BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
71K views 93 replies 27 participants last post by  eclampsium 
#1 · (Edited)
iPhone 5 BMW F30 3 series integration

For the last week we've been testing our iPhone 5 with the Bimmerfest project 328i F30 3 series. We're pleased to report that everything is working as it should. Before jumping into our iPhone 5 testing we spent time with our iPhone 4 and the newly released iOS 6 (read article). With the faster speed of the A6 processor in the new phone pairing it to the F30 with Bluetooth or the USB cable for BMW ConnectedDrive seems a bit faster.

BMW snap-in Adapter

The big disappointment with the iPhone 5 in the F30 is the incompatible snap in adapter. The iPhone 5 is about half an inch longer then the 4/4S and uses the new Apple "lighting" connector. As you can see there is no way the old snap in adapter would work, even with an Lighting connection adapter. BMW has been quite about when we will see an iPhone 5 compatible snap in adapter. Tear downs of the Lighting cable show that Apple has embedded an authentication chip in the connector so BMW is probably in the process of licensing the technology from Apple.

BMW ConnectedDrive with the Apple iPhone 5

Overall the new features of the iPhone 5, which come from iOS6, are a great addition. Having the car read you text messages or emails is a neat feature. The integration is still a little clunky but it is much safer then using your phone while driving. I have a feeling there will be an upgrade for the car software from BMW in the next few months that will make the integration better as they continue to test with the iPhone 5.

Stay tuned for more iPhone 5 testing and updates for the BMW F30 3 series.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is BMW's statement on iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Compatibility?
BMW says "It is expected that all app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one***8217;s song library using the BMW and MINI controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps and MINI Connected to replicate the look of the iPhone interface will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed."

When will BMW release the iPhone 5 Snap In Adapter?
BMW has not committed to a specific date yet but has been busy testing iOS 6. BMW tends to move slowly on this type of thing so do not expect it anytime soon. I'm thinking spring of 2014

If you're running iOS 6 on the iPhone 4 or 4S add to our iOS6 topic.

Attachments

See less See more
1 5
#84 ·
Strange... I thought the iphone was already accessing the antenna becouse it's so good on the signal even inside my garage... Maybe it's becouse my 3gs didn't use to reach good signal there and the i5 reaches... Bit sad... I didn't want the cradle, as it will make me need to remove the iphone from it's daily protective case everytime and will make me forget him inside the car wen i leave it... The cable i just put it in front off the gear knob with the key so that i don't forget it when i leave the car...! Dam...
I think i'm just gonna trow an ipod there inside... :(

#85 ·
I have a 4s and the cradle; cannot notice any improvement in signal whatsoever when I have it docked. In addition the iPhone gets really hot when in the cradle which can't be good for it. I now use it only for charging which is quite rare anyway as the iPhone has pretty good battery life.

#92 ·
I've let a cable inside my car so when i want to connect it... it's there. Not shure how much eill the snap in add for me... But in my everyday use i make short distances, so it's not coole keep remooving the phone from my pocket and connecting it on the car and then disconnecting and putting back in my pocket... Not to mention it wouldn't be compatible with any phone cases i think... I just keep thiking Why the F* BMW didn't made adp for music too as a standart and not only calls! Every single cheap car and radio has it today! It's rediculous!

#94 ·
Well, that looks cool... but will not make me forgie BMW os the wrong direction they took by not implementing full BT music adp support on ALL the 3 series range. :mad:
At least with sucha adaptor you dont have to open the arm rest to put it there, but you still fixed to the "remoove from pocket, put it in your pocket again"routine...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.