience of not having to plug your phone in everytime? Just trying to figure out exactly how I want to set everything up. Thanks for all of the help.
Use USB instead of BT. You'll gain charging, added functionality, as well as superior sound quality.
ufsteez commented:
January 30, 2013, 11:19 am

Quote:
Use USB instead of BT. You'll gain charging, added functionality, as well as superior sound quality.
Thanks for responding Sam. Apologies if I wasn't very clear, but I definitely plan on using the USB for music and did so when I test-drove the car, however, I'm trying to understand what functionality I would lose with the apps if using an iPod Touch hooked up through the center console and a my iPhone connected via bluetooth, since some have suggested this is the best solution.
SamS commented:
January 30, 2013, 11:41 am

Quote:
Thanks for responding Sam. Apologies if I wasn't very clear, but I definitely plan on using the USB for music and did so when I test-drove the car, however, I'm trying to understand what functionality I would lose with the apps if using an iPod Touch hooked up through the center console and a my iPhone connected via bluetooth, since some have suggested this is the best solution.
If you're using Bluetooth connection for your iPhone you will get zero functionality from any of the "BMW Apps". That means no integration for Pandora (thumbs up/down/skip), no FB/Twitter/WikiLocal/etc.

The best method, with zero consequences, is to connect an iPhone via USB. Use BT for phone/text, of course.
tim330i commented:
April 4, 2013, 12:34 pm

Bad news for those waiting on the iPhone 5 snap-in adapter. It has been pushed back to Q3 2013 -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=687428

Tim
Bimmermeupscoty commented:
April 4, 2013, 1:35 pm

Quote:
I use my iPhone 5 for calls and emails/texts only. I connect an iTouch 4 to the USB in the console and use it t access my itunes library, BMW Apps, Pandora, Stitcher and my Calendar. I do not use bluetooth for audio in this configuration, which in fact is disabled by the car whe you use the USB connection. If you connect your iPhone to USB, I believe that you lose the ability to receive emails and texts over iDrive.
Mockingbird commented:
April 4, 2013, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmermeupscoty View Post
I use my iPhone 5 for calls and emails/texts only. I connect an iTouch 4 to the USB in the console and use it t access my itunes library, BMW Apps, Pandora, Stitcher and my Calendar. I do not use bluetooth for audio in this configuration, which in fact is disabled by the car whe you use the USB connection. If you connect your iPhone to USB, I believe that you lose the ability to receive emails and texts over iDrive.
I don't think so you lose the ability to receive text and email. I have my phone connected to the USB and still receive the txt. I have not been able to get emails on the iDrive don't know what I am doing wrong. But for sure it does not disable the Bluetooth feature completely.
April 4, 2013, 1:56 pm

Quote:
I don't think so you lose the ability to receive text and email. I have my phone connected to the USB and still receive the txt. I have not been able to get emails on the iDrive don't know what I am doing wrong. But for sure it does not disable the Bluetooth feature completely.
Bluetooth Audio is disabled, but I know that bluetooth altogether is not disabled, as you can still make calls using the car's interface.

I suspect texts come across the USB in some manner because of the Apple message app. While I am among several on this board who have gotten emails to work over bluetooth, I do not think anyone has succeeded in getting emails throught the USB connection.
kpgray commented:
May 2, 2013, 8:52 pm

Time to move back up to the top...I picked up my new iPhone 5, uploaded the BMW Connect App and my Calender is not connected. The iPhone shows the Calender is not accessible, what do I do? I have removed the App and reloaded, but no avail

Do I have to do something on the iPhone or the car to make it work?

Attachment 374470
boltjaM3s commented:
May 2, 2013, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Time to move back up to the top...I picked up my new iPhone 5, uploaded the BMW Connect App and my Calender is not connected. The iPhone shows the Calender is not accessible, what do I do? I have removed the App and reloaded, but no avail

First off, does Text messaging and Email messaging work for you in iDrive (not any app)?

