BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
71K views 93 replies 27 participants last post by  eclampsium 
#1 · (Edited)
iPhone 5 BMW F30 3 series integration

For the last week we've been testing our iPhone 5 with the Bimmerfest project 328i F30 3 series. We're pleased to report that everything is working as it should. Before jumping into our iPhone 5 testing we spent time with our iPhone 4 and the newly released iOS 6 (read article). With the faster speed of the A6 processor in the new phone pairing it to the F30 with Bluetooth or the USB cable for BMW ConnectedDrive seems a bit faster.

BMW snap-in Adapter

The big disappointment with the iPhone 5 in the F30 is the incompatible snap in adapter. The iPhone 5 is about half an inch longer then the 4/4S and uses the new Apple "lighting" connector. As you can see there is no way the old snap in adapter would work, even with an Lighting connection adapter. BMW has been quite about when we will see an iPhone 5 compatible snap in adapter. Tear downs of the Lighting cable show that Apple has embedded an authentication chip in the connector so BMW is probably in the process of licensing the technology from Apple.

BMW ConnectedDrive with the Apple iPhone 5

Overall the new features of the iPhone 5, which come from iOS6, are a great addition. Having the car read you text messages or emails is a neat feature. The integration is still a little clunky but it is much safer then using your phone while driving. I have a feeling there will be an upgrade for the car software from BMW in the next few months that will make the integration better as they continue to test with the iPhone 5.

Stay tuned for more iPhone 5 testing and updates for the BMW F30 3 series.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is BMW's statement on iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Compatibility?
BMW says "It is expected that all app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one***8217;s song library using the BMW and MINI controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps and MINI Connected to replicate the look of the iPhone interface will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed."

When will BMW release the iPhone 5 Snap In Adapter?
BMW has not committed to a specific date yet but has been busy testing iOS 6. BMW tends to move slowly on this type of thing so do not expect it anytime soon. I'm thinking spring of 2014

If you're running iOS 6 on the iPhone 4 or 4S add to our iOS6 topic.

Attachments

See less See more
1 5
#3 ·
Got my iPhone 5 today also but have not had time yet to set it up in my BMW. I can't wait for LTE to come to AT&T in Denver, they announced it will be here before the end of 2012, which is a good thing because I was close to dumping their sorry asses and going to Verizon.

#10 ·
IMO, the addition of LTE and a much faster processor speeds downloading/uploading data quite substantially over the 4S. The bigger screen, better camera, and better power management (by streamlining circuitry inside, i.e. new Lightning connector) are great to have but not as radical improvements over the 4S as the LTE inclusion.

#23 ·
Try this:

Go into iTunes and create a new Smart Playlist and set the rule to "type equals Podcast". Then sync that Playlist to your iOS device and see if you can get to it via the iDrive playlists menu.

Podcasts are just another type of mp4 file, should be easy to get to in this manner.

BJ

#31 ·
Don't know if this is true. Found this on google.

Car Audio to Finally Get iPhone 5 Video Adapter

A Car audio adapter was sadly omitted from Apple***8217;s new selection of video adapters for the* iPhone 5, iPad mini and new iPad 4.* Apple is providing adapters for cameras and TVs, but alas, not for car radios and monitors.* But in January, we will see the first such adapter from an aftermarket company.

iPhone 5 uses a new Lightning dock connector with digital audio and video output

iSimple (Aamp of America) will display at the Consumer Electronics Show, an adapter that is able to extract video from the new Apple devices and send it to a car radio or screen, using the composite video format required by most car AV devices.

Scott Rothstein, Senior Product Manager was mum on the details but said the adapter will work with most car radios and car video monitors.

As CEoutlook readers know, with the iPhone 5 and newest iPads, Apple switched the video output to digital from analog, creating the need for special adapters to work with many existing products.

iSimple is the first company to claim it will offer a composite video solution for car audio equipment. We***8217;ll have to wait until CES for more details.

#33 ·
There is no reason an adapter couldn't be made. They removed analog video out, but there is still a digital signal. An adapter would just have to covert that to what most car systems expect.

#39 ·
If you really want to use video out, put an Apple TV in your center console. Run power to it from an inverter. Plug the hdmi out into a onkyo receiver. Plug the composite out from the receiver into your car. AirPlay video from your phone to the Apple TV. Boom problem solved.

#55 ·
The problem is with iPhone. The way the Apps works is you can have your apps running but when you get a call and you talk for more than the time set to lock your phone it will lock. Then you have to unlock your phone to re start the app if you never use lock feature then after your call the app should restart.

#56 ·
When I'm playing music from my iPhone 5 via USB connection, I'm unable to force other audio (i.e. internet radio apps) from my phone to play through the car stereo. I can launch for example the Live365 app, and it will start streaming for about 1 second, then the normal iPod music on my phone overrides and starts to play.