BJ
shag commented:
May 2, 2013, 9:52 pm

Has anyone had some experience with the new NBT iDrive (the one in the AH3 and F31)? Is the iDevice integration any better?
May 2, 2013, 11:02 pm

Quote:

Attachment 374470
I am confused. I assume you can read the calendar on your Iphone independant of iDrive. If so, you need to check you iDrive configuration. Somewhere in settings for Bluetooth or phone there is a check box for Office. Make sure it is checked.
boltjaM3s commented:
May 3, 2013, 12:47 am

Quote:

Quote:
I am confused. I assume you can read the calendar on your Iphone independant of iDrive. If so, you need to check you iDrive configuration. Somewhere in settings for Bluetooth or phone there is a check box for Office. Make sure it is checked.
I just gotta step in here fellas, save you some time and effort.

iDrive is lousy for displaying texts, email, and calendar. It's not worth it. First off, it only reads what's sent, it can't reply. The information is buried in menu's and submenu's so it takes forever to bring it up. Once an email is on screen, you hit a button to have it read to you. But it truncates after a few lines of text, making it worthless for a medium or large email. I can't say anything positive about it at all. It is straight out of 1995, its more distracting than just picking up the iPhone.

....but there is good news....

Just use Siri which is already integrated in the car. By just pressing and holding the Home button, she comes alive over the iDrive speaker/microphone system. "What's my calendar look like today?" You ask. "You have four appointments, the first one is with Acme Enterprises at 9 AM." She replies. "Would you like me to read the rest?" Siri can read and respond to texts, compose and send email, give you sports scores, stock quotes, contact information, make appointments, play a Playlist, give movie times, find a restaurant, it goes on and on. When done, hit the phone button on the steering wheel and back to the music you go.

If half the people in this forum focused on Siri proficiency, no one would need to bother with the iDrive version which is practically useless and amazingly frustrating. "Did I get that right, Siri?" "Yes BJ, you did."

BJ
May 3, 2013, 11:18 am

Yes, email integration into iDrive could be much better, but it is not worthless to me. The ability to see if an important email has come in without having to constantly check my iPhone while driving is a huge plus for me. A little envelope shows up on the iDrive screen to tell me somethig has come in, and I have button 8 set up to take me straight to the inboxes, so it is easy to check what emails have arrived.

I do not really expect to interact with emails via the car very much. If I see an email of import, I can take appropriate action (e.g., call somebody, pull of to respond).

I have found that even though the text of the emails are truncated, the voice readout will read the entire email. She sometimes takes long awkward pauses that I find myself thinking that she has finished, but she picks back up and reads the rest fo the email.

I also find being able to check my Calendar helpful, again only to remind me of something I am doing today, not to schedule additional meetings, calls, etc.
sr5959 commented:
May 3, 2013, 1:49 pm

Quote:
I just gotta step in here fellas, save you some time and effort.

iDrive is lousy for displaying texts, email, and calendar. It's not worth it. First off, it only reads what's sent, it can't reply. The information is buried in menu's and submenu's so it takes forever to bring it up. Once an email is on screen, you hit a button to have it read to you. But it truncates after a few lines of text, making it worthless for a medium or large email. I can't say anything positive about it at all. It is straight out of 1995, its more distracting than just picking up the iPhone.

....but there is good news....

Just use Siri which is already integrated in the car. By just pressing and holding the Home button, she comes alive over the iDrive speaker/microphone system. "What's my calendar look like today?" You ask. "You have four appointments, the first one is with Acme Enterprises at 9 AM." She replies. "Would you like me to read the rest?" Siri can read and respond to texts, compose and send email, give you sports scores, stock quotes, contact information, make appointments, play a Playlist, give movie times, find a restaurant, it goes on and on. When done, hit the phone button on the steering wheel and back to the music you go.

If half the people in this forum focused on Siri proficiency, no one would need to bother with the iDrive version which is practically useless and amazingly frustrating. "Did I get that right, Siri?" "Yes BJ, you did."