This was not the behavior when I used the Media cradle + iPhone 4 on my 2012 M3 with Nav.

Does anyone know of a workaround that will let me keep my phone connected via USB?

#58 · (Edited)
When I'm playing music from my iPhone 5 via USB connection, I'm unable to force other audio (i.e. internet radio apps) from my phone to play through the car stereo. I can launch for example the Live365 app, and it will start streaming for about 1 second, then the normal iPod music on my phone overrides and starts to play.

This was not the behavior when I used the Media cradle + iPhone 4 on my 2012 M3 with Nav.

Does anyone know of a workaround that will let me keep my phone connected via USB?
When your iPhone is plugged into USB, iDrive assumes you don't want to stream. There is no workaround for this. When you are plugged in via USB, you cannot stream over Bluetooth. Certain apps, like Pandora, allow you to listen to music via the USB connection and not via Bluetooth wireless. Check your individual apps for settings that allow you to toggle between the two.

In general, docking your iPhone to USB is inconvenient in a BMW. The workaround that many of us use is to buy a beater iPod touch and keep that in the armrest all the time. This way, your iPhone can connect over Bluetooth for phone, text, and streaming while your iPod has your MP3's ready to go. An iPod touch can sync to iTunes over Wi-Fi, so you don't even need to bring the iPod into the house to get new content on it or update playlists.

BJ

#60 · (Edited)
I just tried an iPhone 5 and a 4S in my M3, and not only any audio app audio (outside BMW Apps) from the iPhone plays via USB but if the app has compatible metadata it will show in the iDrive screen (Album Art, album/artist/station).

I think that your issue is your new 4.2 iDrive/Combox setup. Something must have changed in the way the enhanced USB is implemented with the iPod/iPhone that it does not allow any other audio to pipe thru besides the BMW Apps-approved. Or it is simply a bug at the new Combox section.

Which would not surprise me as I found this "feature" buggy because of the same reason above... audio will pass thru but also metadata. But the metadata will pass only once and will stay there regardless of new metadata, app or display at the iPhone. That happens when Pandora is played in a non-BMW apps USB as well.

I would guess that BMW simply eliminated that with the new iDrive USB... with the audio as well.

#63 ·
I did find a solution to my iPhone-iPod-music-overriding-streaming-streaming-services-while-connected-to-USB problem :)

There may be other/simpler ways, but this seems to work:

1) Launch Pandora (or could be Mog, or other BMW Apps app) BEFORE you start iPhone/iPod playback
2) Start playback of Pandora via ConnectedDrive/BMW Apps.
3) Press Home button on iPhone, launch your streaming app.

The car still seems to think it's in the ConnectedDrive audio menu, as evidenced by the Entertainment details screen. You can now consistently play back any other audio service via your iPhone without the iPod audio overriding what you're doing. Good times! The only drawback so far is lack of ability to skip tracks via the steering wheel. That is OK in my situation, as I have the iPhone docked just ahead of my iDrive knob, so I can change tracks or navigate while stopped.

This is actually better than what I had in my M3 + cradle. When the iPhone is docked in the cradle, it was really impossible to launch an app, change a Live365 preset, etc.

#72 ·
Time to move back up to the top...I picked up my new iPhone 5, uploaded the BMW Connect App and my Calender is not connected. The iPhone shows the Calender is not accessible, what do I do? I have removed the App and reloaded, but no avail :bawling:

Do I have to do something on the iPhone or the car to make it work? :dunno:

Gadget Portable communications device Mobile phone Communication Device Smartphone

#73 ·
Time to move back up to the top...I picked up my new iPhone 5, uploaded the BMW Connect App and my Calender is not connected. The iPhone shows the Calender is not accessible, what do I do? I have removed the App and reloaded, but no avail :bawling:

Do I have to do something on the iPhone or the car to make it work?
First off, does Text messaging and Email messaging work for you in iDrive (not any app)?

BJ

#77 ·
Yes, email integration into iDrive could be much better, but it is not worthless to me. The ability to see if an important email has come in without having to constantly check my iPhone while driving is a huge plus for me. A little envelope shows up on the iDrive screen to tell me somethig has come in, and I have button 8 set up to take me straight to the inboxes, so it is easy to check what emails have arrived.

I do not really expect to interact with emails via the car very much. If I see an email of import, I can take appropriate action (e.g., call somebody, pull of to respond).

I have found that even though the text of the emails are truncated, the voice readout will read the entire email. She sometimes takes long awkward pauses that I find myself thinking that she has finished, but she picks back up and reads the rest fo the email.

I also find being able to check my Calendar helpful, again only to remind me of something I am doing today, not to schedule additional meetings, calls, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.