BJ
BJ, is Siri better on iPhone 5 than on 4s? I still have the 4s but it is very poor in terms of voice recognition especially when in the car so just wondering as you are a big fan of it. Thanks.
boltjaM3s commented:
May 3, 2013, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
BJ, is Siri better on iPhone 5 than on 4s? I still have the 4s but it is very poor in terms of voice recognition especially when in the car so just wondering as you are a big fan of it. Thanks.
Siri engages over the iDrive speakers and microphone, so it can hear my voice very clearly.

Also, Siri takes your voice, makes it a file, and ups it to a server in order to do the translation and execute the action. Where I live I get AT&T 4G LTE so Siri thrives in that environment. If you have a weak data connection your experience would be different.

BJ
sr5959 commented:
May 3, 2013, 4:34 pm

Quote:
Siri engages over the iDrive speakers and microphone, so it can hear my voice very clearly.

Also, Siri takes your voice, makes it a file, and ups it to a server in order to do the translation and execute the action. Where I live I get AT&T 4G LTE so Siri thrives in that environment. If you have a weak data connection your experience would be different.

BJ
Interesting I didn't know that. I believe the 4s is not true 4G as the iPhone 5 is so maybe some issue there.
eclampsium commented:
May 5, 2013, 9:52 pm

does anybody knows if, when the iphone5 is connected trough usb it wii access the car antenna, just like an iphone4s when docked in the cradle! is this the advantage off the craddle or is there any thing else that only the cradle enables?

thanks
May 5, 2013, 10:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclampsium View Post
does anybody knows if, when the iphone5 is connected trough usb it wii access the car antenna, just like an iphone4s when docked in the cradle! is this the advantage off the craddle or is there any thing else that only the cradle enables?

thanks
Only the cradle gets you the outside antenna.
glennQNYC commented:
June 3, 2013, 3:11 pm

Quote:
Only the cradle gets you the outside antenna.
I agree that BMW states that the cradle enables the phone to connect to the vehicles antenna for better reception, but I didnít think iPhones had this capability? Iím skeptical.
eclampsium commented:
June 3, 2013, 4:25 pm

Strange... I thought the iphone was already accessing the antenna becouse it's so good on the signal even inside my garage... Maybe it's becouse my 3gs didn't use to reach good signal there and the i5 reaches... Bit sad... I didn't want the cradle, as it will make me need to remove the iphone from it's daily protective case everytime and will make me forget him inside the car wen i leave it... The cable i just put it in front off the gear knob with the key so that i don't forget it when i leave the car...! Dam...
I think i'm just gonna trow an ipod there inside...
sr5959 commented:
June 3, 2013, 4:41 pm

Quote:
Strange... I thought the iphone was already accessing the antenna becouse it's so good on the signal even inside my garage... Maybe it's becouse my 3gs didn't use to reach good signal there and the i5 reaches... Bit sad... I didn't want the cradle, as it will make me need to remove the iphone from it's daily protective case everytime and will make me forget him inside the car wen i leave it... The cable i just put it in front off the gear knob with the key so that i don't forget it when i leave the car...! Dam...
I think i'm just gonna trow an ipod there inside...
I have a 4s and the cradle; cannot notice any improvement in signal whatsoever when I have it docked. In addition the iPhone gets really hot when in the cradle which can't be good for it. I now use it only for charging which is quite rare anyway as the iPhone has pretty good battery life.
eclampsium commented:
June 4, 2013, 8:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
I have a 4s and the cradle; cannot notice any improvement in signal whatsoever when I have it docked. In addition the iPhone gets really hot when in the cradle which can't be good for it. I now use it only for charging which is quite rare anyway as the iPhone has pretty good battery life.

I'm starting to think that the cradle is not much worthy... Other thing that i hate most in bmw is that it doesn't support music over bluetooth (unless you buy the optional BT package). Why didn't they have trow this very very very very simple feature that many other "cheapo" cars have by default! If it already has the BT radio antenna inside formvoice and call protocols, why they charge so much for a litle feature that requires only sftware to be enabled? I would have bought that ifmit at least where availlable here in Brazil... When will they learn that this very simple things should bemdefault in theyre cars and that they should differentiate a superior line from an inferior by putting other important things inside, not remooving simple items and features! Is not to offer less, is to offer more when necessary!!! Argh...

Another letdown is the fact it only works with "Apple" factory cable... Correct me please but, does Apple sells a "black" cable? Preference for a longer one? I shurely don't like that white cable o er the console... It caught so much attention and it doesn't pair well with the car interior colour (sport trim with black leather)...
Avpilot commented:
June 4, 2013, 11:49 pm

Quote:
I'm starting to think that the cradle is not much worthy... Other thing that i hate most in bmw is that it doesn't support music over bluetooth (unless you buy the optional BT package). Why didn't they have trow this very very very very simple feature that many other "cheapo" cars have by default! If it already has the BT radio antenna inside formvoice and call protocols, why they charge so much for a litle feature that requires only sftware to be enabled? I would have bought that ifmit at least where availlable here in Brazil... When will they learn that this very simple things should bemdefault in theyre cars and that they should differentiate a superior line from an inferior by putting other important things inside, not remooving simple items and features! Is not to offer less, is to offer more when necessary!!! Argh...

Another letdown is the fact it only works with "Apple" factory cable... Correct me please but, does Apple sells a "black" cable? Preference for a longer one? I shurely don't like that white cable o er the console... It caught so much attention and it doesn't pair well with the car interior colour (sport trim with black leather)...
The AH3 does music via bluetooth. Could this be a NBT Nav difference?

Also, I use an aftermarket black lightning cable. It works fine.

Tim
Technic commented:
June 5, 2013, 5:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avpilot View Post
The AH3 does music via bluetooth. Could this be a NBT Nav difference?

Also, I use an aftermarket black lightning cable. It works fine.

Tim
The Combox handles A2DP. In the current CIC iDrive (2009-on) the Combox is an optional external module. The NBT iDrive has the Combox built-in.
eclampsium commented:
June 5, 2013, 11:00 pm

Under the configuration menu it has 3 symbols, the last is the music symbol and it's grayed out, so, unavaillable, despite the phone calling works fine...
Please enlight me more of these modules... Is there a fix for my case?
Jlarrea commented:
October 12, 2013, 6:28 pm

Any update on the snap-in adapter? I've read that it's available. Any reviews?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
chuchungus commented:
October 12, 2013, 8:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarrea View Post
Any update on the snap-in adapter? I've read that it's available. Any reviews?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I heard that as well today at my BMW Owner's Clinic at the dealer. The gent said it would be around $150?
eclampsium commented:
October 12, 2013, 11:44 pm

I've let a cable inside my car so when i want to connect it... it's there. Not shure how much eill the snap in add for me... But in my everyday use i make short distances, so it's not coole keep remooving the phone from my pocket and connecting it on the car and then disconnecting and putting back in my pocket... Not to mention it wouldn't be compatible with any phone cases i think... I just keep thiking Why the F* BMW didn't made adp for music too as a standart and not only calls! Every single cheap car and radio has it today! It's rediculous!
jaapvandervaard commented:
December 30, 2013, 9:12 am

Perhaps this is a good solution
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1736165...e-bmw-docking?
By making use of a lightning to 30 pin adapter the iPhone 5 can work with the BMW system
eclampsium commented:
December 30, 2013, 10:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapvandervaard View Post
Perhaps this is a good solution
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1736165...e-bmw-docking?
By making use of a lightning to 30 pin adapter the iPhone 5 can work with the BMW system
Well, that looks cool... but will not make me forgie BMW os the wrong direction they took by not implementing full BT music adp support on ALL the 3 series range.
At least with sucha adaptor you dont have to open the arm rest to put it there, but you still fixed to the "remoove from pocket, put it in your pocket again"routine...